New Year Low Carb Bootcamp

(1001 Posts)
BIWIshYouAMerryChristmas Sat 29-Dec-12 21:30:12

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas, and that Santa brought you everything that you deserved! grin

By now, I'm guessing that many of us will be rather tired of chocolates and stodgy food. Mince pie anyone? wink

So. The next low carb Bootcamp will be starting on 7 January. It will run for 10 weeks, which will take us to mid-March. The idea of Bootcamp is that we have an initial strict fortnight, which will see a significant amount of weight loss, followed by a more relaxed 8 weeks.

Overall, if you follow the rules, you can expect to lose anything up to 20lbs in this time period.

So who is in?

If you want to join us, add your name to the list and tell us what your aims/objectives are.

I will start ...

borninastorm Mon 31-Dec-12 23:04:13

Just been diagnosed with Insulin Resistance so I'll be starting low gi in mid jan (after second round of blood tests and docs advice) can I still join if I'm doing low gi rather than full on low carb?

Ive got about 3 stone to lose (approx).

Cos it's insulin resistance I'll also be starting an exercise program. Hoping the pounds fall off smile

GinotPrigio Mon 31-Dec-12 23:16:09

Oh god, I've just munched my way through a whole large packet of Kettle chips. I am actually looking forward to getting on the low carb wagon tomorrow.

ArfaPandaTreacle - it's definitely worth checking out your local butcher for cheaper cuts of meat. I find the supermarkets don't stock so many of the cheaper cuts. I bought 900g of shin beef the other day which I used to slow cook a beef bourguigon and was enough to feed 5 adults. Cost only £5.50. Bargain!

mumat39 Mon 31-Dec-12 23:46:05

Happy new year every one. Lets hope 2013 is a fantastic year for us all.

BIWI, thanks so much for starting this thread. And Wiggle, thanks for the spreadsheet.

I'm nervous about starting but I don't want another year of feeling rubbish and never finding things to wear.

Lots of love to everyone. Xxxxx

Here's to a slimmer, healthier, happier 2013 for us all!! <raises glass, hic>

GinotPrigio Tue 01-Jan-13 00:49:41

I'll drink to that! wine

borninastorm low GI is by my understanding quite different from low carbing. I'll try and find a link to an extract from something I read recently...

teeb I find eating out generally easy - I always choose a salad or meat/fish and ask to swap the chips for salad.

arf I think that amount of tomato is fine - I use that in mine and it is fine.

borninastorm here.

borninastorm Tue 01-Jan-13 02:24:39

Thanks mrspoirot
guess I'll have to find a low gi group to tag onto

timidviper Tue 01-Jan-13 02:43:56

I have just consumed my own weight (which we all know is a stupendously large amount!) of champagne cocktails.

Had friends round for NY and everybody brought champagne and even a magnum! Made a cointreau and cranberry mix to go with it - yum! I will clamber back on the wagon soon I promise!

FellatioNelson Tue 01-Jan-13 03:57:51

I got through NYE without imbibing a single drop of alcohol. <smug>

I've been Lcing (sort of) for two days now, but I haven't been going hellbent for leather. Today I shall start proper.

Lavenderhoney Tue 01-Jan-13 05:00:32

Thanks for adding me to the list- I'm on an iPad and can't really do anything fancysmile
Drank way to much champagne and pink champagne then dh made me a full English breakfast which I ate in bedsmile so I will start on the 7th too, although I am going to cut down. I have bought some green tea for mornings instead of coffee so am fully expecting to be nasty for a week- is it a week or will it be less? And what can I do to help stop the comedown and bad temper???
Normally I have coffee and tea first thing then just water for the rest of the day, and a glass or two of wine at night.

Biwi
MulledwineGless
ScillyCow
ILoveOnionRings
thenightsky
Yddraigoldragon
AuntieMaggie
HumphreyCobbler
HugAndRoll
Teeb
ArfAPandaTreacle
SilverBaubles33
LightHousekeeping
Singingtunelessly
ZakuroFujiwara
ZzzenAgain
NewStartSameStory
Becstarlightstarbright
SavoirFaire
CooCoolite
TheSloppelganger
Gloriafloria
timidviper
Fadqueen
Cocolepew
Colette
ToomuchJanuaryNametobedecided
Mumat39
anewdispensation
Bessie123
Dickiedavisthunderthighs
EwanHoozami
Doshusallie
RatherBeOnThePiste
sybilfaulty
MrsHerculePoirot
Ilovemyteddy
TheHumancatapult
CordeliaChase
Brainstorm
Christmasknackers
BistoBear
makingchanges
GreenyEyes
JenaiMarr
Boobz
Ginot Prigio
hurricanewyn
NoveltySlippers
NigellasGuest
CathyandClaire
FuryDogMother
thisisthestory
Lastyearsmodel
jan2013
WillieWaggledagge
vnmum
willowisp
willowispsmama
JACAQUEEN
Gilbertwasthebestcat
PromQueenWithin
Froufroulala
SkaffenAmtiskaw
WomenandChickensFirst
sparkly peach
Lavenderhoney
NellVarnish
TheAccidentalExhibitionist
Frenchfries22
HavingAnOffDay
coldethyl
CaramelWaffle
CJCregg
HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey
halfthesize
GuyMartinsSideburns
Pinot
Rooobs
Thekitchenfairy

Ooooh ive only just found this thread... im in, If I am not too late to join... Was trying to do this before Xmas, but really struggled, esp with breakfast. Dread to think what the scales will say...

ArfAPandaTreacle Tue 01-Jan-13 09:19:25

Happy new year!

Day 2 for me. I remember carb flu (Im not there yet) but Id forgotten that week long feeling of exhausted leg muscles, you get. Like Ive being doing the Shred allllllll day.

So glad I can drive!

hurricanewyn Tue 01-Jan-13 09:19:30

Lavender I found that lots of water & paracetemol helped first time round. That and time, really.

I'm back on the wagon - not so much as a sniff of wine last night & bacon ands for breakfast

hurricanewyn Tue 01-Jan-13 09:20:42

Bacon and eggs for breakfast

coldethyl Tue 01-Jan-13 09:31:32

Oops. Fell off the wagon a bit - cava yesterday led to Christmas cake, rotten night with the DCs led to brioche for breakfast. Beginning again with glass of water and no carbs for lunch now the pastries are gone!

coolkat Tue 01-Jan-13 09:37:51

Going to try this from a distance as unsure of how successful so will lurk if that's ok. Lunches for work are what I will struggle with - usually cup a soup rice cakes, Philly and ham.....

Never have breakfast so could do some boiled eggs , it's snacking I need to sort but that's the same on any diet!

I don't eat bread anyway and try to steer clear of pasta cause of bloating but I always buy low fat stuff so that's a habit I need to break. blush

coolkat Tue 01-Jan-13 09:41:53

Ps not how successful it is! No doubt it is a good way of eating but don't know if I will manage it!

NoGoodAtHousework Tue 01-Jan-13 09:58:26

I'm in but can't add to the list as on my phone. About 16st nee to lose around 3 stone but will be happy with at least 1!! DP is starting a very strict low GI (bodybuilding type) today so I'm half way there with the support!

MulledwineGless Tue 01-Jan-13 10:18:56

Low potassium can cause problems Arf and give symptoms such as you are describing
I have a cup of bovril which helps. You can add lo salt to food which has potassium in or eat more foods which have it in. Others have tried rehydration drinks and reported success

Happy New Year everyone smile Well I had a glass of wine last night and was in bed by 11 blush I went for a run this morning (havent ran for yonks - Im awful at running for a while, then stopping, then trying again a few months weeks later etc etc Hence I get nowhere!)

Im 5ft 3" and 9st 4lb, and any extra weight I carry seems to go to my thighs first of all and Id say this is the area I want to sort most of all. I should get back on the 30 day shred, because I loved how awesome and strong my arms started to look. Maybe I'll start that on the 7th...... grin

Lets make this year OUR year!

MulledwineGless Tue 01-Jan-13 10:22:23

Waves to hurricanewyn! Well done on no alcohol.
I got home for the bells and has 2 glasses of champagne and 2 glasses of wine.
DH had lovingly prepared a mini Indian banquet for me- all full of carbs.
I feel dreadful this morning with stomach cramps

Can't wait to be back on it today

Mudwiggle Tue 01-Jan-13 10:26:18

Biwi
MulledwineGless
ScillyCow
ILoveOnionRings
thenightsky
Yddraigoldragon
AuntieMaggie
HumphreyCobbler
HugAndRoll
Teeb
ArfAPandaTreacle
SilverBaubles33
LightHousekeeping
Singingtunelessly
ZakuroFujiwara
ZzzenAgain
NewStartSameStory
Becstarlightstarbright
SavoirFaire
CooCoolite
TheSloppelganger
Gloriafloria
timidviper
Fadqueen
Cocolepew
Colette
ToomuchJanuaryNametobedecided
Mumat39
anewdispensation
Bessie123
Dickiedavisthunderthighs
EwanHoozami
Doshusallie
RatherBeOnThePiste
sybilfaulty
MrsHerculePoirot
Ilovemyteddy
TheHumancatapult
CordeliaChase
Brainstorm
Christmasknackers
BistoBear
makingchanges
GreenyEyes
JenaiMarr
Boobz
Ginot Prigio
hurricanewyn
NoveltySlippers
NigellasGuest
CathyandClaire
FuryDogMother
thisisthestory
Lastyearsmodel
jan2013
WillieWaggledagge
vnmum
willowisp
willowispsmama
JACAQUEEN
Gilbertwasthebestcat
PromQueenWithin
Froufroulala
SkaffenAmtiskaw
WomenandChickensFirst
sparkly peach
Lavenderhoney
NellVarnish
TheAccidentalExhibitionist
Frenchfries22
HavingAnOffDay
coldethyl
CaramelWaffle
CJCregg
HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey
halfthesize
GuyMartinsSideburns
Pinot
Rooobs
Thekitchenfairy
Mudwiggle

Been lurking and planning to join on 7th/8th. However got on scales this morning and was shocked to see 13st3lb. I'm 5'3'' FFS. I have put on over three stone in less than a year. So I am starting immediately. Will start shredding and couch to 5k next week once I'm into the swing of this.

Happy New Year everyone!

Pinot Tue 01-Jan-13 10:42:59

'ello coco, lovely one <smooch>

Happy New Year everybody - this is the year we all get lithe and lush grin

BIWI, oh guru one, I need to eat one portion of gluten a day until I have my endoscopy in Feb. Can I still do the LC and eat gluten? (having treatment to establish coeliac or gluten intolerance...)

GinotPrigio Tue 01-Jan-13 10:44:11

Happy New Year everyone!

Starting today with a couple of boiled eggs for breakfast. Have a massive leg of goat to roast later with some veg but no potatoes.

I am actually sick of the sight of bread, crisps and chocolate now so excited to get stuck into this WOE.

This thread is not accepting new messages.