Week 1 - New Year Low Carb Bootcamp - And We're Off!

(1000 Posts)
BigStickBIWI Mon 07-Jan-13 07:40:33

Morning, soon-to-be-losers!

Come and confess all on the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness

Here is a reminder of the rules of Bootcamp:

1.Eat three, proper meals a day
You must eat breakfast. It doesn’t have to be a lot, but you must have something. For the rest of the day, if you’re eating enough food and you are in ketosis then you shouldn’t be hungry. But if you are hungry, eat something. (Hard boiled eggs make a great snack)

2.Avoid processed food, and focus on pure, natural protein as the basis for your meals – meat/fish/eggs.
Things like sausages, ham, bacon, pre-prepared burgers etc should be avoided as much as possible. Avoid foods marketed as low carb, e.g. Atkins Daybreak bars.

3.Maximise your fat intake.
Fry in butter, add butter to vegetables, eat salad with a home-made vinaigrette dressing (not made with balsamic vinegar though), add mayonnaise where you can (just check the carb count on your mayo first). Eat fattier cuts of meat – e.g. pork belly, roast chicken with the skin on and/or eat the fat off your lamb chops. Absolutely no low fat/light foods of any kind!

4.Make sure you are eating vegetables and salads with your food – this is where your carbs should come from.
But choose only those vegetables that are on the allowed list (see below). You don’t have to weigh/count carbs – this is one of the great joys of this WOE (way of eating), but if you’re new to low carbing it can be helpful to weigh your portions of veg in the early days, just so that you know how many carbs are in the sort of portions that you like to eat

5.Minimal dairy (apart from butter, which is unlimited).
If you are still drinking tea/coffee with milk or cream, try to restrict yourself to max 2 cups per day. You may eat cheese, but only in small amounts.

6.You must drink a minimum of 2 litres of water per day.
The more weight you have to lose, the more water you should drink

7.No alcohol

8.No fruit

9.No nuts/seeds

10.No sugar or artificial sweeteners

barleywood Mon 07-Jan-13 08:20:19

Didn't you just love the packed lunch at the nutrition conference?

signing in... weight gain is awful, but i am still the same clothes size so a good proportion must be glycogen stores etc. i am quite bloated though and previously concave tummy is looking rather convex!

crappy week ahead though, too much work to catch up on and a funeral to top it off

Willowisp Mon 07-Jan-13 08:26:34

I've just gone to put my weight in & I've come off the spreadsheet...can you add me back please ? I am 111.5lbs

My DM is willowispmama & I'll add her weight when I know it later.m

Thanks !

Willowisp Mon 07-Jan-13 08:28:08

The video link looks good, will watch after school run.

I'm doing a fast day as cranking down by 3 lbs - obviously still following low carb principles smile

BigStickBIWI Mon 07-Jan-13 08:28:31

It's really weird being on the spreadsheet when other people are as well!

BigStickBIWI Mon 07-Jan-13 08:29:21

Also, a really interesting blog post about the possible impact of artificial sweeteners here

that is odd willowisp as i know for definite you were in there as you were next to your mum and i added your loss from october

have reinstated you

anewdispensation Mon 07-Jan-13 08:33:40

Hello lovely ladies!!! So excited!!

a quick plea

please please please don't touch any blue squares on the spreadsheet as these contain formulae that mean that the calculations won't work if they are altered or deleted. this is particularly in relation to the conversion tab

thanks!

MissNJE Mon 07-Jan-13 08:35:46

Skandi: may i ask how tall you are? I am 5'6 and would never be a BMI 21 with 150lbs.

BlackAffronted Mon 07-Jan-13 08:36:40

I think that video is awesome, and no matter where you are in your low carb WOL, you shoudl watch it!

This is actually day 3 for me, but as I am a massive fatty, I could do with teh head start grin

Meeting a friend for breakfast, luckily the place we go to will happily make me a plate of eggs & bacon smile

cathyandclaire Mon 07-Jan-13 08:48:12

Barleywood, I was interested by the complex carb/sugar question too! But my plan is to stick to Bootcamp with all carbs from veggies then on maintenance slowly introduce some complex carbs.

Previously I managed oats and fruit and carby veg but anything more than that had me tearing through the cupboards looking for a carb fix like a crack addict!!!

skandi1 Mon 07-Jan-13 08:53:26

MissNJ. I am 5'11".

Xenia Mon 07-Jan-13 08:56:32

i've always liked that video. Anyone into history as well as science might like this recent programme about the history of how sugar got its grip on the UK - www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG1CM7zXK5w It doesn't tell you how to eat but it is very interesting and background interest.

ILoveTIFFANY Mon 07-Jan-13 08:57:09

Can I weigh in in the morning? Will be more accurate than if I jump on scales now.... I like to do it properly.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 07-Jan-13 09:00:21

Is this the thread I need?

So bloody many grin

BIWI - MNHQ must think Boot Campers are going for World Domination

Morning all and big thanks to BIWI.

These threads race on bit worried I won't be able to keep up but I am determined to make this work. Loving all the support and incentive stories.

Can i squeeze lemon or lime juice from a bottle into water during bootcamp? Sorry getting to grips with iPad thingummy and can't see how to underline :-/

TheSandstoneCat Mon 07-Jan-13 09:12:29

Good morning - have just put my starting weight into the spreadsheet smile. Hope never to see that figure again.......

Fadqueen Mon 07-Jan-13 09:12:57

Morning all - I braved the scales. I really had to take a deep breath and psych myself up to get on them and face reality. For months I've just been going on how I feel and how my clothes fit.
I had done ok pre-Christmas but it all went very choc orange shaped over the last 3 weeks and I've basically eaten my way through the season as if I was in a competition to be the fattest ever!

Dear god what was I thinking?

Anyway, the scales say 165.4 which I have dutifully entered. Willie I noticed that the numbers have gone across into the blue section automatically. I did it from my iPad - have I messed it up and can I rectify it? So sorry, I really appreciate all the work gone into this.

Thanks so much BIWI this is such a generous thing to do.

I've done low carb before, I know it works and I'm damned well going to give it my all this time!

PromQueenWithin Mon 07-Jan-13 09:18:11

Here I am and resolved to follow the rules to the letter. Just worked out that I need to lose a round 20 lbs to reach target of 130. Off to make an omelette for breakfast, coffee with cream (and no Starbucks hazelnut syrup)

froufroulala Mon 07-Jan-13 09:22:41

I too have lost 6.75 since last Wednesday. Good luck everyone smile

BillComptonstrousers Mon 07-Jan-13 09:26:43

No bloody eggs for breakfast here sad so will have ham,feta,olives and cucumber sticks. I actually started last Wednesday, so in 5 days I've lost 3lbs and 2 inches of my waist already grin

Well, I finally weighed myself - first time since starting low carb in August - I'm 166 lbs (11 stone 12) which I'm delighted with (having started at 15 stone something). Hoping for 140 by June, which is totally possible! Been off alcohol for 7 days now, and I'm finding that easy too (the first couple of days took a bit of willpower).

Woke up this morning with a streaming cold, so I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself, but about to go have duck eggs and dry cure bacon for breakfast, which should cheer me up!

Jacaqueen Mon 07-Jan-13 09:31:35

Well I have weighed in and it wasn't pretty but I know that the Christmas gain will be off very soon.

thanks fadqueen, you're fine - they're doing their automatic calculations so that's ok (the totals won't be correct for future weeks yet, they sort themselves out when we weigh in for that week)

Thanks!

This thread is not accepting new messages.