Getting healthy and losing weight through the power of MOTIVATION

(965 Posts)

Motivational Monday - where we are motivated to stick to our diet and exercise plans for the rest of the week.
Progess logged on Kato's spreadsheet (if you want to of course)
grin

reastie Mon 21-Jan-13 11:46:38

Well done on the loses and maintaining. Somhow I've managed to lose 1 lb this week which is great. I'm edging closer to wearing my pre preg clothes.

Lots of snow here, well, quite a bit. At least 5 inches. I spent about an hour this morning clearing the snow from the drive and car. Lots of digging and sweeping snow around so feel like I've had a workout. School where I work is open today (although it's my day off) but sounds like from the emails that most students aren't in and lots of staff struggling in. Dreading driving in this tomorrow but needs must I guess. DH has a snow day from work so is looking after DD whilst I crack on with making curtains for the spare room, which has meant I've been too busy to think about eating - result!

Hair good luck with the strict week - sometimes I find that does really help get me back on track.

north well done in the snow walk - I'm sure you burn extra calories walking in snow too as it makes your legs work harder

steppemum Netherlands Mon 21-Jan-13 11:47:13

morning all! Well done Tober - last belt hole (in my very distant dreams)

Very excited, weighed in and I have lost 7lbs!!! Very much loosing lots as just started, but very encouraging, tummmy definitely has less of an overhang.

Only problem is I ate a lot of chocolate to celebrate blush

had to call in at doctors, so I put on my new (present from my mum) shape up trainers and brisk walked/bounced in between the icey bits. Then brisk walked home (up hill) so feeling good.

I had a really busy week last week with cleaning and decorating, and sledging, so I think I burnt off lots, without hitting the gym, which is my kind of exercise!

KatoPotato Mon 21-Jan-13 12:48:48

Morning All!

Well done on all those super losses! I'm still sticking with a Friday weigh-in.

reastie that's simply amazing! high five!

northender Mon 21-Jan-13 14:40:26

Well done everyone! I've come to the conclusion this is just a really hard time of year. I started off so well with my walk, but then felt really down about money as the car is in the garage. It's been there for 5 days now while they try to figure out what's wrong with it (every couple of days it gets air in the fuel line which stops it from starting). Of course, since it's been there, it's been starting ok hmm. I just know that if they can't find anything, as soon as we get it back it'll do it again or if they do figure it out and fix it, it'll be really expensive.
So the upshot is, I felt fed up and raided dh's Christmas chocolate stash grin and sad. However, on the plus side, I did get a fairly small amount and limit myself to that.
Will try to stay focussed on the weigh in tomorrow for the rest of the day.

Hmm, might have yet another source of motivation.

See thread here

Do not want to be the fat girl squidged into a climbing harness lol grin

Tobermory Mon 21-Jan-13 17:29:23

steppe ! 7lbs is amazing! Well done!

Feeling a little despondent and cross with myself. We made choc chip shortbread today as part of our snow day activities, I was so good cutting up te chocolate. Wasn't really tempted to sneak a bit which is unheard of. They came out of the oven and I just couldn't help myself. All that talk of first taste went out of the window. But god, they tasted good!

So I've shredded to try and burn off shortbread calories.

steppemum Netherlands Mon 21-Jan-13 22:31:51

thanks Toby, just hope I can keep it up, not feeling nearly so motivated this week.

After my good walking this morning my knees are killing me. I haven't had that for years, so don't know what that is all about

I've got a job interview tomorrow - eek!

Afterwards I am going to go to my favourite restaurant for lunch, but am going to be very good and look up the nutritional stuff beforehand and choose wisely smile

KatoPotato Tue 22-Jan-13 12:33:56

wow, that's great news LV is it a job you're excited about?

What's the restaurant? Can I help you fantasy meal plan??

eightytwenty Tue 22-Jan-13 13:08:18

Good luck lv. And well done everyone. Seems all doing ok.

I had an active weekend with 2 trips sledging, so lots of walking back up the hill. Though finding it v hard to keep to my pre xmas rules - of no midweek chocolate, only healthy snacks, no mid week pudding. Went to see les mis on Monday and munched my way through 1/2 tub popcorn and yesterday ate a small slice of Xmas cake and then a load of Thornton chocolates (which I don't even like). Also failed to shred last night, though ds1 wasn't back from cubs till 9 and I just didn't have it in me then.

Made up for it today with 4.5 k run (/ walk/ collapse), and thanks to clever Nike run ap, know that I did it in my fastest time.

Pre run w/l 1 lb
Post run w/l 2.5lb

Think I'd better believe the former!

northender Tue 22-Jan-13 13:10:33

Have stayed the same this week and feel really sad sad about it. Apart from yesterday I felt I'd had a really good week. Am at work now, will catch up later.

Kato, I am actually quite excited - it's a media sales job, so not what I trained in, but kind of related! The restaurant I'm going to go to is this one I always went with my boyfriend, so time to make my own memories of the place I think. Plus I love it! The good thing is, I'm never tempted by dessert if I have a starter. Just need to pick decent, healthy food haha!

eightytwenty Tue 22-Jan-13 13:57:54

Job sounds good lv.

Northender don't give up! In my experience wl / gain are not always linked to the week that precedes a weigh in. Sounds like you're doing the right thing with making better choices and moving more. Are you tracking food cals to keep an eye on portion sizes etc. A lot of use/ used my fitness pal for a while to get us on track for our 1200 cals a day. Am not using it now, and am certain I am over on cals most days. But also am exercising a lot. If only I could do both I'd be catching up with imst! As it is she overtook me months ago.

That said seeing 11.3 on the scales (my lower of the two weighs today) did make me realise that I am getting close to the tens. That will feel like a victory as it will be the first time (I think)) since leaving uni.

KatoPotato Tue 22-Jan-13 14:00:45

eighty I'm only just starting to 'screw the nut' and get back to pre xmas ways, and can top your cinema trip, we went to see Les Mis and scoffed my fair share of a large salted popcorn, malteasers and skittles!

north don't despair, a maintain is still an achievement, and I've have given my right arm for a maintain rather than last weeks 3lb gain! (apros pos of virtue and everything!)

LV best of luck! I've always found the best media sales professionals to be those who are friendly - and remain friendly even if I say no! I do believe it can be very pressured so appreciate that but if you can throw in a line in your interview about remaining positive even if you don't close that sale, the client is far more likely to engage with you in the future! - My receptionists have a list of 'cheeky bastards' that I refuse to have put through!

That menu makes my sad lunch even sadder! - Not sure how motivational this is, but I'd say sod it and get whatever you fancy! Garlic bread with cheese, coleslaw, chips.... <droool>

KatoPotato Tue 22-Jan-13 14:06:13

Agreed, if i'd kept up with my diet and exercise together I'd be far lighter! But you know what? I'm fitter than I've ever been in my life, have toned arms, core strength (blushes) finally look acceptable in underwear (yes I've been checking myself out!) and am bursting with energy.

But at the same time I've eaten hundreds of stuff I love, had nights out and not been a 'diet bore' with my friends and family!

I think a few treats and off days make it more achievable to me, and If I've had a blow out (and I mean a blow out!) It motivates me more to counteract it with exercise!

Hope this doesn't sound boastful, I just need to motivate myself a little!!

eightytwenty Tue 22-Jan-13 16:14:47

Kato I am so with you. Albeit no core. And underside of arms still a bit wobbly despite hours of "pulling" in the pool.

But, and its a big one, exercise is so built into my routine, and I prioritise doing it in a way I have never done before, that I think I will be able to continue with the wl and then maintain it when it's gone. I don't want to be on a diet forever. I want to be fit. And slim. And I want you guys to stay on this thread for ever. I do believe we've given each other support over the months which has helped us stay with it.

Right, have decided if the snow stays away, I'm going to swim Thursday, skate Friday.

Apparently my on-ice posture has improved lots, yay! And it'll help my core muscles because I've got to balance myself on 2 (sometimes 1!!) bits of metal and do seemingly impossible movements haha!

Now, can anyone tell me good exercises to "open" my hips? I have no flexibility in my hips at all and it's making certain skating stuff difficult.

eighty that's a lovely thing to say!

Everyone sounds like they're doing really well this week. Lots of victories and positive thinking. smile

I've been doing well so far. No snacking and I haven't had a biscuit yet this week.

Lollipop well done and fingers crossed for your interview. Also when I used to dance, I used to watch tv at night sitting on the floor with my legs straight and as wide as they'd go without hurting. I then leaned forward and rested my head on my hands, elbows on the floor. The trick is to lower your head a bit and stretch your legs a bit wider every night. You will soon be able to sit in the splits with your body flat on the floor.

reastie Tue 22-Jan-13 18:28:26

Right, forgotten everything I was going to say now as you've been chatting too much when I was at work!

lollipop hope the interview goes well. Job sounds v interesting. Can't help with hip opening exercise afraid.

Well, huge boost for myself today - I've been at work wearing PRE PREGNANCY SKIRT AND BOOTS <cheers> . This is a major thing grin . In August I was a size 22, today I wore size 16 skirt OK it was a little tight but who cares . This means I am getting closer to fit in my whole pre preg wardrobe! I know it sounds a bit odd mentioning boots, but they are the type that go to just below my knee and they have refused to do up with my fat legs up until now. I had a spring in my step at work today and I'm hoping it'll spur me on to keep working hard now I know my initial goal is in sight.

reastie that's fantastic!! What a victory. I know you were trying so hard to get into your pre pregnancy clothes. I bet you looked fab today. smile

MilkshakeMaker Tue 22-Jan-13 19:00:29

Blurghhhhh I've had such a pants, pants week, WI on monday was up 4lb and Its still not spurred me on to get my arse in gear. I think I've got the January blues...sad

I've decided to stir things up and try the 5:2 diet for a month. Will still post/lurk on here if thats cool? I'm starting tomorrow as if I dont I will continue to binge.

Well done everyone, I've not read from where I left off but the recent posts are packed with triumphs! Hopefully I can add my own soon!!

Tobermory Tue 22-Jan-13 20:42:51

Reastie- wow! Congratulations on your wl so far. Fantastic!

LV - lots of luck tomorrow with your job interview.

eightytwenty Tue 22-Jan-13 21:34:16

Inspired by reastie.

I can now fit comfortably into size 12's (us!) banana republic skinny trousers from 10 yrs ago. And my size 4 white stuff (before they got regular sizes, but I think 16) are too big. In fact I have had a major trying on session tonight trying to decide what to wear for work event on Thursday. All my size 16 trousers are too big! V satisfying. But could also be expensive!

steppemum Netherlands Tue 22-Jan-13 21:41:39

well done reastie and eighty, can't wait to fit in to something one size down.

good luck LV

I'm coming out the other side of fitting into old stuff. All the clothes from the back of the cupboard are now too biggrin. I'm putting off shopping until I know what size I'll end up, at this rate those gap jeans I bought in November will actually fall down, I can already take them off without undoing them. I would like to end up a size 10 by this summer, didn't think that was even remotely achievable when I started this last summer when I was straining size 18 !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now