NOW or NEVER, NO EXCUSES thread Part 3

(1000 Posts)

Ooooooohhhh, that's exciting, and a bit of an honour, I feel like the Leader!

Ah dancing they can be scary all mine have had them . I used to shove calpol /neurofen down throat at first hint of fever after a while . Hope he is sleeping

Johnny snap seems been like forever dieting especially now healthy weight

have people saying about stoping now but am only just a healthy weight iykwim . But i have always had 10 stone as a goal compared to where was its not far but other ways it seems so bloody far . Think more so since not fallen of since start of December and that was more of fail as ended up feeling I'll . I may have day of on dd birthday next Month or try hang on for my 5 days holiday in April where I'm going to be jumping of the wagon

DancingInTheMoonlight Tue 19-Feb-13 07:03:41

You are the first person who i know whose child had had more than one human! My Ds can have 6+ fits per period of illness. Avoided them this illness with Calpol and ibuprofen but he currently is struggling for breath and barks like a dog so off to the doctors this morning... My work will be pleased!

Tortoise Tue 19-Feb-13 08:17:02

I was going to ignore today's weigh in but I need to do this and know my start point.
So, sadly, I'm up again, now to my highest yet, I think.
16st 6 sad sad

Tortoise

You can do it , even when fall and we all do then pick self up and start again and were all help pick you up

Hi tortoise sorry you're not losing. I wondered if you know what it is that's causing you to put the weight on. Sounds like a really stupid question but for years I would eat healthily yet wonder why I was gradually getting fatter. It wasn't til I started logging in mfp and weighing food that I realised why. It was a bit of a revelation.

There were dozens of small behaviours I was doing and I don't know if you can learn yours and tackle them one by one. For example I used to have a 'healthy' salad but make my own dressing with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, or I would have about 8oz pasta with one serving (now I have about 2 and lots of veg), or I would eat half a packet of cheese (now I'll have a slice), I was living off takeaways when I broke my foot last summer when I should've stocked up on readymeals, I was guzzling cappucinos with full fat milk (now I try to have herbal tea), I used to eat dcs leftovers etc etc.

I also had other issues that were making me eat, I suppose boredom was the main one and I got into a habit of having a cake and coffee every time I was on my own just because I saw it as a treat, a bit of 'me time'.

Anyway I don't mean to ramble or patronise, I hope you're OK, you know we all want to help.

dancing sorry to hear about ds. How upsetting. I hope he gets better soon.

DancingInTheMoonlight Tue 19-Feb-13 12:55:26

He's ok Johnny- just something we have to live with for now... It does make me want to eat stodgy comfort food tho so I've had to make a conscious effort when its difficult to make healthy choices.

Have you tried mfp tortoise? I found it really useful for making me think about what and when i was eating. My rule is i have to input before i ate!

Tortoise Tue 19-Feb-13 14:29:15

I eat too much crap quite frankly!
I've lost interest in food and I eat mostly chocolate, crisps, cereal bars, cakes/biscuits when I make them, chips etc plus huge plate full.

I just struggle overall on what to have. Not so much on a healthy point of view but in general.

Today I've had a big Orange for breakfast and a banana and piece of (homemade!) lemon drizzle cake.

Yesterday I had soup for lunch. But then for dinner I had a piece and a half of haddock and me and my brother shared a bag of potato wedges and I cooked them in the deep fat fryer.

Got to pick dds up now but will probably add more later. smile I'm glad I have this thread and you all to talk to.

DancingInTheMoonlight Tue 19-Feb-13 15:15:57

Sounds as tho you are in a bit of a food rut! Do you like cooking? Could you buy a book like the hairy bikers diet book which has all the classic favourites but low cal and learn some new recipes to re ignite you interest in food?

Hi tortoise I'm glad you still feel we're supporting you, I didn't want to lecture you because I honestly think we're all different and can only lose weight by working out what suits us. It took me years to work out what suits me and even though I'm only 1 1/2 stone away from my target I do worry that i won't keep this up.

One suggestion, could you put the deep fat frier in the loft and then buy some oven chips? One of my weaknesses was greasy chip shop chips, I could eat a massive portion all by myself. I've given them up but occasionally have 100g oven chips with lots of salt and vinegar and some pickled onions.

Hmmm <gets off fat arse to raid pickled onion jars.>

Tortoise Tue 19-Feb-13 18:23:54

I will reply properly later but just this second I need to post while biting my tongue!

Cooking tea, timer on to remind me to turn DDs chicken fingers.
I was upstairs helping Dds get their room done.
Brother shouts up, cookers beeping. I say I'll be there in mo.
Come down,he says I turned it all off cos spuds were bubbling!angry

How can he think that's the best solution? What has my parents been teaching him! Nothing it seems!

Tortoise Tue 19-Feb-13 22:29:00

Dancing I don't mind cooking but stick to fairly basic stuff just because i hate fiddling around with hundreds of spices and other ingredients.
I have tried MFP. Got on ok with it but its remembering to add things and working out the portion that i found tricky.

Johnny I don't like oven chips, i just need to limit the amount of fried chips i have i think and only occasionally. Then i have a treat to look forward to.

Tonight dinner was boiled potatoes, baked beans (i forgot to put veg on!) and a chicken, bacon and leek pie. Oh and ketchup! grin
Then had banana for snack later on.

And just now i had a one finger snack twix.

DancingInTheMoonlight Wed 20-Feb-13 06:51:48

The portion size takes a bit of getting used to but it saves previous entries which helps me a lot. The hairy bikers cook book is great for normal food like pies, stews and pasta and the recipes i have done have been fairly straight forward and very tasty.

Maybe if food is more difficult, the answer for you will be exercise? I hate exercise so i have had to accept i will have to concentrate on reducing my food intake but my friend took up running and loves it and can now eat what she likes!

Must admit weighing at first shocked me just what I was eating and cutting carbs down really helped as cut the hunger pains down and sweet craving

Tortoise

Is your brother the youngest or is your mum very much in control of her kitchen know few my friends won't allow their teens to cook in case they make a mess

I found macains over chipd was odd getti used to at first

Rather than saying diet could you try just small changes to healthier stuff ? Trick the mind into it
Oh and it's taken me years to finally loose the weight I used loose put on and bit more

Can you set self small tiny goals and allow self a non food treat when achieve
Dancing

Sadly excerscise is not enough on its own so bEen told your friend eats healthy good percentage of the time . Though sure it helps with burning of

I'm not a natural excerscise person hate doing it but needs must

I hate to say I laughed when I read about your brother tortoise. How annoying, what with his inability to do housework and cook he sounds like a right catch!

Ooh, that was meant sarcastically but dh is also unable to cook and do housework so maybe they're not the important life skills I thought.

I had a lovely dinner last night, didn't have much in the house so did veggie fajitas. Loads of onion, mushroom and peppers, some fajita mix, one tortilla / wrap, some law fat yogurt and a tiny bit of grated cheese. Less than 300 cals.

Exercise. I find when I do lots of it I just feel hungrier. Joined a running club after dd1 was born so went out twice a week. Put on so much weight. You can run for an hour and not burn off the calories of the cake and coffee you have afterwards. I do Pilates now which should make more of a gradual difference.

Yup johnny same why I do my yoga plus I do free weights couple times a week but not big heavy weights more get and keep my arms in top condition

Tortoise Wed 20-Feb-13 12:29:09

Human Yes he is the youngest by about 8 yrs! Unexpected number 4 child lol! Very much babied and had everything done for him by our mum! Before I agreed to him coming to live with me, he promised to either look for a job or go to college. He and our parents moved to Turkey when he was 11. He has no GCSEs or qualifications of any sort. He's done no proper schooling since left UK.

Quite frankly, he's let me down and proved everyone who said he wouldn't do anything right. I've gone from being happy to have him here to annoyed at every little thing because I'm fed up of his laziness.
Text my Older Sister last night and she's going to try and have him one day next week and see if she can chat to him.

What about careers advice thru can help courses

NobbyClark Wed 20-Feb-13 18:17:12

List of jobs tort? He needs to pull his weight!

I have had a good day today. Had lesson observation which went really well and I have some brill feedback to work on so am feeling very chilled.

First trout was what can I do to treat yield, and Dominoes pizza popped into my head. NAUGHTY! I might stretch to cheese on toast though as am down a pound already since Monday. grin

I told my work friends I was going to see a new tai chi man in his garage, cue hysterical laughing and piss taking for about ten minutes....!

Tortoise Wed 20-Feb-13 22:49:40

Careers advice would probably be good for him. Will have to look into that.

I think house is nearly clean and tidy ready for housing inspection! Only room that isn't is DS1s room. He thinks its tidy and won't listen to me saying it isn't. I know he is very short on room with my Brother in there too but he could have made more of an effort!

I will probably be in trouble for having my Brother staying here anyway! I don't know if i'm breaking any rules in my tenancy agreement! Possibly be told it makes us overcrowded! I will just have to tell a few white lies! grin and hope i get away with it.

Well done nobby did you manage to abstain from Domino's?

Hope inspection goes well tortoise.

Had an evening out with some other school mums last night. A lovely evening but I ate about 1,000 cals of tapas and a pudding. Took me about half an hour on mfp trying to work out specifically what I ate but lots of bread and patatas bravas so a bit of a carb fest.

Going out to a friend's house tonight and it'll be a takeaway as she can't / doesn't cook so unless I starve myself Friday to Sunday and run 10 miles a day Monday weigh-in won't be good!

Tortoise Thu 21-Feb-13 11:28:50

Well, that was a waste of time! She's been to do inspection, looked around garden and didn't bother to come inside!!
Oh well! At least i have a tidy house for a change! And DDs are having a friend round Friday now so they are happy. smile

ICBINEG Thu 21-Feb-13 12:12:02

tortoise could you combine the brothers lack of skills in the kitchen with the dieting by stopping cooking for him and yourself and tell him it's his job?

Might get sketchy for a while but it is always possible he will emerge able to cook and it seems likely you would lose some weight while he worked out how to switch the oven on.....

ICBINEG Thu 21-Feb-13 12:12:19

Oh and glad the inspection passed trouble free!

ICBINEG Thu 21-Feb-13 12:12:50

I have unsurprisingly put back on the weight I lost being ill...Oh well more badminton tonight!

This thread is not accepting new messages.