Anyone else doing slimming world?

(1000 Posts)
me23 Fri 04-Jan-13 07:43:15

Hi all, I joined slimmig world yesterday as I finally ready and motivated to get this weight off. Anyone else? Is there a support thread for those following slimming world? As I couldn't see one on here. If not anyone interested in helping to support each other here?

beanandspud Mon 28-Jan-13 10:11:53

Good Morning!

Not sure if this helps but the only way I am keeping going is by planning a week of meals at a time so that I know that breakfast, lunch and dinner are almost syn-free (or using healthy extras) and then I have the rest of my syns as snacks. Before Christmas we would work day-to-day for meals and inevitably by Thursday I would get to the 'can't be bothered' point and order a takeaway, it was a downward slope then to the weekend!

If you need something sweet the Bakewell Tart Alpen bars are lovely - 3 syns each or you can have two a day as a heB.

BadRoly - I would probably order something like chicken chow mein or stir-fry chicken and vegetables for DS if we were having Chinese. If you are doing Chinese at home PM me your email and I will try to send you some SW Chinese recipes.

As for syns, I usually google 'how many syns in....' and mostly it points to a minimins forum that gives me the answers! suspect it is also a cunning ploy to get you to buy the directory grin

Blondes I made Kofta curry yesterday with mince 'meatballs' for DH and DS (I don't eat meat). It went down well if you would like that one?

Justtheonemore Mon 28-Jan-13 13:26:22

I downloaded the SW app onto my iPhone, great for instantly looking up syn values smile

Feeling rather 'picky' today! Can't seem to stop myself taking one/having a nibble of whatever my DC is eating. I blame Mondays (and me, a little bit wink)

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 28-Jan-13 15:25:54

androb how was wi?

badroly count syns weekly, so 105 (15 a day) so you have left after your major cock up little booboo 87 left for the week, which is over 10 a day for 6 days - you can do this

bean yes please for kofat curry, though may make it with chicken, would that make a difference?

and yes i try to eat healthy for meals and then use syns for crisps gin salad cream etc

justone agree syns on the go is good smile

b magic pancakes (b) banana/kiwi/grapes - pic on fb those who know me
l chilli proawn linguini- toms, onions, courgette
t salmon and veg and rice

and the above is without any syns -very proud of myself

but

i did have fish and chips from chippy on saturday - was oh fault -but only ate 1/3rd of chips and top half of batter on fish so halved syns

BadRoly Mon 28-Jan-13 19:26:10

Blondes I think I ok overall - like beans I try to keep my meals syn free so that I can keep the syns for treats. I probably should stop watching Comic Relief GBBO though...

beans I have replied to your pm and will pm you again now I'm not on the phone smile

BadRoly Mon 28-Jan-13 19:27:17

Justthe great until you are in a supermarket dithering over low fat/no fat/fat free yogurts and can't get a signal sad

laughalot Mon 28-Jan-13 20:30:35

Stayed the same this week suppose im not to unhappy as I went out saturday night and had a curry with onion bhajis for starters a bottle of wine and a few lagers blush. Keep trying everyone xxx

androbbob Mon 28-Jan-13 20:55:58

Well WI - lost 1lb! Very pleased as really had to rein it in towards the end of the week. I only have another 24 to go to get to my May goal!

If I lose 3lbs this week then I will get my stone award, so I am aiming for that. Also have diabetic check up next Mon, which includes as WI, so need to focus for that! SW WI will be straight after that!!

I do think the idea of having syn free meals is a good aim and to use the syns to add bits to it.

smellylittleorange - how was your WI today?

Badroly - blondes advicce is spot on I reckon - will consider weekly syns myself I think!

blondes - the pancakes looked great - will try them later in week when I have time. Do you think I could do them the nighr before and just microwave in the morning, or are they dead quick to cook?

laughalot - STS ok given you have been out enjoying yourself! Back to the plan now please!!

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 28-Jan-13 21:52:58

laughalot sts is good ESP if had a curry and beer

androb easy to make - literally mix all ingredients and then fry - takes maybe 3 mins so quick and yummy smile

Microwave may make them go soggy

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 28-Jan-13 21:53:49

Congrats about 1 lb loss smile

Evening all - mind if I join in please? smile

I'm back on the metaphorical weightloss treadmill. Back in 2005 to 2007 I lost just over 11st on WW, with a lot of exercise (was running half marathons and stuff) - since stopping running I gained around 5 stone or so and then when pregnant with DS I gained another 5 or so. Lost a stone and a half after DS was born last year so I've started out around 8 stone up on where I was a few years back.

Since DS was born I don't have much time for the exercise (which is a shame as I love it to be honest) so am hoping SW can help me get the weight off without the exercise. Not worried about the amount I have to lose as I know it'll come off eventually if I stick to things, but I can be impatient so will be interesting to see how I get on - enjoying the plan so far and even enjoying cooking, which is unheard of grin.

I joined SW on 3 Jan and am doing Extra Easy (I will learn to like fruit). Lost 3.5 the first week, 2 the second week and 4 last week. I've set my initial target to give me a nice round 100lb to lose as a start, so just 90.5lb to go!

Total loss to date: 9.5lb
Remaining to target: 90.5lb
Aim for this week: 1lb

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 28-Jan-13 22:24:06

Welcome cheese

I also lost weight - 4st on ww about 10yrs ago but can't get to grips with the new system or couldn't a few years ago and was always hungry so decided to try sw

Why are you doing sw now instead of ww - as obv gets results

Wow at your weight loss - and you did it once before and you will again

Ww You can eat prepacked /jars etc etc

Sw is freshly prepared meals

WishYouWereMine Mon 28-Jan-13 22:54:46

Hi everyone, mind if I join you?

I started SW nearly 2 weeks ago. I lost 2lbs the first week (although had McDs and an Indian at Birthday parties), and am hoping for a bit more this week (WI on Wednesday).

Like Cheddar, I'm aiming for 100lbs as a nice round figure, and then will reassess... 98lbs to go!

I've never done anything like this before but I'm enjoying cooking everything from scratch. I've found it much easier this week because I managed to plan meals.

Only thing I'm struggling with is the use of natural yoghurt in recipes.. Currys etc. We're not that keen on the tangy-ness. Is there anything else I could use? Loving it at the moment but fear we may soon get fed up of endless Spagbol and Cottage pie!

Also swam today - 40 lengths.

Good luck to everyone WI!

Middy86 Mon 28-Jan-13 22:57:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Morning!

Blondes - actually, I'm doing SW because a friend of mine mentioned at New Year that she was going to do it. I used to do WW online but felt like I needed a group, at least for the first few weeks, to get me back on track so thought I'd give it a go for a change and said I'd go along. Ironically, she only made the first week and is now back working full time so can't get to the meeting we started going to! Also, I think SW is more flexible than WW and psycologically I like that there are foods I can eat 'as much as I like' of without having to count it - stops me feeling restricted. Think I eat more healthily on SW too, which is important as I want to provide a semi respectable role model for DS when it comes to food!

Wish - you could try fat free fromage frais instead of the yogurt.

Sorry I'm not popping in very often, I'm struggling to catch up when I do! WI for me today, but not til this evening, so cross your fingers for me! Will have a read through and catch up now

Tindertree Tue 29-Jan-13 10:16:43

1.5 off this morning, so 5lb in 3 weeks. Really chuffed; starting to see a difference and clothes looser. I think I can keep this up.

laughalot I sts last week - frustrating, but I kept thinking the truth will out next time!

androbob well done

Welcome all the new people smile ( wish, some fat free yogurts are much less tangy than others - I prefer the creamier ones.)

slim, I don't think anyone minds if everyone isn't up to date all the time? It would be such a shame if anyone felt they couldn't come back because the thread had moved on a bit. It's the popping in at all that counts!

littlemefi Tue 29-Jan-13 12:53:04

Well weighed in this morning for my first week back, have stayed the same.
Feeling a bit demoralised but will keep plodding on! Have just made a lovely syn free broccoli soup, will pull out some SW magazines and try to get a bit more inspiration and some recipe ideas.

I did eat out last night for tea with dd(age 3) who thinks its the height of sophistication to have tea at Morrison's cafe!
Not the easiest healthy eating menu, I ended up with battered fish and the waitress kindly swapped the chips and peas for a big syn free salad. I did eat the fish,batter and all, and it was bloody lovely, there's no way I was picking the batter off! I think it was about 15 syns but I had no other syns yesterday.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 29-Jan-13 13:15:19

tinder well done on loss

slim no one has to update daily, i often flip through threadat night, as i work nights - main thing is that we are all here for each other to support and kick gently up the arse if we fall off track

androbobs - congrats on your loss better than you'd hoped ! Unfortunately not for me 1/2lb on - i know why - and I will take lessons from it - i didnt want to be a killjoy with DH but I must must learn to put myself first - i probably need to share withhim more about what the diet actually is but I am embarassed to talk about it with him for some reason confused blush

SeriouslyStrongCheddar WishYouWereMine welcome to the SW gang! Similair amounts to lose - Instant diet buddies?

waves at Imnotaslimjim hi sometimes all I can do is pop in a couple of times a week two - go so fed up with typing minutes have locked the door to the office and having a good old read!

Tindertree well done - have you taken your measurements? - it is something three weeks in I have yet to do.

littlemefi perhaps it was salt on the fish? I know I suffer if Ive been good all week with lots of veg etc its like my body grabs it and retains it good luck for next week just keep on plodding on!

Speaking of fluid had to take my rinigs off in bed last night which means PMT and Star week coming up grrrrr - have a weekend away visiting my sis but we planned last night what SW we were going to eat as she is doing it too. Soup and HEX B sandwich on the train on the way up as its about 4 hours!

Have a great week everyone!

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 29-Jan-13 15:14:56

smelly sad at gain-def talk to dh and explain you need healthy meals, or meals you can 'tweak'

b blueberry pancake
l salmon and veg risotto
t spag bol and veg

prob have a mugshot tonight as working, so 11pm will call blondes tummy grin

havnt had any syns today shock and none planned - maybe i can have some crisps etc

still feel bad about my fish and chips sad

Tindertree Tue 29-Jan-13 16:25:53

Thanks smile

orange - don't be disheartened, at least you know why it is. This way of eating can be a bit baffling to some, (and, in places, it can seem a bit illogical).

It may be worth explaining it in terms as simple as these: you are limiting these things, so you can have as much as you like of these other things, which in turn stops you eating too much of a whole lot of worse things because you're hungry. And yes I really can eat all this food and still lose weight grin Or something like that?

DP was a bit slow to grasp it, because when he gains weight he just thinks "eat less, cycle more" and the job's done...

blondes don't feel bad, the whole point of this is long term sustainability, and I for one don't mind having half the batter on fish and a third of the chips indefinitely. Good idea!

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 29-Jan-13 16:28:29

tinder i know - but dont even like chips/battered fish much so to me a waste of syns - could of had tons of gin and cheese for that grin

Tindertree Tue 29-Jan-13 16:42:42

Well when you put it like that... grin

ninjanurse Wed 30-Jan-13 07:41:59

Morning all, am back for my weigh in. Another 1.5 lbs off today, thats a total of 9LB in 4 weeks, so am pleased with that. Still keeping my carbs relatively low, have been making recipes from my new Jamie Oliver 15 minutes book and tweaking them to make SW friendly. Felt like I have eaten really well this week. Got 4 gym classes booked for the next week, so looking forward to another bumper week next week!

Keeping going everyone, we are all doing so well.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 30-Jan-13 08:13:17

Well done ninja

tinder excalty grin

B banana and phil CHOC pancake 2.5syns
L not sure yet .....
T shepherds pie and veg

This thread is not accepting new messages.