Myfitnesspal.com support thread 5

(990 Posts)

A shiny new thread for existing users of mfp and for anyone new who would like to join us for support, bottom kicking and general chatting smile

Old thread here

Lissyfrog Tue 29-Jan-13 22:45:32

Changed my nickname so it's the same as mfp one x

Lissyfrog Tue 29-Jan-13 22:49:11

Changed my nickname so it's the same as mfp one x

RGPargy Tue 29-Jan-13 23:03:10

Hi guys!!

Just bookmarking! smile

HeavenlyWineandRoses Wed 30-Jan-13 04:38:27

Thanks to everyone who has added me on MFP. It's so motivating to see everyone's updates and receive your comments. I was out for breakfast yesterday and chose the porridge because I'd have felt terrible recording the usual cooked breakfast or almond croissant in my diary. As it was, my porridge used up almost half my cals for the day which was pretty shocking.

My DH thinks I'm making a mistake doing MFP and SW. Anyone else doing both? I have paid up-front fr 12 weeks of SW. I don't like the group therapy aspect of the meetings but do find the weigh-ins motivating and have lost 8 lbs since joining three weeks ago [proud face]. It would probably make sense to do my 12 weeks with SW and fingers crossed when I get to my pre-pregnancy weight, I can use MFP to maintain. The only thing is I am fully addicted to MFP now!

Confitdecanard Wed 30-Jan-13 05:42:39

Hi all, just checking in on here. I am addicted to mfp - tend to just make my comments on there mostly. My weight has gone up and down since my teens but so far this has been my single most successful attempt at losing weight in terms of pounds off per week. I wish I had discovered it sooner. Feel free to add me.

Morning everyone.

I know what you mean about porridge Heavenly, but it is always recommended by dieticians/doctors etc as it is slow release food. You are doing well with your weight loss so I wouldn't worry.

I couldn't find anything close to my dinner last night on MFP so I had to put in individual bits that were closest to it. It may have been a few less cals/the same/more.

Chopstheduck Wed 30-Jan-13 06:57:30

well done Confitdecanard.

HeavenlyWineandRoses, why does hubby think it is a bad idea? Plenty of people are using MFP in conjunction with other things, because it gives you that extra support during the week.

I really really wanted a fish and chip supper last night, but I knew I'd have to put it on MFP, I'd go over my cals, and it would be public, so I made fish and chips at home instead, came in at 1200 cals and lost 2lbs this morning! I love MFP!

I do need to behave this week though - it's the superbowl this weekend, so will probably be a blow out on Sunday, with lots of game food, though will try to think of some healthy alternatives, and cut back during the day. with the time difference, it will be an all nighter too! DH and I are huge american football fans. It was partly down to eating American themed game food each week that got me in this position - corn dogs, wings, nachos, etc!

Nooneelseisallowedafergus Wed 30-Jan-13 07:21:54

I am back on track today, have been over on my calories for the last 4 days. But have still persisted with 30 day shred!. So just had my raspberry porridge, so no snacks until lunchtime........

WiseKneeHair Wed 30-Jan-13 08:37:50

Well done everyone.
heavenly I have previously lost with SW and after doing it for many years on and off I pretty much know it off by heart. I think it is good for promoting healthy eating and I try to incorporate that into my food plans. However, I think it is shocking at getting you to think about whether you are hungry or not and installing a degree of portion control. With all the "free" food, I used to just load my plate, regardless of whether I was actually hungry or not. Reading Paul McKenna's I can make you thin book really helped me with that aspect.
So, now I take what I think are the best of both. So, I try and have lots of healthy food, but my portions are probably a 1/3 to 1/2 less than they used to be.

DoubleMum Wed 30-Jan-13 09:38:18

I'm addicted to MFP too now I think. Am going to have to take the laptop away with me this weekend otherwise I can't log in!

Chopstheduck Wed 30-Jan-13 09:50:25

where are you off to doublemum? I'm off away at half term, and I know dh is going to get annoyed with me logging in each evening! grin

DoubleMum Wed 30-Jan-13 09:54:35

Just going to Oxford for the weekend on a nice deal. DH went to Oxford uni many moons ago and wants to show the DCs the Ashmolean and his college. Bound to be raining all weekend of course! Am going to try and direct them to Subway or Pizza Express (that low cal pizza) for lunch to limit my intake, and accept that dinner will be beyond much control.

bucksmum71 Wed 30-Jan-13 10:07:52

3llbs off today so well pleased - loving the Hairy Bikers diet cook book and MFP!

Chopstheduck Wed 30-Jan-13 10:28:36

well done bucks!

that sounds lovely doublemum. You could do Nandos for dinner? grilled chicken is pretty healthy and they do stuff like corn on the cob. Though with a weekend away you should be allowed a bit of a treat.

I think mine is likely to go totally to pot on holiday with poutine and breakfast buffets! It's also too snowy and cold in Montréal to go running, but the hotel has a gym so i will use that.

Is it worth just logging but not trying too hard to stick to calories so you don't feel too negative about things until you're up and about Lissyfrog?

I don't see why it's a problem HeavenlyWineandRoses, all you are doing is having a double check system and as far as I can see the points/syns are all related to calories anyway. I think if you are going to the groups then use mfp just to keep an eye until you've finished what you've paid for and then make a decision if you need those weekly weigh ins. I did slimming world with my mum when I was 16 and lost 3st, it worked well but I don't like the happy clappy bit afterwards and felt really uncomfortable having people clapping me because I'd lost weight. This time I started cutting down and then found mfp and found that that was enough for me to lose and maintain my weight. Husbands often feel the need to give advice on things and may not have any reasoning behind his advice? With the porridge it depends what it's made up with and how much you have, I probably halved my porridge when I started mfp but it still fills me up until at least 12 most days!

Well done Chopstheduck!! I usually just have less chips when we go to the chippy. I don't like fish batter so that helps too or I have a savloy smile

Have a lovely time DoubleMum! Can you not get the app on your phone? Also pizza hut do a lovely lower calorie pizza too.

Well done bucksmum71 grin

Are you off to Montreal Chops? How lovely!

Pinkglow Wed 30-Jan-13 12:04:31

Hi can I join - my names seapaper on MFA if you want to add me but I have added a few of you already.

I only have about 5 pounds to lose but its that last 5 pounds that I'm having real trouble with (lost 3 stone on WW previously) I started running over a year ago and I want to improve this so am trying to lose this last bit for fitness more than anything. Quite motivating to have a husband who doesnt have any fat on him at all as he runs and ride six miles to work everyday but not so motivating when he can just tuck into a pizza or whatever a couple times a week.

Hi pinkglow! 3 stone is amazing. Very well done. Apart from the support on this thread and MFP, it is realising how many calories I need to have, or not have, to keep losing weight. MFP has helped me with some meals where I look up the calories before deciding what to cook and/or eat.

DoubleMum Wed 30-Jan-13 21:22:16

That's brill Pinkglow!
Well done Bucks!
Chops I'll see if there is a Nandos there. We have dinner booked in the hotel as part of the package on Saturday night though, a 3 course affair.
Cinnamon I have a Blackberry and it is the crappest phone ever. Takes about a year to get an internet page, so haven't gone in for apps much.

WiseKneeHair Wed 30-Jan-13 21:54:05

All you lucky people having weekends away. I would say, if this is something unusual, rather than a weekly or monthly event, then go ahead and enjoy it, not worrying about it too much. This should be an eating plan for life, not just for January. If you can log food, I would just to keep it all in perspective and then back on the wagon on Monday. Alternatively, don't go and let me go in your place.grin
Welcome pinkglow that's a great loss. Well done. I'll friend you on MFP.

WiseKneeHair Wed 30-Jan-13 21:56:12

Oops! We're already friends. Almost inadvertently defriended you! blush

Chopstheduck Thu 31-Jan-13 05:57:10

morning girls

Yeah, off to Montréal for half term - I won it in a competition. Hoping to do some winter sports, and no doubt lots of walking, and hotel gym and pool, so will burn some calories and hopefully not put on too much. I'm not really a lazing around on holiday type anyway!

I've lost 4lbs so far this week!

Morning!

That's brill Chops! Losing 4lbs and winning the comp!

I am on a 600 cal day today. Skipping breakfast and hoping that what I think I will have for lunch and dinner will sustain me!

Lissyfrog Thu 31-Jan-13 08:55:13

Mornin girls
Sorry had lots of vistors yesterday x hence catching up now x
Chops - well done for the 4 lb is that in a week ?
Bear - good luck with the 600 cal don't think I could do that x
Cinnamon - get yrself an iPhone !!!! Loosing mine would b like having a missing arm or leg x
Bucks - would u recommend the hairy bikers diet book ? What type of meals is it x getting a bit fed up with what I'm eating x
Double mum - me to !!! Sooooooo addicted to mfp and even more so now I have lots of lovely new friends to help me on x don't know y but feel more on track with talking to u guys instead of my family and friends x
Noon - I'm new to this chat x what's the 30 day shred ??????

Lissyfrog Thu 31-Jan-13 09:01:36

Just wanted to ask x bit cheeky but how much do u guys wanna loose x just asking as I have about 7 stone to shift and I wonder if anyone else has nearly a whole person to get rid of????? Could get rid of hubby although he weighs a tad more then 7 stone x lol x only joking I'll chuck one of the kids out :-o x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now