Week 1 - New Year Low Carb Bootcamp - And We're Off!

(1000 Posts)
BigStickBIWI Mon 07-Jan-13 07:40:33

Morning, soon-to-be-losers!

Come and confess all on the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness

Here is a reminder of the rules of Bootcamp:

1.Eat three, proper meals a day
You must eat breakfast. It doesn’t have to be a lot, but you must have something. For the rest of the day, if you’re eating enough food and you are in ketosis then you shouldn’t be hungry. But if you are hungry, eat something. (Hard boiled eggs make a great snack)

2.Avoid processed food, and focus on pure, natural protein as the basis for your meals – meat/fish/eggs.
Things like sausages, ham, bacon, pre-prepared burgers etc should be avoided as much as possible. Avoid foods marketed as low carb, e.g. Atkins Daybreak bars.

3.Maximise your fat intake.
Fry in butter, add butter to vegetables, eat salad with a home-made vinaigrette dressing (not made with balsamic vinegar though), add mayonnaise where you can (just check the carb count on your mayo first). Eat fattier cuts of meat – e.g. pork belly, roast chicken with the skin on and/or eat the fat off your lamb chops. Absolutely no low fat/light foods of any kind!

4.Make sure you are eating vegetables and salads with your food – this is where your carbs should come from.
But choose only those vegetables that are on the allowed list (see below). You don’t have to weigh/count carbs – this is one of the great joys of this WOE (way of eating), but if you’re new to low carbing it can be helpful to weigh your portions of veg in the early days, just so that you know how many carbs are in the sort of portions that you like to eat

5.Minimal dairy (apart from butter, which is unlimited).
If you are still drinking tea/coffee with milk or cream, try to restrict yourself to max 2 cups per day. You may eat cheese, but only in small amounts.

6.You must drink a minimum of 2 litres of water per day.
The more weight you have to lose, the more water you should drink

7.No alcohol

8.No fruit

9.No nuts/seeds

10.No sugar or artificial sweeteners

lottie63 Mon 07-Jan-13 10:44:50

How can I test for ketones?

Ruprekt Mon 07-Jan-13 10:47:20

Boots do the sticks apparantly.

I used to love peeing on a stick to check for pre-eclampsia!!

Hi, I need to join you!

any ideas on main meals please?

am a carb-oholic and need help!

Ruprekt Mon 07-Jan-13 10:51:59

There is a whole thread on menus for low carbing.

Am sure someone can find the link somewhere!

Ah thankyou I'll look.

I really need to kick my ass into gear.

My youngest is 19 months now and I started out at 13st 7lbs a few months after he was born and got to 12 stone ... think im a few lbs heavier now after xmas sad but ive been trying minimally for all that time to loose and am just not comitting and getting so down sad

I'm just sick of it now,

I want to be 10 stone.

EwanHoozami Mon 07-Jan-13 10:55:58

skandi1 I use coconut milk quite a lot, it's about 3g/100ml

(coconut cream is more carby, IIRC)

Coconut seems to be one of the secret weapons of LC'ing, I've yet to try cooking with coconut flour or oil but it's on my to-do list.

Lavendersbluedillydilly1969 Mon 07-Jan-13 10:56:01

Hi please add me to the spreadsheet as phone is misbehaving today.

Weighed in this morning at 10st 1lb so not good but not as awful as I expected. Just been to stay with friends and despite explaining lc to them before we went, every meal was lovingly cooked and choc full of pasta etc and cake/biscuits etc forced upon us at every opportunity. Just went with it as didn't want to upset them but paying the price now.

No food in house except Brie so that was breakfast. Just trying to down my first litre of water. No idea what tea will be but lunch will prob have to be more brie.

EwanHoozami Mon 07-Jan-13 10:58:08

no idea why you turned into a link blush

EwanHoozami Mon 07-Jan-13 11:02:10

Noel do you feel like you've lost? A bit less bloated? I remember seeing results on the tum before I saw them on the scales. It'll come! Not everyone loses at the same rate. It works, I promise.

slatternlymother Mon 07-Jan-13 11:03:13

<bursts onto thread>

Hi everyone! Had some plain yoghurt with a small handful of blueberries; was reading wrong thread and thought that was ok, but it won't kill me as am doing Insanity workout circuit with friend at lunchtime.

Have chicken salad for lunch (no dressing because I don't really like it that much. Is that ok?)

Chicken with pesto and green beans for tea. That's a good enough menu, right?

Shocked at how much plain yoghurt filled me up. I was conviced I was doing it all wrong, actually googled brand to check sugar contents etc again because I was so convinced. Hmm.

slatternlymother Mon 07-Jan-13 11:04:54

Haven't been organised and thought about dinner so omlette and salad

If you have an omlette, can you fill it with cheese? Would that be alright? <unsure, needy> grin

GrandmaHasTheMoozles Mon 07-Jan-13 11:07:30

Hi - can I join in too?

I have never lost any weight ever and have not managed to maintain any diet longer than 2 days.

My weight has been steadily creeping up and I am now a hefty 122 lb.

So probably the largest person on this bootcamp.

I am just so unfit now - walking is becoming an effort and as I approach 50 the possibility of being disabled prematurely because of my weight is looming on the horizon.

So I have to do something.

Help!

slatternlymother Mon 07-Jan-13 11:10:08

Also, I have some fish in my freezer (smoked haddock and cod), what can I do with that? I had initially bought them with plans of a fish gratin over Christmas, but it never got used and is still in my freezer waiting to be used. thanks

mumat39 Mon 07-Jan-13 11:11:59

Morning everyone.

I watched that video and shock

How awful that we've been given advice that had no sound basis in anything scientific at all!!!

I remember reading about the fact that big pharma and the food industry are the ones who fund training for alot of dieticians so it makes me wonder whether they've actually also been spun a line and it's scary that people who work in the medical profession where most things are science and anatomy based haven't actually questioned the advice themselves. I feel really vey angry about it. I guess this thread is about taking control back.

Sorry for the rant!

BIWI, should I weigh myself again this morning? This is day 3 for me so entered the date and weight on the spreadsheet from the 5th. I'm assuming the next weigh in is the 14th after today, so am I cheating by have a few days extra on this woe?

Thanks again, and GOOD LUCK everyone. May the loss be with us!

xxx

EwanHoozami Mon 07-Jan-13 11:12:51

I find it really inspiring when people post their food plans for the day (or what you've eaten if you won't know until later). I love reading about what people are eating <nosey>

As well as sharing ideas for meals, it can flag up if anything might not be bootcamp-friendly.

B: Lidl full-fat yog
L: Egg mayo salad
D: Sardine fishcakes (made with cauli not spuds!) s/w green beans

skandi1 Mon 07-Jan-13 11:16:53

Ewan. Thank you. Very happy news on the coconut milk. Prawn curry on the menu for tomorrow night. I am going to try the cauliflower rice with it. smile

Willowisp Mon 07-Jan-13 11:17:54

WillieWaggledagger thank you !

I enjoy the camaraderie of spreadsheet & am hoping it helps DM keep on track..I'm waiting for her update & will be cross if I don't receive it today !

whats the best mayo to buy as the OP says some are carb-high?

And full fat youghurt - is that just plain fullfat yougurt? not the flavoured ones?

off to the shop soon to stock up smile

Bessie123 Mon 07-Jan-13 11:21:06

grandmahasthemoozles are you joking? You weigh 122 lb and you think you are overweight? Are you only 3 ft tall? I can guarantee you are not the heaviest person on the thread.

slatternlymother Mon 07-Jan-13 11:22:29

ewan how are you making the fishcakes with cauliflower?

BigStickBIWI Mon 07-Jan-13 11:23:03

mumat39 - it's entirely up to you when you weigh/when you enter your weight on the spreadsheet! It's not a competition with other people, it's just a way for you to record what you have achieved.

slatternlymother - blueberries are definitely better than a banana grin Just not allowed for these first two weeks. But you're right, it shouldn't have done too much damage. Your menu looks fine, but please tell me that you are having plenty of fat with it? If you don't like salad dressing (how can you not love oil and vinegar?!) then use plenty of full fat mayonnaise. And with your evening meal, make sure you are adding butter to your beans.

And re fish - I love smoked haddock, poached, served on a bed of spinach (with lots of butter in it) and a poached egg. Perfect low carb food.

ToomuchWaternotWine Mon 07-Jan-13 11:23:03

Morning all!! Do you like my January name change, in the spirit of LCing and I support of dosh and gless and everyone else in their dry January!

So, 155.4 lbs on the scales this morning, so up 3lbs over Xmas/ny and up 6 from my very very lowest weighin mark on 15 December, but not actually worried toomuch (see wot I did there) as I know it's mostly water - and it's still over a stone less than when I started LC in October!

Back on it like a car bonnet!! Lets go low!! thanks to biwi and willie

Can I have any fizzy drinks? I'm a bit addicted to pepsi max blush

slatternlymother Mon 07-Jan-13 11:24:19

tom I thought full fat mayo was fine confused

Also, I bought the Alpro Soya plain yoghurt; no low fat written on it or anything. It was the only plain yoghurt I could find.

GrownupGoth Mon 07-Jan-13 11:24:29

Hi! Just to repeat from the other thread! ( Ta Biwi)

Gosh the thread moves quickly!

Ok weigh in this morning - 12 stone 6.... 11 pounds on since the beginning of December <shock> Carbs hate me. I am disgusted with myself letting it go that far.

I want to finish up around ten and a half stone, I'm 5 foot 8, so two stone.

Can someone add my weight to the speeadsheet please?

This thread is not accepting new messages.