Question Thread for New Year Bootcampers

(783 Posts)
BigStickBIWI Mon 07-Jan-13 16:14:54

As there are so many of us doing this, the chat thread is moving pretty quickly - and it means that lots of questions are being missed.

So here is a specific thread you to post any questions you might have about Bootcamp or low carbing.

n.b. i wasn't taking a magnesium supplement for constipation, just for general health, but i did find that as a side-effect i pooed more!

Ruprekt Sat 26-Jan-13 14:34:47

So, week 4 starts on Monday and I would like to request a new thread!

Also, do we keep on Bootcamp or Bootcamp Light for week 4?

Ruptekt worry not BIWI always starts a new week with a new thread!

And up to you about bootcamp light or not!

BIWI Sat 26-Jan-13 16:14:37

ScaredySquirrel - do I detect from your post that you're not drinking enough water?!

BIWI Sat 26-Jan-13 16:26:10

... and it sounds like you're worried about both not losing weight and suffering from constipation.

I know of no reason why eggs would stop you losing weight. In fact, they are perfect low carb food.

If you are getting your carbs from veg and salad (especially green, leafy veg), eating enough fat and drinking enough water, then you should not suffer from constipation. As Willie says, not going to the loo does not mean you are constipated - it's only if you are having difficulty going and are in pain when you try to go that you are constipated.

If you are following Bootcamp rules, then you will be losing weight. If you aren't, then you won't.

That said, see the post I made on the chat thread - it's very common in weeks 3 and 4 to see little or not weight loss - and sometimes even a slight gain.

So tell me what's going on! What are you doing/eating/drinking?

nappyaddict Sat 26-Jan-13 19:19:26

BIWI

Are there any juices we can have?

i have found v8 vegetable juice 3.2g carbs per 100ml

carrot juice 7g carbs per 100ml

Wheresmylifegone Sat 26-Jan-13 20:19:25

I've been lurking since the beginning of the year, having decided to look into lo-carb.. I found Zoe Harcombe's stuff really interesting & of course the masses of info on these threads has been just great! The result is, my DP & myself are both losing weight - he's down 18lbs since Jan 2!!! Now, my prob is he's beginning to worry about the amount of fat I say is ok - he said today he doesn't want to be slim with clogged arteries..
BIWI can you give me some wise words to stop the worrying? He's doing so well I couldn't bear it for him if he stopped.
Sorry for the long post but thanks so much all of you for sharing so much!!!!

Nappyaddict I wouldn't, too carby really. In theory the v8 I ok per 100ml but 100ml is not very much and you could easily overdo it. Juices are also v sweet and won't help break the craving for sugary things

Welcome wheremylifegone - I am not very good with explanations for these things so someone else will answer your question better, but my understanding is that research has shown that it's not dietary cholesterol (if that's what your h is worried about) that causes 'clogged arteries'

Wheresmylifegone Sun 27-Jan-13 09:36:55

ThanksWillie . Yes - butter & fat on meat particularly. We are both "graduates" from the low fat world of Slimming (see what I did there?!) and shaking their ethos is a bit hard at times.

ScaredySquirrel Sun 27-Jan-13 09:46:59

No you're right - not constipated just not going as regularly. Weight loss is going well really.

Unfortunately dd4 in hospital and I've had toast and weetabix now! It's a slippery slope to the chocolate...

I was doing so well too!

Oh no sorry to hear that. Hope she is doing ok. All bets are off eating wise under the circumstances. Do look after yourself too

mumat39 Sun 27-Jan-13 14:09:39

Hello everyone. Hope you're having a good weekend.

I've just remembered a recipe I saw on tv (qvc) and I just made some a really enjoyed it! So wondering now, if this is okay???

A few frozen blueberries
Double cream to cover

I pulse blitzed them in a food blender that can manage ice, and made some blueberry ice cream. I had no sugar in it and it was yummy. So I know dairy might not be good for everyone, but does this sound like it's ok. I assumed t was which is why I had some. I am amazed at how I didn't miss the sugar at all.

mumat39 Sun 27-Jan-13 14:13:04

Scaredy, sorry to hear about your daughter. Hope she's feeling better soon. Take care. xxx

BIWI Sun 27-Jan-13 22:14:10

Wheresmylifegone - welcome! You might like to read this

Hopefully this will help reassure you.

There's loads of stuff around to support the fact that fat doesn't make you fat and that fat doesn't lead to coronary heart disease, but it's really difficult to believe/accept, given the very good job that the anti-fat brigade have done over the last 30 years or so.

BIWI Sun 27-Jan-13 22:15:14
BIWI Sun 27-Jan-13 22:17:07

Losing weight is one thing - and it's fabulous - but if you want to commit to low carb/high fat eating for the long term, it's a really good idea to do some reading about it. At the very least it will reassure you. It will also help you to refute the arguments you will get from others about this being an unhealthy way to eat.

I can seriously recommend that you read Dr John Briffa's book "Escape the Diet Trap", and Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat (and What to Do About It)" and "The Diet Delusion".

nappyaddict Mon 28-Jan-13 08:58:54

Loads of people keep telling me I'm going to have a heart attack too. I will have to read up more about that because I haven't been able to give much supporting evidence that it won't even though I trust/believe in this way of eating.

nappyaddict Mon 28-Jan-13 10:19:26

Oh BIWI quick question. Are we allowed fresh figs? I can only find the dried carb count

googling suggests fresh figs 15-20g carbs per 100g, so too high really i'm afraid

Wheresmylifegone Mon 28-Jan-13 23:19:58

Many thanks to everyone & to BIWI for your response. Off to do more reading!

nappyaddict Fri 01-Feb-13 16:18:57

BIWI

How come on the veg carb counter on the spreadsheet there are 2 values for carrots?

BIWI Fri 01-Feb-13 17:19:53

One is for young carrots and one is for old carrots. However, as I have no bloody clue how you tell if a carrot is young or old, I always assume the higher carb count.

I should try and find more out about that, actually ...

BIWI Fri 01-Feb-13 17:21:59

Well, weightlossresources.co.uk give carrots as 4.4g per 100g, so mid-way between the two counts on the veg list!

BIWI Fri 01-Feb-13 17:24:30

nappyaddict - have a watch of this

It's pretty long, but the first 10 minutes should tell you what you need to know - i.e. that it's not fat that causes weight gain.

Read "Escape the Diet Trap" (Dr John Briffa) who debunks the whole notion that fat causes heart disease. And for the background on how fat came to be so vilified.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now