The Ongoing Low Carb Bootcamp - Final Festive Fortnight

(970 Posts)
BIWIshYouAMerryChristmas Mon 10-Dec-12 07:56:38

No spreadsheet to link to this week, as the LBD challenge is now over!

I don't know about anyone else, but I have definitely not had the greatest of weeks, and I'm keeping on keeping on until we get to Christmas.

Not quite sure yet what my own Christmas strategy is going to be, but I also guess it depends on where I've got to with my weight by then. I know that, having achieved my first major target of losing 2 stones, I still have more to go. So my next really major, very psychological target, will be to reach 9 stone. Something I have been trying (and failing) to do for the last 10 years! But now it seems so much more achieveable, especially with all you lot giving such brilliant support.

This week for me starts with a super strict day today. I'm out to dinner tomorrow, with a groups of ex colleagues, and venue is not yet chosen, but is likely to be a Chinese, which always brings its own problems. not to mention the wine

I'm also out to lunch on Friday, so it looks like Wednesday and Thursday will also have to be super strict!

Jacaqueen Tue 08-Jan-13 23:19:23

Oh no it wasn't me

Somebody has touched a blue box.

If I hadn't been done ready I'll change it back this morning. Don't worry though I'll be topping he list with my fatness. At least it's coming off - another 2 lbs this morning taking me to 6 lbs shock

I think I have changed it back - let me know though if I haven't!

barleywood Wed 09-Jan-13 07:40:02

Looks like it has changed smile

BlackAffronted Wed 09-Jan-13 07:42:21

Which thread are we using? Im confused sad

Blackaffronted this was the chat thread before Xmas. Those of us who were on it are just using it to keep in touch as the other thread is soooo fast moving!

captainmummy Wed 09-Jan-13 09:18:58

Well that's the birthday out of the way - I can bootcamp now, and right the terrible Thai wrongs from last night!
Started so well with chicken satay and peanut sauce, not too sweet. The prawn crackers and chili dip were dangerous, tho I got dp to eat most.(and managed to drop most the chilli sauce down my new top) Then I had soy-braised veg, and crispy-fried chili beef, which came looking as if it was almost candied! blush Had to leave some as I was really full/bloated. One vodka and slimline, and water for the rest of the meal. oh and a mouthfull of DPs eggfried rice

Dp has been low-carbing too, but yesterday had porridge, baked potato, eggfried rice and sesame toast. And a beer!!!!!

Jacaqueen Wed 09-Jan-13 09:37:41

Well it was your birthday captain. I think you did really well there.

However I think your husband had better hide from BIWI and her stick.

caramelwaffle Wed 09-Jan-13 10:07:00

captainmummy Did you tell him, or are you leaving it to the BigStick? grin

EwanHoozami Wed 09-Jan-13 10:10:47

I think I'm having an insulin response just reading that Thai menu captain it sounds bloody lovely grin

BIWI I was thinking about the TMI vs simplicity for getting info across to new starters and I do think you've got a good balance. Well-explained basic info on the thread with links to evidence-based sciencey resources if people want to get into it a bit deeper. I do think Briffa should be required reading though!

BigStickBIWI Wed 09-Jan-13 13:49:35

I agree. Actually, I think I should get commission for the number of times I recommend that book!

captain - hope you enjoyed last night. grin at your DP's 'low carbing'! Is he signed up to Bootcamp? If so, I shall run after him with my big stick.

Hello! Captain that sounds delish!

Horrible day today, a boy in the 6th form at the school where I teach went missing before christmas and his body was found yesterday in the river. So sad and I had a moment of thinking about eating something I shouldn't. Refrained though and remembered I had sugar free sweets and had a couple of those instead. I know it wasn't necessary, but sucking them gave me the time to talk myself out of anything else.

BIWI - I do agree you have the right balance. We need to keep an eye on the thread, I reckon you'll need to start a new one tonight sometime...

Doshusallie Wed 09-Jan-13 19:45:30

So sorry mrs HP, that is horrible. sad. Such a young life......

timidviper Wed 09-Jan-13 20:00:16

Sorry you had such horrid news MrsHP. Well done coping with it.

I had a good breakfast (thankfully) then got held up at work so got to 3.30 without eating then was confused about whether to wait for tea or what to have as a snack. Eventually I had an Atkins crispbread (it was truly vile!) with a scrape of peanut butter. Made up for it at tea, DH and DD had spicy mince with sour cream in tortillas, I had the same in a big iceberg lettuce leaf.

My colleagues at work have been laughing at me trying to drink all my water (I am still not getting near my 4.5L) They reckon if I lose weight it'll be from the exercise walking from my room to the water machine to the room to the loo, etc, etc!

BigStickBIWI Wed 09-Jan-13 20:09:28

Same here, timid - running and up and down the stairs all the time!

Oh MrsHP - thats so sad sad
At least he has been found and his family can lay him to rest now.
I hate when we have missings and you get a "feeling"about something bad.
But WELL DONE YOU! A few months ago you would have comforted yourself with a hell of a lot more than sugar free sweets wouldn't you?

Viper - how did you make the spicy mince? Thats sounds nice

Yes Gless I would have done! Definitely better that we know, I think on some level it was known, they didn't seem to be much 'effort' (for want of a better word) to find him, spread the word etc... and the circumstances of when and where he was last seen sort of suggested the outcome if you know what I mean.

Viper, yes share the spicy mince that sounds delish! I have also been peeing for England and being a teacher that means every 50 minutes on the dot!!!

timidviper Thu 10-Jan-13 00:17:21

Mince was browned in a bit of oil with shallot, green pepper, garlic and finely chopped mushrooms to bulk it out then I'm afraid I did my usual lazy-ass trick and chucked in a jar of salsa. The one I had was a bit high in carbs (bought pre bootcamp) with 18.6 in total but that did do 4 servings so about 4.6 each plus the veg.
Just blobbed it onto a big lettuce leaf, put a bit of sour cream on it and folded it. Have to watch with sour cream though, I used the real thing with a few herbs chopped in which is very low but some of the branded ones in the mexican foods are really high in carbs

I'm doing this, hopefully, strictly enough to kick me into ketosis (I'm certainly losing weight anyway!) but don't want to be too strict yet as I have so much weight to lose I don't want to do anything unsustainable and I don't want to get obsessive IYKWIM as I have so far to go.

Mind you, I felt less bloated today and measure 3 inches less round my waist (or where my waist would be if I was more streamlined!) than I did last week. Farewell Xmas bloat!

Mrshp that is so horrible, hope you're ok

Sorry didn't look at this thread yesterday and am travelling with work so didn't lo

Look at the spreadsheet either- thanks for sorting it out. It should be alphabetised but I can't stop people filtering differently - if they are going to do that I wish they would put it back how it was! I'm afraid it's regularly changed to highest to lowest weight filtering so I have to change it back quite often

Viper well done 3 inches!!
Off to work now and again it was a struggle getting up. I'm just out of the habit and sleeping better due to lack of alcohol
Have a good day y'all

Viper 3 inches brilliant!

I have lost so much this week - there'll be nothing left of me to weigh by Monday grin 7 lbs shock

vnmum Thu 10-Jan-13 08:11:33

I am slightly dissappointed this morning. I had gained half a pound yesterday and it's still there today. Don't really know why either. I have had some green and blacks the past 2 nights but only a few squares. So that is getting stopped but not sure what else the problem could be unless DH is sneaking stuff in sauces when he's cooking. might have to go completely dairy free, had a bit of cheese and cream yesterday and have been having yoghurt for breakfast or pudding sometimes.

It's just frustrating because i desperately want to shift the xmas gain and did well last week losing 3 or so lb but then gain a bit this week. Grrr.

BigStickBIWI Thu 10-Jan-13 08:27:37

viper - 3 inches off your waist is fab!

vnmum - I don't want to wave my big stick around on this thread (honestly!), but if you've been eating the chocolate then that really isn't going to help either your head-getting-round-it, or your weight. Good idea, too, to check that DH is not secretly sabotaging things! Could be the dairy, too.

I had a real struggle last night re alcohol. I really wanted a drink at the witching hour - 6pm. All manner of justifications went through my head, which is truly awful. I did resist, but I know it's going to be harder tonight, because DH will be drinking. (He doesn't drink Mon-Weds as a routine).

Anyway, the scales rewarded me this morning, with another pound off. I've lost 2.25lbs this week so far, so I'm really hoping to make it 4lbs this week if I can, which will be the bulk of the gain over Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now