Question Thread for New Year Bootcampers

(783 Posts)
BigStickBIWI Mon 07-Jan-13 16:14:54

As there are so many of us doing this, the chat thread is moving pretty quickly - and it means that lots of questions are being missed.

So here is a specific thread you to post any questions you might have about Bootcamp or low carbing.

BlackAffronted Sun 20-Jan-13 15:11:15

Buttermilk? Yay or nay? I like to use it in coleslaw, and also for brining chicken.

BigStickBIWI Sun 20-Jan-13 16:24:41

Buttermilk is quite carby - 9.7g carbs per 100ml. You would be much better off (especially as there will be a reasonable amount of carbs in the coleslaw from the carrot/cabbage) using oil/vinegar and mayo.

Valdeeves Sun 20-Jan-13 16:31:16

BIWI and Ruprekt - thanks for your help!

blackaffronted you said about the pork rolls from morrisons on the main thread - how did you cook it please?

HeyHoHereWeGo Sun 20-Jan-13 17:22:03

Thanks BIWI

Valdeeves Sun 20-Jan-13 21:01:58

Quick questions I just want to check with you:

1. I'm getting my water intake through sparkling water - if I add a slice of lime or lemon will that effect my ketosis?
2. Likewise if I add lime to food?
3. The best drink is vodka and soda water is the best drink?
4. If I stay on full Bootcamp rather than Bootcamp lite will I lose more weight?

Thanks for your help!

Ruprekt Sun 20-Jan-13 23:02:26

Cucumber has been recommended to add to water Val. Lime and lemon have high carbs.

2. lime has high carbs

3. Apparantly so.

4. Not sure.

grin

Ruprekt Sun 20-Jan-13 23:03:30

And can I just check...................

Are we allowed on BCLight SALTED PEANUTS????? YES I AM SHOUTING WITH HAPPINESS AND ANTICIPATION!! 3.6g per 50g!!

AND PEANUT BUTTER PERHAPS???????????????????

BIWI Sun 20-Jan-13 23:14:22

Valdeeves:

1. I'm getting my water intake through sparkling water - if I add a slice of lime or lemon will that effect my ketosis?
the amount of carbs you will be adding will be neglible
2. Likewise if I add lime to food?
depends on how much - but not likely to be that bad - but be careful, 1 lime is apparently 3.2g carbs
3. The best drink is vodka and soda water is the best drink?
yes, along with rum and soda
4. If I stay on full Bootcamp rather than Bootcamp lite will I lose more weight?
as your carbs will be lower, then yes - in theory!

mumat39 Sun 20-Jan-13 23:38:07

Hello.

I'm still finding I have very tired legs and just tired generally. I'm taking a muti vitamin and am eating avocados for potassium.

I'm struggling with drinking 3 ltrs of water. What are the effects of too many ketones in the body?

Thanks again BIWI, I haven't been managing to keep up with the bootcamp threads so will there be a new one for the next phase of bootcamp?

Thanks so much.

BIWI Sun 20-Jan-13 23:53:51

mumat39 - are you eating enough salt? And what about fat?

You need to make sure you are drinking the water, as this flushes out the ketones/fat.

Write out for me what you've been eating over the last 3-4 days and let me see if there's anything obvious I can help you with.

There is a week three chat thread here

mumat39 Sun 20-Jan-13 23:59:02

Thanks BIWI.

This weeks been a bit odd as I've had toothache which was sorted on Thursday but I still can't eat properly.

Anyway,
Today
B avocado with lots of olive oil salt and pepper
L avocado, chicken slices, cucumber with loads of ff hellmans
E left over from lunch plus half a creamed cabbage.

Yesterday
B avocado with lots of olive oil, salt and pepper
L poached chicken, cucumber, lettuce and lots of mayo
D baked swede with lots of mayo

I can't remember the previous day. Sorry.

Thanks again. I live in a three storey house and walking up one flight is really affecting my legs.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 21-Jan-13 00:04:29

Midnight and should be asleep but have really baddderly got the munchies

BIWI Mon 21-Jan-13 00:10:24

Pistey - go to bed!

BIWI Mon 21-Jan-13 00:12:55

mumat39

It doesn't look like you're eating very much. And not much protein. Where is your meat/fish? Why are you restricting what you are eating so much - I'm not surprised you don't have any energy!

You must eat properly. Meat/fish, with lots of fat, and then veg/salad.

This WOE is not about restricting calories or depriving ourselves. You have to eat good, decent food.

mumat39 Mon 21-Jan-13 00:18:58

Thanks BIWI

Tbh, I'm not restricting what i eat, i just haven't felt that hungry and when I do eat I've been getting full quite quickly.

I'll try and up my protein. Thanks. I'm actually eating more on this woe than I have in the last few years. I'm still learning, so thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Sorry if I sound a bit dim. blush

hazchem Mon 21-Jan-13 03:36:43

Good to hear I'm not alone then MrsHP

Hello Gless Doing pretty well although are in quite a high fire danger area so are experiencing 45 degree days but not being able to stay at home because our property is too dangerous!
On more positive notes I've enrolled to do a degree online and it looks like we might be able to move out of my parents house soon. reading thought bootcamp helps keep me sane!

BIWI Mon 21-Jan-13 09:38:12

Oi! Stop talking like that, mumat39! You are not dim at all! This WOE is so different from how we have been eating before/how we have been told how to eat it's not surprising it takes some time to get the hang of it!

PennyHofstadter Mon 21-Jan-13 09:39:26

I have a whole head of cauliflower in my fridge that needs using... does anyone have a good recipe for soup that I could use it for?

mumat39 Mon 21-Jan-13 09:46:07

Thanks BIWI. I do feel completely ignorant of how to eat. I've had loads of paracetamol the last week and have felt a bit icky.

I know I probably shouldn't but I've had a protein shake for breakfast. It's a few too many carbs, but i think I'm going to take some whilst I get 'used to ' eating more protein and will then stop taking it. Before my toothache, so for the first week, I was eating better, promise.

I've only lost 1.5 lbs this week, so I'm going to try and stick to bootcamp this week and try and get back on track.

Thanks again for all your help and advice. I really thought I was doing well but now I know where I'm going wrong I can try and fix it. thanks

BIWI Mon 21-Jan-13 10:15:59

Penny - How about this one?

Use shallots rather than onion, and be careful how much wine you add - but otherwise, it looks pretty low in carbs.

mumat39 - no worries. Why not try eating yoghurt for breakfast instead of a protein shake? Not only will they be carby, they contain all manner of artificial ingredients.

mumat39 Mon 21-Jan-13 10:39:20

Hey BIWI. I'd love to eat yogurt but last time I had some it made me feel really unwell. I do have an intolerance to dairy so since then I've been avoiding having too much other than milk in tea/coffee and cream in the creamed cabbage. I occasionally have had Philly but find it unsettles my stomach. It's a real pain tbh. Thanks again.

BIWI Mon 21-Jan-13 10:39:51

Ah. Yes - we don't want you poorly!

Ruprekt Mon 21-Jan-13 15:25:29

Ummm, about the salted peanut question????? Can we have them?

BlackAffronted Mon 21-Jan-13 16:15:10

Pork rind - I rolled it out, smothered it in salt & left out on the side for half an hour. Then an hour in the oven at its hottest temp. It will bubble up. Take it out & let it cool. (or liek me, until I can eat it without burning my fingers lol)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now