Cambridge Diet 5 stone goal

(197 Posts)
Pompbear Wed 02-Jan-13 10:24:47

Anyone want to join me? I'm starting tomorrow. Have had great success on CD before but 2 babies and a hellish 2012 have led to a terrible weight gain.

I know some people disapprove, but it works for me. Previously I used it to lose weight and then maintained eating a healthy diet with plenty of protein, veg and occasional fruit and starchy veg, a bit of brown rice every now and then. Nuts, seeds, small amounts of dairy. It worked really well and I felt great for years. As soon as I started snacking on sugary crap because I was so stressed and upset, the weight piled on and I craved carby meals. I couldn't face my usual healthy , tasty meals which I previously really enjoyed. Totally vicious cycle. Anyway, the stress has gone and I'm determined to fix my weight and my health.

I want to keep this thread positive, motivational and free from talk of food and cheating!

Start weight 14.3 (yikes)

clpsmum Fri 25-Jan-13 11:23:11

Another 4lb off which I know is quite good but feel a little but disheartened

leelteloo Fri 25-Jan-13 12:40:28

Struggling so badlyhmm. Just so cold and miserable. My knickers felt baggy this morning which is good but I am lacking motivation and I'm so tempted just to give up. Think having the weekend off last weekend messed things up, I've spent the week struggling to get off the lbs I put back on.
I am doing ss plus and that's why weight is coming off more slowly. I couldn't cope with ss, wish I could have managed ss as I would be a lot slimmer by now. One more week of cd for me and then I'm going to try 5:2 for a while and get on my rowing machine!!!

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Fri 25-Jan-13 17:41:27

2lb a week is a good loss, but I understand why you're disheartened. I used to be able to shift that on WW or SW- when I was much younger though. I stuck at a certain weight for weeks on CDC but when I went up a level, I started to lose again. Why not try that rather than blowing the whole thing?

It's a tough enough diet when you see a good loss but it can be soul-destroying if you don't get the losses you'd like.

busyhouseof8 Fri 25-Jan-13 19:19:04

I'm the same this week (week 3). Looking at my scales I only seem to have lost half a pound since Tuesday! Very disheartening.

It is my busy time for work (I do tax) so I am chained to my desk. I'm hoping that a bit more activity this weekend and in the coming week will help get things moving again.

(Double) chins up everyone - we can do this!

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sat 26-Jan-13 08:47:19

5lb off in the first 2 days.
I know it's glycogen and water but it still means I'm 1/4 of the way to my 20lb goal.
Woo hoo!

leelteloo Sat 26-Jan-13 10:23:09

Thanks for the encouragement! I haven't quit smile. I am sticking with it for another week and then it's my birthday and January will be over. I am then going to do 5:2 or day on day off fasting to get the last 5lbs off and row row my boat!

leelteloo Sat 26-Jan-13 18:38:13

Feel great today, going ss, must have been just the hell of getting back into ketosis! smile. This week should be much easier. Hope everyone is doing on?

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sat 26-Jan-13 19:00:36

Yes that's probably why you felt horrible. Glad you feel better.

I've got a big party to go to next Friday and though I won't be drinking alcohol, I will be going out for a meal first. I hardly ever get to go out to a 'do' so I'm prepred to put up with the fall out of getting back into ketosis rather than be full of resentment on the party night and decide 'stuff it' and give up altogether.

starlight12 Sun 27-Jan-13 13:17:54

Hi everyone, im new to Cambridge, I am going on holiday mid march, how much weight do u think ill be able to lose until then , and how do I maximise the weight loss.

atallskinnylatte Sun 27-Jan-13 18:03:42

hello everyone, have been on for a while and had a blip and will start again properly tomorrow (split with bf so i have been turning to food :-(...
starlight12 - welcome. My councellor said to me about a stone per month. Maximise by drinking LOADS of water. It is not easy to start with.
can anyone explain how ketosis works?

Joolspudding Sun 27-Jan-13 19:42:43

Hi , I hope I'm not too late to join in. I'm starting CD tomorrow and also need to lose 5st !! I'm 14st and need to get to 9st 6lb. Well done to you all for your amazing weight losses so far !! :0)

leelteloo Sun 27-Jan-13 20:44:30

Hi new guys, I've been on ss & ss+ since jan 2nd with a long weekend completely off and I've lost a stone. I am sure it would have been more if I'd done ss only and not had the break.
Ketosis as I understand it is the mode the body goes into when the calorie intake is severely restricted. The body begins to use its fat store for energy instead of calories. Therefore you don't feel hunger.

Mudwiggle Sun 27-Jan-13 23:17:09

Marking my place until slim n save packs arrive. Did LL a long time ago, but two kids, emigrating, then coming back to UK, blah, blah, blah - anyway 4 stone to lose which is very daunting on any other diet, but with VLCD's should be less than six months! Woo-hoo.

If I end up doing really well (fingers crossed) I may go the whole hog and aim for 5 stone as well, always good to have a bit of wriggle room - which is ironic cos I have no wriggle room whatsoever in any of my clothes ATM....

I thought I would never do a VLCD again, but was speaking to my son's TA at a Xmas party and she showed me a photo of her a year ago. Wow! I've only known her since Sept but assumed she was always a naturally skinny groomed lady. I see her twice a day 5 days a week so am hoping to use her as my daily motivation, along with this thread obviously.

Well done to those of you dropping the pounds - this is a very inspiring thread.

clpsmum Mon 28-Jan-13 17:57:57

Heeeelp! I've cheated! I've had a really bad day today and eaten loads of junk really, don't know what came over me. Gonna be strict for the rest if the week but worried that ill have put on when it comes to weigh in on Friday. If I've put on weight I'm not sure ill have the motivation to stick with it. I'm so disappointed with myself

AyeOopMoose Mon 28-Jan-13 19:18:29

Help me too!

I ate last week and haven't been able to get my head back in the right place. I'm ok until about 3-4pm and then I cave in. I'm not even particularly hungry.

Advice? Hand holding? Kick up the (still massive) arse?

namechangecity Mon 28-Jan-13 19:52:55

not form me - fell off after day 3 and finding it v difficult to restart. if you have to cheat eat protein only - turkey steaks, eggs etc. Look at me preaching when I cannot do it myself!

leelteloo Mon 28-Jan-13 20:27:51

This diet is a real struggle and I think you should be proud of your progress. Tomorrow is always another day and you can restart. I doubt you can put weight on from one day falling off the wagon. I did a whole 4 days indulging and boozing and I only put on 2 lbs, which was probably water.
I am now back on ss and feeling ok. I am drinking lots of black decaf coffee with 3 sweeteners; I make one to have straight after my cd shake or soup and I've found that this fills me up and helps with any sweet craving.
Drinking heaps of fizzy water too.
Hope anyone struggling has a better day tomorrow. smile

busyhouseof8 Tue 29-Jan-13 12:38:16

Hello everybody. I know how hard this is, but I also know it is worth it.

I sorted out drinking enough water the last couple of days - I found if I use a 500ml sports lid bottle of water (refilled from tap of course) then somehow it's not so hard to drink a pint of water in one go. Only have to do that 4 times a day and I'm on track. Somehow it seems easier than 8-10 glasses full. Stupid mind games but whatever works!

2nd weigh in today with CDC and another 2.75lbs off, which didn't feel like alot. BUT - CDC had a demonstration pound of fat sitting on her desk and I held it next to my belly and imagined 2.75 of them having come off and suddenly it looked like quite a bit. What a boost!

I now have a good target to aim for - off to run a conference in Turkey at the end of Feb. I'm 13st 4.5lbs now and would love to be 12.5st by then. I look OK at 12.5st - not great but definitely OK. I haven't seen any of the attendees for a year, so would love someone - just someone - to say "have you lost weight, you look great". A girl can dream....

Hope we all have a better day today. smile

ThePippy Wed 30-Jan-13 15:03:50

Don't give up those who are struggling! The thing with these VLCD diets I have found is that the longer you do them the easier they get, but in the early days/weeks you really need to just take it 1 day at a time. Once you have a few days under your belt you can see the end of the first week, once a few weeks are done the results start to really kick in (on the scales, in your clothes, in the mirror, in the way you feel) and then motivation gets easier to find. So please just grit your teeth and get a few solid days in a row and I know you will start to feel better.

leelteloo Wed 30-Jan-13 16:26:01

That's so true Thepippy! My skirt nearly fell down in asda yesterday. I will need to get my size 10 stuff out of the loft and get three years of dust off them! Stick with it everyone, once your fully in ketosis, you don't feel hunger. It is dull though.
I am 7lbs off my target weight and I'm going on the 5:2 from tomorrow. So good luck to everyone and maybe I'll catch up with you on the 5:2 thread later on. Thank you for the motivation, has made a real difference to me knowing we have all been going through it together. smile

ThePippy Thu 31-Jan-13 09:47:00

Third weigh in last night and lost another 6lbs. I am totally thrilled especially as I got through last week having an awful cold and a baby waking me up all hours of the night with a cold too. I have lost 21lbs now which is 1.5 stone in just 3 weeks. I love this diet!!

Pompbear(CD): 14.3st (3rd Jan) Goal = 9.3st
Sarayu(S&S) 16.1st (2nd Jan) Goal = 11.1st
Pink90 (CD) ?? (4th Jan) Goal = ??
ThePippy (LL) 17.7st (9th Jan) Current =16st Goal = 9.7st
Leelteloo (CD) 11.5st (3rd Jan) Current = 10st 8lbs Goal = 9.7st
Mamatwinnies (CD) size 18 (7th Jan) Goal = size 12/14
Namechangecity (??) ?? (7th Jan) Goal = lose 4st
MayTheOddsBeEverInYourFavour (S&S) ?? (4th Jan) Goal = ??
Cakehappy (CD) 13.3st (9th Jan) Goal = 10.3st
PortiaPony (W8) 12.12st (7th Jan) Current= 12st 5lbs Goal = 10st 9lbs
busyhouseof8 (CD) 14.10st (7th Jan) Goal = 11.5st
PootlePosyPerkin (S&S) ?? (10th Jan) Goal = lose 8st
TisILeclerc (S&S) 15.10st (11th Jan) Goal = lose 5st
DontForgetTheLightAlesLawrence (CD) ?? (11th Jan) Goal = lose 5-6 stone.
AyeOopMoose (S&S) 18.11st (11th Jan) Goal = 11st
clpsmum (??) 13.8st (11th Jan) Goal = 9.4st
LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance (S&S) 12.01st (24th Jan) Goal= lose 20lb

busyhouseof8 Thu 31-Jan-13 11:05:24

Forgot to add my update to the list yesterday. Have a great day everyone.

busyhouseof8 (CD) 14.10st (7th Jan) Current = 13.3st Goal = 11.5st
AyeOopMoose (S&S) 18.11st (11th Jan) Goal = 11st

ThePippy Fri 01-Feb-13 10:29:51

All gone very quiet on this thread!! Hope everyone is hanging in there!

I am STARVING today. Not sure why, but I am thinking about food a lot. I have started watching cooking programmes so I can drool over the food. Sick I know, but I can't help myself.

busyhouseof8 Fri 01-Feb-13 11:04:33

I'm still here - sticking in for the long haul. smile

AyeOopMoose Fri 01-Feb-13 14:09:06

Well done leelteloo. I plan on doing 5:2 when I get to my target.

Pippy amazing! I think we started about the same time but I've had a couple of wobbly weeks. It's really good to see your weight loss for my motivation- I don't want to leave restarting a few weeks and see that you've lost loads more and think that could've been me as well. It WILL be me as well grin

Restarted 100% today. Fortunately I can still remember how good I felt in that 1st week once I'd gone into ketosis.

Dreaded weighing today as I thought I'd put most of what I'd lost back on. Not as bad as I thought, put 4lbs on so that can be off in a few days. Aiming to tidy up that 12lbs this week to a round 17st (no pun intended!).

busyhouseof8 (CD) 14.10st (7th Jan) Current = 13.3st Goal = 11.5st
AyeOopMoose (S&S) 18.11st (11th Jan) Current = 17.12st Goal = 11st

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now