Low carbing and exercise

(3 Posts)
PlatoonBuffoon Sat 17-Nov-12 09:47:02

Hello... I've seen there are a lot of low carbers on here and I have a question I'm hoping you can help me with.

I've been trying to lose weight for a long time. I lost 2.5 stone a few years ago, then my weight just plateaued and I haven't had much luck losing anything since then. Just started low carbing a week ago and I feel like this could really help me shift the last stone or so. I'm getting on great with it, finding it easy and delicious!

But.... I'm a keen runner and have a 10 mile race coming up. But my last few training runs have been awful. Distances that are normally easy have been really challenging. My legs felt like lead and I felt like all my energy had gone half way through the run. I even had to stop a couple of times.

At all other times I feel really great, and I'm pretty sure I'm taking on a decent amount of calories. I don't want to give up running but I don't want to stop low carbing either. So do I just keep going, grin and bear it and wait for my body to adapt or do I take on some carbs before each run? Anyone got any experience of this?

Thanks so much for your help!

TellMeLater Sat 17-Nov-12 10:59:25

Recently trained for a 10k low carbing - I didn't need to eat before run and didn't hit a hunger wall like I did when I ate carbs. I did lose my nerve and I carb loaded before the race and managed a good PB.
It takes a while for our bodies to get used to fat burning, so it's early days. I firmly believe that with all this diet nonsense (and a lot of it is made up by people applying their own experience and the often dubious common sense,) you have to work it out yourself, what works for me may not work for you, even if you are doing all the "right" things.
If it were me, I'd give low carbing while training 3 weeks to work and if I still felt under power I'd carb just enough for training purposes, not sure how it's done but some body builders take his approach - could be nonsense though wink

PlatoonBuffoon Sat 17-Nov-12 11:17:58

Thanks tellmelater. Great advice. I think you hit the nail on the head - I may be having a crisis of confidence that this approach will work in the long run and am not wanting to jeopardise my fitness levels, but loving the low carb way of life and the science behind it makes good sense too.

You are right, I guess there's not really a black and white or a right and wrong with this stuff. Trial and error is is!

Thanks again, really appreciate your reply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now