Week 1 - New Year Low Carb Bootcamp - And We're Off!

(1000 Posts)
BigStickBIWI Mon 07-Jan-13 07:40:33

Morning, soon-to-be-losers!

Come and confess all on the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness

Here is a reminder of the rules of Bootcamp:

1.Eat three, proper meals a day
You must eat breakfast. It doesn’t have to be a lot, but you must have something. For the rest of the day, if you’re eating enough food and you are in ketosis then you shouldn’t be hungry. But if you are hungry, eat something. (Hard boiled eggs make a great snack)

2.Avoid processed food, and focus on pure, natural protein as the basis for your meals – meat/fish/eggs.
Things like sausages, ham, bacon, pre-prepared burgers etc should be avoided as much as possible. Avoid foods marketed as low carb, e.g. Atkins Daybreak bars.

3.Maximise your fat intake.
Fry in butter, add butter to vegetables, eat salad with a home-made vinaigrette dressing (not made with balsamic vinegar though), add mayonnaise where you can (just check the carb count on your mayo first). Eat fattier cuts of meat – e.g. pork belly, roast chicken with the skin on and/or eat the fat off your lamb chops. Absolutely no low fat/light foods of any kind!

4.Make sure you are eating vegetables and salads with your food – this is where your carbs should come from.
But choose only those vegetables that are on the allowed list (see below). You don’t have to weigh/count carbs – this is one of the great joys of this WOE (way of eating), but if you’re new to low carbing it can be helpful to weigh your portions of veg in the early days, just so that you know how many carbs are in the sort of portions that you like to eat

5.Minimal dairy (apart from butter, which is unlimited).
If you are still drinking tea/coffee with milk or cream, try to restrict yourself to max 2 cups per day. You may eat cheese, but only in small amounts.

6.You must drink a minimum of 2 litres of water per day.
The more weight you have to lose, the more water you should drink

7.No alcohol

8.No fruit

9.No nuts/seeds

10.No sugar or artificial sweeteners

BigStickBIWI Thu 10-Jan-13 10:32:06

Ah. I'm with you slatternly! grin

Curses on me that I haven't made you miserable ...

PlatoonBuffoon Thu 10-Jan-13 10:36:11

Good morning ladies. Thanks to gless, piste and ginot for your exercise advice and experiences way upt thread. It's good to know I have low carb company in my training, most real life people think its a bonkers approach to running, but thanks to slatternly I can now inwardly call them sugary twats and feel all superior.

BlackAffronted Thu 10-Jan-13 10:42:51

Awww, the snowmageddon has been downgraded, no panic afterall! Was looking forward to a bit of sledging!

Had a yummy homemade prawn coleslaw for breakfast. Not sure about lunch yet, need some insipration.

prettybird Thu 10-Jan-13 10:45:23

Still on 99% BootCamp (the exception being the excess teas with milk - but I'm only having a splash and I'm trying to swap them for rooibos which I can drink without milk) and drinking loads of water and waking up in the night to go to the loo

12stone 11lb this morning - that's 5lb since Monday smile Even if it's a slight aberration, it still means that over the week I'm sure to have had a significant loss.

Have also managed to do Ripped in 30 every day this week smile

Feeling good - although dh has told me that my breath is off blush

Also <TMI alert> haven't had a poo since Monday blush should aid the weight loss when it comes wink

NoelHeadbands Thu 10-Jan-13 10:46:46

I'm off to the dentist at lunchtime, hope my breath doesn't knock him out.

NoelHeadbands Thu 10-Jan-13 10:48:52

Is it sad to admit that often the first thing I do after a substantial poo is jump on the scales? blush

Just kidding, I don't do that really.

yes, yes I do

NoveltySlippers Thu 10-Jan-13 10:55:02

Good morning/elevenses everyone!

Am really happy today - no less than SIX people have asked me if I've lost loads of weight at work. Woo hoo!

Thank you BIWI and thank you low carbing!

This is a slightly rhetorical question, and thus not worthy of the question thread, but has anyone noticed how hard it is to buy full fat yoghurt if you're in a medium to small sized supermarket?

Yesterday I went to both a small M&S and a Tesco Metro and all the yoghurts were bloomin' low fat. What's all that about, eh?

NoveltySlippers Thu 10-Jan-13 10:57:04

NoelHeadbands - thank goodness I'm not the only one who does that blush

And are you slightly massively disappointed in the morning when you want to weigh yourself but haven't 'been' yet?!

BlackAffronted Thu 10-Jan-13 10:58:08

prettybird, Ive been doing this a week now, and I have only been for a poo once shock Im hoping I go soon, as I am starting to feel a ittle blocked .... tmi

NoelHeadbands Thu 10-Jan-13 11:00:46

Novelty yes! I look at that half pound showing and think damn you bowel <shakes fist>

Doshusallie Thu 10-Jan-13 11:10:12

Novelty - yes and it winds me up no end. My local Tescos only does low fat Total.

Lidl greek yog for brekkie. Still a pound up this morning, hoping for it to be gone by tomorrow.

Chocberry Thu 10-Jan-13 11:31:41

Everyone is doing so well. Its day 7 for me and weighed myself for the 1st time and I've lost 7 pounds which I'm pleased with. My clothes don't feel any different so the weight must be glycogen/water. At least now the fat will start burning!
So much support on this thread, keep going everyone smile

Just popping in to say thanks for the Lidl yogurt recommendation! DP slightly disconcerted when I came home with two giant tubs of it last night, but mega value and have just scarfed a dollop for breakfast. Also, their smoked gammon steaks do not contain added sugar (unlike Tesco). They also currently have enormous bags of sliced kale for 89p. So hurrah for Lidl all round.

yy novelty, and fattier mince or stewing steak (it's all bloody lean, you have to look right down at the back of the bottom shelf for the fattier stuff), unless you decide to splash out on the luxury brand (which I do for shin beef - the taste the difference stuff is worth it and actually not too expensive)

slatternlymother Thu 10-Jan-13 11:54:01

Yesterday I went to Lidl and they had sold out of full fat yoghurt and frozen leeks. That was me. I have a predilection for full fat yoghurt with frozen leeks stirred in.

Can anyone think of something I can have with my steak tonight? Seeing as BIWI has banned me from having peas. The beast. I'm already sulking because now I have to go to bloody Sainsburys.

Lifeisontheup Thu 10-Jan-13 12:00:47

Make a a sauce with pepper and cream and have peppered steak with rocket salad. Lovely to soak up the sauce.

BigStickBIWI Thu 10-Jan-13 12:04:38

Mmmm. Savoury yoghurt ...

grin

GibbsGirl Thu 10-Jan-13 12:06:38

Tel us what you have in the fridge/freezer Slatternly and maybe we'll get some inspiration for something weird exciting

BigStickBIWI Thu 10-Jan-13 12:11:04

This thread is almost full!

Here is a continuation chat thread

GibbsGirl Thu 10-Jan-13 12:12:27

Oh and thank you to BIWI I had more water yesterday and feeling much less bloated today! Apparantly an extra half a litre of water does make a difference blush

BigStickBIWI Thu 10-Jan-13 12:14:16

grin

<slosh>

Hi everyone! Feeling stuffed and bloated today, I had a coffee with cream and vanilla (must get some low-carb!) extract for brekkie and didn't eat anything until just now when I had a ham and egg salad with mayo and a bit of coleslaw. I think because I didn't eat at breakfast I overate at lunch!
Got a greasy mouth and I'm mega thirsty, I'm hoping this is a good thing!

BigStickBIWI Thu 10-Jan-13 12:43:15

bullet - in these first two weeks, you do need to make sure you're eating breakfast. We're aiming to keep our blood sugar stable and therefore hunger at bay.

This thread is moving way too fast for me!

I'm doing OK and went to my first military fitness class yesterday which I am feeling today :-D

I'm managing everything except for breakfast. I can't cope with eggs so have opted for Total yoghurt & berries. I know it's cheating but it's the least bad option I can face.

Last night we had lovely pork chops with cauliflower, tonight we have burgers & celeriac mash.

Feel OK though. No carb flu to speak of as yet which is a massive improvement on last time.

LucyVFood Thu 10-Jan-13 13:14:23

I got on the scales this morning [fool]. I haven't lost anything since I got weighed on Sunday morning. I've got to say that I'm really pissed off. I've followed everything AND I've been shredding.

And this will be the last message on this thread and no one will see it sad

This thread is not accepting new messages.