New mummies with wibbly tummies.

(1000 Posts)
ValiumQueen Fri 28-Dec-12 08:59:27

All new mummies welcome. Any exercise and/or weight loss programme acceptable, so long as it is healthy.

INeedThatForkOff Sun 30-Dec-12 10:11:45

I'm trying to find a moment to try the Davina Intense DVD today (i'll be doing the lower impact version if there is one!) My boobs are like leaky melons though, and DS doesn't have much of an appetite this morning. This could hurt!

NanoNinja Sun 30-Dec-12 10:12:34

I know - six months is mad, right?! She was even a bit unwilling to agree swimming would be okay! It was elective, no problems at all and recovery good. I think it's because it take six weeks for the internal healing? And I'm not in the UK - doctors here tend to be quite conservative. So am going to take it easy on the abs work - it's not my problem area anyway - but not totally lay off.

NanoNinja Sun 30-Dec-12 10:13:09

Sorry - six months for internal healing .

Revelsarethebest Sun 30-Dec-12 10:57:00

Went to be weighed at slimming world today, lost 2 pounds.

Target feels along way away.

Its taken a month to get 9 pound off

Goatbongohohoandjinglejingle Sun 30-Dec-12 11:02:01

stunt that is extremely noble of you to clear your house! grin

applecrumple Sun 30-Dec-12 11:06:12

Ooh can I join please? My dd is 16 weeks tomorrow & I've gone up from a size 10 pre preg to a size 14. Am ebf & have given up dairy for dd's reflux - will also be giving up wheat & soy tomorrow. Exercise plan will be walking - about an hr most days & -if I can get dd to nap in her pram instead of on me- a Pilates DVD. Hopefully this thread will give me the encouragement I need grin

ValiumQueen Sun 30-Dec-12 11:15:04

There are 43 of us here so far. That has got to help knowing none of us are alone. Hopefully we can share recipes and tips.

Each time I have lost a significant amount of weight I have got pregnant. Thankfully I know for a fact that will not happen again. I bet there will be a few here who will though.

Twobuttonsaway Sun 30-Dec-12 11:44:30

Hi VQ, can I be no 44. Have 2 stone to shift, 1 from DS2 aged 11 weeks and the other from DS1 aged 4 years shock

Am Ebf and have noticed that DS2 gets very fussy if I don't eat well so planning to cut out the choc/cakes etc and do some exercise!!

Prolificmincepiebreeder Sun 30-Dec-12 12:11:42

I need to sort a good breakfast out, I'm sure I don't snack as much. I just need to be rid of all these boxes of chocolates!
I was toying with the idea of slimming world or weight watchers. I'm not sure.

INeedThatForkOff Sun 30-Dec-12 12:18:01

Well done Revels, that's going some over Christmas - I will have gained at least that!

Davina DVD done - according to HRM it burned 469 cals, and I forgot to switch on until after the warm up. I modified it by slowing down but did more than Jackie's low impact version.

ValiumQueen Sun 30-Dec-12 12:27:10

Welcome No44 grin

It seems to me that those with the least amount of weight to lose are people who have stated they 'do not diet'. I am sure there is a parallel there. Us with more weight to lose and perhaps a less healthy attitude to food, who diet, are scoffing our faces getting rid of the bad stuff. I have decided I am not doing slimming world as I will eat 12 chickens or 3 lorry loads of pasta plus my weight on muller lights on a daily basis. I will aim to feed myself how I would feed someone else with a weight issue. Healthily, interesting, variety, occasional treats etc. I will try to listen to my appetite. I will also increase my exercise but not overdo things. I will also not buy low fat versions as I just end up eating twice as much. Appetite and portion control need working on. Also I will not have more energy if I eat that cake. I will have more energy if I eat clean.

ValiumQueen Sun 30-Dec-12 12:28:32

fork really? That seems an awful lot? Is the DVD 6 hours long?

INeedThatForkOff Sun 30-Dec-12 12:31:34

No, I monitored 1hr, 2mins of it.

crazypaving Sun 30-Dec-12 12:42:34

hello may I lurk in trepidation? ds2 born 4th Oct but I still had weight to lose from ds1 (2.2)

am 1.5 stone heavier than I'd like to be, but since being pregnant with ds1 have completely lost all willpower. see treats as necessities to get me through the day rather than...er, treats. also have ongoing SPD which makes many forms of exercise challenging, oh and bugger all time to exercise!!

grin

however, am determined to stop being so wobbly. those with the shred DVD, does it involve loads of ab work? not sure how badly my stomach muscles have separated - can't find the buggers!!

Passmethecrisps Sun 30-Dec-12 12:47:31

I don't think dieting is very effective because it has to be short-term. Developing new habits is the only way to keep extra weight off. I hye hearing intelligent women talking about 'being good'.

When I lost my extra weight in my mid-twenties a colleague asked me how I had done it. My reply was "I stopped eating like a fat bastard". Harsh perhaps but I my case it was true - noone needs a snickers bar and a packet of crisps every single lunchtime.

However, I also know just how hard it is to develop new habits and biscuits just are easier to eat than an orange when you are feeding.

It is great to know that we are all in it together

Prolificmincepiebreeder Sun 30-Dec-12 13:16:04

That's what I would worry about vq actually eating more than I do now if I was on a proper diet. (I would cheat I think as well)
Well I've ordered my trainers!

Can't get hold of any scales at the moment, so I'll be measuring myself in a bit...can't wait to get back into my skinny jeans, they look so unloved at the back of the wardrobe...And all those lovely bras I bought about a month before I got pregnant, that no longer fit sad

I forgot to add, that I walk twice a day - we have a bouncy dog, so I have to walk her twice a day, I'm aiming for 30 minutes at least, hopefully longer, depending on the weather. Must use the baby sling more too!! I'm sure that'll burn more fat than pushing the buggy?

tearoomtrash Sun 30-Dec-12 15:06:58

Count me in too!

I have a 5 month old, but as yet haven't been ready to address the weight issue - January seemed like a good starting point.

I have bought scales but putting off stepping on them or calculating my BMI until Jan 1st. At a guess, I must have 2-3 stone to lose to get back to my previous weight and dress size (I fully indulged my appetite during pregnancy - kicking myself now!).

So I'll be back with the stats of doom on New Year's Day...

tearoomtrash Sun 30-Dec-12 15:34:10

Forgot to add...

My plan is to eat clean, and I'm tempted to order the Zumba DVD set (loved Zumba per pregnancy but can't find the time - or energy - to head out of an evening these days). Anyone got it/tried it? The reviews seem good...

I will also try to get out for a 30 min walk every day, with the little chunky monkey in a papoose. The fresh air will be good for her.

Oooo! And hubby has bought the hairy bikers diet book (very random!), in a bid to help me out - he's the chef in our house envy

Justtheonemore Sun 30-Dec-12 16:36:24

Well I've just ordered Jillian Michaels - The Collection. I'm determined, absolutely determined, to tone up as much as I possibly can and I'm told this is the way to do it. We shall see!

The best bit about it is the workouts are intensive, so relatively short (I'm sure it'll feel like hours) and therefore even with the 5DC (2 under 16months, hence the mahoosive weight gain <sigh>) I should be able to jam fit it into my daily routine.

At least that's the plan grin

GanglyGiraffe Sun 30-Dec-12 16:37:39

Hello, can I join?

DD is 9 weeks old and decided at the weekend that I want to shift my baby weight & tone up. I'm getting married in April and going on honeymoon shortly after and there is no way I'm wearing a bikini the way I am.

Pre DD I weighted about 9st and wore size 6. Currently 9.6st and a size 8/10. So not too bad I just need to step away from the Xmas chocs!

I want to go to the gym, but still not been for my 6 week check (I know!) so need to get that out the way first.

Mostly I just want to tone up, my legs, bum and stomach look horrible. Not feeling very confident atm sad

FjordMor Sun 30-Dec-12 17:07:30

Hi all - joining in after seeing VQ was doing this on another thread we're both on.

I've got a 12.5 week old - my first - delivered by EMCS. I had 5 extra stone on me after bereavement when I got pregnant and put on about 2 stone while pregnant. I want to lose 5 stone and get fit for my very active baby's toodlerhood.

I tend to eat very healthily but a bit too large portions and I live with a snacker so I'm challenged to change his habits too. Exercise makes the most difference to me - I like dancey/kick-boxy DVDs done at home. What's this 'shred'? Definitely sounds like I'll need to gain some fitness before trying as I was finding Davina a bit strenuous when I last stopped training.

I haven't had my 6 week post c-section check yet (& wont get it until I'm nearly 15 weeks) and have a LOT of muscular soreness above my scar & masses of back/hip pain so it's starting with walking & healthy eating for me in the new year until the docs give me the green light for for strenuous aerobic stuff. I've been almost totally sedentary since the birth with a difficult feeder so I guess that's enough to start with.

crazypaving Sun 30-Dec-12 17:23:27

Hi fjord!

how much space is needed to do the shred? I have a tiny living room!

You don't need much space for the shred - most of it is done on/in front of a yoga style mat.

crazypaving Sun 30-Dec-12 19:02:14

thanks, that's good to know. well that's one excuse down the drain wink

This thread is not accepting new messages.