Happy New Year! Happy New Paul McKenna Thread Number 11. Healthy Weight Loss Without Restricting Your Enjoyment Of Food! Come Join The Paulettes For Support And Chat.

(980 Posts)
GoodKingWenSOLOslas Tue 01-Jan-13 03:58:46

Welcome to thread 11 of the Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin weight loss system.

The Golden Rules that will aid you on your journey with our like minded support system are:

1. Eat what you WANT
2. Eat when you are HUNGRY
3. Eat CONSCIOUSLY
4. STOP eating when you are satisfied and full

This weight loss system is about re-educating your body; learning to listen to it and in doing so losing weight and inches. After all, eating a meal is not a competition.
Many people have issues around food. Many of us have been brought up by the 'clear your plate' parents of yesteryear which leave us feeling guilty if we leave even the smallest morsel of food, but we are working through this guilt or any other hang up we might have, and we are learning to leave a bit on the plate; return to it another time if we really want to or even feed it to the dog or the bin!
So!! forget diets; they may work for a while, but they aren't permanent solutions. This is a new way of living for your brand new life!!

The Paul McKenna system really works and is easy to maintain.

I've C&P'd our previous threads links as they are helpful.

Here are the book choices on AMAZON which is all you need to get started! they aren't compulsory, but they do help! it's something to refer to and listening to the cd's can really focus you.

This is the tapping technique EXPLAINED - this can be useful to combat cravings.

You don't have to buy the book and CD, but we have found that they do help and somehow they keep you on track, so it would probably be a good investment and will cost you far less than a couple of trips to WW or SW meetings, so do consider having them in your life.

Please feel free to join us, whether it's 10lbs or 10 stones you want to lose.
We are friendly, supportive and successful, but we're not hungry OH NO we're not!!! so come on in and start living your new life today and make 2013 your year to drop a dress size or several.

Erebus Sun 20-Jan-13 15:10:12

And sadly, filtered water doesn't help much! My home water is filtered but I still prefer a slug of squash in it! I do have half a litre of water 'to hand' at work and try and swig from it regularly, though.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 20-Jan-13 15:33:54

Hi everyone. Sorry to have gone AWOL, again! DH back to work tomorrow so normality will resume.

Divster well done on your weightloss, what a great start!

Erebus - the soup thing is quite correct, there have been various studies on it over the last few years and there does seem to be a degree of truth in it. I must get back to having some either for lunch or certainly as part of it.

You are so right about there being so many assumptions to challenge. When you break it all down it is quite scary how much we are conditioned to just eat with no thought.

I have ordered the gastric band book from Amazon, I'm looking forward to seeing what it is like!

Solo - if you are lurking, good luck back at work tomorrow x

ppeatfruit Sun 20-Jan-13 16:38:31

Fascinating about the soup thing erebus and Ali TBH I just go by what I want to do and I LOVE soup grin and usually have a glass of water or wine sometimes with my meal.

Yes SOLO hope everything goes well with you tomorrow grin

Hi ladies

Hope you are staying warm although don't you burn more calories when you are trying to stay warm? Actually I am surprised somebody hasn't invented the freezer diet!grin

I saw the programme with the ten ways to lose weight. It was on this time of year a few years ago. I also agree that soup is supposed to help you lose weight by making you feel fuller for longer. Personal experience shows that to be true.

I have bought the gastric band book because I am nosy but I do agree that it is straying into the realms of the diet and away from normal eating. That said I haven't read the book yet so may be it all hinges on making sure that you 'fullness' receptors are finely tuned. I really need to read it properly and not make assumptions. I'll let you know my final thoughts but I wouldn't have a gastric band because I don't want to have to think so hard about food and I wonder if that is the result of the hypno version or whether the restrictions you put on yourself are unconscious.

Good luck to the returners to work tomorrow.

Solo Sun 20-Jan-13 23:39:37

Hi all, I am back to work tomorrow, so just popping in. See you all soon I hope. Wish me luck; I need it!

Dottiespots Mon 21-Jan-13 00:31:49

Hi everyone....hope all of you returning to work have a good day.
Solo....heard anything from the man?
I love a homemade bowl of soup with fresh crusty bread and a hunk of cheese. I dont have it before a meal though as Id never eat the meal so I can see why its a dieters friend. One of my favourite drink is sparkly mineral water and elderflower cordial.
Im still finding the chewing very good as it gives me time to appreciate each mouthful before putting the next one in.
Well done on weight loss Divster and anyone else that might have lost a bit.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 21-Jan-13 05:52:30

Good luck solo!

ppeatfruit Mon 21-Jan-13 10:24:51

Morning All!! having I didn't read all the GF free thread but read your post and I make bread with Kamut and rice flour; I'll give you the recipe if you want.

I made a non tomato minestrone for lunch and its nice! Yes that with maybe a piece of toast fills me up completely as you say aws there's no way its a starter!!

Erebus Mon 21-Jan-13 20:57:13

BigBertha just realised the 'reporter' on the '10 things yo didn't know about losing weight' or whatever that programme was called was Mosley, the bloke who's 'invented' 5:2!

Currently struggling a bit with eating enough at meal times to avoid my 'oh, just a bit of this, a bit of that' between meals! I do of course snack but I have chosen what I'll eat beforehand and when I eat it, according to whether I'm hungry (when I get that luxury on work days!) but I haven't factored in the 4 spoonfuls of yogurt, a spoon each from the boys desserts, etc that is offered and accepted without a thought by me blush.... THAT can well add up!

Dottiespots Mon 21-Jan-13 22:04:26

BB I dont think the Mosley bloke invented 5:2....hes just tried it out as he is the reporter and he has made a few programes of this nature trying other ways of eating.

Dottiespots Mon 21-Jan-13 22:24:30

he was the one responsible for popularizing the diet but there are many people who have written books on it.

ppeatfruit Tue 22-Jan-13 10:09:46

Morning All !! I don't reckon there's any competition between the 5:2 diet and ICMYT I don't fancy doing 500 cals on ANY day thanks grin (Not that I ever count cals grin )

Erebus Tue 22-Jan-13 13:10:15

I seriously couldn't imagine doing 5:2 forever, but I do think ICMYT has longevity. After all, providing your diet wasn't completely out of control beforehand, ie was largely 'the right stuff' but too much of it and too many treats, PMc is really just trying to reset our 'stop' button, the one inside I'd say pretty much all of us; whereas imho 5:2 requires divergence from 'the norm'. I did read something in the paper last week where they were comparing 2 diets, calorie control and 5:2 and asked a bunch to people whether they thought they'd still be able to be on either diet a year hence, 25% said yes to 5:2, but 85% said yes to CC ( ie they could say 'yes' or 'no' to both, it wasn't either/or in case you think I can't count!).

Best of luck to anyone who's trying 5:2 though- if it works for you and you can keep the weight off, it's a success.

Michael Moseley is just a television reporter and I think he was a doctor although I am not sure if he qualified. Or I might be confusing him with Harry Hill about not being qualified. confused grin

No he didn't invent 5:2 diet although I notice on Amazon that he has jumped on the band wagon and has bought out a book this year but certainly, he didn't think of the idea.

My first encounter with that sort of thing goes back to much further than that. I think the original idea came from James Johnson in 2009 with the Alternate Day WOE although there are research studies I have seen from a few years earlier than that.

It is actually easy to eat only 500 calories a day. You can get a lot of fruit and veg and low fat proteins (chicken or fish) with 500 cals a day and certainly if you eat that and manage to get past the first week or two, you don't actually get starving hungry anyway.Your appetite decreases to more normal levels. It isn't difficult to get used to from a food point of view. What I couldn't get used to though was the social side of it. Whereas with PMcK you can work your way to eating with family you can't incorporate nearly fasting into normal life so easily. I couldn't do it at weekends for example but I was OK when I could eat by myself as I do for breakfast and lunch most days. It is also made harder when you have to cook for others and then not eat it which is not an issue with PMcK. It all went wrong for me in the school hols when I am never alone!

I was looking for the BBC website for the link to the programme on 10 things you need to know to lose weight and they seem to have changed the web page so they don't list them any more but this blog post lists all 10 things. I thought that the soup one was interesting but also the one about the wider your choice of food the more you eat. Presumably you want to try a bit of everything and you lose the element of boredom that might stop you shovelling food in too. That would probably tally with ICMYT eating - you take longer to be satisfied if you have lots of things to try.

Erebus - I think the 85% who thought they would still be calorie counting in a years time were deluded. They either would still be calorie counting but spending every day kicking themselves when they had eaten too much or they would have given up and restarted many time. They just think it is easier I presume. We know that CC doesn't work

5:2 is more of an unknown - not many people had heard of it until recently. I also think that if you look at how small children eat, you often find they eat less some days than others naturally. It isn't about making sure they eat 3 good meals, they just eat when they are hungry. If you could predict when your less hungry days were and you ate like a toddler you would probably find those days to be good days to eat the 500 cals making it very doable. Unfortunately, as adults we don't have the 'take it or leave it' attitude of small children.

ppeatfruit Tue 22-Jan-13 14:21:17

I get hunger pangs EVERY day though BBB grin As you said a while ago 'cos I eat mostly fruit and veg. maybe I don't eat many calories I don't care as long as I keep my weight down and don't feel hungry I'm happy!!

Dottiespots Tue 22-Jan-13 16:11:01

I find the oposite to be true for me. The wider my choice of food....the less I eat. I find that anything that i restrict I crave so when i go shopping i buy exactly what i want to eat . Obviously I dont overspend but I never buy diet food and deny myself. I always have chocolate and a biscuit tin full of biscuits, crisps and peanuts, cheeses, loads of fruit and veg, chicken and salmon, salads, eggs, real butter, real sugar, fresh coffee ect...my diet is healthy but I eat exactly what I want,when I want it and for me this PMICMYT is working just perfectly. I will not go back to the diet mentality. Im so glad I found this thread cause for me it just caused it to totally click having read back over the other threads.

For me the 5:2 is just another diet which I now I couldnt ever stick to. I also personally dont think much of the Hypno band as again its not allowing you to eat naturally and make choices for yourself as there is this "imaginary " blockage thats doing all the thinking for you. For this to work for ever you have to be the one in the driving seat making choices and understanding your own hunger and your own mind.

BB I would say that with PM way of eating that you do eat like a child. That is what PM puts you back in touch with. That part of your self who only even thinks about eating when they are really hungry and eats whatever they really need and want at that time and then stops when it doesnt taste as good anymore and you are full. That is how children eat and that is what PM tries to teach us. Somedays I naturally dont eat more than 800 cals and other days I eat a bit more I guess. When starting this I counted them out of interest for a week or too but now I dont need to.

I know for everyone it doesnt work because their own mindset and issues get in the way. Some people mistake eating whatever you want when you want it to mean.....start eating and dont stop cause they genuinely cant. I have had emotional eating problems too usually when I feel bad about myself and would then eat all the "bad" foods" even though i wasnt hungry but usually I was still stuck in the diet mentality.

Erebus Tue 22-Jan-13 16:49:50

Bertha I would have to strongly disagree with your statement: 'It is actually easy to eat only 500 calories a day'- no it isn't. If it were, there wouldn't be how many posters on this Topic?!

It has definitely been shown that continuously drastically reduced calorie intake extends your life. But tbh, I'm personally not sure I'd want longer life if it entailed having to live with what I would call deprivation every single day of it!

I am not going to denigrate a diet I haven't tried (and am not likely to, tbh), but I know that personally, being a 'social being' surrounded by Western Culcha like I am, there's no way I could keep 5:2 up!

Aw I agree re the gastric band thing. I don't think it's a sound idea if you are trying to reprogramme yourself to consciously eat 'normally' for ever.

Re Calorie Counting, I guess one thing is that after a while, you know what the calorific value of foods are so you don't maybe actually 'count' them, you are just 'aware' of them. Many women have decades of this knowledge (men don't- you only have to watch a bloke start a diet!- DH came home laden with dried fruit, nuts, cheese, malt loaf (!) and so forth, and was duly shocked when I told him the calorific value of everything. He still errs towards 'Caesar salad', being bedazzled by the 'salad' part of it grin)...

Erebus Tue 22-Jan-13 17:01:20

I should maybe add that DH and I aren't really calorie counting as such- I'm PMc, he's 'what's put in front of him' grin.... No, we cook our evening meal using the Hairy Dieter's recipe book because the food in it is just like real food but cooked in less calorie laden ways.

DH is finding dieting easier than me, as many men tend to. His hormones aren't tripping him up and he can be quite singleminded about stuff. He is 5'6" (shortarse!), weighed 12 stone and has lost maybe 6lbs in the time I lost 4lbs but I think he's 'doing it wrong'. He's big into Slimfast drinks as meal replacements and a bought salad for lunch (he will have checked the calorific content- so it's not really usually Caesar, now he knows more about such things!). It's not enough calories, imho. He also weighs every single day!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 22-Jan-13 17:18:19

My parents are doing 5:2, and now that they've got into it find it pretty easy.

But their life is their own, they have very few commitments and demands on their time - so they are totally away from the problems of trying to fit meals in before/after work, activities and so on.

They never fast at the weekend, and if social constraints mean that they can only fit one day in for a week then they don't stress about it.

They have both lost about 10lbs, but the amazing thing is the stomach fat loss. Dad has dropped more than a trouser size, his clothes are hanging off him, and Mum has dropped a dress size.

Erebus Tue 22-Jan-13 19:07:36

Yes, having no outside commitments would to me be 'key' in 5:2- that and knowing how to eat 'normally' on the '5'.

I don't think the diet would work if you had completely lost control of reality, as it were, prior to dieting (what I mean is 'eat one 'naughty' diet busting biscuit, so then go on the eat the entire packet because 'you've blown it, haven't you?' thinking) eating 'abnormally'.

Best of luck to your parents, please update us on their progress!

Erebus - honestly, you'll have to take my word for it, you don't feel very hungry on 500 calories after a few days. That is the way it works - your appetite reduces because your stomach capacity reduces. It is well documented effect both in the books and from people who have tried it. I think Pauling works on the same sort of principle. If you eat less you need less.

The beauty of it is that you are ever only 24 hours away from eating whatever you like so you don't give into the whole I've eaten one biscuit I might as welll eat the packet thing because you can eat the the lot if you want, in less than a day's time. It is the same as Pauling in that respect, nothing is really out of bounds although you do have to delay a bit with 5:2 but if you can't wait for a few hours then you probably aren't in the right frame of mind to stop when you are full anyway so Pauling probably isn't going to be easy either.

I agree about not wanting to live longer if you are miserable. I think I said the same several days ago. I was doing Alternate Day, the forerunner to 5:2. 5:2 was the maintenance stage of the Alternate Day but that was when I started cheating and it all went to hell in a handcart. The really serious low cal zealots who do it as a lifestyle choice to increase longevity and improve health live off about 800 to 1,000 cals every day. It isn't for most people which is why the AD and 5:2 were invented I suspect. You don't have to cut out food groups or deny yourself every pleasure to get the same results albeit more slowly. The sort of person who can do 1000 cals indefinitely has a rare sort of focus I think and I don't think that sort of person is much interested in the social side of eating anyway - they are too self absorbed.

Ali- Your parent's loss is impressive, particularly losing the weigh around their middles. Did they take their blood pressure and cholesterol before they started? It would be interesting to know if they had changed too. I do agree that you have to be able to do your own thing with that WOE which is why I failed at it. Pauling suits me better......when I knuckle down to it. blush

Solo - if you get the chance to read this, I hope you are OK and work isn't too bad. smile

ppeatfruit Wed 23-Jan-13 09:22:33

Morning smile erebus My DH was on the Cambridge diet thing and when he came off it he put on MORE weight than ever! Those meal replacements are shxx has your DH read the ingredients????!!!!! IMO you can't live on those!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Wed 23-Jan-13 11:31:27

pp IMO that is the problem with all diets like that. Quick fixes with rapid weight loss but as soon as you stop it all piles back on!

I tried doing the Curves 'weight management' it's not a diet of course and you do a week at 1200 calories, 3 weeks at 1500 calories then a few days at 2000 calories until you start gaining and then start over. When I did 1500 I was miserable. The first time I low carbed on 1500 calories I had to go to bed at 8 because I had such a blinding headache. I would much rather Paul.

Weighed myself this morning, I am about 7lb heavier than when I got pregnant and at 27 weeks I am very happy with that! smile

Hope work is ok solo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now