is it really possible to be a size 8-10...

(51 Posts)
BabysPointlessPocket Thu 29-Nov-12 09:59:37

Without going on some silly faddy diet, or skipping meals, or slogging it out in the gym for x hours a week.

Because, I'm currently a size 16, eat reasonably healthily, walk 6 miles a day (with pushchair). Plus run round after my two dc and most of the housework.

Before dc I was very slim size 8. Age 15-20, I wasn't as active as I am now but I regularly skipped meals.
It made my already low blood pressure and low sugar levels hit rock bottom and I used to feel like I was going to pass out.
When I was about 21, I started eating properly, not crap, regular meals, was more active, but my weight shifted up to 12-14. But I felt healthier and never faint.

How many of you are size 8-10 and honestly eat regular meals, without skipping, and exercise moderately, not excessively.

Or is it impossible to achieve that size figure without doing those?

Because I really don't think it's possible

Mintyy Thu 29-Nov-12 20:07:53

Its not possible for everyone. It would definitely be impossible for me.

RubyrooUK Thu 29-Nov-12 20:19:55

Disclaimer not isclaimer...I also used to have typing skills.

LST Thu 29-Nov-12 20:54:25

I am now in size 6/8 tops and 10 bottoms. I have lost 1.5 stone since having my dog and not eating shite that I used too.

DontmindifIdo Thu 29-Nov-12 20:59:24

It could be possible, but it'll be slow going and will take a lot of will power.

I'd start with just keeping an eye on what you actually do eat, check the calories through the day for a couple of weeks, keep a running total and you might be very surprised what you do actually eat - I do this when I'm a little overweight and want to start cutting back, it makes you think about your choices very carefully, not just "I only had a sandwich for lunch" but do I have a ham salad one or one with mayo on etc. it doesn't take massive changes to cut 200 calories out, you don't really feel like you are on a diet, but just making sensible choices. (However if you've got out of the habit of making sensible choices you might need to retrain yourself).

BabysPointlessPocket Thu 29-Nov-12 21:21:55

I am so hungry today, af is here, which always makes me want to eat like a horse.

Today I have eaten, Breakfast, 2 weetabix semi skimmed milk, 1 small spoon of sugar. Lunch cheese and tomato sandwich on med slice white, 1 Apple, 1 pear and a low fat yogurt. Tea, 1 jacket potato with half a tin of tuna and spoon of low fat mayo.

This is a typical day, except I usually have a cereal bar for a snack and treat size choc bar for pud.

TalkinPeace2 Thu 29-Nov-12 21:23:31

I'm 47 5'5" and size 8/10
I regularly skip breakfast as I'm not hungry then and two days a week I skip lunch - will drop to 1 day a week for the health benefits of fasting when I lose four more pounds.
I maintain my weight by eating lovely big family suppers and drinking too much at the weekend.
I do not snack, and am a gym bunny.

wonderstuff Thu 29-Nov-12 21:45:01

I'm 8-10. I have never ever dieted. However I do regularly skip meals, not in order to to lose weight, but because I'm busy and I forget or don't have time. I cook from scratch and eat what I fancy. I like chocolate, cake and cheese. I am underweight, but I find it very difficult to gain weight. I lost weight at the start of both my pregnancies because I was so sick, returned to pre-pg weight fairly quickly - but not pre-pg shape sadly. I weigh 7st4 . Actually only time I have gained weight was when breast-feeding my first I was so hungry and was eating lots of cake and chocolate - a large bar a day. When I stopped eating the chocolate the weight came down.

weeonion Thu 29-Nov-12 21:50:48

i used to be 20 stone plus. did WW and lost 11.5 stone through really extreme and very strict lifestyle. i went to gym 5 mornings a week, never ate anything sweet, cut out all snacks/ treats, weighed all my food, ate slightly smaller portions than recommended, counted sat. fat/ sugar/ calories in everything, spent my weekends walking and exercising. I managed at my lightest to hit size 8.

My life was then entirely focused on keeping my weight down and maintaining that size, which i did for 6 years.

my life changed and i wasnt able to maintain all the exercise and hadnt time to spend weighing every mouthful. I am very conscious of what i eat still - the actual food and portion sizes. I now a 14 / 16 and think that in order to be a size 8 / 10 - i would have to have the time and energy to refit all that i did into my life again. I simply dont so regretfully alot of my previous hard work has been undone.

Pendulum Thu 29-Nov-12 21:55:13

Yes I am and have been all my life, except after the DCs when I went down to a 6 (anxiety).

I exercise and am careful about what I eat and enjoy lots of fresh stuff, but I do eat cake and chocolate as well (not bars of cadbury's but the odd square of dark stuff)

OP, have you tried eating fewer complex carbs? (the weetabix, bread and jacket potato). When I have a couple of pounds to drop that is how I do it - e.g. soup and salad, no bread, for lunch.

blueshoes Thu 29-Nov-12 22:17:51

I am size 6. I snack all day at my desk and don't really watch what I eat nor exercise.

I found I had to be more careful particularly after I turned 40. I now try to avoid too much carbs to reduce bloating and keep my weight steady.

topknob Thu 29-Nov-12 22:22:30

I'm an 8 always have been, even though I have 5 kids and am 35...It's all about being careful, I don't like chocolate but I do love crisps, but I limit myself to a pack a day at lunchtime smile everything is allowed just in moderation ;)

BluelightsAndSirens Thu 29-Nov-12 22:34:20

I'm an 8 and have always had a small appetite, I can eat what I fancy because its all about little and often for me.

I'm also really busy rushing about so end up skipping meals during the day or survive on half a packet of crisps and a few cups of tea, that's not intentional but the less i eat the smaller my stomach becomes and then I don't eat much for a main evening meal and I don't snack in the evening.

Down side is I get really cold, freezing and I always wanted to look massively huge when pregnant but have had 3 DC and had lots of comments about not looking pregnant or being skin and bones sad

OxandAssinine Thu 29-Nov-12 22:43:08

Op

What do you drink? Have you got a sweet tooth generally?

I avoid sugar generally, unless it occurs naturally in the food, which rules out all sorts of junky food. Eg I'd have plain yoghurt, or an oatcake, some nuts or a carrot rather than a cereal bar or a sweetened yoghurt. I do that because I feel a lot better and more energetic without biscuits, cakes, chocolate etc, not for weight reasons. I'd rather eat nutritious stuff and feel healthy rather than junk and feel tired ad moody. Some would call that a faddy diet.

I'm 8/10, I do walk the dog for about 45 mins a day, and walk to school or into town when I don't need the car. Never been to a gym or done exercise as such.

The stuff people call 'goodies' are really baddies, it is crazy.

BabysPointlessPocket Thu 29-Nov-12 23:05:56

I have got a sweet tooth, yes.
I rarely drink alcohol & fizzy drinks, a few times a year, at most.
Usually I drink 3-4 mugs of black (weak) coffee 1 sugar and 1-2 pints of water a day.

Octopus37 Wed 05-Dec-12 20:23:40

I am a size 10 (8 in vanity size shops and sometimes in tops as have small shoulders and a size30C bust), weigh on average about 8st4 and am 5ft5 tall. Before I had my DC's I was a shade under 9st and had to buy size 12 trousers cause I had a bigger hips and bum. Lost a stone in weight with breastfeeding and walking everywhere, was prob a bit too thin at under 8st. I have an enourmous appetite and eat a lot, admittedly eat chocolate and cakes everyday, but I dont' eat much diary, don't eat meat and dont drink much alcohol normally. I do a lot of walking, but could be a lot more toned. On average will eat a cereal bar and a yoghurt for breakfast, a bar of chocolate mid morning, two pieces of toast with humus for lunch, sometimes with fruit and crisps, more chocolate when I get the kids from school and some sort of pasta dish with another yoghurt for tea. However, I don't stop very often. However, I do gain weight quite quickly if I am less active and have to keep an eye on it as I do have a cut off point, extra weight does not look good on me, sometimes wish I could carry more.

Ephiny Thu 06-Dec-12 12:28:08

Yes of course it's possible. For me the key is to stop eating when I start to feel satisfied, don't go on eating out of habit or obligation once it's stopped being enjoyable. One of the nice things about being an adult is you don't have to clear your plate, or eat something you don't really like/want, or eat if you're not hungry.

Also being moderately active as part of your everyday lifestyle, so lots of walking, take the stairs etc. Walk or cycle to work/shops etc if you can. It's not good for you to sit down all day anyway. And a brisk walk is a great stress-reliever IMO. Or maybe take up an active hobby that you actually enjoy (rather than doing 'exercise' as a chore).

I wouldn't place too much importance on the labels in clothes though, 8 or 10 etc is pretty arbitrary really. If you're fit and healthy, and happy with the way you look, that's what matters surely?

Climbingpenguin Thu 06-Dec-12 12:34:35

I'm 5'1" and a size 6-8 (was 8-10 pre kids). I eat a lot though I tend to snack less. You do sound quite active so why not start a food diary? See it all written down.

Ephiny Thu 06-Dec-12 12:39:05

Though actually having looked at the OP's later posts, it doesn't look like you eat that much confused. Unless you snack more than you're telling us here smile

I am the same height, I eat at least as much as that, and don't really exercise other than walking. And I'm under 8st.

I agree about the food diary, maybe you're eating/drinking more than you think. Myfitnesspal.com is good for tracking what you eat.

BabysPointlessPocket Thu 06-Dec-12 13:21:54

The only way I lose weight is when I skip meals. But it makes me feel ill and like I'm going to pass out. I don't think I eat too much and do plenty of walking.
Maybe this is just the way I am and the build I'm supposed to be.

lizardqueenie Fri 07-Dec-12 20:00:59

Have found this thread really interesting so thanks for starting OP. I am someone who has been overweight (to a greater or lesser extent at times) all of my life. My Dh also became very overweight recently but has had a health scare and has lost just over 2st since the end of October. He was eating a lot of rubbish before and in great quantities so any improvement in his eating was going to have a big impact but he hasn't gone on any silly diet just 3 sensible meals a day, sensible portions, lots of fruit it and veg but again not huge portions of anything, eating until he is satisfied. He has cut out all of the crap too. He said something which has rung true with a few comments on here, that really it isnt that hard there is no magic formula, you know whats good/ bad for you and just cut out the things that are bad. (not directing this at you OP more at myself really).

I always seem to be trying the latest diet or trying to be "extra good" then falling on my face with it. He also said that coming up to lunchtime say 11/1130 he does start getting hungry but (and this is the clincher for me) thats ok. Its ok to feel hungry. You know you are going to eat at lunchtime. Whereas somehow i have got into thinking if i feel hungry its like some great red alert. But realistically the world is not going to end, a sandwich will be along shortly. For me its getting out of habits like that.

carabos Sat 08-Dec-12 09:22:57

I'm 49 and a size 8. Always have been and have always been able to eat what I want and not exercise.

Sounds great? However, a bit of analysis reveals the following:
The size 8 that I was 30 years ago isn't the same size 8 as today. I reckon today's size 8 is 1980's size 12. I think what has happened is that the proportions have changed, so the people who were at the smaller end 30 years ago are still at the smaller end today, but everything got bigger.

I know I eat less than a lot of other people. Yes I can eat what I like, but I eat less of it. That's just my appetite. I see what other people have on their plate and can't understand how they can physically absorb that much food.

I regard "doing no exercise" differently from others. I do a spin class at least twice a week, often 3 times, I walk everywhere carrying weights and I ride my horse. I describe this as "doing no exercise" because it is the minimum described by the department of health to maintain fitness. It is not a fitness programme as such. When I want to get fit for something I up my game and start running etc. I have had a recent fitness test and came out of that as "average".

I have noticed a difference in my metabolism over the last three or four years. It is definitely slowing down, I am stiffer and slower. To the untrained eye that would not be apparent, but it's a fact.

I expect that over the next 10 years or so I am going to have to work pretty hard to stay in shape.

In short, genes, age and lifestyle all come into it. Everybody is different.

fatlazymummy Sat 08-Dec-12 14:27:45

I don't think it is possible for me. When I was in my 20's I had a BMI of around 17-18 at 5' 4'', did a fairly physical job and wore 10 -12 [old sizing so it was smaller than now].
I think it's just my build. I am now in size 12 bottoms,14 tops. That is with plenty of exercise [though not in an actual gym].I am aiming to lose a few more pounds in a healthy way, so hopefully will drop a size. Im not too fussed though as long as there are no lump or bumps.
I prefer to focus on my health and fitness rather than my clothes siz.

primigravida Sun 09-Dec-12 06:29:02

It's possible for me. I eat healthily and make sure I have no junk food in the house. I will have cake or biscuits once or twice a week. I drink water or herbal tea and have a hot chocolate after dinner. I have two children and oldest one is five. I walk for twenty mins three to four times a week but otherwise do no exercise and have never belonged to a gym. The key for me is only snacking on fruit or no snacking at all and I always start the day with oats (either porridge or home-made muesli) except Sundays when I have pancakes with lashings of butter and maple syrup. I have only ever been bigger than a size eight when I was pregnant and in the first couple of months after giving birth.

shithappensx1000 Sun 09-Dec-12 20:56:01

I am size 6-8 on the top, 8-10 on the bottom. I don't diet but I am careful. My meals are smallish, I don't really like cakes, biscuits and chocolate - so I don't eat them. I don't drink a great deal but do like the odd packet of crisps. I also exercise 4 or 5 times a week.

BabysPointlessPocket Tue 11-Dec-12 09:58:39

Over the weekend I had d&v bug, I haven't got any scales but when I put my jeans on this morning, my belt went on a few notches tighter.
I suppose in that respect, if I am ill, I don't have to worry about getting too thin, I've got plenty to lose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now