Sugar addicts - Going cold turkey!

(36 Posts)
Snowkey Fri 28-Dec-12 12:44:24

Anyone else doing this now the season of chocolate feasting is almost over? I have been gradually eating more and more on a daily basis and I don't seen to be able to resist, one bar is never enough!

In the past I have gone cold turkey, which was tough initially but then I just stop being tempted by sugary treats on a daily basis - then I got smug and thought I was in control and one little square of chocolate wouldn't hurt and here I am back in sugary hell.

Would anyone like to join me in my sugar detox - I'm on day 3 but there is still many sweet treats calling to me in every cupboard, I fear I am still feeling weak but I'm trying to just take one day at a time.

Snowkey Wed 09-Jan-13 23:50:35

A more structured approach might be better. I'm impressed by how little sugar you consumed, square of choc and a few sweets is almost angelic, well done!

Still cold turkey and managing to resist most temptations, have been eating greek yoghurt and berries sweetened with Truvia, I may knock that on the head..... it's too much like a pudding. Have lost 3lb this week, probably water but my stomach feels flatter which is always welcome.

PinkCustard Wed 09-Jan-13 11:53:39

I don't actually drink any tea or coffee but have a daily (or sometimes 2) glasses of Pepsi Max which I know is full of crap so am giving it up.

My headache etc was definitely due to sugar withdrawal though as I caved and had a piece of white chocolate and a couple of chewy sweets and it went and my mood instantly improved. This just proves to me that I do have a problem with sugar! I'm re-reading Potatoes Not Prozac and am going to follow her advice and 7-step plan as I have tried and failed to go cold turkey with sugary foods on numerous occasions. Step 1 is to have 3 meals a day with some protein in them - I often skip meals (particularly breakfast) so this is a good starting point for me I think. Will also do more reading around low carbing.

How is your cold turkey going?

Snowkey Tue 08-Jan-13 16:50:23

Maybe you're coming down with something pinkcustard Hope you feel better soon.

I don't want to give up my morning coffee, it's one of life's little pleasures - I don't think caffeine is too bad for you, maybe in excess.....how many coffees do you normally have? I drink water, decaf tea and liquorice tea throughout the day.

Sometimes giving up alcohol can give you a headache too.

The low carb stuff is a big leap of faith, you really need to read up on the science behind it - I did, I was convinced and it did help with sugar cravings but I also need a bit more flexibility long term and long term it's refined sugar that I seem incapable of resisting.

Made Rocky Road for the dcs today out of melted down Christmas chocs, I didn't feel remotely tempted to taste it because I am only one bite away from eating the whole tray and then feeling very ill.

PinkCustard Tue 08-Jan-13 15:04:31

Feeling awful - banging headache and feel sick and weak, despite a healthy and filling lunch. Not sure I can sustain going cold turkey - just reading through the 7 steps contained in Potatoes not Prozac and wondering if that's a more realistic way for me to go...anyone followed them successfully?

PinkCustard Tue 08-Jan-13 11:30:58

That sounds hopeful then snowkey. I stuck to no caffeine and no alcohol yesterday - but did have some chocolate and some processed food (tin of soup) due to the fact that I had no suitable food in and couldn't get out to the shops. So I'm starting properly today - James Duigan's method basically equates to no CRAP (C=caffeine, R=refined sugar, A=alcohol, P=processed food). Already have a headache (caffeine withdrawal?) but am drinking lots of water.

Might take a look at the low carbers' thread. As I'm doing this purely for health reasons though I can't quite get my head around whether low carbing is actually healthy..? I'm reading lots of stuff saying that saturated fat isn't really bad afterall, but is eating lots of animal products actually good for you? And how can fruit be bad?

Snowkey Sun 06-Jan-13 22:55:49

Good luck -pinkcustard I'm sure you can do it, but you're right it's the first couple of days that are the worst. I just thought about getting though one day, tried not to focus on the future, that's how I kicked the smokes.
Have just bought some supplements which are supposed to help with cravings - sugar and alcohol (which I have also kicked for January only) L Glutamine and chromium, I suspect I'm over the worst now though, dh and the dcs had some lovely homemade chocs from Christmas this afternoon and I wasn't even tempted.

PinkCustard Sun 06-Jan-13 22:33:43

I'm nervously going to attempt to clean up my diet, including ditching sugar. This is a massive thing for me as I currently rely heavily on sweet snacks and convenience food blush. I don't need to lose weight but instead am very aware that my current diet is incredibly unhealthy and I've also been TTC for a long time with no luck (apart from 2 mcs) so also feel that improving my health through diet may help in that department too.

I have dug out a copy of James Duigan's Clean & Lean book, which seems to be a good place to start - but I just know it's going to be a struggle and a shock to my system! We also have mountains of chocolate and sweets we've been given for Christmas, but might just give it away to colleagues etc to get rid.

I'm going to read though the book and then get organised, as it's going to require a complete change to my usual shopping & cooking. In the meantime I've given up alcohol and my daily Pepsi Max, and will be passing on my usual biscuits, chocolate and cakey snacks. I'll report back once I'm properly underway...!

Xenia Fri 04-Jan-13 13:15:29

The Big Sugar films on youtube are worth watching and there was a good progrmame - Addicted to Pleasure about sugar and how it came to the UK etc BBC Scotland but I don't think it's still on iplayer.

You can certainly get most of your carbs from veg or all but for most people giving up the chocolates, sugar etc is the key. Also cacao - which is either 100% or in 85% chocolate is like speed, amphetamine and does act on similar bits of the brain to sugar so if you do have addictive tendencies it may be best not to prime the pump even with 85% chocolate. It can for some be like giving alcoholics one small drink or drug addicts a little bit of heroin.

Snowkey Thu 03-Jan-13 15:30:18

Still sugar free - put a tsp of honey in a salad last night, but it was a salad for 6 people, so feel that was a reasonable addition.

Long term I want to be able to eat sweet veg, like onions and butternut squash, the occasional sweetcorn when in season. But also have cheese with maybe flax crackers and the very odd bowl of oats.

I did Biwi's bootcamp last year it worked but it was too restrictive in the long term for my foodie tendencies, so I ended up falling off the wagon, that's why I want to go back to something that is reduced carbs....maybe aiming for below 100g a day.

Binned some chocs today...not sure what to do with the rest....might make rocky road for the dc's lunch box....they'll be on a more reduced sugar diet too but we'll be moving towards that more gradually.

3lbs on over Xmas period, maybe more depending on when I weighed last, hopefully it will disappear in the next few weeks. How's everyone else getting on with the battle against the pure, white and deadly sugar?

SCOTCHandWRY Thu 03-Jan-13 15:01:21

Yes ANOTHERTIREDMUM, low carb for 7years, initially Atkins but I have evolved towards Paleo as my understanding of the biochemistry behind our responses to different foods has increased (hence no milk or grains any more).

Low carb diets are all high protein/fat in comparison to the "healthy" carb heavy foods we are advised to eat!

anothertiredmum Tue 01-Jan-13 22:20:28

Hi Scotch. I will have a look at your link. Thanks. Is what you have been doing for 7 years, a low carb diet?

What I meant was unhealthy is the like of Ducan or Atkins where you eat low carb but high protein.

SCOTCHandWRY Tue 01-Jan-13 21:46:17

smile I do have the occasional small potato/sweet potato and Manuka honey (rare treat) and 2 squares 85% choc a day... not as hardcore as many but <100g total carbs a day (mostly from veg) and <50g on many days. At that level it is very sustainable long term (7 years now).

No milk, no grains other than rare portion of white rice.

Snowkey Tue 01-Jan-13 21:34:45

I think eliminating sugar will massively lower my carb intake anyway. smile Agree that wheat isn't great but I'm going to continue eating small portions of brown rice and starchy veg.

SCOTCHandWRY Tue 01-Jan-13 21:30:41

ANOTHERTIREDMUM, the point is, what we are being TOLD is a healthy diet, is not healthy!
Also, sugar=carb=sugar too many people don't realise ALL carbohydrates are sugar, it doesn't matter much if its sucrose or potato or rice, the total average daily carb consumption and the number of hours per day the blood sugar is elevated above their natural baseline has a big impact on long term health. The more carbs you eat, and the more often you eat them, the higher the risks to your health. This link is a "starter", if you are interested, there is plenty of info out there.

www.drbriffa.com/2007/01/05/carbohydrate-not-fat-consumption-is-linked-with-increased-risk-of-metabolic-syndrome/

The most interesting part in this particular article is this bit -
In this study, a high-carbohydrate diet was defined as one in which more than 57 per cent of calories come from carbohydrate. It should perhaps be noted that we are very often encouraged to ensure that 60 per cent or more of our calories are carb-based.

Snowkey Tue 01-Jan-13 20:35:50

The think its hard staying off sugar though...I can get my savoury fix very easily using low carb recipes but the sugar thing is tricky and there is so much lovely chocolate in the cupboard. I'm considering making myself a total yogurt with berries, seeds and vanilla but I'm sure it's the wrong approach, I'm trying to plug a craving...a feeling of boredom...a habit. Will have a cup of liquorice tea, see if that helps take my mind off eating.

anothertiredmum Tue 01-Jan-13 20:29:04

Low card is not a very healthy option anyway. My sugar addiction is not healthy and as a new mum, I need to be a good role model to my daughter and eat healthy food. I think Patrick Holford's plan makes sense and I will try to get to grip with it, but stopping sugar should already make a difference to my health and my moods in the meantime.

SCOTCHandWRY Tue 01-Jan-13 19:17:01

I've just taken issue with someone on another thread who claims we say that low carb 'works every time' (ie, we have to do it multiple times cos as soon as we stop, it stops working) - well yeah, name a diet that works when you're not on it? My evangelical gene is throbbing a bit, so am trying to restrain myself

Exactly so... most things only work when you actually do them! grin. Go back to eating big piles of carb every day, and of course the weight/health issues will come right back.

anothertiredmum Tue 01-Jan-13 17:38:47

I am in. I have a 10 week old baby and I have been eating sugar for the past 10 months.... so much chocolate and biscuits every day. So, I shall not have any sugar for now. I will see about carb a bit later, one step at a time or I know I won't make it. I will explore Patrick Holford plan too as it is supposed to regulate your blood sugar. I have also decided not to weight myself and see when I feel better rather than having it dictated by the scales.

Snowkey Tue 01-Jan-13 11:06:01

Bugger! I fell into a vat of sugar last night at a New Years Eve bash...never mind clean slate today. Alcohol free, sugar free....for January at least!

Chottie Mon 31-Dec-12 20:28:14

I've been eating a lot of yummy high quality chocolate over Christmas and now I am wearing it sad I need to get out of the habit of eating chocolate and sweeties and biscuits. Sugar is very addictive...... and it rots your teeth.

LeftMe I am in with you. We were out all day so I have not eaten anything sweet today either.

LeftMeInSuspenders Mon 31-Dec-12 19:59:07

Yes I started today.

No chocolate or fizzy drinks.

My addiction to chocolate is my own personal hell!

Am climbing onto the currently unoccupied soapbox...

I totally agree that it's about health, rather than appearance. I'm 53 now (how did THAT happen?) and am not about to pour myself into something small and slinky - but I would rather like to avoid type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease etc. The cosmetic side of weight loss via low carb is an added bonus, as far as I'm concerned, but not the main motivating factor.

I've just taken issue with someone on another thread who claims we say that low carb 'works every time' (ie, we have to do it multiple times cos as soon as we stop, it stops working) - well yeah, name a diet that works when you're not on it? My evangelical gene is throbbing a bit, so am trying to restrain myself smile

The (carb free) vodka probably isn't helping.

Handing the soapbox back now...

SCOTCHandWRY Mon 31-Dec-12 08:50:59

FURRYDOG, I'm another who struggles with the evangelical low carb thingy grin, I just want to get the message out their but realise most people are not ready to accept the modern western diet is killing us all... it's just too big a change for most people (especially if you think grain foods are the root of our problems like I do... see, I'm extra crazy evangelical grin).

I lost a LOT of weight, but it's about health, long term health now for me... you don't have to be fat, it doesn't matter what your BMI is, you could be underweight and at risk of many diseases related to metabolic syndrome/disordered insulin metabolism, if your diet is high carb (at the levels we are now advised to eat for our "health"!).

I shall step down off my soap box now.

Snowkey Sun 30-Dec-12 20:08:47

Furry I've done low carb, I've done ketosis, I've read all the books and it did kill my sugar cravings. I don't want the restriction of low carb long term. Only cutting out refined sugar may not work for me but I need to give it a shot, I need to know how far can push it. I have a BMI of 21, so I don't need to lose weight I just need to get to grips with my sugar issues - which tbh got a lot worse when I fell off the low carb wagon and lost all ability to control intake, I am ready to stop now and it seems to be working - will give it a month and if the craving don't go I'll return to low carbing.

Thing is, the longer you resist sweet stuff, the less you want it. If you keep trickle-feeding sugar into your system, you're never going to lose the craving, nor be fully satisfied, because you're restricting your natural desire to have more of it, and therefore feeling deprived. If you just stop eating it, you'll have a bad week, or maybe two - but after that, you'll be freed from that constant craving. THAT is the advantage of a low carb diet - but you can't 'half do' it - it's not like calorie restriction where you can have an up day and a down day - it's about becoming keto-adapted, and using the advantages of that (reduced appetite, fewer cravings etc.). Ack I could go on (could write a book at this point!) - but I can feel my evangelical low carb thingie coming on, so had better shut up. Whichever way you choose to address your issues with sugar, I wish you the best of luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now