Myfitnesspal.com support thread 5

(990 Posts)

A shiny new thread for existing users of mfp and for anyone new who would like to join us for support, bottom kicking and general chatting smile

Old thread here

It's not cheeky at all Lissy. I set myself an original target of a stone and having just got there, I would like to lose another stone. Really before starting my ideal weight loss would be 2 & a 1/2 stone, but I like setting more manageable goals and targets, so having reached my first target, I will aim for my next, which is another stone IYSWIM. It keeps me going that way.

Nooneelseisallowedafergus Thu 31-Jan-13 09:37:11

lissy the 30 day shred is a workout DVD. It has 3 20 min workouts and promises fab results in 30 days. Can get from amazon, and read reviews on there.
My target is to get a 26 inch waistline. So will keep going until I have that. At a guess, I would say I need to lose 10lb.
I've added you on MFP.

BoraBora Thu 31-Jan-13 09:40:01

Finding it really hard. 0.4lb in two weeks. I'm struggling on 1700 cals and it looks like I'm going to have to drop a lot lower to consistently see any results sad

Lillabet Thu 31-Jan-13 09:46:04

Help!!
I've used MFP for a while but 3 months post partum and I have no motivation at all for losing weight. I want to be a skinny minnie but have no enthusiasm for eating super healthy and portion control. I would really appreciate some ideas for motivation and feel free to add me on MFP, I am Lillabet76 on there smile

gobbymare Thu 31-Jan-13 09:49:52

yes lissy same boat as you i am wanting to lose around 7 stone too.

Chopstheduck Thu 31-Jan-13 10:00:52

Lissyfrog, yes this week, been really working hard with the exercise, though my knee is protesting about it all. I've also been trying to drink the 8 glasses of water, and that seems to really help a lot.

I had over 4 stone stone to lose when I first started, now aiming for 3 more stone, though I'd ideally love to love 4 more and get back to 12 stone which was pre twins. (I'm nearly 6ft so 12 stone is actually very skinny on me, size 12)

Chopstheduck Thu 31-Jan-13 10:01:45

sad Borabora, can you fit in any more exercise instead? A half hour brisk walk can burn nearly 300 cals.

BoraBora Thu 31-Jan-13 10:07:07

I am walking an hour a day, but it just makes me more hungry. 30mins only burns 110 cals.

Chopstheduck Thu 31-Jan-13 10:15:03

when I put in 30 minutes at 4mph it comes out at 260 for me, might be because I am fatter wink

DoubleMum Thu 31-Jan-13 10:24:48

Lissy I have a whole person to lose too, but am trying not to think about that or I'd just give up now.

BoraBora Thu 31-Jan-13 11:00:51

No, it's because I put in 2.5mph not 4mph. Isn't 4 mph practically running?

I've got to be careful as I have a prolapse which had resolved but came back because I started running too soon sad. I live in a very hilly area so physio said I need to walk steadily down hill (to reduce stress in my pelvic floor).

WiseKneeHair Thu 31-Jan-13 13:02:22

Well done Chops
Welcome Lillabet I'll add you on MFP.
Lissy I wanted to lose 2.5 - 3 stone.I've lost 7.something, so I'm 20% of the way there grin. I reckon it'll take me 8-10 months.
Bora what about swimming? Would your physio be happy with you doing that? You have lost 0.4lbs in two weeks, but how much have you lost in a month? That is more accurate. Also, have you measured yourself as that can show inch losses when you don't see weight losses and that's what we are all really after, rather than a number on a machine.

BoraBora Thu 31-Jan-13 13:14:22

Thanks wise. I can't see how much I've lost over the past 30 days as I'm on my phone and it's not clear.

Swimming would be brilliant but it's not going to happen as it takes up quite a lot of time, and DD would need feeding. I could only go evenings, and DH doesn't get home til 7pm, etc so it's not really feasible.

Well done on the 4lb Chopstheduck! And enjoy your break especially as it's a prize smile

Hope it goes well LittleAbruzzenBear, it's not an easy day!

I lost 5st 10 Lissyfrog, my aim was to get a normal BMI. I was 14st 13 and it took me 6 months to get there and another 2 to settle at weight where I was happy. Personally I didn't break up my loss into smaller targets but I know it helps a lot of people. I was just happy to be losing and didn't focus too much on how much I had to go. It took 3st before anyone notice, even my mum and then everyone noticed and still are! Try to think that every lb lighter you are is a bit healthier.

Sorry you're finding it tough BoraBora, I found the first three weeks I was hungry but after that the lower calories were much easier to stick with. It's a shame you can't walk more briskly. Is there a friend who could take dd to the pool so you could feed before and after your swim during the day? Could you express so dh could feed her if she wakes while you're out in the evening? I run after mine have gone to bed so 8-8.30 at least once a week and although it does take some willpower to get out it does mean I can have a guilt free run.

No advice I'm afraid Lillabet other than until your head is in the right place I don't feel that you can lose weight. Something has to give, you either have to cut out junk, reduce portions and amount of junk or get more active or it just won't happen. Is there something particular you can aim for? To be in a certain dress, to be x weight by x date because there's something coming up? Some people use a photo on the fridge to remind them why they don't want to take that piece of chocolate out and eat it. I removed most sweet things from my house when I started and slowly increased them but my head was definitely in the right place to lose weight and was determined I wasn't going to stay as I was.

Chopstheduck Thu 31-Jan-13 14:40:48

I think it is very true about your head being in the right place. It's like a switch for me, but once it goes off it is sooo hard to get it back on! Now it's on, I'm loving it, happily stuffing salad and fruit, just hope it stays on!

BoraBora Thu 31-Jan-13 14:43:47

Nope, no friends locally, and if madam would take a bottle it would make my life easier in MANY ways. Looks like I'm gonna have to suck it up and drop the cals!

Hi Lillabet, I've added you.

I agree with Cinnamon. Before now, my head hasn't been in the right place to lose weight sensibly, but something has clicked and MFP has really helped me. We're all a helpful, friendly bunch and supportive.

mrsnec Thu 31-Jan-13 18:50:33

Just marking my place as This thread dissapeared. Hello to all the newbies. Very interested in what's been said about targets. I have one major target but am also breaking it down into smaller goals too. Ultimate goal is Topshop size 12. First goal is to get below 90 kg for example. Also agree about head being in right place for me it was my Doctor and some family members giving me a kick up the backside. I hated it at first but then realised it was for the best. Putting the health aspect over everything else has helped me and I've not cut anything out but make better choices.

WiseKneeHair Thu 31-Jan-13 22:14:36

Bora you'll get there. It may be slower than some, but ultimately, that is the best most sustainable way of doing it. When I was losing weight and bf (I did SW), I lost slowly, often only 1/2 lb per week and this was with greedy DS2 who once put on 1lb in a week when he was about 4-5 weeks old!
Chops I agree your head needs to be in the right place. I'm focused at the moment and finding it relatively easy, but I know sooner or later I will hit a difficult patch. That's when MFP will be really helpful. I've had the odd wobble and it's helped enormously already. I often post I'm going to do something to ensure that I do actually do it!

Lissyfrog Thu 31-Jan-13 22:23:23

I find I do better if I weigh in lbs only. So I aim for 10 lb at a time x works for me x

Lillabet Fri 01-Feb-13 11:03:07

I have a random target of 9th August to be in a size 10/12 and around 10 stone (7 to lose); it is entirely arbitrary, it was a heavily pregnant statement DH suggested I should stick to. I have had no enthusiasm but actually I do walk at least 9 miles a week and most of our meals are healthy, I just struggle with portion control (partially because when I follow the correct portion size I am still hungry and I end up pigging out on bad stuff). I want to go back to the gym but DD is only 3 months and ebf and I don't seem to be able to make it work if that makes sense confused. Thanks for all the adds on mfp, I am hoping you can all help me kick my fat ass into gear and help me make it a small one grin. Think I'll give 30 day shred a go too, see if it motivates me (if it doesn't kill me first!) grin

WiseKneeHair Fri 01-Feb-13 15:09:06

I have an interim target of 1.5 stone off by 4th April as that is when we go on holiday. I'm 1/3 of the way there, so it is potentially doable, we'll see.

BumBiscuits Fri 01-Feb-13 15:54:30

Hi, I'm new to this thread but have been MFPing for a couple of weeks. Lost last week, gained it over the weekend, and back on track this week-ish.

I'm positive I'm going to start with 5:2 on Monday and try it for 2-4 weeks to see what happens. If it makes me murderous I'll go back to my 1200 a day.

I think the idea behind 5:2 is that the calories consumed at the end of the week will be much the same as if you stuck to 1200 a day (that's my allowance) but because you're only having 500 twice or three times a week, you can cope with the odd meal out, weekend party.

I am 185 lbs and would like to be 125 (5'3").

I'm 51tolose (that was my name last year grin I should really change it) on MFP if anyone wants to friend me.

Oh I have a long history of dieting with varying degrees of success. My best loss was with WW (18lbs to get within spitting distance of target) in the days before Propoints, but I can't bring myself to do WW again.

I've also done SW (lost a stone first time, second time years later and different plan gained 6lbs), Scottish Slimmers (lost 8lbs to get to target), MFP last year (lost 11lbs then gave up), Paul McKenna (lost 9lbs before a holiday), Idiot Proof Diet, lost over a stone,

I am at my heaviest ever but have spent most of my adult life dieting. How depressing.

I want to do it for my health. My joints are suffering with my extra weight, I'm not a good role model for my daughters and I hate buying clothes, something that used to be a huge pleasure for me.

Lissyfrog Fri 01-Feb-13 18:18:46

Welcome bumbiscuit x I've just added u x what is the 5:2? New to this thread this week x I'm 247lbs and 5"7 so have loads to shift but as I said above take it 10 lb at a time otherwise I'd crack up if I thought how many stone I had to lose x

Just had my 3rd back op in 12 years so HAVE to stick to it this time x did do mfp this time last year and lost 20lb in 3 months. Unfortunately when I started a jogging program it resulted in this last op which I'm recovering from now x like u I have tried every diet going and they all work IF u stick to them, which is where all u guys will give me a kick when I need it x it's working so far x I just can't do any fitness things at the mo so finding the 1200 cals hard without earning just a few more for snacks x as I'm flat on my back for the next 4 weeks bored bored bored x but chatting to u all is really really helping x so big big thanks to all who have added me this week x and let's keep on trucking !

[high fives *BumBiscuits] Yay! Someone else on MFP doing the fast! I'll add you. I am MrsDomini on there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now