Can anyone recommend some really good scales?

(5 Posts)
FatOnTheInside Fri 28-Dec-12 11:57:38

I am after some scales that measure body fat percentage and are reliable. although my BMI is healthy, I have horrendous visceral fat which is worrying me a lot. Also, is there any point getting scales that measure muscle and hydration and other fancy things or is it all a bit gimmicky?
Tia

Snowkey Fri 28-Dec-12 12:45:37

How do you know you have horrendous visceral fat?

FatOnTheInside Fri 28-Dec-12 13:24:13

I am slim but with a pot belly. A Big one at that. It worries me because I am starting to look gaunt of face and have lost a fair amount of weight but it isn't shifting from the belly area at all.

Snowkey Fri 28-Dec-12 14:42:05

I think it's tough to break body shape issues - I have big thighs and I can't shift the fat that likes to cling there - waist is small though.

I think fat accumulation around the belly is an indication of laying down fat in the danger areas but it's not a definite.

Any body fat scales I've used have been pretty useless - my BMI is 20, I am fairly athletic - work out 5 times a week but hour glass in shape and they suggest my body fat percentage was average for the population - it's just not credible that my body fat is average. It might not be great from a health point of view but it can't be "average" maybe they mean average for someone of my weight but it wasn't clear.

FatOnTheInside Fri 28-Dec-12 14:53:25

Yes, that's the kind of problem I was worried about as they are quite pricey and I already have good normal scales. The body shape thing is definitely genetic, my sister weighs the same as me but has a flat stomach. Her problem area is thighs too. I'd be interested in knowing if my body fat % is good or bad but I don't want to waste money on unreliable scales.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now