2lbs a week for 35 weeks- anyone in?

(287 Posts)
theowlworrier Wed 24-Oct-12 16:03:24

I have a pretty big move coming up in just under 9 months. want to be at my ideal weight by then. This will involve losing a minimum of 5 stones (70lbs). I have come to the conclusion that doing a crazy all or nothing weightloss plan isn't going to work for me. what ordinarily happens is that I lose loads to begin with, then it all goes to pot and I put it all back on again.
So... would anyone like to join me. My first target is 10lbs by the end of november. I will just be eating lower carb, less snacking, more exercise where possible (7 mo dd and dh who works shifts, so a bit of a challenge sometimes!).

theowlworrier Thu 25-Oct-12 12:32:12

238. The shame. Not my heaviest, but not far off... Today's goal: no snacking at work. This will be difficult, but will have a salad and yoghurt for lunch, and i don't know what for dinner. I will worry about that later. Protein bar for breakfast when i get to work!

SparePants Thu 25-Oct-12 14:20:16

Onlyaphase I'm sure it makes the WW leader laugh too (all the way to the bank...)

I like this pounds rather than stones business. Makes it seem more achievable somehow.

BikeRunSki Brazil Thu 25-Oct-12 14:23:46

Buggery blx. Half a pound on this week, that makes me 13st 13lb, or 195lb. Ah well, I had a good time at DD's birthday party last week - cake and champagne.

OohMrDarcy Thu 25-Oct-12 19:41:18

weighed in today and I was right, starting point 226lb

love that everyone likes my logic - its only good because to work it out I'd have to really want to know and open my calculator on my phone etc.... CBA with that!

AyeWhySWIM Thu 25-Oct-12 20:27:27

Hi sorry I've not been back before now, been having a hectic week. Howling - tbh I think SW is as good as any other 'diet' if you bother to stick to it. Thought that was a brilliant comment by SparePants and so true - I was really only a member by virtue of paying my money and starving myself a few Tuesdays so I could turn up to the Wednesday class feeling like I'd tried blush.

I do think that if I was going to try a group again that WW would be the one for me as it's easier just to have to count everything. On SW it seems that there are loads of free foods. Which there are. But the things that join them together to make meals have to be counted and I never quite got my head fully around Syns and Healthy Extras etc. What I would really like is to make sustainable changes to the way I feel about food and not have to be working things out all the time. So I've decided that the way forward, for now anyway, is just to try my very best to make healthier choices and get through each day one meal at a time without losing the plot! Babysteps! I just feel like i'd be kidding myself to launch into some big plan or strategy right now.

Well, Onlyaphase, you do sound a lot like me - including your wardrobe! Though I trump your 215lbs as have just weighed in at 231. My heaviest ever sad sad sad.

Do any of you have any good tips for getting your mind into the zone? I know all about health reasons, really don't like the way I look right now but somehow the temptation of tasty food always wins me over and I hate that!

theowlworrier Thu 25-Oct-12 20:31:42

Hmm. I always find diong a good proper shop and stocking up on what you need (making a list) is a good way to start. I also don't buy any junk because I will just eat it. Usually in one sitting. Leaving work early today to drop by supermarket and pick some stuff up, too. Also having stuff in the cupboards means I am less likely to get to 7pm and think I can't be arsed going to get ingredients, I will just get takeout/ a pizza/ whatever and more likely to actually cook.

theowlworrier Thu 25-Oct-12 20:32:21

That didn't make a huge amount of sense. I mean the shopping thing gets me in the 'zone'.

Onlyaphase Thu 25-Oct-12 20:42:25

Like theowlworrier to get in the zone I'm going to purge the cupboards of binge food, and only get decent food at the supermarket - I don't mean I plan to live on steamed carrots, because this clearly won't work for more than 3 hours, rather that the junky sugary food can stay in the shop and I'll get more meal-type food than snacks.

I'm also going to eat more spicy food, as at least I know I've eaten something then rather than bland pappy food.

To avoid the pitfall of snacking continuously from 5pm I'm going to plan supper in advance and prepare what I can earlier. Ideally I'd bung something in the oven and then leave the kitchen until it is ready as hanging round the kitchen leads to picking at whatever I can find. Having a stew or whatever hot and ready means I'll eat that rather than pick for 30 mins and then eat supper.

AyeWhySWIM Thu 25-Oct-12 21:18:57

Shopping well really does help, I must prioritise the time to do this. I also tend to pick from the time I get home and make ds' tea. My real issue is that I almost knowingly sabotage myself on a daily basis. As in buying rubbish at the petrol station or supermarket when I call in for things. I will also binge on just about anything in the house, nothing is out of bounds.

Anyone else just feel that there are so many points in the week that just become inextricably linked with eating...and drinking? Friday night means takeaway, wine and ice cream. Saturday night is cooking a nice meal and more wine. Sunday, well how can I make healthy choices when it's the weekend...and after Friday and Saturday what's the point?! I also have one weekday when I don't work so that day usually involves treats of an edible kind. Then the night before that feels like a Friday so there we have pretty much the whole week. Argh! I feel like I just can't get on top of this!

MrsLHofstadter Sat 27-Oct-12 22:09:01

Chinese, red wine, x factor...oh dear wine

OohMrDarcy Sun 28-Oct-12 08:51:50

Rosé, Chinese and x factor here... I did get out with the kids for a nice walk too though ... <oops>

NewNames Sun 28-Oct-12 10:15:00

I've just eaten half a dozen mini croissants. I am starting tomorrow! Wondering if i should join a gym or something. Even if what i do doesn't burn oodles of calories i find exercise helps me do the healthy eating and vice versa.

I will report back as I go smile

ijustwanttobeme Sun 28-Oct-12 18:49:22

Aagh, have had a weekend eating nothing but crap, so will start again from tomorrow.

I might be able to redeem myself and lose 1lb ( fingers crossed) by Thursday's weigh in.

This is when I think fuck it, I'll never lose weight. But I must try harder as am now at my heaviest non pregnant weight ever! And that's almost two stone more than my ideal sad

MissNJE Mon 29-Oct-12 23:40:53

I am def in. I put one five stones in the last five years without a lifestyle change. I have just been diagnosed with PCOS and I am on medication now and the weight is finally coming off. I am weighing 180lbs at the moment and I would like to lose at least 50lbs.

juneybean Tue 30-Oct-12 00:09:44

Ooo I'll join, I was 235 on Thursday last week!

MrsLHofstadter Thu 01-Nov-12 13:48:27

How has everyones week been?
<hides>

juneybean Thu 01-Nov-12 13:58:40

I've had a bad week but only put on half a lb so am now 235.5 gah!

MrsLHofstadter Thu 01-Nov-12 21:35:20

I've had a not trying, eating what I want when I want week and stayed the same. Must try harder next week.

juneybean Thu 01-Nov-12 21:38:08

I saw another group on here have a nifty google spreadsheet to record every one's weigh ins, I have no idea how to go about setting it up though

MrsLHofstadter Thu 01-Nov-12 21:59:43

Ooo which group? I'll go have a sneaky look.

juneybean Thu 01-Nov-12 22:03:07

I think it was the low carb little black dress group, they just started a new thread so I saw the link in the OP grin

Can I join? I lost about 50lbs before my 40th, and put it ALL back on and more. Am about 215 and size 18 is too tight blush

Just had 2 Crunchies after dinner and am on a night out tomorrow, trying not to get derailed before I even start!

215 lbs not 215 years of age!

juneybean Thu 01-Nov-12 22:15:03

Welcome OnThe smile

MrsLHofstadter Thu 01-Nov-12 22:41:32

Come on in OnThe, love your name by the way. Derailed before even starting sounds all too familiar, I'm sure you'll fit in well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now