Happy New Year! Happy New Paul McKenna Thread Number 11. Healthy Weight Loss Without Restricting Your Enjoyment Of Food! Come Join The Paulettes For Support And Chat.

(980 Posts)
GoodKingWenSOLOslas Tue 01-Jan-13 03:58:46

Welcome to thread 11 of the Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin weight loss system.

The Golden Rules that will aid you on your journey with our like minded support system are:

1. Eat what you WANT
2. Eat when you are HUNGRY
3. Eat CONSCIOUSLY
4. STOP eating when you are satisfied and full

This weight loss system is about re-educating your body; learning to listen to it and in doing so losing weight and inches. After all, eating a meal is not a competition.
Many people have issues around food. Many of us have been brought up by the 'clear your plate' parents of yesteryear which leave us feeling guilty if we leave even the smallest morsel of food, but we are working through this guilt or any other hang up we might have, and we are learning to leave a bit on the plate; return to it another time if we really want to or even feed it to the dog or the bin!
So!! forget diets; they may work for a while, but they aren't permanent solutions. This is a new way of living for your brand new life!!

The Paul McKenna system really works and is easy to maintain.

I've C&P'd our previous threads links as they are helpful.

Here are the book choices on AMAZON which is all you need to get started! they aren't compulsory, but they do help! it's something to refer to and listening to the cd's can really focus you.

This is the tapping technique EXPLAINED - this can be useful to combat cravings.

You don't have to buy the book and CD, but we have found that they do help and somehow they keep you on track, so it would probably be a good investment and will cost you far less than a couple of trips to WW or SW meetings, so do consider having them in your life.

Please feel free to join us, whether it's 10lbs or 10 stones you want to lose.
We are friendly, supportive and successful, but we're not hungry OH NO we're not!!! so come on in and start living your new life today and make 2013 your year to drop a dress size or several.

Dottiespots Mon 18-Mar-13 22:22:39

Im still not convinced that the Gastric band is safe but thats just me. I dont like the way so many people have said they feel odd, sick, pain,etc after installing it and i read that when its done privately that you have to have it uninstalled at some point. Sort of freeks me out making my body feel its had an operation. As I said, just me and i wonder if there will be any long term lasting effects. Time will tell but Im very curious. I listen to the original space out cd with the lovely countdown. Dont fancy Mr. McKenna at all but find his voice brilliant for sending me off. ha ha.
Welcome back Cupcake.....things is if you can do ICMYT normal than you have a tool you can use for life really. Whereas with the gastric band, it only works as long as your under the hypnotic affects and how do you know when it might have worn off.

Dottiespots Tue 19-Mar-13 00:05:27
Dottiespots Tue 19-Mar-13 01:44:18

Hi PP hows you?

ppeatfruit Tue 19-Mar-13 11:51:01

Hello Dottie I'm fine thanks grin DD2 has been here for a few days and we found her wedding dress! It just fits so she's doing the 5;2 to lose the excess; she introduced me to P.M. but doesn't go for it for some odd reason sad And how are you ? grin

Ref. gastric band from what you say it does sound a bit hmm but whatever floats yer boat grin.

nevergoogle ref. water in car you have to be careful NOT to leave a plastic bottle in the car (esp. in the heat) because apparently the plastic 'rots' in the sun and the plasticisers leech into the water which can cause cancerous conditions. I keep mine in my bag and refresh it before most journeys. grin

chinhealer Tue 19-Mar-13 23:42:40

Been a few weeks since I was on here last... I've been too busy to devote time to it or to my Eating Consciously blog:

cheeriofatty.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/conscious-eating-day-41-my-best-soup-yet-and-an-incipient-revolution-in-my-writing-too/

But I thought I might weigh in with my feelings about the Eat What You Want, Not What You Think You Should Eat rule.

I, too, was at PM's most recent Weight Loss event in London. And while there was much to inspire and much to get excited about, I left feeling somewhat perturbed by the almost total lack of discussion of what constitutes 'healthy food'.

The rocket scientist lady who lost an incredible 16 stones following the rules was certainly an inspiration in one way. But I didn't get any sense from her or from any of the other successful PMers there that WHAT they were eating had changed much since their 'fat' past.

I am worried about that because I recognize that thinness is not, necessarily, the be all and end all. You can be thin (and, possibly, very aesthetically pleasing!) but still be incredibly unhealthy on the inside! Similarly, you can be fat (and, perhaps, aesthetically displeasing!) and relatively healthy on the inside.

So it is great that people can and do lose weight/fat following PM's rules. And I am continuing to do so myself.

But I agree that there HAVE to be some changes to what you are eating to ensure that you remain healthy on the inside. PM seems to think that your body will naturally gravitate away from craving unhealthy rubbish towards craving healthy, wholesome, primarily home-cooked food. (And that has certainly been the case for me. I have now gone two months without a single crisp or chocolate and with almost no unhealthy puddings and almost no ready meals.)

But I think that there are two major dangers I can foresee if you follow the Eat What You Want rule blindly:

1. You might not manage to lose weight/fat at all - and might even gain weight - because you are continuing to eat lots of rubbish. This might make you disheartened with the whole way of eating and lead you to give up altogether.

2. You might lose significant weight because you have stuck rigidly to the rules, but you haven't bothered to exercise at all and because you are largely eating nutritionally redundant food, you are not feeding/fuelling your body in a healthy way. This can lead to major health problems in the future. I mean, fat people are not the only ones that suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes, cardio-pulmonary problems etc etc!

I didn't and I don't obsess about what I eat, but I do think about it. Surely part of conscious eating is being aware of what you are putting in your body? (Not just how often and how much?)

I don't believe I am in diet mode at all. I feel that I have reset my attitude to food for life. The habits I learned in my first month of PMing seem like they will be lifelong.

I used to be a major consumer of fizzy drinks. I gave them up nearly a year ago because they were harming me and were causing health problems and were of zero nutritional benefit. I have absolutely no interest in consuming them now. I'm feeling the same about crisps and chocolates and ready meals now. I am just so satisfied with the real meals/fruits etc that I am eating that those artificial/empty calories have totally lost their allure. Avoiding them is no kind of chore and isn't even an act of willpower.

But I don't think that that makes me a 'dieter' or a calorie counter! Personally, I have been enjoying my experiments with home cooking so much that I could never go back to eating rubbish.

And I agree that each of us has to come to some awareness of what constitutes rubbish for us. Wheat is, indeed, poison for many. I used to think it was for me. But those were in the days of overeating and erratic eating and unconscious eating. I'm finding that I am able to tolerate wheat very well when I am eating it in moderation and within the context of PM's rules.

But I have to say that fizzy drinks, for example, are almost universally rubbish. Some might be worse than others, but none of them are good for anyone. I am very happy and very relaxed about eliminating/minimizing nutritionally worthless foods from my food intake.

I understand PM's eagerness to not make anyone feel deprived or restricted, but I believe there are dangers in giving no thought at all to what you are putting into your mouth.

Surely the ultimate goal has to be health. Not, merely, thinness?

ppeatfruit Wed 20-Mar-13 09:12:18

ABSOBLOODYLUTELY Chinhealer!!!!!grin grin as you are aware I'm with you all the way.

I can't count the times i've been on a Health thread and suggested to the 'ill' poster that maybe she should look at what she's eating rather than dash to the docs and get a quick fix for her problem and I've been totally ignored hmm

I think of all those poor cat walk models who are thin and certainly don't look healthy (i've never understood why clothes should look better hanging on a skeleton you might as well model them on a floorboard!!).

Dottiespots Wed 20-Mar-13 22:28:33

Hi....Chin On the cd (not the gastric one) PM does tell you that as you allow your self to eat according to the rules that you will naturally choose foods that are healthy and appropriate for you. He also says that you will move and exercise. He reinstates this in his book as well. Se being that his way is about Hypno weight loss using hypnosis by the cd then he is talking about healthy eating but his main focus is to help people who have dieted and binged and had unhealthy body image and starve mentallity all their lives. His main goal is to enable these people to learn how to eat "normally" again where no food has any more value than an other. But on the cd when you go under the trance their is alot of enphasis on eating a diet full of vegetables and fruits and balance of carbs protein and fats.

Dottiespots Wed 20-Mar-13 22:30:03

Sorry, writing is a bit off as have been in bed with migraine all day. Bit spaced out now.

ppeatfruit Thu 21-Mar-13 09:09:04

Morning all, I hope you're feeling better Dottiespots grin Do you get migraine's after eating a certain food?

ppeatfruit Thu 21-Mar-13 09:10:21

Sorry didn't mean to put the possessive apostrophe after migraine grin

Solo Thu 21-Mar-13 10:28:46

Hello all! sorry for my absence; I have not had time to come on to MN at all. I have taken today off as it is my birthday.

I am absolutely knackered from work and am constantly hungry. Not eating much more than I was, but I think I'm going to have to as I'm just so hungry throughout the day. Think it'll be a bigger breakfast and if I'm working through til 8 or 9pm, then I'll have a proper dinner type lunch at work instead of a sandwich.
Yesterday at work, I felt like my trousers were looser on me! happy days!

I hope you are all doing well.

ppeatfruit Thu 21-Mar-13 11:29:11

Lovely to hear from you solo grin I thought you'd be very busy.why not take a snack rather than eat through the fullness signal? Especially as you're losing !!

I'm doing well and will soon need smaller trousers than M&S 10s which are 12s anyway aren't they? what with vanity sizing!!

Dottiespots Thu 21-Mar-13 17:01:40

Hi Ladies (and Gents)....
PP I have had migraines since I was a little girl, about 5 is my earliest memory. Not completely sure what brings them on. Stress and over excitement does, alcohol can (always get a headache after alcohol and have to take antihistimine) but dont drink alcohol anymore. No food really brings it on but smells can like chemicals and petrol and paint.

Dottiespots Thu 21-Mar-13 17:08:30

O and I have lots of headaches but only get full blown migraines few times a year .

nevergoogle Thu 21-Mar-13 20:50:18

ah now, it would seem i have still lost weight despite the date binge.
...and my period started, and now i'm wondering if it's an iron thing.
i've been really tired all week. really sleepy. falling asleep at 7pm etc.
have had some steak and sprouts and feel less tired this evening.
either way, it would seem the dates were irresistable for a real reason???

could it be?

Dottiespots Thu 21-Mar-13 20:59:40

Ooooo Never.... yes dates are quite high in iron so maybe you needed them. They (the experts) do say we should listen to our bodies and the body will say what it needs be it some form of instant sugar fix or a plate of vegies or some steak!!! Well done on the weight drop though.

nevergoogle Thu 21-Mar-13 21:27:50

...and it was nothing at all to do with the little paper cases that made them seem like such a treat, nope, it was definitely the iron grin

Dottiespots Thu 21-Mar-13 21:51:21

ha ha. Were they the majool dates then. They look all sweet and pretty in their little cases.....just like a box of chocolates.....mmmmm. .I want some now.

ppeatfruit Fri 22-Mar-13 11:08:05

Oh yes google you know I said that dates do things to DH's belly? Well what they do is good for weight loss grin sorry TMI. grin

Those dates in the little paper cases are sweet enough to be chocolates as you say dottie I LOVE them. They're healthy!!

nevergoogle Fri 22-Mar-13 19:18:21

haha, they had the opposite effect on me i think.

but i've stopped beating myself up about it.

9lbs gone now. slow and steady weight loss.

today i saw a waist in the mirror!

Dottiespots Fri 22-Mar-13 20:02:19

I have been reading my Paul McKenna, love food lose weight book and he says that of course nutrition matters when it comes to your bodys health but it has NOTHING (his capitals not mine) to do with weight loss. In the past 50 years there have been over 2000 published diets and tens of thousands of recipes for "weight loss" and the worlds is fatter than it has ever been. The shifting sands of popular dieting and eating fads tell you not to eat carbs or eat less fat or less sugar or to eat different combos of foods and they all miss the point- when it comes to losing weight, its not about the food. iTS THE WAY YOU THINK AND BEHAVE AROUND FOOD THAT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE. He says that every naturally person he has ever met eats a wide range of foods including pizza, chips, ice cream and chocolate etc without ever gaining weight because they have never dieted . Im listening to my CD again and reading my books because after reading some of Chins posts although I got what he meant, the point of PMICMYT is to not get hung up about the nutrition of food but to learn to behave different around food and then your body will choose a variety of foods to eat. And the aim of the CDs and system is to eat like a normal slim person who doesnt binge cause they had a chocolate bar. smile

Dottiespots Fri 22-Mar-13 21:09:19

Well done Google ....yay !!!grin

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sat 23-Mar-13 09:43:54

Hey solo, good to see you! It's ok to be hungry you know wink Good to hear your trousers feel looser, something's going right then!

Great stuff never! Sounds like its really working for you.

I am now officially on leave! smile I made it to the end of work! 35+4 and 12lb heavier than when I got pregnant. I plan to go swimming a fair bit in the next few weeks to stay active. I've been a couple of times and I've really enjoyed it because it takes the pressure off the bump.

I have been prone to migraines in the last few years. I have definite food triggers (dark chocolate, real leaf tea, goats cheese, red wine) but by avoiding them I've been better. I do think a lot of it was hormone related and I do wonder if taking a magnesium supplement has helped to balance my hormones out.

ppeatfruit Sat 23-Mar-13 09:55:04

Well done google grin

dottie we could discuss this forever BUT P.M. has forgotten that dogs and cats are also getting fat why? IMO because they are eating the WRONG food for their metabolism. As soon as we removed the biscuits from our cats and gave them protein only they slimmed down and became healthy (their fur grew back on bald spots and they stopped limping). Surely animals can't have the wrong attitude to food it's the food itself that is wrong for them.

And as we said there have always been very unhealthy thin people.

nevergoogle Sat 23-Mar-13 11:11:50

i think there are choices to be made but it becomes easier to make the good choices with PM.

i had a choice this morning for breakfast. I could have had coco pops with full fat milk and boy they were tempting as I served them up for DS1 (who is underweight). But were they what I really 'wanted'. Perhaps for the first mouthful they would have been nice, but in truth I know they go soggy quickly and one bowl doesn't satisfy and then I'd go on to snack before lunch. And I know that's not what I 'want'.

so muesli it was, and delicious it was too.

did I eat what I want? yes. I 'want' to eat healthier.

so I think the 'eat what you want' rule is deliberately vague and debatable. but i do think if you listen to your body it will tell you exactly what it wants and i doubt very much that's a 10 tonne easter egg.

it's the learning to tune in to what you actually want that's the skill to be learned here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now