Myfitnesspal.com support thread 5

(990 Posts)

A shiny new thread for existing users of mfp and for anyone new who would like to join us for support, bottom kicking and general chatting smile

Old thread here

BumBiscuits Sat 02-Feb-13 09:33:46

high-five! Got those requests and impressed with your losses. Great work.

I had a boozy Friday with the husband topped off with a kebab.

My average for the week is just slightly over the 1200, so I'm not too down about it, I just need to have a healthy Saturday/Sunday.

I have lost since I started this time but my starting weight is the one from last year, so I still have quarter of a pound to go to get back to that.

I'm a terrible weigher, I can't help myself if there are scales about. I'll weigh myself several times a day. I know that it is daft but there you go.

I've never thought about doing it 10lbs at a time. I just think of the stones and stones to go. I'm going to do 10lb targets from now on.

Oh balls, just remembered I pinched a slice of DH's pizza last night. blush

BumBiscuits Sat 02-Feb-13 09:34:15

Does it have calories if it is stolen grin?

BumBiscuits Sat 02-Feb-13 09:43:36

lissy, 5:2 is a plan where you eat normally for 5 days and "fast" for 2 days a week (non consecutive). The fast days you are allowed 500 cals.

The idea is you eat normally and don't go overboard on your "normal" days. By the end of the week you should have a deficit to your TDEE and therefore a weightloss.

There's lots more about it on the 5:2 threads and the bloke who "invented" it has a book/website and did a webchat on mumsnet the other day. There is some science stuff about how it is healthier and you will live longer apparently but in my mind is seems more sustainable than 1200 day in day out and people like me with a lot to lose could do it for the long haul.

My idea was to do 500 on a Monday and Wednesday and on a Tuesday, Thursday and if I'm not out a Friday do 1200, then just eat what I want (within reason) over the weekend.

I still need MFP to track though. It has changed since last year and the App is fantastic I think. I love scanning stuff to see how many cals. I stopped myself the other day from having some chicken tikka sticks (bought for the kids) because they had loads more than I imagined. I had a chocolate orange segsation instead at a measily 33 cals!

It's a nice idea I think to be able to eat within reason what you want 5 days a week but I think I'd be so grumpy on 500 calories! I wake up hungry most days so couldn't skip breakfast. Perhaps you get used to it? I was never below 1300 on mfp and now I'm maintaining I get 1700 but I am quite active. Hope you enjoyed your kebab BumBiscuits smile

BumBiscuits Sat 02-Feb-13 10:53:05

Yeah the 500 days might be tough.

I thought I'd give it a go starting next week and see how I get on. If I'm doing 1200 all week then blowing it on a Friday blush, I'm not helping myself much. I can quite happily just have coffee in the morning at work, our works canteen is crap anyway. I have an M&S nearby for a salady or soupy lunch and I can do a tuna or veg chilli on a bed of cauliflower rice for a v. low cal evening meal.

BumBiscuits Sat 02-Feb-13 10:53:51

Kebab was lush grin

Lissyfrog Sat 02-Feb-13 11:13:53

Bumbiscuit x defo doesn't count if stolen and if u have yr eyes shut !!! smile Kebab is only meat and lots of salad oh and the bread x

Don't think I could do the 500 cal thing especially as I can't earn any more cals with exercise at the mo x

BumBiscuits Sat 02-Feb-13 11:26:19

I'm just going to experiment with it, I've no idea how I'll cope with 500. I'm hoping the thought that I can do what I want on a Saturday...eg drink a bottle of red then fancy a kebab without it having a bad effect on my weight loss.

WiseKneeHair Sat 02-Feb-13 20:03:57

Welcome Bumbuscuits I'll add you onto MFP. Good luck with the 5:2 plan. I'm intrigued by it, but I don't think it's for me. I'm enough of a grumpy old woman without fasting myself. I'm losing ok amounts at the moment (almost 8 lbs in four weeks), so if I can continue a steady weight loss, I'll carry on as I am. If I stall then I may think about it, although I am concerned about it triggering a binge.

essexmumma Sat 02-Feb-13 20:53:34

Ok so I am going to to finally stop lurking on this thread and be brave...I joined MFP nearly a month ago as I have a lot to loose and after two children in the last three years I need to be healthy for them and myself. I have never succeeded before but instantly found myself being able to use MFP and getting good results (3.8 kg gone so far).

I was really in a different head space with it and rather than being on a diet it was teaching me about portion control and true values of food. However the last 2 days I seem to have lost motivation and am desperate to get it back - I am still within my calorie goal but not eating as well as I was and less active. I keep thinking (hoping) its just cause AF is here but I don't know. Any tips? I really want to keep goingblush

BumBiscuits Sun 03-Feb-13 01:32:27

hey essex [waves] I'm new too. My tip is if you have a bad day brush yourself down and start again tomorrow.

Lissyfrog Sun 03-Feb-13 05:22:30

Welcome exssexmumma !!! Me to lurked b4 joining this week and its the best thing I did as all these guys have added me to MFP and it has really helped chatting to the others and looking at their diaries to get new low cal ideas x what's yr name on mfp and I (and the others I'm sure) will add u x don't know y but find it easier to talk to the guys on here or on MFP rather then friends and family x

I also find it easier to weigh in lbs and not stone and aim for 10 lb at a time x I had a bit of a wobble yesterday and nearly caved in to a take away x BUT I posted a comment MFP and the guys were there to give me the kick I needed x happy days x

In case u r all wondering y I'm up at this stupid time AGAIN ! (And here comes the rant) DD has woke me up from clubbing NO front door key ! Despite me say b4 she went out "have u got a key?????? :-s Made loads of noise banging about. Then burst in my room to tell me she has lost her iPhone and all her bank cards driving lic somewhere between the kebab shop taxi and home !!!! Bloody kids x I feel the hob nobs calling sad

She phoned kebab shop they say they have the boy on CCTV taking her phone so she and her friend have now gone off in a taxi to look at film !!!!! Hence I'm wide awake now worrying with no way of contacting her x and no don't have her friends number.

As they get older the worry get worse !!!!!

Sorry rant over and no I'm not heading for the biscuit tin smile x 1st weigh in (back on it) on mon and getting a bit excited x how sads that x

Chopstheduck Sun 03-Feb-13 07:07:58

Is dd back yet, Lissy?

Welcome to all the newbies, I've only been on MFP 3-4 weeks, but finding this brilliant!

I weighed in a day early this week. It's the superbowl tonight, so planning some game food, and will be pretty much an all nighter so I won't be weighing tomorrow! I have been good all week though and I'm going to try to earn some calories so I don't go too far over!

Chopstheduck Sun 03-Feb-13 07:10:06

Essexmumma, I've had hungry days too, just keep going and log everything, and it will come back. I'm due AF any day, and find it really disheartening being all bloated and weight been up and down for the past few days. Exercise does seem to help me a bit though - lifts my mood and stops AF being too heavy. What are you doing for exercise?

RGPargy Sun 03-Feb-13 10:12:49

Hi guys! Bookmarking again!

Ps - DP and I are booked in to see a nutritionist on 16th feb and she will write out a food plan to suit our individual needs. Hopefully she can get me back on the food wagon, altho I would like to be on it way before then as its a long way off til our appointment!

Hello and welcome to the newbies. Feel free to add me on mfp - same name as here. smile

Lissyfrog Sun 03-Feb-13 10:29:52

Morning all x
Yes chops she came back about 6am as they had to wait for an hour for the manager to come so they could view the film x as luck would have it she rang me whilst waiting to let me know what was going on so I wasn't sat worrying. Surprised she thought of her poor old mum heading for the hob nobs x
As it turns out she left it on the counter and a boy did pick it up but gave it to her x flim shows her walking out the door with it in her hand. So she either dropped it outside or in taxi x that will teach her to get blotto without taking her mum lol x

All cards cancelled and she thinks she has insurance with her bank so watch this space x

Lissyfrog Sun 03-Feb-13 10:31:25

RGPargy sorry meant to say just added u x

Dizzydora71 Sun 03-Feb-13 10:38:26

Hello to all the newbies add me on Mfp if you like same username as on here x I've weighed in today and lost 3lbs so I've lost 13lbs in 4 weeks :-).

I don't look forward to those day Lissyfrog!!

I always find af makes a huge difference to how much junk I want to eat essexmamma!! I would suggest you don't have loads in the house but treat yourself to something you like or it's not sustainable. Well done for staying in your calories though smile

Well done Dizzydora71

BumBiscuits Sun 03-Feb-13 12:30:34

That's fab, dizzy. Well done.

Hi everyone. Well done Dizzy. I have added you.

Fast day tomorrow.....arrrgh!

essexmumma Sun 03-Feb-13 14:01:12

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and support! I haven't really discussed this outside really so it's great to have the support on here. Just reading your messages has helped alreadysmile

I hate the gym so I have started off by just walking 3 to 4 times a week with the buggy and doing an exercise DVD. Am waiting for 30 day Shred to arrive from Amazon too so I have another option. I guess my weight has meant really low confidence and therefore find exercising alone easier right now- although I would love to join a class once my weight reduces and I feel fitter. Does that make sense?!

My username is 'mummaessex' on MFP. So the reverse as on here.

You all seem to be doing so well and I think having smaller mid goals may really help. Losing nearly 4kgs so far means I am loosing 2lb per week so far roughly, which is great as then it's steady. My 1st goal is by my birthday in 12 ish weeks I will have lost 2 stone. Then by July I will have lost 4.5 which is my half way point.

Thank you all againsmile

Chopstheduck Sun 03-Feb-13 15:45:36

glad she got back safely, lissy!

Lissyfrog Sun 03-Feb-13 19:06:46

Thanks chops x

Just added u Essex x

WiseKneeHair Sun 03-Feb-13 21:58:37

Hi Essex we all have days that we find more difficult, but that's where MFP really helps. If you log in and say "help! I want it eat my body weight in chocolate" lots of people will be there to give you support. I'll add you as I like shouting at people when they are at their weakest
Well done dizzy great loss in a short period of time.
Lissy that sounds like a complete nightmare. My eldest is only 11, so I have a few years before I have to worry about boozy nights out. Although, I suspect they will be here before I know it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now