no more Skinny Fat we're getting toned!!!!

(110 Posts)
gracelesslady Sun 02-Dec-12 11:10:34

How about a lovely new thread where we can pat each other's backs and applaud the virtue of all the exercise we're going to do to get rid of the skinny fat, and just be stronger and fitter?

What are you going to do? I'm not a massive fan of Jillian, so I'm doing different Tracy Anderson DVDs. I just did the post pregnancy one and may need some the therapy it was so hard ;)

colette Tue 04-Dec-12 19:25:08

that's probably why I found it so easy then ! enjoy the wine

Good tip about wii talkinpeace

bluebird68 Wed 05-Dec-12 12:41:18

thanks colette
well i power walked this morning and then did the home exercises which took no time at all.
this week its box press for upper body, crunches for middle, and lunge and kick for lower body. I managed 20 of each except lunge and kick so shall up the challenge on the first 2 and work towards 20 on the last.

i'm full of admiration for those who can do hard core stuff but its not for me, though i used to love outdoors running and some people hate that- that's something i'd like to start again.

my plan (as i want to write it down) is to continue with my power walks to work and back- i work either 3 or 4 days a week, and first thing in the morning to do the above mentioned exercises.

on non working days i'll do either outdoors running or DVDs that will help build muscle tone . I've ordered a new one today- Strong body, ageless body with Erin O'Brien , was almost £10 so better be good!!

gracelesslady Wed 05-Dec-12 13:53:50

Sounds like a fab plan bluebird. I've just done a mega walk for about an hour and a half, in snow, with a buggy with very little wheels. Properly hard work!!

Might do a Tracy DVD later if I recover sufficiently. How's everyone else getting on?

kaumana Wed 05-Dec-12 21:36:05

Great work ladies! Went to BodyPump tonight which was fab. Did the press ups on my knees to protect dodgy ankle but tried to put more effort into the abs to make up for it.

I also received a two week free pass for to the gym so have invited (Shanghaied) a friend to join me in my endeavours.

gracelesslady Wed 05-Dec-12 22:11:05

Kaumana (or anyone else who knows!) what's body pump?? Xx

TalkinPeace2 Wed 05-Dec-12 22:14:51

BodyPump is a Les Mills choreographed free weights class
deeply addictive and does a world of good with as little as 1kg weights on each end ....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3qZ8sH6RTk
w3.lesmills.com/global/en/classes/bodypump/about-bodypump/

gracelesslady Wed 05-Dec-12 22:25:14

That sounds hardcore and fab! I loved doing the shred (only real experience with using weights) but it really and truly did nothing to change my shape or sculpt anything. Was so disappointed after months and months of work to see no improvement. Makes me wary of doing anything like that again - any of you got any ideas why this happened to me?

TalkinPeace2 Wed 05-Dec-12 22:27:11

detailed technique matters - like holding elbows still for bicep and tricep work
also a teacher will egg you on to push yourself where a DVD cannot see what you are actually doing

kaumana Thu 06-Dec-12 07:24:46

I lurve Body Pump. I've not been doing it for long but am seeing the benefits already. I'm going to start doing it twice a week.

I have the shred dvd which is currently collecting dust on the shelf.. it is good but you don't have the motivation that a class gives you.

bluebird68 Thu 06-Dec-12 08:20:40

i did a body pump class pump at the gym a few times years ago- really enjoyed it! didnt go long enough to see any changes.

had a row with DP last night- well a disagreement but we don't row so i didn't like it. Told him of my exercise plans and he basically said it wouldn't be enough and if i was serious to go running- he's a running freak. I do like running but am postponing starting again- its been almost a year since i last went, and running won't help upper body. He doesn't have a problem with how i look at all , just doesn't have faith that doing exercises in your living room will help in any way at all. We did make up -in the nicest way possible later on.

Then stepped on scales to see body fat, sure enough its far higher than i'd like (24.5% today ,it does fluctuate slightly due to water in body but not by much) so my middle aged body is turning to fat and the muscle is dropping away. Makes me more motivated .

gracelesslady Thu 06-Dec-12 11:42:49

Sorry about the row bluebird. Running is brilliant but you're right - it only does legs bum and cardio! Probably fine if you're blessed with natural upper body strength and you've never had babies to ruin your abs wink

I've just done the TA post pregnancy DVD and managed to do about 5 of the double leg raise pikes with a weight. Feel hugely chuffed but bit knackered. There is absolutely no way I could have done that workout in the first year after I had my kids. It's so hard. Still, despite people's reservations about the limits of getting fit in your living room, I think this might do it. Need to check my body fat and everything. Will try and remember in the morning.

TalkinPeace2 Thu 06-Dec-12 15:01:04

bluebird
point out to your dh that variety is king
I swim miles, do pump, yoga, pilates, balance, walking
but can run less than 50 yards due to old injuries

kaumana Thu 06-Dec-12 22:19:51

Bluebird- glad you made up with your DP grin.

In the interest of variety, I did a Zumba class tonight, good fun and I did work up a sweat. I used to love running but my knees can't take it anymore and as Gracelesslady has said it doesn't help with upper body strength.

Graceless- Of course you can become fit without the need for gym membership! My motivation however, is sadly lacking hence plenty of fitness DVDs on the shelf. I need someone to shout at me! Well done for today!

gracelesslady Thu 06-Dec-12 22:50:05

Thanks kaumana - let's shout at each other! I planned to get up this morning and do my DVD before the kids got up but the alarm went off at 6 and I just couldn't get up. Hence doing my exercise at 11am with a 3 year old lying on me and I Can Cook on in the background... I WILL get up early tomorrow!! grin

kaumana Fri 07-Dec-12 13:43:23

Graceless - I just pictured you bench pressing your 3 year old, that would definitely work out your chest and arms. Oh, and drop and give me 20!

gracelesslady Fri 07-Dec-12 19:49:58

Oh the shame... I'm wearing a hair shirt and considering self flaggellation for I have done no exercise today. Unless getting children to and from school over sheet ice counts?!

Stupidly busy day, at work tomorrow.... I really and totally promise I'll do something on Sunday. I should have got up at 6 today but body not willing and I am weak..

slinks off hiding face in mortification

gracelesslady Fri 07-Dec-12 19:51:12

Ps kaumana, thanks for the shouting! Do you respond better to yelling or cajoling?

kaumana Fri 07-Dec-12 22:20:51

Yelling works for me otherwise I try to get away with the least effort <tad lazy emoticon>

I should wear a hair shirt too as have done bugger all today as well. However, trying to walk over sheet ice surely counts as ice skating, so don't feel too bad. smile

gracelesslady Sat 08-Dec-12 07:06:24

Ok - batteries in the scales... I weigh 8 st 8 and a half and my body fat is 26% and I'm 5 foot 3. 26 seems a lot??? I'm off to work.... Happy Saturday everyone smile

bluebird68 Sat 08-Dec-12 12:50:44

you're similar to me graceless. I'm 5.2 weight 8.10 and body fat is 24.5%
i'm a couple of pounds over my usual weight and would like to tone up, drop my body fat and increase my muscle. My cousin is my inspiration she is only a few pounds less than me (same height exactly) but her body is so different.
anyway new DVD came today but busy with family stuff today so tomorrow it will be. Oh and those exercises i did the other day? wow i ached the next two days. This morning i was late for an appointment and ended up running half the way (in my coat with bag flapping behind me). was hard but enjoyable, must do again but properly next time!

and no one should feel too bad about skipping a day of exercise, our bodies need to rest too and if there isn't time then there isn't time , as long as over the week you're doing more then that's the main thing and just build on that.

bluebird68 Sat 08-Dec-12 12:52:40

i should say my cousin exercises loads and has a very toned body for a woman in her mid 30s. she is a fair bit younger than me but i don't see age as an excuse , just means you have to work harder and maybe eat bit less than before.

TalkinPeace2 Sat 08-Dec-12 19:45:56

Ladies,
PLEASE do not rely on "body fat scales"
I had my body fat measured as part of a cohort research medical study - full body bone scan thingy
with a BMI of 23 it put my body fat at 24% ....

work on 'pinch an inch' - far more reliable

shithappensx1000 Sat 08-Dec-12 21:03:10

Hello, please may I join. Not really trying to lose weight, currently 5'6" 9st 2lbs. Size 8/10. But I have been trying to tone up and get fit for the past few months. At the moment, I'm doing 3 or 4 runs a week and swimming once a week. When the weather is better I also cycle.

bluebird68 Sat 08-Dec-12 21:08:33

that sounds about right though. my BMI is around 22 and my body fat 24% (roughly).
It got down to 19% when i dropped a few pounds and i was happier. I prefer body fat measurement than BMI as it says more, scales don't reveal full story and BMI is just based on that weight and height. I can definitely pinch more than an inch on almost every bit of my body, several inches in places...

I think going by how your clothes fit - especially those without lycra- (which has a lot to answer for) is probably the best gauge.

gracelesslady Sun 09-Dec-12 15:54:05

Hi shithappens!

Talkinpeace... Sorry for being dim but I'm not sure what you mean. Is the body fat to bmi not what you'd expect? I think having more than a quarter of my body as fat seems like a lot but then I know women need fat just to function, and we have less muscle than men.... No idea really what it ought to be confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now