Happy New Year! Happy New Paul McKenna Thread Number 11. Healthy Weight Loss Without Restricting Your Enjoyment Of Food! Come Join The Paulettes For Support And Chat.

(980 Posts)
GoodKingWenSOLOslas Tue 01-Jan-13 03:58:46

Welcome to thread 11 of the Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin weight loss system.

The Golden Rules that will aid you on your journey with our like minded support system are:

1. Eat what you WANT
2. Eat when you are HUNGRY
3. Eat CONSCIOUSLY
4. STOP eating when you are satisfied and full

This weight loss system is about re-educating your body; learning to listen to it and in doing so losing weight and inches. After all, eating a meal is not a competition.
Many people have issues around food. Many of us have been brought up by the 'clear your plate' parents of yesteryear which leave us feeling guilty if we leave even the smallest morsel of food, but we are working through this guilt or any other hang up we might have, and we are learning to leave a bit on the plate; return to it another time if we really want to or even feed it to the dog or the bin!
So!! forget diets; they may work for a while, but they aren't permanent solutions. This is a new way of living for your brand new life!!

The Paul McKenna system really works and is easy to maintain.

I've C&P'd our previous threads links as they are helpful.

Here are the book choices on AMAZON which is all you need to get started! they aren't compulsory, but they do help! it's something to refer to and listening to the cd's can really focus you.

This is the tapping technique EXPLAINED - this can be useful to combat cravings.

You don't have to buy the book and CD, but we have found that they do help and somehow they keep you on track, so it would probably be a good investment and will cost you far less than a couple of trips to WW or SW meetings, so do consider having them in your life.

Please feel free to join us, whether it's 10lbs or 10 stones you want to lose.
We are friendly, supportive and successful, but we're not hungry OH NO we're not!!! so come on in and start living your new life today and make 2013 your year to drop a dress size or several.

ppeatfruit Tue 30-Apr-13 12:45:20

Hi Solo sad about the job it must be one of the most difficult ones to do.

Hi BBB How are YOU getting on?

tallulahmay Tue 30-Apr-13 12:51:36

Hi everyone, thanks for the kind welcome smile

Yes, it really is liberating. I have felt so anxious (and didn't even recognise it as anxiety) about food for years. The last week or so I have been feeling hunger which I've not stopped eating for long enough to feel, and he is so right: a little bit of hunger really does make food taste much much better! I feel so sad for the person I've been, stuffing food down without tasting it, wanting it, enjoying it. Feeling horrible with myself all the time about how bloated and uncomfortable I was making myself. This sensation of being relaxed in my body, and comfortable is completely brilliant!! I just hope I can keep it up!! Xxxx

ppeatfruit Tue 30-Apr-13 13:36:37

tallulah It's great that you're 'getting' this but never fear because as you've probably noticed reading our thread we've all gone off and on this and it's so easy to just go back on if there's a blip!

ppeat - how am I doing? Thank you for asking but not great if I am honest. V. busy with life at the moment and not really giving Pauling a thought. I need to get back to it, I know.

I thought of you earlier as I am on a thread about dieting - I thought it might be one you wanted to wade onto. The OP wanted to know if she was being unreasonable to think you have to obsessive about dieting to lose weight. She talked about counting the points of half a cup cake. One bit of me thinks what a waste of time diets don't work. Be as obsessive as you like but it won't last unless you are like this for the rest of your life and who can manage that? The other half of me thinks well if you don't put in the effort, even if you don't calorie count as we don't, you don't get results as I am not at the moment. It is so easy to become a diet bore (I think perhaps she was which is why her DP apparently wasn't very supportive) though or perhaps even a WOE bore! After all we wouldn't have a thread if we didn't want to talk about it. grin

I did make the 'diets don't work' case and asked the OP what she was going to do when she reached target but I don't know if she is BU or not. What do you think? The general opinion was that she wasn't being unreasonable but I wonder if I just think she is being unreasonable because she is doing WW!!!! smile

ppeatfruit Wed 01-May-13 08:18:22

BBB IMHO you just have to make it part of your life (I have been called obsessive I admit grin) Though as you know I don't count calories there are other ways of being careful with what you eat. But I KNOW if I don't follow my blood type and the P.M. and extra exercise I get ill and fat and I don't want that (esp. since getting past the 40ish age grin)

I'll have a look at that thread, but being on here doesn't help my weight loss either!

HadALittleFaithBaby Wed 01-May-13 08:40:28

BBB I know exactly what you're saying. Yes I think for a 'diet' to work you have to be obsessive - counting every calorie because otherwise you miss something. IME the 'diet' isn't the tricky part, maintaining is. When you hit goal you want to stop dieting but if you do, you gain it all back. Dieting doesn't break bad habits. At least with Pauling you change your habits so the WOE becomes ingrained and when you hit goal it's already a good habit!

ppeatfruit Wed 01-May-13 08:48:37

Very true HadA grin

I have posted on that thread BBB she should come on here!

Spinme307 Wed 01-May-13 10:54:40

Hi everyone, I have been reading the thread with great interest and read my book over the weekend. I then sat and listened to the cd Monday night and installed my band. I'm still trying hard to learn to listen to my body as I think I have totally lost my full signals after years of binge eating. it has been going well but I wondered if anybody else has had any side effects of the band?
The reason I ask is because since yesterday lunch time I have had diarrhoea about hour after I have eaten. Sorry if its tmi! I had a chicken salad roll for lunch and a yoghurt and within the hour I felt sick & faint and had to dash to the loo. Same happened last night and this morning too. I pretty sure I'm not eating too much so is it the hypno band or do I just have a bug???

ppeatfruit Wed 01-May-13 13:27:51

Spinme Hello grin I'm sorry i can't help because this isn't the HGB thread (there is one probably on the previous pages). I know some of them have had trouble with it and come on here you're welcome anyway its still easy to lose weight on the ICMYT and its similar just without the 'band'. grin

tallulahmay Wed 01-May-13 20:06:57

Thanks pp I'm loving the whole calm no-fail approach.

You know in the trance? How long do you keep counting backwards for? I seem to get a bit lost around the 280's but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to keep it going?

I've listened to it twice today. Currently quite full of my tea, but a week ago I'd be thinking "I've ruined it, I might as well finish the biscuits/go to the shop for cake...." Because I had a risotto with loads of butter and cheese, but I just really enjoyed it because it tasted gorgeous (see earlier note re lovely butter and lovely cheese grin ) and I'm quite satisfied. This is brilliant. Has anyone nominated the growly one for a knighthood??!!

Tallulah, I love that you call him the 'growly' one. He has been called many things on this thread (smarmy - me, sex God - ppeatgrin) but not growly. I suppose he is. I think he uses a typical hypnotist's voice - if I were going to mimic a hypnotist, I would sound like a girl version of him.

WRT the counting backwards, it is normal not to get past 280ish and it is normal not to remember most of it. It is meant to work like that because it is working on your subconscious. It is a bit like being sedated for me. I have been sedated for dental work before and apparently I am awake in that I respond to voices and do as I am asked but I don't remember a thing (which is the point when they are cutting your gums open and digging out your wisdom teeth!). The difference is that the suggestions made whilst you were asleep/sedated/hypnotised are lodged in your memory. Thankfully the dentist doesn't make suggestions about tooth removal Perhaps he should take the opportunity though - something like, don't forget to floss or brush your back molars better. grin

ppeat - I saw your post on the other thread. Looks like the tide had changed and the sensible people were starting to wade in rather than a load of people just saying how they have to count everything. <<rolls eyes>>

I think our very own Alibaba was the bravest before you turned up. Far braver than me initially!smile

Rulesgirl Thu 02-May-13 00:53:00

Well done for trying on those threads *pp*BBB*. Why are you not doing very well BBB? Did you lose all your weight with this method and have you kept it off? Nice to know other peoples experiences. Im doing ok. Its funny but whenever I start to eat its like a switch goes off in my head and it makes me totally concentrate on whatever I am eating. Im not a big eater anyway and don't want to lose much weight, just a stone. smile

ppeatfruit Thu 02-May-13 08:35:56

Morning All! I've REALLY told it like it is on there now no more pussy footing about!!! they'll flame me for sure grin

Rules I gave up coffee and lost a stone once grin you'll have no problem and you've got a new skill to use forever now grin!!

Rulesgirl Thu 02-May-13 10:11:35

off to look at your "flaming" pp

tallulahmay Thu 02-May-13 10:47:57

pp you lost a stone after you gave up coffee???? Really?? (Am sitting finishing my coffee while I wait for your relply...)

tallulahmay Thu 02-May-13 10:49:17

And thanks BBB I'll just keep wandering off then! Xx

ppeatfruit Thu 02-May-13 11:34:11

Sorry tallulahah that was a long wait grinit I've been hoovering. Yeah I used to have one freshly ground coffee every morning. That's all and when i stopped I had a bad headache for a day (I should've done it at the weekend when i didn't have to be anywhere) but it literally dropped off me.

What's even weirder is when I have the odd one now it speeds up my metabolic rate perhaps having it every day makes your body 'hang' on to water (i'm not a scientist grin).

ppeatfruit Thu 02-May-13 11:37:42

No flaming yet they know its just sense (shame there's so little sense about grin)

tallulahmay Thu 02-May-13 12:44:26

That is really very interesting. I drink fresh coffee (more than one a day!) on the basis that it tastes better and I like it more but I'd never considered it would have anything to do with weight gain. Did you do anything else at the same time? I have a tendency to very much enjoy a Danish pastry or three with my fresh and tasty coffees.... hmm

ppeatfruit Thu 02-May-13 13:05:16

No at the time I really didn't give anything else up. Aah I just remembered I was also starting to eat fruit BEFORE a meal (on an empty stomach)! That is great for the digestion.

Oh I KNOW it stops weight loss for sure because DH is a real coffee addict and although he sometimes tries to lose weight he never actually succeeds (he won't try Paul Mckenna though) and won't stop the bleedin' coffees!!

veryberrybug Thu 02-May-13 18:07:59

ooh, does normal caffeiney builders' tea make you keep weight on too? i'm down to one cup a day but i always lookforward to it (4 o'clock flop syndrome). re: brew tea, thanks for the toptips ppeat, i've started enjoying a peppermint & liquorice tea (yummy & surprisingly so considering i can't stand liquorice!) for that sweet thing need after lunch & always feel definitely full after, so no unnecessary choc going in grin thanks also for reminding me about tapping, i'd gone to using havening because it's a one-stop-shop & i felt there were too many exercises i couldn't be arsed with in ICMYT but i think it should work too, there's tapping collarbone involved. must remember to notice taste while i count chews! for a mum i'm rubbish at multi-tasking!

hada you sound like you're doing vg, ta for fruit tip. i've tried having a lovely mango already chopped & teeny apples, it meant i could just have a wee bit. have you gone out wearing your slippers yet?!! wink re: evening feeding, i remember my MW saying that weeks 3-5 can be unsettled at that time, so sit yourself down in front of the telly & plug her on! also i found making sure baby had a full feed (including a gentle wet face cloth to wake her up, stripping off that babygrow) meant they settled better inbetween. you can tell they're full by their chin doing a wee shudder, after that it's just comfort sooking (& killing your nipples!)

tallulah i too love cheese & butter! sooo nice enjoying them without thinking they're "bad" & feeling calmer. heehee now you've called him growly i'm going to picture a big furry bear when i listen!! i still giggle when he says 3-2-1 & i think "you're back in the room" does anyone else remember that comedy sketch? think it was little britain maybe?

BBB maybe you could join in with us newbies & get back on the Paulettes wagon? like a fresh start if you fancy...
re: being strict, i believe in giving something your all, diet or whatever, otherwise what's the point? that's why i never went on HGB thread beforehand, as loads were doing it with WW which seemed bonkers to me. i suppose that's why diets make us feel like such failures because it's so hard to stick to 100% but a wee slip here & there all adds up...

finally, am i the only one who regularly counts back to 100? mostly aware for first 20 mins & sometimes all.
sorry such a mahoosive post, i should pop in more little & often blush

tallulahmay Thu 02-May-13 20:41:14

Giving up coffee..... My gawd that would be hard. But I'm definitely heavier now I'm drinking more of it. I don't even know if I could - how did you do it pp? Would drinking gallons of tea to replace the caffeine sort of nullify the point?!

Rulesgirl Thu 02-May-13 20:52:26

I don't want to give up my fresh coffee. Only have one occasionally with some lovely chocolate. I love eating everything and anything and not thinking about it. I have always eaten like this but am making more of an effort with it at the moment.
That's a good idea BBB start again with us.

ppeatfruit Fri 03-May-13 09:47:07

Morning all! Rules I still have one occasionally the caffs call what I have a supermodel I have a soya cappuccino decaff with choc sprinkles grin (a decaff 'cos I like my sleep!)

tallula I just stopped it with drinking filtered water (I always take a bottle out with me) and green\miint tea to give a bit of caffiene. Yes I think drinking loads of builders tea wouldn't be helpful grin!!

Come on BBB get yer finger aht gel!!

veryberry yes the tapping is good! The herbal teas are interesting in that you get what you pay for;I find i need 2 tea bags for any flavour and if they're cheap then 3 sometimes! The fruit ones just give me heartburn hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now