New Year Low Carb Bootcamp interim thread!

(849 Posts)

To continue chatting and preparing for the official start on 7th.

Rules and veg info can be found on the tabs on the old spreadsheet here.

hurricanewyn Sat 05-Jan-13 11:27:32

Completely off topic, but what's heuch toomuch?

NoelHeadbands Sat 05-Jan-13 11:39:42

Morning all (nc'er) I succumbed this morning and went to Boots for some ketostix, which showed as a 'trace' WOOHOO

cathyandclaire Sat 05-Jan-13 11:39:59

On the reward/cheating subject...
Obviously we are all going to keep exactly to Bootcamp and being slim and healthy IS its own reward... but <whispers> just FYI I found that falling of the wagon into some dark chocolate (mini bars of 85% from ALDI- 5g carb each) or a gin and slimline with some nuts does much less damage than biscuits/toast/cake/maltesers

<cowers from big stick>

EwanHoozami Sat 05-Jan-13 11:41:22

Lucy tomatoes can vary - I used BIWI's tip of using the Sainsbo basic chopped toms in tetrapaks and they seem the lowest in carbs. Not got a pack to hand but about 3g I think. the fruit is less ripe so less sugar.

so fine to use, but probably not every day. There are a couple of great recipes in the IPD cookbook that use chopped toms, the Spanish Chicken one which I think the lovely Ms. Gless has added to the MN section.

I have a lurking jar of passata that runs up 7g, for example, so just keep an eye on labels.

EwanHoozami Sat 05-Jan-13 11:53:18

oh I do love a meal plan. Here's mine...

1 - roast cauliflower, feta, watercress and toasted almond salad (last night of nuts before Bootcamp grin )
2 - marinated chicken thigh and roast veg (aubergine, broccoli and courgette)
3 - celeriac bravas (ipd) with chorizo s/w green beans
4 - sardine fish cakes (cauli, sardine, spinach caper, egg) s/w salad
5 - piri piri chicken liver s/w cauli rice and raita
6 - crustless spinach & bacon quiche s/w whatever veg is left in the fridge
7 - Grilled lemon mackerel with sesame aubergine

I was on a fairly tight budget this week but it doesn't look too bad written down!

Hi ewyn heuch is that kind of whooping shout us Scots make when madly ceilidh dancing after too much haggis n whisky! grin HeeeeeeYeuuuuuch!!

cocolepew Sat 05-Jan-13 11:58:35

Thanks so much for that link.

I don't have much dairy in my diet usually, I had a feeling cream was giving me a headache so I was experimenting!

hurricanewyn Sat 05-Jan-13 11:59:17

grin

Hey all... I woke up this morning to a 7YO with chicken poxx.... Eeek! Hope my 18mnth old doesnt catch it! They bath together and everything!

Breaky was 3 eggs scrambled.
Lunch and dinner undecided as of yet... Probably shall involve chicken!

cocolepew Sat 05-Jan-13 12:07:58

Oh no princess I hope it's not too bad.

Unfortunately after a greasy meal I like to have something sweet, just had bacon and eggs and I'm resisting the urge, it's just habit to be honest.

NoveltySlippers Sat 05-Jan-13 12:12:33

Toomuch I'm gonna print off what you wrote about rewards and read it every day!

captainmummy Sat 05-Jan-13 12:17:59

Mealplan -(probably)

1. tonight - steak/peppercorn cream sauce with salad
2. creamcheese pancakes with ham/broccoli/cream filling and veg
3. curry of some sort w cauli rice
4 Birthday tuesday - so out for a Thai meal
5 chicken/cheese wrapped in ham with cauli mash
6 cauliflower cheese with ham chunks
7 roast chicken with roast veg.

Will probably sneak in the creambraised cabbage as it's my favourite at the mo.

frenchfries22 Sat 05-Jan-13 12:20:53

oh good its not as bad as what mfp is telling me then! im not an expert at it and think i will take your advice toomuch and just stick to here!

BIWIshYouAMerryChristmas Sat 05-Jan-13 12:24:03

fenchfries - unless you have used potatoes/carrots/parsnips in your veg soup I can't see how that would come anywhere near 97g carbs!

Either it's a MFP problem (which wouldn't surprise me - have seen it before!), or perhaps you've entered a weight incorrectly?

Princess - sorry to hear about the CP. Only consolation is that if your 18mo does get it, I think it tends to bother them less when they were little. Both my DC had it at around that age, and it didn't seem to trouble them too much.

Lucy - I absolutely agree with Toomuch re rewards. But if it has to be a food-based reward, the other thing you could always do, would be to treat yourself to a beautiful steak, with a creamy mushroom sauce, green salad with garlicky vinaigrette and some other lovely veg of your choice.

Some lovely meals being talked about here. Diet, what diet?! [grin}

captainmummy Sat 05-Jan-13 12:27:06

Rewards for me would be prawns. Cooked in butter with abit of garlic and chilli. Toss into leaves of watercress of baby gems.

BlackAffronted Sat 05-Jan-13 13:01:26

Thought Id share my 5 day meal plan too!

Breakfasts will be either shakes made with low carb protein powder, water, coconut oil & a bit of cream (I struggle to eat in the mornings) or dinner leftovers

Lunch -

Garlic prawns & baby leaf salad

Salmon burgers & salad leaves

Cabbage & leek soup

Bacon, eggs & mushrooms

Tuna mayo lettuce wraps

Dinner -

Steak & creamy mushroom sauce

Chicken & veg curry & cauli rice

Paprika pork

Cod & cheese spinach melt

Gammon & cauliflower/broccoli cheese

brilliant post about rewards toomuch

i have been trying to separate food from emotion since starting low carbing, so only eating when i'm hungry (rather than sad, bored, anxious, happy etc), and not allowing my emotions to interfere with the food choices i make

it's very difficult, especially as others around you unconsciously sabotage you all the time!

BlackAffronted Sat 05-Jan-13 13:06:11

I am going to rweard myself with a book every 7lbs that I lose ... something just for me, to lose myself in and thoroughly enjoy in peace!

LucyVFood Sat 05-Jan-13 13:08:48

Toomuch and BIWI, by a reward I suppose I meant something comforting, that I would enjoy, that I wouldn't normally have in the week. Normally too much of it and normally with wine. I word hard, as do most people, and associate down time with indulgence, unfortunately. I appreciate that's not ideal.

The idea of having a lovely steak, prawns (sounds lovely btw captain!) etc would be a reward. Something I wouldn't do in the week. However, having a 'reward' that doesn't include food and booze if something I need to work on and is a good point.

FWIW I never ate ready meals and 'processed crap' sad I have always just eaten too much.

froufroulala Sat 05-Jan-13 13:16:21

Day 4 for me & I have lost 5.5lbs in three days. I am really stunned. Thought I had stuck to it rigidly but have been having four cherry toms a day boo, so must cut them out. Again realise its because I have a lot to lose but it so pleasing to see the weight reduce. My family are driving me nuts though everytime I prepare a meal in advance its not there when I need it! Had serious words with them this morning but as they said they are not used to seeing me eat good food ( & that speaks volumes doesn't it?). Have a wonderful day everyone.

that is brilliant froufrou, but how annoying of your family!

for two evening meals a week i eat on my own as dp is at training, and in the past i would have a sandwich, chocolate, crisps etc - not a proper meal, and in front of the tv

now i set myself a proper place at the table and cook myself a proper meal, it's really nice

LucyVFood Sat 05-Jan-13 13:24:00

Thanks Ewan - those are the ones I buy anyway, which is great. And thanks Cathy too.

I replaced Ryvita (I do love crispbread) with slices of swede to put Philadelpia on for lunch and MFP tells me there's a whopping 16g of carbs in 200g of swede. That's not what the spreadsheet says. I'm putting my trust in the speadsheet, is that okay?

halfthesize Sat 05-Jan-13 13:24:14

Princess My 3 yr old DS had them just before Christmas, he ended up with only 33 spots that I could see and was fine with them. My other 2 DC had them everywhere.
Hope your DC dont suffer to much, oh no that means no back to school for you then!!hmm

LucyVFood Sat 05-Jan-13 13:28:15

BlackAffronted, that's a great idea! I'll have to think of something like that. A massage, or something like that. I might make a list! At 7lbs I can have this, 14lb this etc smile

Kracken Sat 05-Jan-13 13:37:22

Hello! Decided to start LC on weds and have been fine until today with just some mild headaches, question: can coming off carbs cause nausea/vomiting? Or do I have a bug/food poisoning?

I ate some pork belly last night which should have been fine as I bought it yesterday and roasted it for two hours- it was defo cooked! After that I started feeling sick and felt nauseous all night and finally was sick a couple of times this morning (sorry, TMI!). Still feeling nauseous and struggling to eat LC foods as anything rich/creamy turns my stomach but am drinking water. I really want dry toast or something similar to try and settle my tummy but have resisted so far!

Thanks for your help ladies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now