Happy New Year! Happy New Paul McKenna Thread Number 11. Healthy Weight Loss Without Restricting Your Enjoyment Of Food! Come Join The Paulettes For Support And Chat.

(980 Posts)
GoodKingWenSOLOslas Tue 01-Jan-13 03:58:46

Welcome to thread 11 of the Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin weight loss system.

The Golden Rules that will aid you on your journey with our like minded support system are:

1. Eat what you WANT
2. Eat when you are HUNGRY
3. Eat CONSCIOUSLY
4. STOP eating when you are satisfied and full

This weight loss system is about re-educating your body; learning to listen to it and in doing so losing weight and inches. After all, eating a meal is not a competition.
Many people have issues around food. Many of us have been brought up by the 'clear your plate' parents of yesteryear which leave us feeling guilty if we leave even the smallest morsel of food, but we are working through this guilt or any other hang up we might have, and we are learning to leave a bit on the plate; return to it another time if we really want to or even feed it to the dog or the bin!
So!! forget diets; they may work for a while, but they aren't permanent solutions. This is a new way of living for your brand new life!!

The Paul McKenna system really works and is easy to maintain.

I've C&P'd our previous threads links as they are helpful.

Here are the book choices on AMAZON which is all you need to get started! they aren't compulsory, but they do help! it's something to refer to and listening to the cd's can really focus you.

This is the tapping technique EXPLAINED - this can be useful to combat cravings.

You don't have to buy the book and CD, but we have found that they do help and somehow they keep you on track, so it would probably be a good investment and will cost you far less than a couple of trips to WW or SW meetings, so do consider having them in your life.

Please feel free to join us, whether it's 10lbs or 10 stones you want to lose.
We are friendly, supportive and successful, but we're not hungry OH NO we're not!!! so come on in and start living your new life today and make 2013 your year to drop a dress size or several.

Divster Wed 16-Jan-13 16:51:10

Hi everyone. Got the gastric band book yesterday, read it from cover to cover as told to do. Today I am feeling great not to be dieting any more, feel like a huge weight has been lifted already. Not even listened to cd yet, but today food is already not as important to me as it was 2 days ago.

The book is anti-diet, and I love it! Going to re-read it, and write notes this time, as he says an awful lot of important things.

Cant wait to shrink my liver and get my band fitted in a week or so.

I would love to go to the seminar, but feel scared about going London on my own

Divster Wed 16-Jan-13 16:52:55

I have also started a fb group thats closed, sorry this was before I saw your page

Ppeat - Soz, I wasn't v. clear. I meant this half of the term not the holidays. The hols are still 4 weeks off sadly. I was just saying that with work Jan is grim and then I have 2 weeks of jury service to get through which will mean normality is a way off. I was hoping to enjoy the jury service thoug. I have a law degree and always found criminal law fascinating but never worked as a lawyer. I try not to have regrets but I wish I had trained as a lawyer. I did start off with that intention but then for some reason didn't. I was looking forward to finding out what I might have missed!

Alibaba - Ah bless your DS2. I expect he'll forget about daddy being around soon enough but it is sweet he has noticed. 6 mths is a good contract - you can relax for a bit. I hope DH likes it and they extend it into the autumn.

Still haven't read the gastric band book. No time at the moment. I'll try at the weekend.

<<Goes off to nosey at aws on FB >>grin

Dottiespots Wed 16-Jan-13 20:58:12

pp found you. Have you seen me?

ppeatfruit Wed 16-Jan-13 21:02:52

Oh BBB It's ok. After jury service i was glad I didn't train as a lawyer hmm they were all SOOOO disorganised and it seemed like they treated everything lightly. When it was peoples' lives at stake IYSWIM. They showed us incorrect/incomplete evidence which I mentioned and got the case thrown out shock. It makes me feel so sick when you think they didn't bother to take a digusting rapist like Saville to court but these pathetic people were charged with nothing more than having a party at xmas that had got a bit out of control.

Sorry for the rant I needed to say that!!

Dottiespots Wed 16-Jan-13 21:19:29

mmmm Im trying to work out who you are BBB

ppeatfruit Thu 17-Jan-13 09:56:20

Have you worked out who Iam aws? (gets excited)!! Morning all BTW grin

Dottiespots Thu 17-Jan-13 17:56:00

O yes pp......found you yesterday actually lol!!! I did post it on here just before BBBs post. Dont know who she is yet but spotted Solo. You do know me though dont you?

Dottiespots Thu 17-Jan-13 23:16:12

Just wondering how many of you are doing the Hypno band thing? Im not as I just want to master this eating "normally". Read some inspiring stories on Amazon of people who had done PMICMYT and they had updated their reviews and had gone on to lose large amounts of weight and for the first time in their lives were happy and at total peace with food. Boppers starting her Hypno band this weekend so will be watching how she gets on.

ppeatfruit Fri 18-Jan-13 10:14:01

aws Morning !!! The ICMYT is the 'best' but I admit I haven't bothered to check out the band thing 'cos I've reached my target grin

It might interest DD2 who is trying to lose weight for her wedding in June but I can't talk to her about it she won't listen grin sad

ppeatfruit Fri 18-Jan-13 10:17:35

I have NEVER gone at her about her weight BTW!! It was one of her boyfs. who called her fat when she wasn't (he was!) and she believed him so she started on the diet rigmarole and now IS overweight. He was a shxx angry

Not the one she is marrying in June then, PP, I hope.

Hello ladies. Sorry for being awol again. internet is not the best here! hmm

had a rubbish week with food. I seem to have been permanently hungry this week, and the more I eat the more I seem to want to eat. Grrrr!! I need to listen to the cd and get my head straight again......tomorrow......blush

ppeatfruit Fri 18-Jan-13 11:18:52

No Thank God P.A. She's not an idiot!!

It's much better if you sit down and close your eyes and count to 15 or 20 chews every time you take a mouthful. That works a treat. I'm being vigilant as well You haven't got the excuse of the snowy cold weather either have you? grin

Divster Fri 18-Jan-13 14:06:24

5lbs down, only been reading the hypnotic band since Tuesday, but i weigh in every Friday. I stopped 'dieting' last week after weigh in and putting on 3lbs. I love that you can take this with you anywhere, and no one would know. No coming off the diet to have a meal out, no agonising over what you can and cant have, completely ruining the meal out. Buying food you actually like, rather than fits in with the 'plan'. I know I am eating less and not snacking, but it also feels ok. I am getting hungry, but then I eat, and all is ok again.

It feels fantastic not using food to change how you are feeling. Feelings can be scary, butt hey dont last long and the havening is really helping now that I have learnt it

ppeatfruit Fri 18-Jan-13 14:46:11

That's brilliant divster grin

emmief77 Fri 18-Jan-13 16:01:53

Told DH that I was listening to trance at bedtime...he was a bit shock but I did manage to listen to most of trance relaxed smile Do you listen to trance every night? I've only managed twice in the last week, but have been more positive generally, not just around food.. Haven't felt motivated to do much exercise though...

Have only got the ICMYT app, wondering about buying the gastric band book soon?

Erebus Fri 18-Jan-13 16:08:34

A Q:

You know how you're supposed to feel hunger before eating? I run into the problem of drinking a can of diet coke with lunch at work- so that makes it hard to know if I'm just full of liquid or properly satieted, doesn't it? I do run the risk of under eating to a certain extent if I feel I may have missed the cue to stop.

Dottiespots Fri 18-Jan-13 21:45:16

Erebus.....why you drinking diet coke? I drink normal coke as cant stand the artificial sweetner taste. But personally, I wouldnt worry about it too much. If your full, then your full, doesnt matter what it is. You can always eat again if you feel hungry half an hour later. But maybe eat first and then you will know when your full and then have a drink.

ppeatfruit Fri 18-Jan-13 21:55:31

Welcome Erebus grin IMO the 'normal' coke is almost an invitation to diabetes! While the 'diet' has soo many additives in it that your body doesn't recognise it as food so you may feel hungry sooner than you normally would after a meal. (I saw a programme on tv that compared some people drinking diet drinks and others not).

You may do better to drink a bottle of water!! Sorry for the rant; I am very anti all fizzy hi sugar drinks esp. when I remember reading that the manuf.of coke wanted to put a 3rd tap on all our kitchen sinks dispensing it shock

DH thinks a cup of coffee is a meal and he weighs oh approx. 6 stone more than me !!

Emmie i don't listen every day now but if i feel tired, I put it on when its quiet at home and have a lovely nap! It's up to you but probably better to carry on until you've 'clicked' with the rules IYSWIM.

Dottiespots Sat 19-Jan-13 23:26:57

pp.....I am totally against artificial sweetners and we are not told the truth about the long term affects on the body and diet drinks are a big con anyway in my opinion. But if Im going to have a coke or a vodka and coke(yum) then I want it to be the real thing, full flavoured coca cola. I also dont agree with any other type of "diet food" and realised along time ago that diet foods and the dieting industry and diet mentality are the reasons so many people have issues with food and weight nowdays.

I dont like this new Hypno band thing. Was reading about it and it seems to me that it takes away your ability to choose to eat like a slim person. To me it seems gimicky and goes against the principles of ICMYS which is to get you back in touch with your own hunger and lose the diet mentality forever instead of relying on yet another way of losing weight.

hmmmm!!!! guess thats my rant over ha ha!. O by the way, I have lost 6lbs now so Im happy with that and also the best advice you could give me was to "Chew"....chew, chew, chew. I consciously started chewing, tasting and puting cutlery down in between and it really really does make such a difference to your feelings of fullness. So thanks for that.

ppeatfruit Sun 20-Jan-13 09:30:25

Morning all!! aws I haven't gone into the details but the Hypno band IMO is P.M. thinking 'there are sooo many people who don't want to eat naturally and prefer 'aids' that include the diet industry' so he's jumping on the bandwagon . What's very good is that it IS'NT a real band !! (that's me trying to be positive hmm)!!

Well done on the 6lbs. grin It's amazing how it all 'clicks' once you chew!! You're very welcome to the advice BTW!!

Erebus Sun 20-Jan-13 12:05:11

aws I drink diet coke because I don't want the calories of full-sugar coke. It is the only artificially sweetened thing I ingest, so 2 cans a week, but I do recognise that it's all a bit of a con. I am reluctant to switch to water because I really don't like water and I feel a bit too deprived (and trying to be something I'm not; a 'body is a temple' subscriber as I know it cannot last!).

A small but interesting observation: Last night DH cooked a lovely 'fish pie' from the Hairy Dieters cookbook- he's dieting too. He does tend to overdo our portion sizes, but I chewed really mindfully, thus way more slowly than I normally would. He asked, a bit miffed 'Don't you like it?' as he finished before me for once, to which I said 'Of course, but I'm eating mindfully' (he isn't doing PMc). They he was a bit put out that the DSs and I all left a bit on our plates, me maybe 1/5 or 1/6th which I put with the bit still in the pot to take tomorrow to work. He, like I, comes from a clean plate tradition.

So you can see how our 'assumptions' about how to eat and how much need challenging!

I've lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks now. I was 12/8, I want to be 10/10. I am visualising myself in some summer cropped trousers I haven't been able to wear for a good 2 or 3 years.

ppeatfruit Sun 20-Jan-13 14:05:07

Good you're doing well erebus If you get a water filter it makes the water a hell of a lot nicer (also cheaper than the salty bottled stuff) it also improves the taste of tea and coffee . Paul Mckenna says that sometimes our bodies give out hunger signals when its really thirsty so he says to drink water before you eat (its not ppeat 'my body is a temple' speaking) really !!! grin

Well it is me a bit! the sweeteners they use give me big red spots which I prefer not to have grin

Divster Sun 20-Jan-13 14:08:03

Erebus - In the book, he says not to drink any fluid with a meal, for the very you have said. Also, not to have stews or soups, as they dont stay in the stomach for as long as dry food does. All the diets that say drink water with your meal, are actually going to make us hungry quicker, but also to fill our stomach with fluid and food at the same time, causes us to override the fullness, again diets teaching us the wrong way.

Makes me wonder if all these diets know all this stuff, but tell us to the opposite thing to keep us struggling with there diets? Same goes with over-filling with fruit and veg, none of which stays in our stomach long due to the water in it.

Erebus Sun 20-Jan-13 15:08:29

Actually, Paul is wrong on that count (re soups).
Last year (or at least, as reported last Jan), an experiment was conducted on TA trainees. Half were given a meal plus a glass of water; half the same food inc water all made into a soup.

Ultrasound was used to measure how full their stomachs were, and the result was pretty much identical. A couple of hours later, after hard exercise, they measured the trainees again - and discovered that a) the soup eating trainees still felt relatively full, and certainly reported feeling less hungry than the solids eating half; and b) U/S revealed that the soup eaters stomachs still had way more stuff in them than the solid food eaters. Effect a) could be bias- they may have been expecting a perverse result- but effect b) can't be 'faked'.

This report wasn't 'selling' a thing; a diet, a way of life. It was examining '10 things you may not know about weight loss' and appeared to be scientifically based- has me convinced!

Yes about a drink with food, in general, though. I'd always thought you would be diluting your digestive juices which can't be a good thing, even though my diet coke does just that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now