Question Thread for New Year Bootcampers

(783 Posts)
BigStickBIWI Mon 07-Jan-13 16:14:54

As there are so many of us doing this, the chat thread is moving pretty quickly - and it means that lots of questions are being missed.

So here is a specific thread you to post any questions you might have about Bootcamp or low carbing.

QuickLookBusy Fri 18-Jan-13 19:32:42

Thanks BIWI, that's reassuring.

I actually think I am missing making the bread tbh, but this afternoon I found a lovely recipe for almond crackers. Had some for tea with cheese and salad and they were delicious! It also satisfied my need to bake and will be making more.

I'm sure I got the recipe from one of these threads, will have a look and pop it on the recipe thread if it's not there.

Ruprekt Fri 18-Jan-13 19:39:41

QLB - Did you eat the almond crackers while doing bootcamp.

Would love a recipe for them please.

Am missing a crunch tonight. I am craving crisps or crackers andTheBigBoxOfCheddarsInTheCupboard and DH misses pizza.

Still going strong though.

BigStickBIWI Fri 18-Jan-13 19:43:39

Don't give in, Ruprekt! You will just undo all that good work!

prettybird Fri 18-Jan-13 19:45:00

So can I eat my home-made chicken nuggets or not? smile

Ruprekt Fri 18-Jan-13 19:47:50

I wont give in!

QuickLookBusy Fri 18-Jan-13 19:53:17

Yes Ruprekt, I'm just nearing the end of week 2 of bootcamp.

I have searched MN but can't find the recipe, so must have got it from somewhere else.

It's 100g of ground almonds mixed with an egg white. Mix up and make into little balls.

Line a baking tray with baking parchment and put the almond balls on it. Squash down to make a cracker shape and so they are quite thin.(I did try to roll them with a rolling pin but that was a disaster without flour.)
I then sprinkled them with salt.

Bake for 8-10 mins on 170°C.

They really did feel like a biscuit but without the horrible sweetness. The almonds are 7gs of carbs per 100gs, so a few a day will be fine. I hope

prettybird I'd have to say no. Cn you try some just rolled in parmesan perhaps?

quicklookbusy would you be able to put that in the recipes section sometime? They sound nice...

Ruprekt
Could you make some cheese crisps?

Grate strong cheese/ Parmesan put into little piles on a greased baking sheet and cook in oven fir few mins. Let them cool then they will be crunchy

prettybird Fri 18-Jan-13 20:20:04

Too late - they're already made! blush It was about half and half parmesan to breadcrumbs though - only a few tablespoons of breadcrumbs for the whole batch.

I'll make sure to nab the larger pieces, so that it is a higher proportion of meat to breadcrumb grin

And now that I remember - the breadcrumbs themselves are from a home-made loaf, so I know that there was very little sugar in it.

Jacaqueen Fri 18-Jan-13 21:25:51

Ground up pork scratchings mixed with Parmesan makes a good coating for chicken.

Ruprekt Fri 18-Jan-13 21:38:46

I have the solution to my cravings.

Bed with a bottle of water!

prettybird Fri 18-Jan-13 21:44:34

I'll remember that for future jacaqueen . Thanks smile.

By the way, the chicken nuggets were very nice even if I probably did end up eating about 1/2 a tbsp of breadcrumbs! grin

Pretty - I'm afraid the bread itself is basically a more complex form of sugar, sorry.

Question: the one thing I am struggling with is that I'm feeling a bit queasy and that the meals are a bit too fatty for me - is it ok to have a but less fat and see how it goes? Am struggling to eat a bit and not feeling hungry.

Also I have a dodgy tummy but a few people have also mentioned that so I'm guessing it is a transition to woe/ketosis thing (I didn't do the full blown ketosis diet last time I low carbed so ketosis is a new thing for me; the diet i did last time was lowish carb but mainly about tracking GL and keeping blood sugar stable, and eating less through filling up on veg and protein).

Also we had takeaway Vietnamese last night so had prawns with pak choi, soup of stock with tofu and pak choi, fried tofu and egg fried with veg and cucumber sticks/shredded spring onion (please tell me tofu is ok on Bootcamp BIWI - it is on Atkins but I know this is not Atkins!)

prettybird Sat 19-Jan-13 09:32:50

I know it is - but at least it didn't have too simple carbohydrates in it, and as "home proved" bread, didn't have accelerated yeast in it. grin

Anyway, having worked out the proportions of the ingredients, I probably had half a tbsp of breadcrumbs. Added to the other carbs I had in the day (a few handfuls of rocket, half an avocado and two small spring onions) and the milk I had in some tea, I was probably within acceptable limits! smile

Anyway, I dropped another pound this morning - 5lb so far this week, 11lb in total since the start of Bootcamp smilesmile. Not expecting this rate of loss to continue but it's a good start!grin

prettybird Sat 19-Jan-13 09:34:17

"too many simple carbohydrates..."

BigStickBIWI Sat 19-Jan-13 13:56:52

Choos - if it's making you queasy then no point carrying on with it - just be careful you don't end up introducing too much protein or too many carbs. Tofu is fine, as long as you are aware of its carb count c.f. zero carbs for meat. (Very envious that you have a takeaway Vietnamese!)

pretty - thanks on the 11lbs! Fantastic.

Ruprekt Sat 19-Jan-13 15:05:34

Damn! I have several butternut squashes in my fridge.

Are they a definite NO?

7g carb per 100g.

If DH shared 100g this would be 3.5g. Still too high?

Am annoyed if I have to waste it. (though could make soup for children)

Ruprekt, if you make them into soup you can water it down quite a lot so you get less carbs, you can add a bit of cream to re-thicken it at the end. Weight how much butternut squash you are using to start and then you'll know roughly how many per portion. It sometimes comes in my vegetable box and I do this with squashes and beetroots...

ps add cinnamon and nutmeg to flavour the soup it is delish!

Ruprekt Sat 19-Jan-13 15:28:16

Good idea.

Will do that AsSoonAsICanMoveMyLazyArseOffTheComputer now.

Can anyone tell me what I can take for indigestion? I only have rennies and they have sugar in, will 2 rennies ruin everything? It buuuurns!

BigStickBIWI Sat 19-Jan-13 18:29:43

Can you go and get some Zantac?

Not tonight, I'll get some for next time though! Cheers smile

BigStickBIWI Sat 19-Jan-13 20:08:04

Zantac + Gaviscon sorts me out. I don't get it very often, but if I'm under stress at work/home, this tends to result in heartburn. But I have no idea what is in Gaviscon, actually. TBH, when I've been suffering from it, the ingredients have been the last thing I was interested in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now