What if you just can't do 'everything in moderation'?

(6 Posts)
Goofus Sat 01-Dec-12 20:25:08

The bane of my life is chocolate. If I didn't love chocolate I'm certain I would be slim.
But I wonder if I should cut it out completely. Years ago I managed to cut it from my diet completely for 6 months (true chocoholics will know that's pretty impressive) grin and I discovered I didn't really care for it anymore. Goodness knows why I started eating it again but I'm utterly hooked.

If I try to eat it in moderation I just seem to constantly binge on it. A small amount is never enough. Does anyone else find this, with chocolate or other foods? What do you find works best?
I think I'm terribly addicted to sugar. too.

GalaxyDisaster Sun 02-Dec-12 14:19:50

Yes, I think if you have a real compulsion to eat a certain type of food, particularly sugary or salty, you have to re-educate your palate to not fancy it so much any more IYSWIM. I think that the only way to do that is going cold turkey.

The way I see it, an addicted smoker is still addicted, even if they cut down to one or two a day. They need to break the cycle.

I think food can be a bit like that, small amounts are always on the verge of tipping you over into bigger. <Disclaimer, not comparing the health consequences of chocolate and smoking!>

I periodically toy with cutting out all chocolate. Actually, I might try it for January. Or Lent.

Babieseverywhere Sun 02-Dec-12 19:30:40

Have you tried eating good quality dark chocolate ?

Apparently you can retrain yourself to enjoy a small amount of this kind of chocolate, as it fills you up more.

<BE continues eating a Crunchie bar>

Goofus Sun 02-Dec-12 21:18:34

Yeah, I think cold turkey is the way to go. It's just keeping up the ban for long enough that I don't want it any more.
Babies I can only ever eat a mouthful of dark chocolate- it's so strong. Hmm... something to consider.

Babieseverywhere Sun 02-Dec-12 22:01:17

Let me know if it works ;)

superstarheartbreaker Mon 03-Dec-12 18:59:29

Dark chocolate is supposed to be good for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now