Happy New Year! Happy New Paul McKenna Thread Number 11. Healthy Weight Loss Without Restricting Your Enjoyment Of Food! Come Join The Paulettes For Support And Chat.

(980 Posts)
GoodKingWenSOLOslas Tue 01-Jan-13 03:58:46

Welcome to thread 11 of the Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin weight loss system.

The Golden Rules that will aid you on your journey with our like minded support system are:

1. Eat what you WANT
2. Eat when you are HUNGRY
3. Eat CONSCIOUSLY
4. STOP eating when you are satisfied and full

This weight loss system is about re-educating your body; learning to listen to it and in doing so losing weight and inches. After all, eating a meal is not a competition.
Many people have issues around food. Many of us have been brought up by the 'clear your plate' parents of yesteryear which leave us feeling guilty if we leave even the smallest morsel of food, but we are working through this guilt or any other hang up we might have, and we are learning to leave a bit on the plate; return to it another time if we really want to or even feed it to the dog or the bin!
So!! forget diets; they may work for a while, but they aren't permanent solutions. This is a new way of living for your brand new life!!

The Paul McKenna system really works and is easy to maintain.

I've C&P'd our previous threads links as they are helpful.

Here are the book choices on AMAZON which is all you need to get started! they aren't compulsory, but they do help! it's something to refer to and listening to the cd's can really focus you.

This is the tapping technique EXPLAINED - this can be useful to combat cravings.

You don't have to buy the book and CD, but we have found that they do help and somehow they keep you on track, so it would probably be a good investment and will cost you far less than a couple of trips to WW or SW meetings, so do consider having them in your life.

Please feel free to join us, whether it's 10lbs or 10 stones you want to lose.
We are friendly, supportive and successful, but we're not hungry OH NO we're not!!! so come on in and start living your new life today and make 2013 your year to drop a dress size or several.

Erebus Thu 24-Jan-13 21:15:40

slot so little? lost so little!

Dottiespots Thu 24-Jan-13 21:21:59

Fath.....your mum sounds just like mine. But when I had my children I made a conscious decision to never make food an issue. To my children food is ...well.....just food. Ive never separated treats and non treats or low fat and diet and normal. I have always had a chocolate draw filled with choc bars, sweets,crisps etc. Cakes if anyone wants them (homemade), coke, proper yogurts, real butter and real cheese,real mayo etc. Funnily enough I read about this way of being with food in a book called overcoming overeating where it stresses that food is just that......food. I also have loads of salad, huge bowls overflowing with fruit, berries, chicken, salmon, brocolli, fresh herbs ect and my children have grown up very slim and eat when they are hungry, stop when they are full and my daughter is size 6 to 8 and 5ft 7 and she has no issues with food. So Im glad I managed to not continue the "issues" my mother passed to me onto my children. I also have followed this way of eating myself for the last 20 years but was still guilty of falling back into the dieting trap. So now I stick to the mindful eating and its working really well.

angelabbie Thu 24-Jan-13 22:44:20

hello everyone, I wondered if I may join in the thread. I have just started the Gastric band and am going to get the app for the other one you guys are doing. I have read the entire thread with interest and the support is fab. The gastric band is really just the same as the one you guys are doing now except with the addition of being helped to feel full. That is the only difference I can really see at the moment. I am only on day three and finding eating without distraction a bit tricky with three kids all wanting something or another but its nice to not feel as if I am on a diet.
Anyway nice to meet you all and hope to get to know you all over the next few weeks.
x

Hi Abbie, and welcome. smile

just wanted to pop in while my internet is behaving for 2 minutes to let you all know that I am still reading even if you don't see me posting.

We do not have scales here, but there are some at work, so I had been weighing once a month on them, but they seem to have disappeared!! shock I thought this would freak me out, but actually I am remaining calm and am taking my encouragement from the fact my clothes are getting ever looser. I have very limited clothes here as we arrived with one suitcase each and having lost quite a bit of weight so far, some I cannot wear any more at all. I might see if I can buy some this weekend, see if I have lost enough to fit into something here! With the lack of scales, I am worried that I will put some weight on and not be aware of it......or perhaps I am making excuses.........or perhaps I am waffling because I can't get on here much, so while I can I will make the most of it. grin

Have a good day. <waves>

Dottiespots Thu 24-Jan-13 23:36:01

Hi angelabbie.....welcome. There have been loads of threads before this one by the lovely ladies who originally started it. Your on day three....hope it goes well for you. I personally dont agree with the "imaginary gastric band" as it goes against the original idea of ICMYT which is all about mindful eating and learning for life how to eat like a slim person and not relying on diets or gimmicks to screw you up. Ive been following a few threads on the imaginary gastric band and from what i can see the idea that you cant eat more than a certain amount because the band stops you doesnt seem to work. The ladies that started it are already binging and overeating and still not knowing when they are full etc. They seemed to expect it to be like some magical solution to their weight loss.....just like a diet.......but the only way that really seems to work for life is to be aware of yourself when you eat and follow the 4 rules. BBB said it best when she mentioned eating like children. Most children who have been left to their own normal eating will only eat when they are truly hungry, eat what they want, and automatically stop when they are full. Thats normal.....then they grow up and someone mentions the word "diet" and thats when there normal eating pattern goes out the window not to mention emotional eating cause they feel bad.
Anyway it will be really interesting to see how it goes for you with the "band" thingie....but if you keep to the 4 rules then you should be ok with or without the imaginary "band".

Dottiespots Thu 24-Jan-13 23:40:24

Hi Positive.....hows it going. Well done you on having loose clothes. Wowee!!! trying on new clothes and having them fit or be too big will be fun.I wouldnt worry about the scales just concentrate on Pauling as this is an opportunity to see eating mindfully working without watching the evil things.ha ha.

ppeatfruit Fri 25-Jan-13 09:25:55

Morning Everyone smile A big welcome to you angelab grin

Good to hear from youPositive Sounds like you're doing REALLY well esp. if you reckon the locals clothes will fit you now or soon !!!! I don't weigh at all or maybe every 2 months or so! (and we keep one under the desk right here with my computer on it for luggage grin) I just notice if my belly is a bit bigger in the mirror in the bathroom.

aws and BBB IKWYM about eating like children BUT thinking about it some of them need to taught to CHEW slowly (I'll never forget one of my mindees shoving pieces of banana into his mouth and not swallowing till he was retching shock) that was just him he liked banana grin.

angelabbie Fri 25-Jan-13 13:54:48

Hi asangel. I am going to read the ICMYT over the weekend and next week as that is new to me. I happened to come across the other one first which is the only reason I am doing it first. He is very clear in the book that you have to follow the four golden rules. I think that the band side of it was supposed to help you recognise the full feeling quicker which is what is happening with me but I am being very mindful of the way I am eating and am convinced that is what is making the difference rather than anything else. I also think it is very easy to convince yourself you are still hungry when you are not just because the food is so nice or you do not want to be wasteful.
Its all very interesting and I def do not feel as if I am on a diet but I do find myself thinking about food just as much as if I was on a diet if you see what I mean.
Anyway have a good weekend everyone.

Dottiespots Fri 25-Jan-13 18:48:18

Yep abbie I agree with you. You are thinking about food alot when doing this mindful eating but only because your asking yourself "nice" questions like
Ooo I feel hungry (hunger scale)
What do I really really feel like eating
Eat it
Chew very slowly and concentrate on the taste, texture,
Am I full or have I had enough of this particular food now
Stop....even if you have only had a few bites
pp was the one who told me to chew,chew,chew and poss with eyes closed as you really are in the moment more. But it makes such a difference. But the thinking is different as you dont have to overthink yourself into a tizz as to whether you have had too many cals or fats or points or whatever....just think about what it is your eating and your enjoyment of it.
It doesnt feel simple to us because were not used to being in touch with our own hunger and full signals but it will get normal as we get used to it .

ppeatfruit Sat 26-Jan-13 08:55:36

morning all grin That's very nice of you aws but I 'm sure I read the 'chew chew' rule in P.M's ICMYT book or it's in one of his DVDs or C.D'S. Interestingly it was a "diet" rule in the early 19th C and before. Also its much better for your whole digestive tract because digestion starts in the mouth!

ppeatfruit Sat 26-Jan-13 09:02:26

angelabbbie I cook healthy cakes which are delicious! (well I think so [grin) and that's usually the time I feel myself not being mindful) we all go 'off piste' sometimes it's normal (I did over Xmas) I just return to it properly and off comes the extra bit of weight. grin

Hello!

ppeat - re eating like children, I was wondering how old banana stuffing boy was? Was he old enough to have picked up bad habits from his parents? Just pondering. I suspect if he had been allowed to retch often enough it would have slowed him down but you never know with some children! It could have been risky putting it to the test too. The consequences of it being allowed to continue would not be pleasant!

I also have a theory that some food bolters are naturally skinny (just thinking of a few people who I have known who eat exceptionally fast). They just do everything fast including eat and consequently burn up any extra calories but sadly, it probably doesn't apply to any of us. I know our problem is probably not stuffing it down at great speed but just eating without thinking more than anything.

Re parents' influence on our eating. I too was not allowed many real threats. We had homemade cake a lot (daily really but it was made on a Sunday and once it was gone it was gone) but we didn't have the money to get sweets and crisps more than once in a blue moon and as soon as I got pocket money and bus money and had a bit of freedom I started to buy things I would have been better off without. And then knowing my mother wouldn't have approved and would have said I should be saving, I started getting secretive about it as well. Not good. sad

I have tried not to ban anything for my boys thinking that they would not bother if it wasn't forbidden but it hasn't worked like that. They still want sweets and fizzy drinks if they are around. If I don't buy them then it is effectively banning them and if I do, I have to keep an eye on what they eat so it hasn't really worked out except they are willing to accept that once they have had a bit of something that is it for the day. Time will tell if they go mad once they have the freedom to buy stuff for themselves.

ppeatfruit Sat 26-Jan-13 21:46:32

Hi BBB Banana boy was about 10 months to a year I s'pose (it was 28 years ago) shock after he did it once I watched him more carefully at meals and gave him smaller pieces one by one when he'd finished the one before! He was always VERY TALL and thin you're right grin.

We allowed the DCs complete freedom with their pocket money and they bought sweets with it, I went with them when they were little, then they started saving for toys etc. and so stopped buying sweets naturally IYSWIM. They had them at the ILS or friends but we never had a tin all the time. I tried not to make an issue out of them. Chocolate was more forthcoming than sweets because I like it!

TBH it seems that whatever we do we're in the wrong!! So eff it!!

Solo Sat 26-Jan-13 22:56:55

Hi all. Really tired, got loads to do before going off to training on Monday...lost 5 1/2lbs last week btw (had gained a few), so am now 13st 5 1/2lbs again. I bought the PMK gastric band book today from WHS for £6.49. Not sure why, but want to keep my options open, but still keep to my Paul iyswim? <faithful>.

Hope I can get Wifi at the college so I can keep sane in touch.

Welcome newbies, hi to all the regulars and keep up the good work.

Dottiespots Sun 27-Jan-13 04:25:07

Hi Solo. Well done on the weight loss.
PP....from what you have said on your posts do you eat quite low carb?

ppeatfruit Sun 27-Jan-13 10:08:18

Morning all SOLO !!! I thought of you when I posted last night I hope everything is going well; the weight loss is great grin

aws I follow my Blood Type (using my own experiences of course) which is brilliant because the author is a scientist\nutritionist and has tested each food against each blood type; and it explains e.g. why some of us hate steak and tomatoes (and get eczema and arthritis from them; A types like me ) while others are good with them; O types like DH.

I don't eat ANY wheat but I eat other whole carbs like org. oats, rye, spelt and Kamut bread, crackers etc.

ppeatfruit Mon 28-Jan-13 12:52:12

IS THERE ANBODY THERE grin???!!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 28-Jan-13 13:55:50

Nope!

Ha yes actually. Had my glucose tolerance tested. Think it sent me mental...popped to shops, left my debit card behind. Fortunately realised I had forgotten to buy the salmon I wanted so popped to coop and then realised it was missing, drove back and got it back. Been home about 10 minutes and realised I left my keys in the front door hmm Have eaten a salmon sandwich though (thought I could do with the protein) and starting to feel a bit better!

ppeatfruit Mon 28-Jan-13 14:44:32

Oh blimey HavingA grin perhaps it was LBSL!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 28-Jan-13 14:45:57

LSBL?!

ppeatfruit Mon 28-Jan-13 15:06:40

LBSL Low Blood Sugar Level grin

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 28-Jan-13 15:14:08

Ah! Indeed! Yes I feel a million times better for eating and a sit down smile

Jayneguest Mon 28-Jan-13 15:17:56

I found that after struggling to eat slowly at first I got much better and i have managed to get the kids to slow down too. I saw an independant hypnotist although he did say that paul mckenna does similar things because he uses all the best techniques that he hears about. sounds sensible.

ppeatfruit Mon 28-Jan-13 16:27:08

Interesting about the best techniques jayneguest Are you joining us or have you changed yr name? Welcome anywaygrin

Jayneguest Mon 28-Jan-13 17:56:01

Hi ppeatfruit been trying to find the link for the guy I have been seeing and his website so you can read his gastric band thoughts. He wasnt a fan as he said that if you have gastric band hypnosis then it doesnt really address the real issues, or something like that ! will try and post link after the kids have had tea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now