Happy New Year! Happy New Paul McKenna Thread Number 11. Healthy Weight Loss Without Restricting Your Enjoyment Of Food! Come Join The Paulettes For Support And Chat.

(980 Posts)
GoodKingWenSOLOslas Tue 01-Jan-13 03:58:46

Welcome to thread 11 of the Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin weight loss system.

The Golden Rules that will aid you on your journey with our like minded support system are:

1. Eat what you WANT
2. Eat when you are HUNGRY
3. Eat CONSCIOUSLY
4. STOP eating when you are satisfied and full

This weight loss system is about re-educating your body; learning to listen to it and in doing so losing weight and inches. After all, eating a meal is not a competition.
Many people have issues around food. Many of us have been brought up by the 'clear your plate' parents of yesteryear which leave us feeling guilty if we leave even the smallest morsel of food, but we are working through this guilt or any other hang up we might have, and we are learning to leave a bit on the plate; return to it another time if we really want to or even feed it to the dog or the bin!
So!! forget diets; they may work for a while, but they aren't permanent solutions. This is a new way of living for your brand new life!!

The Paul McKenna system really works and is easy to maintain.

I've C&P'd our previous threads links as they are helpful.

Here are the book choices on AMAZON which is all you need to get started! they aren't compulsory, but they do help! it's something to refer to and listening to the cd's can really focus you.

This is the tapping technique EXPLAINED - this can be useful to combat cravings.

You don't have to buy the book and CD, but we have found that they do help and somehow they keep you on track, so it would probably be a good investment and will cost you far less than a couple of trips to WW or SW meetings, so do consider having them in your life.

Please feel free to join us, whether it's 10lbs or 10 stones you want to lose.
We are friendly, supportive and successful, but we're not hungry OH NO we're not!!! so come on in and start living your new life today and make 2013 your year to drop a dress size or several.

Just popping back to say congrats to Faith for getting to matenity leave. How exciting. Enjoy it- life will never be the same again soon and nor will maternity leave. If you have another child you definately won't get the chance to chill like you can this time

Solo lovely to see you. Hope work is not as bad as you thought and you are enjoying some extra cash too ( so it all feels worth it).

Chinhealer - you are spot on with you big post a few days ago. I am definitely no. 1 on you list of reasons why the 4 rules fail. You cannot pretend that if only you eat a bit less unhealthy food you will suddenly lose loads of weight. You might lose a few pounds but you won't be slim(unless you don't have much to lose in the first place). You need to make a shift in your way of eating and that can't be done without a little bit of conscious consideration - ban nothing unless you no longer enjoy it. To say that it doesn't presupposes that when naturally slim people who have never dieted nor had any need to, go shopping they don't think about what they buy. Everybody has to think about food. You can't rely on a CD and the 4 rules to take away the need to think about what you are putting in your mouth, nor should you. That would be as bad as following a diet imo because you are passing the responsibility to something or someone else to tell you what to eat even if it is via your own subconcious.

Hell, I am so hung up on not banning anything that I won't do the tapping exercises for 'cravings'. To me thay are like the gastric band thing. They are putting restrictions on what you eat and labelling some foods as bad. Or I could just be lazy and/or cynical. wink

ppeatfruit Sat 23-Mar-13 11:57:45

Having Fantastic news enjoy your leave as BBB says grin!!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sat 23-Mar-13 12:15:34

Thanks! grin
Yes, I'm telling Pickle not to come too soon, I want to enjoy this time! I have grand plans for batch cooking and nesting tidying the house!

Dottiespots Sat 23-Mar-13 15:03:03

Cats and Dogs get fat because their owners spoil them and give them too much food and then put them on diets. I have never had pets who are overweight.

The Four Rules and the CD do not take away the need to think about what you are putting in your mouth, they do just the opposite,dont they? That is what I thought. And the first one is the most important....to actually eat when you are hungry. If you do just that one thing you will lose weight.

To be honest I dont think this thread now seems to believe that the 4 Rules of PM work on their own. Having re read his book it explains in simple terms how to eat Normally and that when you learn to eat normally that you will also choose foods that are good for your body as well as pizza, burgers etc if you want them. If you still eat loads of junk and rubbish and no nutrient rich food and are not losing weight or have not lost most of the weight then to me you are not really doing the 4 Rules properly and do not trust in the process.
This thread now seems to be complicating all that. For me and others the 4 Rules approach works and we do lose weight and are still losing but I am feeling that we are getting too hung up here on healthy eating and non healthy eating and choosing foods because they are healthy rather than choosing foods you want. From alot of research of people who stay with PM it would seem that this way of eating definately works in that they make healthy choices naturally without overthinking it. I know I do.Their bodies naturally desire healthy food anyway. This thread seems to be moving away from its basic message and is does not seem supportive of Paul McKenna ICMYT and is returning to a "diet mentality" which is very offputting. confused.

ppeatfruit Sat 23-Mar-13 17:31:00

I think it's been easy to lose weight for me on here without following the Eat What you want because I DO eat healthily and have done for a long time before doing P.M. I haven't been on a 'normal'(counting cals.) diet at all and have never binged.

There's room for all types on here IMO including the gastric bands . Actually P.M. has changed his rules with that anyway hasn't he?

My friends just give their dogs biscuits and they don't 'spoil' them. but they are fat and unhealthy. We used to give our cats those cat biscuits and never spoilt them or 'dieted' them they just got fat and unhealthy BUT as I said before now when fed at the same time on non wheat meat they are NOW slim and healthy there is no other reason why. Cats and dogs eat without issues unless fed shxx. Believe me. I'm not making it up.

Dottiespots Sat 23-Mar-13 19:09:57

When its said that you Cant rely on a CD or the 4 Rules *to take away the need to think about what you are putting in your mouth then that is a negative comment with regards to the whole point of this thread. The point of PM 4 Rules *is to take away the need to overthink what you are putting in your mouth and to make it simple.
I do believe that that is the case with your pets PP but I myself have never had fat cats or dogs but then again I dont overfeed them or give treats. They have food in their bowls and they seem to self regulate and if their not hungry they leave food in their bowls till later when they go back to it.
I agree that there are room for all types on the thread but some of what is said like the above just seems to be saying that Paul McKenna ICMYT does in fact not work exactly as it says on the box.

Dottiespots Sat 23-Mar-13 19:10:48

sorry got mixed up with my heavy print and soft print there.

Solo Sun 24-Mar-13 00:28:12

Quick sprint in...

Feeling hungry at work because I have to eat breakfast so early and then lunch not until 12:45 ish...so I'm waiting for about 6 1/2 hours between my tiny breakfast and my lunch. No time for snacks; lucky if I can get a cuppa!! <sigh> having a bit of money is nice, but I'm missing my kids...

Well, you'll have to forgive me for not reading or answering posts on here ~ I just don't have the time or energy. I will try to join in now and again though.

HALFBABY when is baby due? must be quite son now? perhaps you could PM me so that I can see any reply without having to read through everything please? I may only get on here now and again sad

Keep up the good work everyone!!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sun 24-Mar-13 08:09:43

I'll reply on here but PM solo too so everyone knows...I'm officially due 23rd April but who knows when baby will come. MW thinks it might be breech (currently it feels like its across my bump). Obviously progression with pregnancy depends on whether this changes. Either way I should have my baby within 6 weeks! smile

ppeatfruit Sun 24-Mar-13 09:39:18

Oh blimey having they do move about quite a bit before birth don't they? so don't worry grin

sad about missing your DCs solo nice to hear from you though!

Dottie You may be over thinking all this; we're all different and succeed, or not, in different ways. Rules IMO are MADE to be flexible grin. In fact I live my life according to that philosophy, I'd be very unhappy if I didn't grin.

Dottiespots Sun 24-Mar-13 16:11:57

Ok , Fair enough smile

1. Eat what you WANT
2. Eat when you are HUNGRY
3. Eat CONSCIOUSLY
4. STOP eating when you are satisfied and full

I am surprised that anybody would be unable to see that following those 4 rules and doing nothing else would not always result in weight loss. For example,

Eat what you want - I want chocolate and chips
Eat when you are hungry - easy enough. Still eating those chips and the chocolate though.
Eat consciously - ummm, yum, chocolate and chips taste lovely (separately mind you). I am enjoying eating them.
Stop eating when are satisfied and full - Again, easy. I am not hungry any more then I stop.

There does come a point though when eating and chocolate and chips, much as you eat them slowly and enjoy them and stop when you are full, will not help you lose weight.

I agree with ppeat - you can be too hung up on the rules so that you can't see the reality of the situation - you won't be healthy eating nothing but chocolate and chips and you won't be slim. Rigidly applying the 4 rules without any thought is the same as being on a diet imo. You are asking the rules to control your eating instead of taking some responsibility for it yourself by chosing, sometimes, to have an apple instead of the chocolate. You can do that without compromising the 4 rules and without being stuck in the diet mentality. It is what normal people do, the ones with no food issues and aren't overweight. Surely that is what we are all aiming for?

Solo - sad about missing your children. I hope you are all OK and that it gets easier.

Faith - where have the last 8 months gone? You're going to have a baby next month! shockgrin

Doesn't seem 5 minutes since I said at New Year, you're going to have a baby this year!!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sun 24-Mar-13 17:37:56

smile BB.

I think Paul had super simplified the whole thing for the general public. For example, I know he said he didn't really want to call it I can make you thin - I think slim and healthy would be better but it's not as catchy and wouldn't sell as many books! Equally surely the first rule is really Eat what your body is telling you it wants. For me, it's about pausing to think: 'Am I craving this, or does my body want it?'. I can usually distinguish if I pause and think!

ppeatfruit Sun 24-Mar-13 18:45:56

To change the subject grin I've just made a batch of hot cross buns that I'm really proud of they're GD friendly so one batch I made with choc. chips and fewer spices and chopped walnuts and the other with stronger spices and a sticky spicy topping.

I must admit I didn't really want to eat the one I tried for testing purposes blush but it was lovely and light even though I used a mix of spelt/Kamut and rice flours.

Dottiespots Sun 24-Mar-13 23:56:56

But following the Four Rules does result in weight loss for me and thousands of others. You obviously have a problem with eating chips and chocolate in moderation. I do not. Im sorry that you dont find that The Rules work just as they are but they do.
The result is that I have lost a stone since November on this WOE and it was easy and by listening to the CD and using the 4 Rules I only have another few pounds to lose. By allowing myself to eat WHATEVER I feel like, I naturally choose a balanced diet full of veg, fruit, proteins etc not chips and chocolate though they certainly are not ever banned and I will eat them if I feel like it. Why wouldnt I ...they have no hold over me.
I think the proof of any WOE is if it works for you and if you lose the weight and keep it off then of course it works. If you keep falling off the wagon and starting again and then say that the plan doesnt work , well maybe you are then failing the plan not the plan failing you. Just a thought.

Dottiespots Mon 25-Mar-13 00:18:48

The Rules do not control my eating, the Rules allow me to control my eating. Its really very simple.

ppeatfruit Mon 25-Mar-13 09:39:55

IKWYM. I do think it's probably easier for people who haven't soo much to lose and therefore have a better body image (I know I couldn't relate to the part of his CD that talks about seeing yourself slim because I never had really seen myself as not slim IFYSWIM) Even though I 've lost nearly 3 stone it was the heaviest I had ever been.

nevergoogle Mon 25-Mar-13 21:28:09

9.5 lbs lost.

Today, there was a 12 on the scale instead of a 13.
Although to be fair it was 12stone13.75lbs, but it was definitely a 12 that I saw. grin

ppeatfruit Mon 25-Mar-13 22:04:20

HOORRRAAAAAAYYYY never !!!! grin

Nevergoogle - well done on your loss. You must feel brilliant. smile

Faith - that is it. Eat what your body tells you it wants. To me that is slightly different to eat what you want. Your brain may be telling you to eat something different because you like the taste and it is enjoyable (chocolate and chips for example) but that doesn't make it healthy and it may not be what your body wants to stay healthy.

Dottie - I don't have a problem with eating too much chocolate and chips. It is an example obviously. I was merely illustrating a point which Faith puts better than me - listen to your body and not to what pops into your head as being a pleasant and enjoyable thing to eat. There is a subtle difference. I have never said the plan doesn't work - I have said that you need to follow the rules with a modicum of intelligence in a way that works for you as an individual and that means pausing to think about what you really want and why. I do agree with her that the plan is catering to the lowest common denominator and made super easy but I do think that everybody is different and you need to work out your own path with the rules merely as a guide. The rules aren't the be all and end all anyway. The real USP of PMcK's book is the CD and the hypnosis and that is what makes the difference.

To be honest, I think I need to withdraw from this thread. I think some people are making this unnecessarily complicated and it is getting a bit competitive. I am not feeling the love any more. I would love to keep following if only to make sure that Faith has her baby safely and everybody is fine but I am not going to contribute much any more because I don't think I care to be told I am failing.

FlatsInDagenham Tue 26-Mar-13 20:32:09

<sneaks in to look around the thread>

<almost sneaks out again>

<decides to stay>

Hello!

I've just bought the book.

I have 2.5 stone to lose. I lost 2 stone since July on SW but I've been stagnating for a few weeks. Not because of SW but because of me. I need a new approach.

Nice to meet you all.

nevergoogle Tue 26-Mar-13 22:14:31

hello flats, don't go! we need more people to dilute the bickering about the rules. so what do you make of the book so far?

ppeatfruit Wed 27-Mar-13 08:59:15

Morning all and a big welcome Flats We're nice on here really we are grin you've found the best way of losing weight and maintaining (which is the most important part IMO grin). Also it's very easy.

bonzoed Wed 27-Mar-13 10:57:44

Hello! I am just starting the Hypnotic Gastric Band book. It would be good if I could read the book, listen to CD and watch DVD before Friday when the kids are off school and the Easter eggs start arriving!

I would like to lose about 12 kg.

ppeatfruit Wed 27-Mar-13 11:10:49

Welcome bonzoed you're welcome here but there is a gastric band thread as well I'm not saying to just go on there I think google is on both. It works BTW I've lost nearly 3 stone on this (not the gastric band thingy) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now