Which app to help an overweight novice begin running?

(13 Posts)
snozzlemaid Sat 03-Nov-12 21:46:53

Which is the best app I can get on my iPod touch to help me start running? I'm very overweight and have thought before about running but have been so put off by the idea of running out in public. But I have just been given a treadmill which we're going to set up in our garage, so I really want to give this a go now.
I want to try one of the couch to 5k ones but there are just so many to choose from.
Thanks.

sliceofcakenowplease Sat 03-Nov-12 21:51:45

I don't know about apps, but if you are worried about running in public, can I reccomend Parkrun. I was mildly overweight, have now definitely slimmed down. There's a group of good runners, but there's also a group of people like you/me trying to becoming healthier. Most people will start off walking- in fact that's practically a must first time- and, if you're like me, work up to jogging. No one cares what you look like there.

Sorry, can't help with app.

juneybean Sat 03-Nov-12 21:52:14

I use RunDouble and it's quite good but a bit robotic.

stickylittlefingers Sat 03-Nov-12 21:52:22

www.active.com/mobile/c25k Hi snozzlemaid I use the Coolrunning c25k plan to take beginners running. So I don't use the app myself, because I am busy shouting at them when to start and stop, but some of them use it for the runs they do on their own. I hope that makes sense!!

juneybean Sat 03-Nov-12 21:54:08

Ooo hello Sticky! Go check out the Durham Xmas Night out thread! grin

stickylittlefingers Sat 03-Nov-12 21:58:20

www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/moxiebin/bm_tools.cgi?print=181;s=2_3;site=1 this page shows you what it involves. I would recommend running by time rather than distance when you are starting out, and go slowly, because it's about building up your endurance. Also don't look ahead, concentrate on the week you're on.

The first week is always hard, as your body gets used to running. Make sure you stretch! You will soon get into it I'm sure, and there's a great sense of achievement when you run for 30 minutes for the first time.

Once you've got yourself going do have a look to see if there are groups to run with in your area - RunEngland's site for example will list groups run through them. There are loads of beginners groups and it does make it easier running with other people. And more fun and more sociable too!

Best of luck, hope it goes well.

stickylittlefingers Sat 03-Nov-12 21:59:22

I know I know Juney, Indith's messaged me about it but I can't find the actual thread - where is it? <am good at making people go running but totally useless at IT>

juneybean Sat 03-Nov-12 22:00:03
stickylittlefingers Sat 03-Nov-12 22:12:43

terribly sorry for slight hijack there snozzlemaid If it makes it up to you, can always rely on me to be enthusiastic about running, can talk about it for hours wink so if you want someone to witter about trainers or paces etc to, I'm your woman!

snozzlemaid Sun 04-Nov-12 00:18:53

That's ok sticky. I know where to come for advice then. Thanks for info already given.

I used a combination of 5K runner which was a couple of quid but allowed me to play my own music and the nhs podcast which has not so great music but lots of motivation!

TheDailyWail Sun 04-Nov-12 19:46:26

I second Parkrun as a practical way to measure your success. Good luck!

giantmouse Mon 19-Nov-12 19:09:22

Hi!
How about Streetquest? Really funny app for runners, its a bit game-like. Im using it for a while and i can tell that is good with rising up my motivation, plenty of achievements are making running exiting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now