Threads in this topic will auto-delete after 90 days.

Anyone else quit smoking, and needs to lose a few stone?

(15 Posts)
2013willbeMYyear Sat 12-Jan-13 10:39:44

Hey, how are you both doing?

Well, still no smoking :D very pleased with that in itself!! Saturdays are my weigh in days, too, and I have lost 5lbs shock shock

I really wasn't expecting to lose that much. But I am chuffed, and it was the very thing that I needed to keep me going smile

Roll on that Little Black Dress!!!

2013willbeMYyear Wed 09-Jan-13 15:55:03

Mine seems to be early morning and early afternoon that the worst cravings are. But they seem to pass after about 5-10 minutes so just have to get through it and grit my teeth haha.

I know, can't believe how early the Easter stuff is going on the shelves. They have basically replaced the Christmas stuff with it! Far too early yet.

I know what you mean though, I am EXACTLY the same. I can't just have one, so will have to go without instead. It will be worth it!!

My skin is terrible! I'm hoping with quitting smoking, and drinking plenty of water will make it much better. And cancer seems to be rife in my family, so it is something else that I don't want so quitting lowers my chances.

I have done the Just Dance on the Wii, and will be jumping on the exercise bike after dinner to burn extra calories off. I'm the same, don't want to be skinny. Never have been. Even when I was weighing 9st 4lbs, I barely ever could squeeze into a size 10, because my bum and boobs are too big lol. So I will be happy with a size 12 really.

Good luck to you, too smile

BunFagFreddie Wed 09-Jan-13 13:53:56

It's funny that you mentioned cravings, because I've had some strong ones too. The bed time fag craving is the worst and it's stopping me from getting to sleep. I am popping a sugar free mint when it gets really bad or doing some deep breathing and having a cup of green or herbal tea.

You should be proud of yourself for resisting the mini eggs, although Easter stuff in the shops already. confused The "Well, just this one wouldn't hurt" feeling is all too familar and can easily turn into "I'll just have one more"! For me anyway. grin

There's no point in being thin if you have black lungs! I don't want to be skinny, but I'm aiming to be fit, strong, toned and a healthy weight. You can't really be fit if you smoke. The incentive of having better skin as a non smoker is good motivation. smile

Good luck for today 2013. You're doing really well.

2013willbeMYyear Wed 09-Jan-13 13:22:52

Haha, I know that feeling. I'm going to just go the shops 1 day a week for the weeks worth, and then I only have to resist temptation on that 1 day. Easier said than done though eh?

BunFagFreddie Wed 09-Jan-13 11:43:11

2013, you're doing really well. Today is another day and we're still not smoking, so that's great.

I'll just have to void shops when I'm hungry.

Be back later. smile

2013willbeMYyear Wed 09-Jan-13 10:56:03

Thank you. Sorry I wasn't around last night, I had had no sleep at all the previous night and I ended up falling asleep at 7pm and sleeping through like a baby!

Still no smoking, and I behaved myself yesterday. I had a ham salad sandwich for breakfast, and for lunch I had a fat free muller light yoghurt with some grapes, followed by a banana a couple of hours later, and then I had a beef red wine casserole weight watchers dinner, bulked up with plenty of veg before going to bed. Did quite a bit of walking yesterday, but I didn't get on the bike or do the Wii Just Dance as I could barely keep my head up. But today I feel more on my feet smile

Of course you can come here for moral support. Our willpower is going to get tested A LOT over the next few months, so we can give each other encouragement and not feel alone whilst doing so.

I shall have a look at those recipes. I haven't seen it (I barely ever get control of the tv remote!) but I will have a look out for it. Your plan sounds fantastic! With some willpower, you will look amazing grin

Hello freaky, well done on quitting smoking and good luck with the diet! Never heard of that one either (I must live inside a box or something haha!) but let us know how you get on with it. Are you using anything to help you quit smoking?

I was rather proud of myself yesterday. I was in the shops and they had mini eggs practically everywhere I looked! I got soooooo tempted, saying to myself "One bag wouldn't hurt..." even got as far as picking a bag up. But, I then quickly fought the temptation, put them down quickly, then got in the queue and out of there s quickly as I could!! That was always my problem, always thinking "Well, just this one wouldn't hurt" when in fact, it was. I was slowly piling the pounds on. But not anymore grin

Also this morning, I really was craving a fag, to the point I swore I could taste one. I just tried to focus on something else and brushed my teeth and it soon passed. Anyone else finding the odd random cravings are slightly getting worse?

BunFagFreddie Tue 08-Jan-13 23:34:24

FreakyLookingStupidTurtle, let us know how the diet goes. How is your smoking going?

Snowkey , wow, that's good to hear, well done you! Do you still get any cravings?

Arghh! I do martial arts on a Tuesday. It is 1.5 to 2 hours depending on how the instructor is feeling, tonight was a long session. It's the first session since before Xmas. I also did the 30 day shred this morning. I came home and was very, very hungry.

I had a chocolate spead sarnie and a big bag of cashew nuts. sad On the good side, still no smoking.

Is it ok to post for moral support next time this happens?

Snowkey Tue 08-Jan-13 20:42:21

Good luck, I quit smoking 19 years ago, it was tough, but everyday gets a little bit easier - just tackle one day at a time.

FreakyLookingStupidTurtle Tue 08-Jan-13 20:19:31

I've also recently stopped smoking and also need to lose 5 stones! I've ordered a sample pack of the slim & save diet and I'm going to be giving that a try when it arrives.

BunFagFreddie Tue 08-Jan-13 18:26:37

I hope you feel better soon 2013. I feel like someone's stabbing me at the top of my nose too, my glands and my chest hurts are swollen. It must be a viral infection. The Champix is working really well, thanks for asking.

I'll not be drinking for a while, it's sabotaged all of my previous quitting attempts. I haven't got much willpower either, but I need to go shopping later which will require restraint!

Bulking meals up with veg sounds like a great idea. Have you seen the show Hairy Dieters, where the Hairy Bikers lose weight? They come up with healthy and low calorie versions of scrummy food. Here are the recipes. Some of them look really good, like the pies and muffins. grin It may come in handy when it's PMT time!

I got some lovely new clothes before Crimbo and they are already on the verge of being too snug. So, here is my plan.

Cut out all refined carbs and No sugar apart from having a really nice cheat meal once a week. Eat 5 small meals a day with lean protein, healthy carbs and a little fat to fill me up. This helps prevent low blood sugar and feeling too hungry, which can lead to binges. Don't let the food get boring though!

Exercise twice a day. Once in the morning on an empty stomach, also known as cardio in a fasted state. Again before dinner. The sessions only need to be 30 mins long and this really fires up your metabolism.

Incorporate resistance training and cardio to boost metabolism. 30 Day Shred and other Jillian Michaels DVD's should do the job! Building lean muscle mass increases your basal metabolic rate, so you burn more calories. You have still to make sure that you don't cancel it out by eating chocolate though. sad

Drink plenty of water and green tea.

DON'T SMOKE - EVER AGAIN!

2013willbeMYyear Tue 08-Jan-13 17:29:22

Yes, I do have a cough and sore throat, and feel like something is stabbing me at the top of my nose. I thought it would be to do with the quitting smoking, but I had quite a large lump in my neck which was sore so went the doctors today. Turns out the lump is a swollen lympth node due to a viral infection so turns out I am feeling worse than I should be, which I am relieved at, as I was dreading feeling like this for a few more weeks to come!

I am definitely cutting down a lot on drinking to help. There is no need for it, and it is all extra calories which make it that bit harder, or longer, to lose weight.

I'm not really a lover of beans, and definitely not pulses. But I will be bulking up meals with veg, which will make sure I get my 5 a day too. I really want to boost my health overall, as it is rather shite to say the least lol.

Yep, I am with you on the crisps, chocolate and biscuits too. Too much temptation, and I haven't got the best of willpowers.

How are you finding the Champix?

BunFagFreddie Tue 08-Jan-13 08:42:08

I'm on day 8 now, but I'm using Champix, which is really helping. Are you having sinus pain and a sore throat? I'm not sure whether these are symptoms of stopping smoking, or if it's just a cold!

I put on weight the last couple of times I quit and it was a lot more than the 5 to 10 lbs they estimate. More like 3 stone! Although I did manage to lose it again during one of those attempts.

Stopping drinking is always a good way to lose a few pounds. I don't know if you would like this, but I lost weight last year (while still smoking). I was filling up on beans and pulses, which are nutritious and low in calories. They are really satisfying and are good for bulking out meals. I found they also filled me up and stopped me from snaking. Having avocado as a treat also worked for me.

I've also banned crisps, biccies and other temptation from the house. Tbh, this is a good thing anyway.

You'll get into that wedding dress! If we keep moving and stay away from temptation, we should be fine.

2013willbeMYyear Tue 08-Jan-13 06:32:29

Fantastic grin and thank you!! How long have you been an ex smoker for now? Are you using anything to help? I'm using patches and the inhalators, although finding I barely use the inhalators.

I am kind of nervous. Previous attempts at giving up smoking, lead to me putting weight on. Hoping concentrating on both things at once that there won't be a repeat!

I am getting married also in 2014, and I have completely and utterly fell in love with a dress. But, it is quite fitting around the waist and stomach, so I won't get away with wearing it with my extra tyre haha!

I'm not sure how it really works tbh. Is there things that can help the tar and crap get off your chest quicker? I keep coughing at the moment, and so does the youngest with a fever. I just hope that my coughing is due to the quitting smoking.

Got a lot of walking to do today, so will speed walk instead. Every little helps grin

Well done to you too, let's keep up the good work!

BunFagFreddie Tue 08-Jan-13 00:05:37

Hi and congratulations on doing so well. I would love a stop smoking and fitness buddy!

I don't need to lose 5 st, but I would like to lose a few pounds.

I'm cutting out booze altogether, but mainly because I know it gives me an insane craving for nicotine.

I am doing the 30 day shred and some other Jillian Michaels DVD's. As an ex heavy smoker, I'm working on shifting that tar as quickly as possible. Just do what you can. I think the coughing is a good thing, because it means your lungs are starting to function properly and they are clearing out the tar. Steaming with olbas oil could help with the tightness in your chest. If we're trying to lose weight and stop smoking, we need a plan!

2013willbeMYyear Mon 07-Jan-13 14:07:56

I decided that I want to leave 2013 much healthier than I entered it. I am now on day 7 of being smoke free (YAY) and I am cutting down on booze, and I am going to eat a lot more healthily and lose the 5st that I have put on over the years since having my 2 DC.

I have an exercise bike, which I shall be using 3 times a week, and also have the Wii Just Dance 3 which I will be using to get fitter. I also want to aim to do the couch to 5k but I want to give my chest some time to get over all the years of smoking, as I currently can't run to the end of the road without my chest feeling like it is being crushed and coughing my guts up!! and I practically live at the end of the road!

So, anyone else who could do with a health kick buddy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now