Happy New Year! Happy New Paul McKenna Thread Number 11. Healthy Weight Loss Without Restricting Your Enjoyment Of Food! Come Join The Paulettes For Support And Chat.

(980 Posts)
GoodKingWenSOLOslas Tue 01-Jan-13 03:58:46

Welcome to thread 11 of the Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin weight loss system.

The Golden Rules that will aid you on your journey with our like minded support system are:

1. Eat what you WANT
2. Eat when you are HUNGRY
3. Eat CONSCIOUSLY
4. STOP eating when you are satisfied and full

This weight loss system is about re-educating your body; learning to listen to it and in doing so losing weight and inches. After all, eating a meal is not a competition.
Many people have issues around food. Many of us have been brought up by the 'clear your plate' parents of yesteryear which leave us feeling guilty if we leave even the smallest morsel of food, but we are working through this guilt or any other hang up we might have, and we are learning to leave a bit on the plate; return to it another time if we really want to or even feed it to the dog or the bin!
So!! forget diets; they may work for a while, but they aren't permanent solutions. This is a new way of living for your brand new life!!

The Paul McKenna system really works and is easy to maintain.

I've C&P'd our previous threads links as they are helpful.

Here are the book choices on AMAZON which is all you need to get started! they aren't compulsory, but they do help! it's something to refer to and listening to the cd's can really focus you.

This is the tapping technique EXPLAINED - this can be useful to combat cravings.

You don't have to buy the book and CD, but we have found that they do help and somehow they keep you on track, so it would probably be a good investment and will cost you far less than a couple of trips to WW or SW meetings, so do consider having them in your life.

Please feel free to join us, whether it's 10lbs or 10 stones you want to lose.
We are friendly, supportive and successful, but we're not hungry OH NO we're not!!! so come on in and start living your new life today and make 2013 your year to drop a dress size or several.

ppeatfruit Mon 15-Apr-13 14:28:27

So long as its little and often because it will only be colostrom ATM. Usually your milk comes in in a couple of days the more YOU feed her the better she'll get at it (like anything!) practice makes perfect!! grin How long before you go home?

ppeatfruit Mon 15-Apr-13 14:29:18

The colostrum gives her good immunity BTW I'm sure you know grin

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 15-Apr-13 18:33:41

Yes we're going on the boob every 3 hours then topping up. Codiene withdrawal wise have to be in til tomorrow but size wise they want us to stay in until feeding is well established so it really depends on her!

ppeatfruit Mon 15-Apr-13 21:06:58

Is she in an incubator? They don't usually put on weight till a while after birth she's small but not too underweight is she? Are you on codeine for pain?

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 15-Apr-13 21:38:44

No incubator. We're on 'transitional care' so higher dependency just because of size. So far no ill effects from the codiene noted but I pretty much stopped it 3 weeks ago anyway (yay me!). Not too underweight just dinky!

ppeatfruit Tue 16-Apr-13 07:28:48

AAh are you or yr. DH small? How are you feeling now?

DD1 was 2 weeks over dates and just over 6lbs. (DH is shortish and MIL was a size 3 shoe which DD1 still is grin she just bf though and did really well. Though they plateau for a while so don't let the hosp. worry you.

Yay!! Faith, congratulations!! A little girl. How fantastic!! She is dinky but I bet all the better for that. grin grin flowers

What a quick labour too. You do this giving birth thing like a pro clearly!smile

DS1 was 6lb 10oz and born on his due date but since we have whoopers in our family he appeared very dinky and very very cute. Small ones are heart meltingly lovely. (Big ones are lovely too - DS2 was 9lb) The only problem was that I think he was meant to be a porker because once he was out he grew like a weed and fed constantly for months. <<weary at the thought of it>> Hope Abigail grows well but in a more refined and ladylike way that allows you to sleep occasionally.wink

DS1 is now the same height (but not weight thankfully) as me at 12 yo - 5ft 7" (98th centile) and shows no ill effects of being smaller than the average.

Good luck and I hope you get out of hospital soon. smile

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 16-Apr-13 23:08:05

We aren't small! I'm 5'5" and he's 5'8", I was 8lb 6oz at birth. He was 6lb ish but his Mum is type 1 diabetic so planned c-section. No real reason she is small?! Well we had an awful night. Basically couldn't feed her enough and she was hungry/exhausted/wouldn't sleep! In the end they took her away and cup fed her while I slept. Today she has done well with cup feeding and is also starting to breast feed well (though I'm trying little and often to avoid her getting fatigued).

The quick birth came as a shock to everyone BBB! Shock and ouch but I was so relieved when they said I could push, I had visions of that level of pain lasting 12 hours + and that's why I found it hard to cope. The pushing part was ok! She is snoozing in my arms now and totally worth it smile

I was 10 6oz at birth but my mother ate for 2. She learnt her lesson with my bro but he was still 9lb 12oz and a week earlier than me. Cousins were all 9lbers and my dad and his twin brother (with a triplet that failed to thrive and had die at some point in the pregnancy) were both over 7lbs each. My poor grandmother. DS1 was a total shock to come out so small although I think DH's family were about the same size. However, DS1 is built nothing like him. Who knows what was going on?

My friend who is your size had 5lb something babies at term and they are strapping teenagers now so it is just one of those things. Fascinating really. I think there is a bit of a nature/nuture thing going on. I'm not sure which is the stronger tbh.

Lucky you at being allowed some sleep. I had, I worked out whilst I lay there night after night, a total of 4 hours sleep in the 4 nights I was in hospital. It was grim. They didn't feed me properly either. Nothing to eat for 24 hours waiting and labour and still they didn't even offer a slice of toast when he was born at 9pm. I was so shell shocked I didn't think to kick up a fuss! smile

Glad bf is going well. Hope it doesn't cause any pain and problems - ime it isn't always as simple as it looks but it is worth sticking with if only to avoid all that faffing around with bottle!! I'm sure you know all that though - you've got the might of MN to tap into. I wish I had had MN in the early days just for somewhere to whinge too!!grin

Anyway, you'll be home before you know it and then the fun really begins.smile

Oh and she was born on my mum's birthday. Good time of year for a birthday. You have the whole summer ahead of you and hopefully no more cold weather.

ppeatfruit Wed 17-Apr-13 08:48:07

Morning grinIt's always up and down on the sleep front when they're tiny Having that should be Had now! Often it's to get your milk in or they're having a growth spurt and will sleep more the next day grin

Nice to hear from you BBB grin do you really think "eating for two " is right? I thought the meds don't think it makes a lot of difference except if you're diabetic. My three DCs ranged in weight from 6lbs 3 to 8lb 11 and I ate the same through all the pregns.

Yes MN would've been great when mine were little but I'm a bookworm and I stuck to a book called Breast is Best which sounds a bit hmm but it was great for the beginning of BF.

HadALittleFaithBaby Wed 17-Apr-13 20:23:59

I've tried to reply about 4 times!

Ta da to NC!

BBB I was due next Tuesday but am glad she was a bit earlier because technically I get longer at home with her! Lovely time of year to be born smile 15th is SIL's birthday, I know she hoped she would come then but I couldn't keep her in any longer!

We are still working on feeding - purely down to her size. She is getting the hang of breast feeding but I'm going to start expressing so I can top her up with BM rather than formula now my milk has kicked in. She fatigues quickly on the breast...another night in hospital to try to crack it, hopefully home tomorrow but not rushing it.

I could have sworn I wrote a post asking about your name Faith. And a reply about 'eating for 2'. Where's it gone? <<scratches head, gets splinters>>

In this missing post, I burbled on about whether the 'Faith' bit of your name came as a result of finding out your were having a little girl or whether you chose the name for your DD for the same reason you chose your username which I always assumed that because you kept the faith about getting pregnant one day. IYSWIM. I thought you NC'ed when you found out you were pregnant but I am lazy and can't be bothered to look out the old threads. I was just being outrageously nosy really. grin

And now I have come back because it occurs to me that it might be your RL name. You of course don't have to answer that.

Its a lovely name by the way. I sounds like a name that would suit such a dainty little thing. Any chance of the picture? You don't have to be in it!

Fingers crossed you go home tomorrow. It sounds like it is all under control. DS1 got tired from feeding too and then slept for 7 hours on his second day. He didn't cry for a feed even when he woke up. I remember thinking this baby thing was a doddle and he was perfect. grin Unfortunately, they forgot to tell me that newborn babies shouldn't sleep for that long and he ended up jaundiced because of lack of regular feeding so I was in hospital 4 nights. hmm It sounds like you are going to avoid that particular fate - little and often got him sorted even if he wasn't taking much each time. Their little tummies are the size of walnuts they told me - for some reason that will stick with me forever.

HadALittleFaithBaby Wed 17-Apr-13 23:00:56

Right - the name....I wanted a good NN for MN. I was watching Kelly's Heroes and Oddball says Have a little faith baby. I chose it be star I love the film, I'm a Christian so liked the idea of having 'faith' in my NN and yes I had faith that we would have a baby eventually. It isn't my name at all but I post regularly on a couple of quiches that call me Faith and I luff it! DH and I agreed some way into TTC that Faith would be a nice middle name. The first name took more choosing but it means 'The joy of the Father' smile

They thought she would be jaundice - what being small and having a bruise on her head - but that check was ok thank goodness. We are progressing but having a tiny baby is daunting.

Hi Faith, how are you and Abigail today? I hope you have made it home.

I love your name story. It will be a good one to tell you Dd when she is older. My 2 boys have 4 biblical names between them - the bible is a great source of names, isn't it?

HadALittleFaithBaby Thu 18-Apr-13 23:51:25

Much better day - tried latching with a nipple shield and she had suddenly decided to be a breast fed baby! Big test is how we'll get on overnight...given her to a student nurse to settle (she screams when I put her down!) but really hoping for a good night and then maybe home tomorrow!).

ppeatfruit Fri 19-Apr-13 09:21:31

Well there's something hmm going on on MN I definitely DID post yesterday BBB and HadA but its disappeared!!

ppeatfruit Fri 19-Apr-13 09:26:50

I'm glad she's feeding properly now HadA BTW. Remember she's very little in age and weight!! she'll need the warmth of you holding her (perhaps its the nurses who should remember that it takes approx. 3 days for your milk to come down) Patience is a virtue along with with faith!!

Hello Faith and ppeat.

Hope you had a good night Faith. smile. The mother/child bond is a wonderful thing but it can make doing some things difficult, like putting them down! It's good the student nurse was able to have a go. She probably had more luck solely because she isn't you!

Glad the nipple shields helped as well. Certain experts on MN had a bit of a downer on them (don't know if they are still here or have NCed) and I know they can cause problems but often there is no recognition that they can also be very useful too. I used nipple shields for various reasons, particularly with DS1 who we now know has dyspraxia and almost certainly verbal dyspraxia which probably accounts for the fact he took 8 long, painful weeks to really get bf - poor sucking strength. He had to be bigger and stronger before he was able to latch comfortably. To me they were a godsend and I couldn't have bf for well over a year without them. Good if you are able to ditch them though. It was a pain making sure they were sterilized and available.

HadALittleFaithBaby Fri 19-Apr-13 11:27:47

Yes we had a great night - regular feeding and sleeping in between, yes, sleeping! She is a contented baby this morning and I am a happy Mummy. I am hoping the shields will be a temporary stop gap but they are the solution to our current problems. We are aiming to go home this afternoon!

Yay!! grin

Hope your DH has the house sorted or has at least done the washing up!

How is he btw? Hope he enjoying being a new dad and has done some nappies!

HadALittleFaithBaby Fri 19-Apr-13 11:35:49

Bless him I asked him to today round - we're expecting visitors - and he cleaned the kitchen, bathroom and hoovered in the next hour! I don't ex

HadALittleFaithBaby Fri 19-Apr-13 11:39:00

Expect it to stay that way though! He is loving being Daddy - so far, has missed every poo though! Plenty of chances for that when we're home! It's been really tough for him to watch us struggle with feeding. He kept pushing me to bottle feed even though I'm desperate to BF and they said she's probably have similar issues with bottle feeding purely due to her size. The staff have been awesome though encouraging me to persevere!

I do think that sometimes it is harder to watch somebody struggling and/or to be unwell than to be unwell/struggling yourself. Everybody is rightly focussed on you, he can't help or make it better other than by being there. Its a tough job......... But not as tough as yours obviously but at least you can be proactive and try and improve things for yourself. smile

Have a good day and take it easy.

HungryClocksGoBackFourSeconds Sat 20-Apr-13 10:33:56

Hi, can I join you? I've bought the gastric band but I don't think it's working sad I haven't noticed any difference. I am eating less and healthier but I think that's completely a conscious decision, which means I could easily go back to lazy eating.
I've been making an effort with the 4 golden rules, but I still finish my plate and I'm struggling to figure out if I feel satisfied or not. The feeling must be really alien to me!!

I've read the book, practiced havening, listened to track one a few times and listened to the trance twice now. Why isn't it working??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now