Am starting low carb tomorrow, any tips? Am also stopping eating meat...

(10 Posts)
MistletoeAndMerryChristmas Wed 26-Dec-12 21:05:56

I've wanted to stop eating meat for a while, I just don't like it,

I'm a novice when it comes to low carb, i have done a LC diet before but it was a food replacement one so didn't have to prepare food at all.

Need to loose about 2.5 to 3 stone.

Am going to go running and do Jillian Micheals at night whilst DH is at the gym.

Any advice on meals or anything would be great.

MistletoeAndMerryChristmas Wed 26-Dec-12 21:55:18

smile

logitech56 Wed 26-Dec-12 22:00:06

what will you eat if you cut out meat and carbs? surely the idea of low carbing is to eat protein instead and that means chicken fish and meat.

MistletoeAndMerryChristmas Wed 26-Dec-12 22:03:49

I really dont eat meat at the moment, so I eat alot of bread, pasta and potatoes ... which is why im so fat.

but i honestly couldn't eat alot of meat, it makes me feel ill. i have it ocasionally but i dont enjoy it.

logitech56 Wed 26-Dec-12 22:17:37

what will you replace the bread pasta and other carbs with? veg? the protein in meat means you fill up and dont be hungry. veg alone wont do that at first.

thehurty Wed 26-Dec-12 22:29:04

I'm sort of in the same boat as you as I'm veggie and hoping to start getting lean so want to get more protein and less carbs.

I'm thinking lots of egg whites, quorn salads and quinoa as its high protein although a carb.

I'm going to watch this to see if you get any better responses than mine :D

Autumnalis Wed 26-Dec-12 22:46:50

Exercising late in the evening may give you trouble sleeping. Good luck with the health plan smile

Snowkey Wed 26-Dec-12 22:52:52

Think quinoa's percentage of protein content has been much exaggerated. It has a small percent of complete protein. Most veggie sourced protein requires combining with another to source for you to gain all the essential amino acids you need but you still need to ensure you are getting around 60g of complete protein - which ever way you find it.

Yddraigoldragon Wed 26-Dec-12 23:02:45

I am not sure that low carb and meat free works - happy to be corrected but it seems to be a recipe for such a restrictive diet that eating anything at all would be difficult.
Good luck with it OP.

dickiedavisthunderthighs Wed 26-Dec-12 23:07:34

I don't eat meat and have low carved with great success smile Try Rose Elliott's The Low Carb Vegetarian; it's my bible! She's a big advocate of tofu but I'm not a huge fan so eat plenty of quorn instead. It's a bit carbier but not enough to scupper any efforts. I've lost 2 stone with her book grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now