Low Carb for Vegematarians

(10 Posts)
DameFanny Tue 13-Nov-12 14:30:04

Could I get a quick precis of the rules please? I'm after losing weight to relieve some joint issues, but I don't want to end up clogged with cholesterol either...

So - how much dairy and what kinds?

Are nuts ok?

Any recipe suggestions? I've had a look at the recipes section and got those, but any good filling soups?

I'm used to eating with pulses so its a bit odd to not have them, I can't eat soya so tofu etc is out, I will not never ever eat an avocado.

Any help? Thanks for any suggestions or tips thanks

DameFanny Tue 13-Nov-12 18:36:44

Fat bump...

MsRinky Tue 13-Nov-12 18:42:00

Honestly ? Low carb vegetarian is tough. Low carb vegetarian without soy is really tough. I hope you like eggs...

Nuts are OK, but the carbs can add up. Cheese is good, but milk and cottage cheese are too carby. Unsweetened yoghurt preferably greek and live is OK.

I would get the Rose Elliot low carb veggie book, but from what I can recall she will suggest tofu and other soy products (and lovely avocados).

You may have to do your own thing and see if a moderate carb rather than low carb approach works for you - keep the pulses, lose the bread, pasta and rice.

Disclaimer: I am an ex vegetarian and still eat a lot of veggie food as well as doing low carb, but I would struggle without tofu.

DameFanny Tue 13-Nov-12 18:52:31

Thanks MsRinky. Are any particular nuts worse than others?

MsRinky Tue 13-Nov-12 19:34:14

Brazils and macadamias lowest, almonds and walnuts medium, cashews surprisingly high. If you're doing your own thing and needing to rely on protein sources that do also have carbs like nuts, you really need to invest in a carb counter.

DameFanny Tue 13-Nov-12 19:49:39

Oh this its getting complicated now!

Thanks MsR thanks

Brasssection Tue 13-Nov-12 20:04:40

Hi, sorry to break it to you but it is v. v. difficult, especially without tofu. I was on the low carb bootcamp thread and still duck in very now and them. I had great advice there and followed the diet to the letter but I gained over 3 weeks and I eat bit of fish. The problem is that pretty much all veggies contain carbs and as a vegetarian it is v. hard not to eat lots of them when you can't fill up on meat etc... But it is possible if you are inventive and careful. I've swapped to Zoe Harcombe which allows for some carbs. So far, so good and weight is finally coming off. She was a vegetarian for a time so gets how we eat.

There was another thread on this not long ago so have a look and guse luck.

I am trying lower carb rather than low carb. I have a smoothie with whey protein from breakfast, only half a sandwich for lunch, with cup-a-soup and fruit, then a dinner with as few unrefined carbs as I can manage. I'm losing a steady 1-2 pounds a week, which is a healthy loss.

So for me, the answer is to cut down on the refined carbs and carb-heavy food like bread, pasta etc, and stick to the protein-heavy foods, even if they do contain carbs.

DameFanny Tue 13-Nov-12 20:26:38

I hate being told things are hard! Next you'll all tell me I'm a fool for thinking I can hand sew a leather laptop case <eyes sheet leather nervously
>

bluebump Tue 13-Nov-12 20:28:52

I found it quite hard, I lived on eggs and veggie sausages!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now