Happy New Year! Happy New Paul McKenna Thread Number 11. Healthy Weight Loss Without Restricting Your Enjoyment Of Food! Come Join The Paulettes For Support And Chat.

(980 Posts)
GoodKingWenSOLOslas Tue 01-Jan-13 03:58:46

Welcome to thread 11 of the Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin weight loss system.

The Golden Rules that will aid you on your journey with our like minded support system are:

1. Eat what you WANT
2. Eat when you are HUNGRY
3. Eat CONSCIOUSLY
4. STOP eating when you are satisfied and full

This weight loss system is about re-educating your body; learning to listen to it and in doing so losing weight and inches. After all, eating a meal is not a competition.
Many people have issues around food. Many of us have been brought up by the 'clear your plate' parents of yesteryear which leave us feeling guilty if we leave even the smallest morsel of food, but we are working through this guilt or any other hang up we might have, and we are learning to leave a bit on the plate; return to it another time if we really want to or even feed it to the dog or the bin!
So!! forget diets; they may work for a while, but they aren't permanent solutions. This is a new way of living for your brand new life!!

The Paul McKenna system really works and is easy to maintain.

I've C&P'd our previous threads links as they are helpful.

Here are the book choices on AMAZON which is all you need to get started! they aren't compulsory, but they do help! it's something to refer to and listening to the cd's can really focus you.

This is the tapping technique EXPLAINED - this can be useful to combat cravings.

You don't have to buy the book and CD, but we have found that they do help and somehow they keep you on track, so it would probably be a good investment and will cost you far less than a couple of trips to WW or SW meetings, so do consider having them in your life.

Please feel free to join us, whether it's 10lbs or 10 stones you want to lose.
We are friendly, supportive and successful, but we're not hungry OH NO we're not!!! so come on in and start living your new life today and make 2013 your year to drop a dress size or several.

Diets don't fail aws. They just come to an end.wink grin

Seriously, it isn't the diet itself that is the failure because people can and do lose weight. What fails is that once the 6 days or 6 weeks or 6 months is over and you have reached target and you don't have to eat in a strange and restrictive way any more, you go back to your old habits because you can't live on a 'diet' forever and you haven't made healthy changes to your diet that you can live with indefinitely. They are designed for the weight loss and not for the maintenance. I read that somewhere and it struck a cord. I think it is true. Nobody can count points, sins or calories or whatever forever and still stay sane or have a good relationship with food or their bodies even if doing so does what it is supposed to in the short term.

Don't you just wish that for once there was a quick fix though?! <<sigh>>

Can you tell I had too much for tea!? With good reason after the week/month we have had which is now thankfully behind us, but even so, I'll have to start again (again) tomorrow.

Chinhealer - thanks for the link. That sounds like my kind of exercise. I would rather do weight than get out of breath any day of the week. (obviously I know weights aren't enough although I wish they were!)

Erebus - that is interesting about the 5:2 being beneficial men more than women. I think all the qualitative case studies I have read were on men although a lot of the lab work on physiology alone was both men and women. Men tend to find it easier than women I think but they don't have to deal with fluctuations in their hormones which can make them get very hungry at certain time in the month - it is more difficult to fast when you are suffering from the monthly munchies that can sometimes strike...... or is that just me!? blush

Women also have more fat naturally which maybe they are conditioned to hang on to for reproductive purposes which would perhaps negate the impact of fasting. I don't know. I think I did read something a while back about breast cancer rates in ultra low cal diets being lower but I could be making that up. I might try and find it later.

Dottiespots Fri 01-Feb-13 22:52:36

Hi Cowboy......so day 1.Welcome and Well done for trying to change the way you eat. Its not quick but it is something that can be done for life. Whats not to like. There are good days and bad but keeping a diary helps me to see where i go wrong and what was happening that day.
BBB......I do weights and they really are good for contouring your body and shrinking it as the muscle gets bigger and takes up less room in clothes. How much have you lost altogther BB?

CowboyPie Sat 02-Feb-13 00:43:16

Well, it's the end of my first day. I didn't manage to find time to listen to the cd, thanks to DP being ill and DS being a toddler. There's always tomorrow though!

First day didn't go so badly, I certainly was very conscious of everything I ate and I'm starting to be more in tune with feelings of hunger already. Satiety though, that will be hard, but I did the 'stop as soon as you think you're full'. I suppose 'knowing' when you're full comes with time?

Dottiespots Sat 02-Feb-13 00:54:11

Hi Cow......ha ha.....that sounds soooo wrong!!!... Feeling truly hungry is the first one to master. For me its that feeling that if i dont get to the kitchen and eat "now" that the world will stop. And as for full.....for me its the feeling that the food just loses its taste. ie....doesnt taste as good as the first couple of bites did. Then i stop. Have been really munchy myself today , hormonal i think. But havnt really eaten alot all told. About 1500 to 2000 cals. Im trying to write down what i eat more as an exercise in my eating habits than counting calories. Realised i ate too many biscuits instead of food so trying to rectify that.

chinhealer Sat 02-Feb-13 02:54:04

@awsangel - I guess the only aspect about following the Golden Rules which might be unwise for bfing and pregnancy is that I, for instance, have been actively conscious of reducing my portion sizes down to the point where I am pleasantly satisfied on the whole. Or even neutral, sometimes. And on Thursday I went nearly 12 hours without food between breakfast and dinner because I simply wasn't hungry despite being very active and, even, going to the gym for a short cardio workout during that time! Now, I don't think that would be wise for bfing and pregnancy. But maybe, as long as a bfing or pregnant woman listens to her body (and is properly in tune with her body) she will be able to gauge how much to eat and when in a healthy way.

If anyone's interested, I've recently begun a blog to document my experiences following the Four Golden Rules:

cheeriofatty.wordpress.com/2013/02/01/eating-consciously-day-10-a-day-of-no-hunger/

chinhealer Sat 02-Feb-13 03:41:50

@BBB - I know what you mean. But, actually, if you're doing it right, (ie. heavy enough and slow enough with perfect form) the high intensity weights workout actually makes your heart work harder and in a healthier way than it would doing steady state aerobic exercise and it will leave you feeling like you've run a marathon! It sounds a lot easier than it is. But, mercifully, it is over quickly!

But, unless you are very familiar with the inside of a gym, I would definitely ask one of the gym staff to guide you through this new way of weightlifting initially. (And, it goes without saying that you should make sure your GP is fine with your exercising like this - especially if you have been sedentary for a long time.)

Dottiespots Sat 02-Feb-13 03:42:30

Chin....I can see what you mean but when breastfeeding I was always hungry in the early weeks anyway so ate more. But generally, after having a baby most of us are carrying extra weight which is there for that very purpose ie so the body can use up the fat stores to keep the milk supply abundant. I breastfed my two for a couple of years each.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sat 02-Feb-13 09:00:39

I find the basic principles of PM are compatible with pregnancy but sometimes I find I'm listening to cues from my baby and not just my stomach. I found if I didn't eat enough some days my baby was less active (not good) so I start eating maybe a little sooner than I usually would. I also get to 'very hungry' on the scale more quickly and feel full faster. Obviously I'm not trying to lose weight at the moment, but I don't want to binge and gain tonnes because with a high BMI, I've been told to try to minimise my gain to about a stone. I am very much enjoying the freedom to eat whatever/whenever I feel I need to (absolute Pauling!) and am very happy with my body smile

Welcome to cowboy! Glad your first day went well. I found the easiest time to listen to the CD before bed personally and I feel more relaxed before I sleep!

Cupcake1982 Sat 02-Feb-13 10:31:58

Hi, I'm new to this sight and just wrote a long message introducing myself and it didn't work for some reason (so hoping this one does smile )
I have been dieting on and off for years and I am bigger than ever so thought i'd give pm a go! I have tried pm in the past and do like it I just need to stick with it!
It is great to find people that have had success with the system!
Do people suggest the new pm book with the gastric band?
Looking forward to getting to know you all smile

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Sat 02-Feb-13 12:57:48

Hi all

Jan is over and I'm back. Except I left my iPod in work so no meditation for me this weekend.

Have decided I need to somehow be more active in day to day life but that means getting up earlier to walk from the station to work. Good luck to me [shocked]

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Sat 02-Feb-13 12:58:11

Hi cupcake

<waves>

chinhealer Sat 02-Feb-13 15:42:14

Hi Cupcake (can I call you Cuppy?)
I would suggest giving PM's I Can Make You Thin and his Four Golden Rules as explained in his Gastric Band book a good go for a decent amount of time first. (A month or two?) But you absolutely HAVE to follow the four rules to the letter. And it is essential that you eat away from the TV, reading material, radio and all other distractions. (Including friends and family if at all possible. Or, if others are present, please keep conversation to an absolute minimum. Only then can you truly focus on your food and the signals your body is trying to give to you.) In fact, PM says himself in Gastric Band that if you are unwilling to give up TV when eating, he can't help you! I totally understand, now, why he is so uncompromising on that point.

See how you progress without the gastric band first. I reckon that, with most people, the Four Golden Rules are all that is needed to absolutely transform your relationship with food. I know that's what happened with me two weeks ago.

And I'm beginning to understand why PM is so against the entire diet industry. For the vast majority of people, dieting - in whatever shape or form - does not work in the long-run. Mostly because most people cannot sustain a diet for an entire lifetime and because diets encourage neuroses about certain foods or food groups! But his Four Golden Rules are totally sustainable throughout one's life! And you don't need to deprive yourself of anything. No food is forbidden. I love that aspect of it all!

chinhealer Sat 02-Feb-13 15:45:23

@awsangel - you deserve to be on some sort of honours list for breastfeeding for so long!

And HavingALittleFaithBaby's insights are very interesting too.

Solo Sat 02-Feb-13 15:51:26

Boo!! hello all! I'm home for the weekend! crap access to the internet in Rugby, so I've given up trying tbh!

Good news is that I've lost a further 1.5lbs, so another 2lbs and I'm back to 2stones off!! and much nearer to being 12 stone something!

Hello to any new Paulers and to all the regulars.
I am not even going to attempt reading through the bits I've missed because I have so much to get done before driving back up there tomorrow <sigh>
3 cooked meals a day available to me there, but I'm being very sensible and eating normally....seems to be the right thing to do eh?!

Hope to catch up again soon smile

Dottiespots Sat 02-Feb-13 17:21:51

Hi Everyone....Cupcake.....I would just read the oringinal I Can Make You Thin book with cd and poss. 90 day journal if you want. The gastric band actually goes against PM original thoughts. He did disagree with hypnotic bands orginally but seems to have jumped on the band wagon with that one and "sold his soul" lol but he also says somewhere that the "band" does not address the underlying issues with disordered eating which ICMYT does.
As Chin says.....all you really need are the four basic rules....the rest is really up to you. But it is a case that you have to really really concentrate when eating till it becomes second nature.
Chin....thanks for the proposed award grin .
Solo.....Hi.....what do you do away in Rugby ?( being nosy)
Faith......ooooo your date is getting closer and closer. How you feeling.?
Doctrin......Im glad Feb. is here to and the days are getting longer and lighter. Hows the weight going?

Dottiespots Sat 02-Feb-13 20:12:12

Hey Cupcake.....its meeeee!!!!!

Cupcake1982 Sat 02-Feb-13 21:29:36

awsangel that just made me laugh! I nearly spat my wine all over my lap top!! smile

Cupcake1982 Sat 02-Feb-13 21:31:04

Thanks for the lovely welcome ladies and chinhealer cuppy is fine smile x

Dottiespots Sat 02-Feb-13 21:44:46

O dear....hope lappy is ok.

Dottiespots Sat 02-Feb-13 21:48:27

You know you said you have been on loads of diets and yet are now even heavier.....well I dont believe in diets. I know deep down that they dont work and that they are just money making companies. You need to find something that you can do for life. If for instance you had lost all your weight and were the weight you wanted to be, how would you continue to keep your weight stable? If you had been on a "diet" then you would probably find yourself binging on all the food that you couldnt eat freely before and before you know it you are back to gaining the weight again. So......if you lost the weight with PM and were the weight you wanted to be and didnt want to regain then eating mindfully as you have done would be the only way to keep it off wouldnt it?

Solo Sun 03-Feb-13 01:02:26

Retraining to do my job!

Divster Sun 03-Feb-13 10:59:07

awsangel I was wondering why you suggest the first icmys book? He has updated the 4 times since the first one, just wanted to know your thoughts please smile

Dottiespots Sun 03-Feb-13 13:49:04

Divster....sorry not very clear...I just meant the first book ie ICMYT not the Gastric Band one.

CowboyPie Sun 03-Feb-13 17:20:51

Hello, Paulies, I'm on my third day and checking in.

Yesterday wasn't so great as I ate sweets and a slice of DP's pizza once I was already full. I struggle with feelings of satiety though, so I'm counting it as a plus that I actually recognised the 'full' feeling, even if I did decide to ignore it.

Today has been great. I've had a few cups of coffee when I've fancied them and I didn't want to eat for hours after I first got up because I just didn't need to. I had two slices of garlic bread with cheese, then a can of full-sugar Fanta because I fancied it. Two teeny tiny (really, they're minute-sized and so cute) rich tea finger biscuits and now I've just had 8 jalapeño poppers with BBQ sauce to dip them into, followed by a small creme fraiche fruit pudding. That is hardly ANYTHING compared to what I'd eat before. Right now, I'm satisfied too and genuinely don't want to eat anything else. Does this last? It's amazing!

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Sun 03-Feb-13 22:50:09

Thanks aws, weight is steady which is an achievement for me as I usually comfort eat through busy work times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now