Threads in this topic will auto-delete after 90 days.

So I want/ need to lose 84lbs EEEEEK! Where the hell do I start?

(37 Posts)
mummyisafatty Fri 16-Nov-12 22:50:10

Hi, I am sure my story is same as many out there. I am 28 years old. I have 2 sons. My eldest is 5yrs my youngest is just about to turn 1.

It's been a tricky year, DH got made redundant (sorted in new job now thankfully) but it added stress to our family for months, DS2 was/ is a difficult baby, I got diagnosed with postnantal depression in April. I probably should have got diagnosed after DS1 too but never dared go to the doctor. Anyway, gradually through the last few years of depression, baby weight, bordom etc, my weight has rocketed. I am now 16 stone 4 which is just faaaar too big. I don't feel good. I certainly don't look good. I am 5ft 8 and should apparently weigh between 9st12 and 11stone3... I am aiming for a middle ground of 10 stone 5.

Bottom line is can it be done??? How?? Any tips or any one want to join me. I seriously can not carry on like this. Every day it's the same thing. Wake up and think I'll eat healthily- before I know it I've gobbled 2 crumpets, a bag of crisps, an enormous galaxy bar and something with chips! It's disgusting and I need to stop. Help x

nappyaddict Thu 22-Nov-12 23:19:47

I have cut all sugar, potatoes and grains out.

You feel like you aren't on a diet because you can make things taste rich with oils, butter, cream and cheese. After all plain bread, rice and pasta isn't exactly something to look forward to is it, it's the sauces you put on it. I just put those sauces on my meat and veg instead.

I also allow myself a recommended amount of 3 squares or 30g of 85% or higher dark chocolate a day and a large glass of good red. The one I drink is 13% and an "allowable" daily serving is apparently 273ml. They both have health benefits and they are a nice treat to look forward to.

In my coffee I now have a dollop of extra thick double cream with a teaspoon of cocoa and a teaspoon of cinnamon sprinkled on top instead of milk and sugar.

BellaTheGymnast Wed 21-Nov-12 11:45:14

Blimey, well done you, half a stone is fab, very tangible progress.

mummyisafatty Tue 20-Nov-12 20:28:46

Thank you for the die tips everyone. I am researching which ones will fit in better for me but for now I am just reducing portions and also piling up the veges and doing without the potatoes/ yorkshire pudding/ starchy things. I am finding it a lot easier than I thought. I was hungry earlier but got an apple instead of heading to the shop for jammy dogers! I even did a 15 minute aerobic session on the TV today and then went for a long walk with DS2 in the pushchair. I've also switched to lemon tea with no sugar instead of my usual milky 3 sugars regular tea! Small changes but it must be working. I got weighed again today and I was 15 stone 11... still huge but 7lbs less than when I started a week ago. I have to keep it up.

Ilovemyteddy Mon 19-Nov-12 15:18:24

You CAN do this!

Like Doshusallie I have also been low-carbing since mid-January. Not Atkins because it's too hardcore for me, but using a book by John Briffa called 'Escape the Diet Trap'. I was just over 16stones when I started the diet and this morning I was 11stone 5lbs - my target is 10 and a half stones so aiming to lose 77lbs in total - and I've lost 65.2lbs so far. I should also say that I've had my cholesterol checked twice since I've been on this diet and, despite the fact that low-carbing also means eating a lot of fat, it has been 4.5 both times it has been checked.

I know there are people who don't believe that low-carbing is sustainable, but I think that's mainly due to Atkins being the most well-known of LC diets - and to the bad press it has received.

Briffa's ideas are not a million miles from Atkins - basically he says you can eat all meat (being careful not to eat too much processed meat), fish, eggs, cheese (in moderation), butter, cream and selected vegetables (the lower carb ones - so peas and carrots are a bit of a no-no but most other veg are fine.) You can eat nuts (again in moderation.) Fruit is out as it is full of sugar.

I won't blind you with the science behind it, but what he says is that by cutting sugar (refined and natural sugars) out of your diet you stop your blood sugar levels from yo-yo-ing (the thing that gives you that craving for a choccy biccie at 3 in the afternoon) so you don't get ravenous and you don't get cravings.

You use your own body fat for energy, rather than carbs. You also eat a lot more fat than you would think is right on a 'diet' - but the fat that you eat encourages your body to use your body fat for fuel (it's alot more complicated than that!)

You also need to drink a lot of water.

There is a low-carb thread on MN and a recipe thread.

I think you need to find the diet that works for you - not just food-wise but also which fits in with your lifestyle (and your budget in terms of food shopping.) IME low-carbing works, particularly if you have a lot of weight to lose, but you need to be organised, and it can be expensive (all that meat!) The one thing that is really good is, if you do it properly, you don't feel hungry: so if you have the willpower of a flea (like me) it will work for you!

EldritchCleavage Mon 19-Nov-12 15:04:09

Have a read around the various diets and see what you think would suit. I've lost 3 stone so far since May/June doing low carb/high protein and fat, which suits me better than anything else I've ever tried. It works well if you have to cook for a family, because usually you can just miss out the carb part of a meal and eat the casserole/curry/whatever.

Other tips:
-the one time you must be really disciplined is when out food shopping. If you don't buy the snacks and junk stuff, you can't eat it.

-It is often not meal times, but the unconscious, done before you've even thought about it eating that trips you up. Write down all the times of day you tend to do this and think of strategies to stop it, eg drinking water or herbal tea whenever you feel like munching something; enforcing a no snacks while watching telly in the evenings rule (I almost never eat after my evening meal anymore). For example, I have a small snack before I start cooking for the children, then I don't allow myself to nibble what I'm preparing or clear their plates.

-switch to Splenda instead of sugar.

-bear in mind that trying to use willpower and portion control alone is very hard to do. You can try eating more salad and vegetables, which are healthy and the least fattening foods, so you aren't absolutely starving. If you get starving the temptation to cheat is much greater. Have controlled snacks (a few almonds, some raw veg) rather than trying to go without completely.

mummyisafatty Mon 19-Nov-12 14:49:40

Creepy McKayz Just read your post!....and yep I've had the same feelings of wanting to put it off til after Christmas looking at all the yummy food I will be depriving myself of. However, I KNOW if I wait til after Christmas I will only have yet MORE weight to lose which is frightening and also every New Year I say to myself 'this is the year I am going to do it and lose the weight' but by Jan 9th I've either fallen off the wagon and stuffing my face on biscuits or I'm still yet to actually start and I will continue to put it off and never actually start blush . I can't keep doing this to myself! It's ridiculous. Every year it's the same thing and I am just getting fatter and fatter and feeling like it's more and more unachievable which of course gives me an even better excuse to put it off and gain yet more lbs! Argggggggh! I remember in 2004 before I had my dcs I got weighed and I was 12 sone 8 and I was horrified at how fat I was and really though I should do something about it. Well- 8 years later here I am.... only 3 and half stone heavier now. It needs to stop now. We can do this right???????

Well welcome to everyone who's on here. How are you all doing? What sort of diet's/ ways of eating are people planning on using. So far I have just been drinking more water, not snacking (at all because I know if I have one biscuit it will turn into 10!) and basically trying to limit my portion sizes.... and yep, I am starving :-(

nappyaddict Mon 19-Nov-12 14:15:47

Doshusallie What weight were you before you started doing low carb/atkins a year ago?

BellaTheGymnast Mon 19-Nov-12 11:48:41

I have a feeling the gym pass might have been linked not only to my friend's weight, but also she has anxiety and MH issues. Will investigate and report back!

mummyisafatty Mon 19-Nov-12 10:43:27

Wow, free to join slimming world and gym passes. I think I need to visit the GP and explain to her what I am wanting to do and see if she can help. I got weighed this morning and I am now 15stone 13 so I've lost 5lbs this week! Rather happy with that but obviously it'll probably level out and slow down a hell of a lot. I am thinking a lot of it was just water weight that drops off at the beginning. Still a big step in the right direction though!

I am feeling a bit more positive about it today. I know it can be done... just not sure it can be done by me yet!!! But I am determined to at least shift some of the weight for health reasons. It can't be good for me to be this size.

We are going on holiday to Spain in June next year and I would very much like to be feeling healthier and fitter. Would like to be around 13 stone by then but not sure how realistic that is. That would mean I need to lose another 3 stone in 7 months hmmmmmmm!

TequilaMockingMagpie Mon 19-Nov-12 07:49:06

Another one in the same boat , I have weighed myself this morning and I am bigger than I have ever been , apart from pregnancy .

I am eating rubbish , mostly through boredom or comfort . I need to lose three stone , I managed to give up smoking over a month ago , if I can do that then surely I can do this ?

McKayz Mon 19-Nov-12 07:40:09

Are you me??? Same weight same height and same goal weight!! Creepy.

I've started doing weight watchers today actually. I've got a 5 year old, 3 year old and a 5 month old. I'm still exclusively breastfeeding DD. But unfortunately the BF isn't helping the weight come off. Instead I'm probably eating more because of it. I'm always really hungry.

Though I'm slightly regretting starting now looking at all the nice Christmas food!

halfnhalf Mon 19-Nov-12 07:32:34

I'd really recommend myfitnesspal. As said above, it's free and recording everything makes you eat less mindlessly. I've spent years and years eating too much (I'd drive to the shops to buy biscuits and eat all of them by the time I got home) and never thought I could stick recording everything I ate, but it becomes quite addictive and I've lost almost a stone in a month (I'm 5'7" and started at 15 stone 2 pounds.

BellaTheGymnast Mon 19-Nov-12 07:31:02

A friend of mine got free gym sessions via the GP. I'd forgotten about that, will see whether that scheme is still going.

tigerdriverII Mon 19-Nov-12 00:09:41

Just thought. If you go to your GP they may be able to offer you some free group sessions. I have had 12 weeks slimming world for free, still got about four to go, nearly a stone down and on the right track. The shocking thing is this was free, but the nurse told me that no one was taking it up. I could afford to do it without the free sessions but have taken them anyway as no one else was. I think they do weightwatchers as well, maybe others.

SCOTCHandWRY Sat 17-Nov-12 23:52:16

Low carb/high protein/fat diets do work, and are sustainable.

The so called "balanced" diet currently recommended -very high carb, very high grain, high dairy, med/low protein and very low fat - is a post war invention and bares no relation to what humans actually evolved to eat. If you were trying to make the population as sick, as diabetic and as fat as possible, this is the perfect diet to do that! And look how well it's working!

lchf (grain free/paleo/ancestral) lifestyles work because it regulates blood sugar, restores metabolic function, can reverse many illness.

PP's mentioning craving and needing to hunt down snack (all carbs) - suggests it's time to ditch them, seriously, I know, I have been there. It is literally addictive. It is real hunger, your blood sugar spikes then crashes after eating carby food, and it makes you hungry - it's not all in your head.

amazingmumof6 Sat 17-Nov-12 23:09:46

mummyisafatty thank you, they are all lovely, and right now asleep, so even lovelier! smile

I have time coz bloody washing machine's been broken since last Wednesday so I got bored and discovered MN!
We are waiting for a special part to arrive - apparently it's impossible to break a Miele - so I'm waiting for Guinness officials to turn up! grin
friends & MIL are dealing with mountains of dirty clothes, so I'm here, carefree, typing away ever since...

coincidentally, I've become a bit addicted and forgot to eat some dinners/snacks and I kid you not I lost 4 lbs in 10 days!!!

I should write a new diet book
- step 1 - break your washing machine and get others to do washing for you

- step 2 - get on MN and forget to eat (bf while at it is optional)

- step 3 - discover you have lost weight and rejoice grin

mummyisafatty Sat 17-Nov-12 20:28:42

Interesting and very true quote 3mum. I think that pretty much sums it up for me! Yes amazingmumof6 you must feel the not enough sleep and peace & quiet more than most! I am amazed how you even have time to type with 6 children. What a beautiful and lovely family you must have though. All those different personalities and they'll always have someone to turn to as they get older. Awww... don't be getting me broody! grin

Bellathegymnast your post struck a chord with me. It's not enough not to buy the crap food. I will go out and hunt it down! A trip to the garden centre can end in me going to the cafe for cake. A morning shool run ends with me going to the corner shop for biscuits. I often send DH on a junk food run when the boys are in bed for Doritos and chocolate. I just am totally addicted and obsessed with food. Perhaps I need hypnotherapy or something but seriously I devide my days up into meal times, snacks to look forward to etc etc. Even a day out at the seaside with the boys leads me to fantasizing all the way there about eating chips and gravy on the beach... I NEED HELP!

I have however this last 2 days not snacked, not eaten junk and let me tell you I feel frigging starving. I am sure it's psychological but I could eat a horse and that's surely not normal to feel hungry all the time just because I am not constantly eating. Maybe my body has just got used to being fed constantly with sugar and fat??

Anyway, I am resisting the cravings for now. Thank you to everyone for the good advice and those with tips I am very grateful. Welcome to everyone who has joined in. We will do this!

amazingmumof6 Sat 17-Nov-12 19:22:10

3mum thanks for that quote, but I'd extend it to "and enough sleep and peace& quiet!" and I'm not even joking

3mum Sat 17-Nov-12 14:24:10

Hello can I join please? I'm 5 feet 5 inches and weigh 12 stone 9 (gulp) That i a BMI of 29.5 ie borderline clinically obese. I'd like to get down to 9 and a half stones which would give me a BMI of 19.1 so quite a bit to go.

I have also just been tested and found out that I am gluten intolerant which probably explains my lifelong IBS. According to the nurse that probably also explains why I absolutely love bread. cakes, doughnuts etc. Apparently you tend to crave gluten even though you are sensitive to it. Definitely low carbing for me then. Started this morning. Plus side is as I am slightly anaemic too I can have a steak and spinach for lunch and feel virtuous!

I've had a really crap year for various reasons and the weight has just piled on through comfort eating, boredom eating, middle of the night angst eating, despair eating. You name it, just too much eating!

Here is a fantastic quote from a lady called Geneen Roth who has written a couple of books on why women eat "It's about taking more than enough of something you know you can get - food - because you believe it's impossible to get enough of what you really want: love, joy, value, happiness, contentment, friendship". That really struck a chord with me.

BellaTheGymnast Sat 17-Nov-12 13:29:26

Can I add my two pennorth please? I'm about 14.5 stone and 5'4". I am NEVER hungry as I graze all the time. For me not having it in the house isn't enough, I'll go round to the shop for biscuits and chocolate.

I actually feel that I have no control at all around food and am bewildered as to how I will manage to lose weight.

Doshusallie Sat 17-Nov-12 13:25:20

And Atkins is very much sustainable. I have been doing it for over a year.

Doshusallie Sat 17-Nov-12 13:24:34

My advice is low carb. You eat lovely fulfilling tasty food, and never go hungry. You lose weight and it stays off, as well as numerous other health benefits such as better sleep, less pmt, etc.

If you would like some advice on how to get started come in over to the low carb boot camp threads. It works, I promise you, and you break all your addictions to sweet things and sugar in the process.

McPie Sat 17-Nov-12 13:22:05

In july I was 15 stone 7 lb and could not for the life of me lose weight and was refered to a nurse in my practice who was trained in the Counter Weight plan.
I was given 2000 cals a day split into 6 food groups and a snack amount, I could eat 9 slices of bread each day if I wanted to and was sure I would fail as I was eating, in my mind going by faddy diets, way too much.
Next weigh in 2 weeks later I had lost 3 1/2 lb which amazed me as I had never eaten so much in my life.
I now weigh 13 stone 10 and have started going to the classes at my local leisure centre on week days which has helped my confidence and body shape.
I still have about 3 stone to go before I hit a healthy BMI but am not far from getting into the overweight range when I started out at 37.
PM me if you would like me to give you the basics of the plan or ask at your surgery if they do the plan (its nurse led normally) as it comes with some really useful booklets on eating behaviour and making changes.

amazingmumof6 Sat 17-Nov-12 13:15:49

I must add that yes carbs, fibre and small amounts of fat are also important! I meant lean protein should be included with above! (as opposed to none or fatty versions) also oily fish is good

so for example I love oatsosimple for breakfast with nutmeg and a splash of maple syrup and it's full of fibre so it does fill me up (plus nice and creamy, I call it breakfast soup!)

but I also like a lean grilled bacon and tomato sandwich or scrambled eggs with mushrooms for lunch and that stops me from afternoon snacking...

I just wanted to clarify (Atkins is not a balanced diet, quck results, but not sustainable! read about it but never tried it, never want to)

Sunnywithachanceofshowers Sat 17-Nov-12 13:02:02

Hello lovely
I'm 5'2 and about 16 stone - I also need to lose a lot. Thanks for posting this, I'm grateful for all the advice above.
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now