I want to start low carbing. It I'm shit scared

(16 Posts)
Waferthinmint Fri 04-Jan-13 22:02:30

I want to start the Harcombe diet. I like the look of it but I cannot make myself start

I worry I will miss carbs.
What to eat for breakfasts
Are too many eggs bad?
Will I think about food constantly ? (I already do)

I am working myself into a state about starting on a sty.e of eating that will suit me but will be a new way if living.

Is it normal to get this panicked?

MrsHoolie Fri 04-Jan-13 22:39:34

Try and do a menu plan for the week so you know what you're eating and you have all the ingredients you need.

I really like the Pig to Twig book and the John Briffa book,have heard of Harcome but haven't read it.

I have always been amazed when low carbing that I hardly ever feel hungry,I think because we're always told that carbs fill you up.

Drink shit loads of water.

Make sure you eat a bit of fat at every meal.

And measure yourself at the beginning as your body shape will probably change more than the scales show.

For breakfast on the Briffa pan I would have full fat yogurt with raspberries and blueberries although on pig to twig it is much less dairy at the beginning so lots of scrambled egg.

After a couple of days you will feel far less sluggish and bloated.

ohforfoxsake Fri 04-Jan-13 22:45:01

I really like the Harcombe diet - its a great de-tox but you do feel like absolute shit days 3 & 4, but you feel FABULOUS on day 5.

The book is not very well written - if you google 'allaboutyou Harcombe diet' it should come up with a link to a magazine article in She a few years ago which simplifies it.

Another vote for the India Knight book too. Creamy leeks and steak.. Drool...

Good luck with it smile

Waferthinmint Sat 05-Jan-13 08:36:51

What will I eat for quick meals aka pasta pesto?

Thx for replies. I like that after phase 1 detox you can reintroduce some better carbs just not with fats

Waferthinmint Sat 05-Jan-13 08:43:06

I have the India knights books which I found for 50p in charity shop. Not looked at them. Are some if the recipes interchangeable ?

BlackAffronted Sat 05-Jan-13 10:23:47

I liked the Idiot Proof book, though I am just following BIWI's rules in the Bootcamp thread smile

OhIWishThereWasABook Sat 05-Jan-13 10:34:05

Low carbing too- not scary as not hungry. No calorie counting or measuring. Give it a go for a week, see how you feel. It's only food :-)

ohforfoxsake Sat 05-Jan-13 14:19:54

Make sure you eat plenty of veggies - I got really, really tired and I think it was because I wasnt getting enough carbs. Those carbs you so eat should be through the right veggies obv.

Buy a bag of salmon fillets, a bag of chicken fillets and a bag of grilled mix veg. Grab protein and veg from freezer, open a bag of salad. So easy. Snack on ham, natural yogurt, go easy on cheese. smile

MrsHoolie Sat 05-Jan-13 23:08:42

You need fat I a low carb diet,it helps keep you full. Don't eat anything marketed as low fat diet food.

The low carb mantra seems to be 'fat doesn't make people fat,sugar does'.

Jahan Sun 06-Jan-13 06:51:19

I've done the harcombe diet a couple of times and always lost good weight on stage 1 but not stage 2.
As you can have 1 carb meal a day, I didn't crave any more carbs than that. To make it easy for myself, I would have my carbs for breakfast - 75g of porridge with cinnamon and water - and then no carbs for the rest of the day.
Have you got a menu plan for the first stage?

LaVidaLoCarb Sun 06-Jan-13 08:54:01

Jahan come and join us on the low carb boot camp, you'll get all the support and advice you need over there, plus recipes and meal planning ideas.

LaVidaLoCarb Sun 06-Jan-13 08:55:19

Oh I see the op was waferthinmint sorry

Waferthinmint Sun 06-Jan-13 09:01:22

Yes I have planned my menu for week 1. Breakfasts are depressing me. Am hoping I will lose weight on phase 2 otherwise it is kind of pointless!

knackeredoutmum Tue 08-Jan-13 09:03:03

The only tough thing about breakfast is getting out of the habit of wanting toast or cereals. I used to have both for breakfast every day and I love toast, now I have 2 sausage 2 eggs and some beans, which keeps me going til lunchtime without snacking all morinng

knackeredoutmum Tue 08-Jan-13 09:05:06

and tons of eggs are not considered to be harmful any more - in fact Cherry Healy did a mini study on TV, I think she had to eat a dozen eggs or something everyday for 2 weeks. Bearing in mind that your cholesterol levels will change immediately after even eating a fried breakfast, at the end of 2 weeks hers had changed less than you would get from a single meal.

ppeatfruit Tue 08-Jan-13 11:11:19

The problem with a diet that is supposed to suit everyone is that we are ALL different (think about allergies some people can stuff down strawberries and others are ill with them).

I remember trying the Atkins and being ill so I stopped and felt better immediately. The best diet, well it's not a diet it's a Way Of Eating, is PauL Mckenna I've got to my target size 10 on it and am still maintaining. Come to our thread it's brill and you can eat you WANT !!!! honest !!!!! I follow my blood type so am healthy AND slim and look 15 years younger YAAAY grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now