What do you think the weight of this woman is in both pictures?

(61 Posts)
nappyaddict Mon 26-Nov-12 10:23:22

She is 5 foot 4 inches.

Pictures

Mintyy Mon 26-Nov-12 14:55:32

Oh, how fascinating creamtea. And what does fat fat constitute then?

Cynner Mon 26-Nov-12 14:58:51

I am crap at weight guessing..but she is adorable in both pics..lucky her!

FellatioNelson Mon 26-Nov-12 15:00:18

oh I snuuuuuurked Chipping, I SO fucking snurked.

the next time I saw her she was on a really strict diet! I had to laugh a bit inside - I knew she would be! I can just imagine her telling her DH over dinner that night that if she was fatter than me she was never going to eat again! grin

I had similar this weekend Fellatio, a girl was bitching talking about someone she knows who is a size 20, then turned to me and said, 'no offence, you look quite good for it.'... I'm a 12/14 hmm Way to shatter my self esteem you knob grin (her, not you!)

FellatioNelson Mon 26-Nov-12 15:10:43

oh yes, I have a few of those in my time scented. hmm

FellatioNelson Mon 26-Nov-12 15:10:56

have had, sorry.

Creamtea1 Mon 26-Nov-12 16:00:23

Well seeing as apparently the girl in the picture is skinny fat on the left, then I presume fat fat is anything over a stone heavier? And surely anyone who is trying to lose weight wants to be skinny fat not fat fat otherwise why be trying to lose weight?

nappyaddict Mon 26-Nov-12 19:35:24

She's the right hand picture now. Her way of eating is low carb (you still eat carbs but you get them mostly from veg), high fat and high protein. She does mostly barbell training with deadlifts but also squats, overhead presses, and bench presses. She is proof that you can do strength training without getting really bulked up.

Fellatio The reason she looks slim at that height and weight is because when you strength train with very heavy weights for low numbers of repetitions, you build dense, tight muscle and muscle is much heavier than fat. It's the only way to get a figure that is toned, sculpted and defined. No amount of running, cycling, swimming, cross training, dancing or lifting small weights with lots of reps will do that in the same way.

Skinny fat is where you are a normal BMI, and normal site, but have high percentage of body fat. It's often less healthy than being slightly overweight (fat fat?) as the fat is often visceral fat, around the organs, which is not so healthy as on e.g. the thighs.

Nappy, I second what you say re strength training, I get so irritated by women banging on about not wanting to bulk up, hence wasting their time waving 2kg dumbells around in the gym. I lift heavy weights, low reps regularly, I am a size 8, I lost 2st in 7 months after 3rd DC stopped bf two years ago - pics on my profile (put there for s&b thread)...bulky and masculine? The other bonus about having higher muscle mass is you get to eat lots without putting on weight grin!

Girl in pics looks great but I would definitely have said heavier in pic 2 as well.

nappyaddict Wed 28-Nov-12 15:24:27

Sleepwhenidie Do you do weights at home or do you go to a gym?

I go to the gym 2-3 times a week, do weights and interval training but have a trx for when i am away or can't get there. Also I kickbox 2-3 times a week (run if away from home). How about you?

merlottits Wed 28-Nov-12 17:43:37

I would have guessed both pictures were around 10 stone.
I think most women 'under' guess weight. And also lie about their weight. The amount of times someone of approx 16-18 stone has told me they weigh 'about' 12 stone smile

At 5ft 8 and size 10 I have weighed 10.5 stone (through lots of exercise). People seem surprised as if anything over 9.5 stone is impossible to look ladylike.

TalkinPeace2 Wed 28-Nov-12 19:49:13

my guess would have been nine stone in both
knowing that i'm an inch taller and that weight

and yes, bodypump and yoga only make you bulk up if you do high weight low rep

No talkin, that is mine and nappy's point - high weight low rep will not make you bulk up.

TalkinPeace2 Wed 28-Nov-12 20:36:50

OK
its what the guys at the gym do to tear their muscles so they bulk
and by high I mean over 30kg total

bodypump with 6kg on each end is normal for the ladies at my gym
and yoga - holding the arm balances for long periods can cause bulking

I don't think the pictures look different and I'd have put her about 8 stone 7 and about a size 8.

Talkin, guys bulk up because they have high levels of testosterone that women don't - even then they actually find it really hard to do that without steroids and/or huge amounts of protein in their diet.

I regularly bench press 34kg, sets of 8-10 reps - pic of me on my profile shows my arms...the "bulking" theory is rubbish.

TalkinPeace2 Wed 28-Nov-12 21:46:45

ooh, that will upset the muscle boys!
then again, the excess wiry look that some of my friends have (think Madonna) aint pretty either :-)

love that dress BTW

Thank you smile, now that I have found shoes to go with it (none of those pictured), I shall be wearing it for my 40th.

I think the wiry thing comes with age, lots of strong yoga and v low body fat, the latter is definitely not a problem I have thanks to too much wine, butter and chocolate

hmc Wed 28-Nov-12 22:23:17

Sleepwhen - lifting dumb bells of just 3 - 5kg each for low reps has made me bulk up. I have biceps bigger than a lot of fellas, so what's going on with me then precisely?

TellMeLater Wed 28-Nov-12 22:39:49

I think some of the difference is that some people develop muscle much quicker than others. It takes me bloody ages to build muscles even tiny ones.

I would have said, given her height, that she was around 8 1/2 stone in both photos - her abs look much more toned on the right but the rest of her looks about the same.

nappyaddict Thu 29-Nov-12 00:10:23

sleepwhenidie

Do you go to a mixed gym or ladies only? I want to join a gym but am worried about being amongst a load of blokes on steroids wondering what the hell a woman is doing at their end of the gym!

Nappy, the gym I go to is mixed, local authority one. Not full of meat head types, which i know some gyms are, but I am pretty much always the only woman in the free weights section where I do 90% of my workout. Always good to see other women there but the guys are friendly enough, I just stick my headphones in and get on with it regardless grin

Hmc, what have you been doing exercise and diet wise? Even though tellmelater is right and of course some people build muscle more easily than others, I really struggle to believe you have bulked up doing low weights, low reps confused!

Nappy, if you are interested, here is a thread started earlier this year with lots of mn weight training enthusiasts/wannabe enthusiasts chatting, maybe its time for its revival!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now