What do you think the weight of this woman is in both pictures?

(61 Posts)
nappyaddict Mon 26-Nov-12 10:23:22

She is 5 foot 4 inches.

Pictures

nappyaddict Thu 29-Nov-12 20:40:05

Thanks sleepwhenidie

I've never done weight training before but I would like to start. How did you get into it? Did someone at the gym show you how to do it correctly? I imagine you could do yourself an injury if you just started doing it by yourself?

TalkinPeace2 Thu 29-Nov-12 20:54:04

BodyPump :-)
excellent way to learn the basics

digerd Thu 29-Nov-12 21:24:57

Women lifting heavy objects can cause prolapse of the womb, and other internal organs - my female Gyny said that was the reason for my prolapse in my early 40s. What had I done? Just carried small block paving bricks, one in each hand. But then I am delicately built and never had much muscle in my arms/shoulders - unlike my sister who was born with them.

digerd I'm sorry to hear about your prolapse. I think many toddlers are heavier than a small paving block though, and most women carry them with no issues at all, unless they have previous pelvic floor issues.

rusmum Thu 29-Nov-12 22:24:46

8.5 stone and 8 stone?

Nappy - body pump class is good, but by far the best way to start IMO is to get a personal trainer, (or at least someone who you are sure knows what they are doing) even if only for one or two sessions (most PT's will give you a free "taster" class if you ask them). He or she can show you exercises best for your goals and ensure you know the correct technique. Would that be possible?

hmc Fri 30-Nov-12 15:48:49

Exercise and diet wise - I eat a healthy diet, am normal weight (BMI 24) and run 3 / 4 times per week. I lift 2-3kgs for perhaps 24 reps a couple of times a week and have noticeably big biceps. Fact. You might struggle to believe it but it is true.

hmc Fri 30-Nov-12 15:50:27

Although I rather like what has happened to my shoulders (I do reps to exerise other arm muscles)

TalkinPeace2 Fri 30-Nov-12 18:42:30

sleep
I pay so much for my gym that I avoid paying for the trainers!
The current BodyBalance has a small stack of pressups hidden in it - and combat friends have commented that sun salutations are a FAB way to build upper body strength without bulking

I do pump once a week, just to remind my muscles that there is life beyond yoga!

nappyaddict Fri 30-Nov-12 21:04:36

There is a local personal trainer that is charging £10 an hour for new clients until the end of Jan. Don't know how much he charges after that.

sleepwhenidie How much are the PTs at your LA gym?

Hi nappy, they are approx £40 ph so £10 is a great deal! I would definitely get a couple of sessions now if you can, then maybe a follow up one in Jan to review your progress.

I don't use a PT anymore, but I did for a while a few years ago. I think once you get used to weight training you can feel if you are doing it correctly, the important stuff is keeping your core stable, knees don't go beyond toes during squats/lunges. Stop your reps when you feel you are losing good form. There are plenty of great websites to show you new exercises when you want to get specific results or just change things about over time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now