Threads in this topic will auto-delete after 90 days.

I'd love to lose a stone...

(281 Posts)
daisydee43 Mon 31-Dec-12 13:59:58

Classic case: been dieting for 10 years on and off, have a hubby who is probably a little underweight, have a 8mth old who needs stuff to be mashed, and I'd love to lose a stone. Saw a picture of me at a wedding yesterday, after I'd lost my pregnancy weight (only put on 6lb), and I nearly cried, looked massive.

I'm 25, a size 12-14, 5 7, and 11 st 8lb so a little chubby. I work 3 days a week and work in retail gardening so run around a bit and do lots of lifting.

I'd like to know if there's anyone who's managed to lose that last bit and if there's any tips?

Thank you

Sweepsgirl Tue 01-Jan-13 10:44:27

I'm going to join u guys too... I am trialing a natural detox and weight loss system which guarantees 7-12lb weight loss in the 1st 9 days!I'm planning on starting in the next few days and i am really excited as heard great things!! I will update regularly on here as to my progress! Good luck everyone and happy 2013!!!

OOh can I join? I am 5'5" and weigh 12.7 stone. V annoying as just before Christmas I weighed 12.3 but I decided not to make an issue over calorie counting during the festive period! I would like to lose another 2.5 stone

I have lost 3 stone over the last 3 years (but also had a baby in that time) by calorie counting (I aim for 1500-1800 p/d) and I go to the gym/run 2-3 times a week. My method is to try and eat as much as possible for as few calories as possible grin My DH has also lost a similar amount of weight with no real exercise (other than 10 walk to work each day x2) and he eats the same crap/junk food just less of it (1800-2000 p/d).

The best thing for me has been to move away from ready meals to home cooked stuff as I can eat more for the same amount of calories and we have cut out having chunks of bread and cheese grated on every meal.

daisydee43 Tue 01-Jan-13 10:47:28

Dancing- with fitness pal you press HOME at the bottom and then ADD TO DIARY where you can press the barcode looking button and scan the item or search for the food. I mostly scan. Then press PROGRESS button to see your chart. It should prompt you to enter your weight once a day but you don't have to do it that often.

daisydee43 Tue 01-Jan-13 10:51:15

Anteena- yes that's what happened to me after pregnancy but was put on medication straight away, turns out I think it's too strong now but I will have to have more tests. It definitely makes losing weight more difficult but I've know people over come it

thebluenailbrush Tue 01-Jan-13 11:11:58

Hi,
i'd like to join. i want to lose around a stone- defo no more and need to tone up.

I'm hoping that eating smaller portions, cutting back on so much fat i.e the bad habit i've got into of slathering butter on most things and eating less bad snacks- ideally eating no snacks as i truly believe snacking is not needed unless you need some energy pre /post working out.

Also want to start exercising again- run 3 times a week and follow that up with a few upper body exercises.

I'm ok with it being a small weight loss weekly. 1 pound pw would be fine. i find mindful eating very helpful.

I didn't weigh in today and am having celebration meal this evening so will start tomorrow? Mindful eating doesn't mean cutting out every treat so i don't need to worry about the 2 boxes of chocolates still here from Christmas.

count me in as of tomorrow! (we Glaswegians have to have our big steak pie dinner for Ne'erday). I had a gastric bypass 5 yrs ago and went from about 22 stone to 12 st 9lb. After having my 2nd baby in 2010 tho I started to regain and am now at 15st 9lb. Need to take it in hand now before I end up back where I started!

MABS Tue 01-Jan-13 12:45:57

started a very similar thread yesterday! i'm in too

CooEeeEldridge Tue 01-Jan-13 12:55:32

Can I join too please? I did the half stone by Christmas one, and found thinking if the thread really helped me resist temptations! I'm 5'7 and weigh 10st 10, I'd like to get to 10st, or just under. I've put it on in the past year due to joining a new gym with rubbish classes, I've found a new one and an back into attack / combat / pump so I'm hoping that will help.

My problem is sweet stuff though, I just can't resist!! It frustrates me as I KNOW if I could resist the weight would drop off. My meals are generally healthy, it's just chocolate!!!

daisydee43 Tue 01-Jan-13 12:59:43

What is everyone's motivation? Mine is the fact I have to wear shorts at work in the summer sad been getting away with jeans the last few years but it gets so hot. Also, nothing fits me nice, I have bits sticking out

CooEeeEldridge Tue 01-Jan-13 13:14:22

With you on clothes daisy, I have loads of clothes I either don't wear now or do but am conscious they don't look great, a little effort and I'll have pretty much a new wardrobe!

DancingInTheMoonlight Tue 01-Jan-13 13:19:03

My motivation is that I'm 30 at the end of Feb and want to look nice rather than frumpy. I'm back to being in between sizes and all my weight seems to sit on my tummy :-(

I don't actually have anything planned yet but just to feel good and comfortable in my own skin and in any photos would be great

thebluenailbrush Tue 01-Jan-13 13:22:20

Exercise: my main motivation is health- specifically :exercise lowers risk of heart disease and strokes . i'm in my mid 40s now and to stave off a worsening body shape i HAVE to start doing something now .I also want to have a fit old age. I walk a lot but need to start doing than just that.

Weight loss/ changed body shape : ditto what daisy said, clothes are a bit tight, lumps and bumps. Also i have a slightly chubby face, worse in photos- just seen some from Christmas day where i look awful.

I bought some new jeans in the summer that were very tight and i was going to slim into them- no way was i getting a size up, anyway they are still very tight- they do up but are too tight to wear, so I am aiming to get comfortably into them within 3 months.

daisy shorts to work! Poor you!

thebluenailbrush Tue 01-Jan-13 13:25:32

dancing and CooEee am with you both on the clothes thing. Have so many lovely things i no longer wear but for the want of losing a smallish amount of weight.

Also feel frumpy and middle aged- well i am middle aged but there's no need to look frumpy. Getting my Mojo back would be fab.

Bazinga12 Tue 01-Jan-13 13:54:02

My motivation is to try and look nice for my wedding anniversary in March. I was 4 months pregnant when I got married last year (strumpet), so didn't look how I'd envisioned myself in my wedding dress. So thought I'd at least try and look a bit better for our first night out after baby.

Def with you all on the clothes thing. I stupidly threw out all my size 12-14 clothes when I lost weight about a year ago. Can't bring myself to invest in clothes when I don't want to be this weight. As such I'm still wearing maternity clothes and leggings blush

Matildaduck Tue 01-Jan-13 14:04:03

Ok so i'm 9 stone exactly, i'm 5.5" but i have a tiny frame.

I'm lighter than i expected but much less toned than ever before. I'm guessing my loss of muscle is making me lighter.

My ideal is about 8 1/2 stone so maybe not a whole stone to loose but i have a band of mush around my middle which will not be easy to shift.

kiwigirl42 Tue 01-Jan-13 14:20:13

I'd love to join you. Having a hysterectomy sometime in February and would love to lose some weight before then.
I'm going to do alternate day fasting (see the 5:2 threads already going for much better information than I can give). I starting doing it before and found it easier than calorie counting (gave up due to being sick and laziness)

hurryup Tue 01-Jan-13 14:24:12

Can I join to please? Have at least a stone of flab to lose. I'm 41 going on 61

daisydee43 Tue 01-Jan-13 14:31:21

Welcome along! Anymore weigh ins yet?

thebluenailbrush Tue 01-Jan-13 14:35:34

i shall be brave and weigh in tomorrow!

hurryup Tue 01-Jan-13 14:45:18

Will weigh in tomorrow morning. Has anyone tried the 5:2 diet? I have no excuse now as since yesterday Im a sahm and in a week all 8dc will be back at school 9-3 and 3 horses to exercise each day and dogs to walk. My problem is food and drink. I need to cut out snacking, worst is around 4-8pm, also too much caffeine and alcohol.

MOSagain Tue 01-Jan-13 15:50:33

8 DC? dear god! No wonder you drink wink
Weighed myself this morning and then went for a 6 mile walk to try to get me off to a good start. I'm hoping to lose 2 stone before I go on a charity trek in May. I know I've taken on far too much and it will be a HUGE challenge but I'm going to focus on the fact that it is for charity and hope that will make me stick to my diet.

Another incentive is that DH has just booked a holiday to Egypt in 6 weeks shock Am hoping I can lose a stone by then so I don't look too much like Shamu by the swimming pool

outtolunchagain Tue 01-Jan-13 15:51:59

Have weighed today at 12 st 1.5 lbs ,am going to use mfp , used it last year quite successfully, just got to stick with it .If anyone wants s friend on there I am mrswoodentop

daisydee43 Tue 01-Jan-13 16:01:48

Great to hear everyone has made a positive start. I have been weighing/measuring to get the right portion size on fitness pal otherwise I feel you can go over by a lot. Measured out 100ml milk for cereal this morning and was shocked to see how little I got but that's what I'm going to continue with!

mrsbjunior Tue 01-Jan-13 16:12:47

Hi all - could I join you happy motivated bunch. 5ft 7inches and 12stone 2lbs. Got down to 12 2 before Xmas. Am going to start the 5:2 diet tomorrow - DH and I have choccies and wine to finish tonight!
Dry January from tomorrow as well.
Will probably use Wednesday as my weigh in day

Going on holiday in Feb and would love to lose as much as possible before then

Good luck

MOSagain Tue 01-Jan-13 16:41:38

blush 12.10

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now