Myfitnesspal.com support thread 5

(990 Posts)

A shiny new thread for existing users of mfp and for anyone new who would like to join us for support, bottom kicking and general chatting smile

Old thread here

Hi Missus! I'm MrsDomini on MFP and I haven't been on this thread for long, but everyone really friendly and supportive. I am not doing any drastic cutting out, but sticking to a couple of glasses wine a week and like you, had found it hard with carbs. I am cooking a chicken casserole in the slow cooker for tonight. I thinly sliced 6 small potatoes, not a lot, but there are a lot of carrots and broccoli and chicken in it. I will make the gravy fairly thick and butter some bread for DH and DS1 to fill them up, but I will just eat the casserole. If I really want a treat, I don't deny myself, but instead of cake (which I ate a lot of last year when pregnant!), I will eat a chocolate mousse/chocolate teacake or one oatcake with Nutella.

muddlingalongquitenicely Mon 21-Jan-13 15:07:27

Disaster weekend dare not enter anything on mfp. The local pub was too enticing! Have started again this week smile

Sorry your mum makes you feel like that LittleAbruzzenBear! My mum is bizarrely proud of my weight loss! We are pretty close but she rarely tells me I'm doing something well or she's proud of me, Particularly when it comes to my parenting- won't give advice but then critises quite freely! She has been on every fad diet there is going, slim fast, cabbage soup, cambridge diet etc etc but is never over 12st so not massive. I try to tell her that the reason she can't keep weight off is that she literally does nothing physically so she only probably burns 1500 calories a day and drinks quite a bit of wine but it goes in one ear and out the other.

A lot of people are doing 5:2 fasting days and it does seem to be long term f it suits you as you just drop down to one day. The idea is you do 2 days of eat only 500 calories and the other 5 you can eat what you like. Some are doing 4:3 too. Quite a few use mfp to track their calories on fasting days and I have read some interesting things about it but it's really not for me! Hopefully MackarelOfFact will be along in a bit as she's doing some kind of 5:2 using mfp although I don't think she's as strict on the fast days or as 'eat everything you like' on the feeding days.

Well done to lose losing! I got back under 60Kg since Christmas and have put it back on over the weekend, dh said straight away 'well you're on the blob aren't you so not surprising is it!'. I know he's right but I feel I have been more careful to put on weight for nothing, poxy hormones!

And I am most definitely not a low carber so I have no advice or recipes!!

BsshBossh Mon 21-Jan-13 16:30:23

Back on track today, phew! It's because it's a working week but also because, though I am not low-carbing, I ate more protein today which always keeps me fuller for longer and I snack less as a result. I ate baked beans on toast with grated cheese and ham for an early lunch at 11.30am and I'm still full!

PrannyHamster Mon 21-Jan-13 18:58:12

Lost 4 lbs this week! Yay!

BsshBossh- I totally agree that having plenty of protein and a bit of carbohydrate is the best way to stay full. I am eating beans and nuts galore!

WiseKneeHair Mon 21-Jan-13 22:05:10

Congratulations Pranny
Well done Bssh and muddlingalong for getting back in control.
Had a good day today, saved a bit of chocolate for a treat and still under. Shred is also going well.
Weigh day tomorrow, I'm expecting it to slow down now after two good weeks.
I don't low carb at all, I find I can stick to it so much better if I have a combination of carbs and protein and stick to low fat.

Chopstheduck Tue 22-Jan-13 06:52:50

Morning girls!

I def couldn't do those 5:2 things, I'd get so grumpy with dh and the kids on 500 calories. I try to low carb a bit, and eat more protein.

I'm getting really bloated for some reason, and constipated (hope no one is eating their breakfast!) It seems absurd since I'm eating healthier, and it's rather annoying! Last night, my stomach looked huge and I measured it and it was 3" bigger than it is this morning. This morning it looks like a partially deflated balloon! grin

mrsnec Tue 22-Jan-13 07:34:13

Morning everyone! Well done with all the weight loss. I agree I couldn't fast either or properly low carb but both work for some and the beauty of MFP is that we can try these things whilst still logging everything. I do read the low carb threads and have picked up ideas from there but couldn't go the whole way. The celariac chips and courgette carbonara sound yum. I also look at all low fat versions of stuff I buy and go for full fat if the low fat ones are full of rubbish. I picked up a WW sauce in the supermarket yesterday but put it back when I read the 2 main ingerdients were water and starch! Low fat high protien bit of carb less sugar and salt clean as poss loads of fruit and veg is the way I'm going!

Morning! I definitely think not doing anything drastic, but finding what works for a person individually e.g. Low carb, veggie or portion control. I am making a chicken curry for dinner tonight, but I will have a serving spoon of rice with it and maybe just one poppadom. I am used to smaller portions now and I don't have that grumpy, diet mood where I feel deprived, which I got with past diets. Courgette carbonara sounds nice!

karatekimmi Tue 22-Jan-13 08:03:32

I agree mrsnec I try to eat unprocessed as much as possible when im being healthy and it seems to make a huge difference in how I feel. I don't like low sugar versions as I'm not convinced by artificial sweeteners. I make a real effort up my fruit and veg.
I must say wit the 5:2 diet when they say eat normally for 5 days, I assume id have to "diet" on those days too as eating "normally" got me to over 15 stone!!

mrsnec Tue 22-Jan-13 08:26:00

I'd tried loads of things before. And lots of pressure from others too. I even had my DM and MIL arguing over my xmas dinner table over which diet I should be on! They're into WW and SW and I didn't like either. But I can pacify both of them by taking the info they give me like the books and mags and I'll try something if I see a recipe I like and it's on the MFP database. The thing that's made the difference for me when I have my big meal of the day I just fill my plate at least half full of veg first. I'd like to have lost more than I have but I've not gained during any of it so I'll keep going.

WiseKneeHair Tue 22-Jan-13 09:22:48

I think I agree with all the sentiments on here.
I lost lots of weight with SW several years ago and then put it all back on again! I like lots of things about SW, but I don't think it teaches you portion control. It was only when I have a brief go at the Paul McKenna thing that I had the lightbulb moment that I don't need to eat as much as 6'4", 16 stone DH! It sounds stupid and obvious, but previously I had been measuring out like for like portions of "free" food.
I've never calorie counted before and am enjoying it more than I expected.
I seem to be losing relatively quickly (for me) and I think that's because I am exercising as well.
I've lost 6.6lbs in 3 weeks now and am very happy at the moment. I'll need you lot when I hit that wall though! grin

mrsnec Tue 22-Jan-13 09:35:09

I have a DH like that too! And it's his DM that did the same with SW. They forget that I am over a foot shorter than him. And it's hard when he's still eating like he was and hasn't changed with me yet but I don't want to nag he needs to do things in his own time. I get very annoyed at MIL though when she looks at everything I eat and smugly tells me I could have had a massive plate of pasta and a hard boiled egg instead and not counted it! But I don't want to cut anything out or think of anything that was previously good as bad but I am counting absolutely everything which I hope I relax over in time. I'm being a bit silly I know I've lost about 11lb in a month but I would have liked it to be a stone. But perhaps if we take it slowly we may even avoid that 'wall' or at least that's what I tell myself. & DM is scary WW lady. Says in 20+ years she didn't see many people lose during totm which I managed last week so have to keep looking at positives!

Nooneelseisallowedafergus Tue 22-Jan-13 11:26:25

Just done my 7th consecutive day of jillian's 30 day shred. Very proud of self. But bejesus it is hard.

DoubleMum Tue 22-Jan-13 12:45:07

Well done noone and to all the losers. I don't think the 5:2 diet is for me. Fasting days would make me so miserable I'm not sure I'd be able to function well. I've done SW and lost a couple of stone, but stopped when pg and put it all back on and more. MFP is working for me at the moment but it's very very early days. At the moment I am able to say no to myself.

BsshBossh Tue 22-Jan-13 16:23:55

I can't be doing with most diets either. I understand the reasoning behind the 5:2 diet but I get miserable on so little food, become a bit obsessed with what I'm not eating and then fall off the wagon and binge to over-compensate. I do appreciate the low carb diets more as I love protein and definitely eat less over the course of a day when I've eaten a good amount of it but I won't give up bread, rice etc. I also live in a family that loves food - cooking, eating, devouring recipe books, eating out in new restaurants... I need to be able to eat anything...

Calorie controlling is my best way of losing - the fact that I can eat whatever I want but in smaller portions just makes sense to me and seems sustainable in the longterm. But because I'm eating fewer calories I feel the need to make those calories count ie healthier calories conveniently overlooks the empty pot of chocolate pudding.

jchocchip Wed 23-Jan-13 07:37:27

drinks quite a bit of wine but it goes in one ear and out the other visions of your mum with a bottle held to her ear grin
Marking place, I had lost you.
I've got back into the swing of mfp, just conscious that I've not been so active with all the snow sad

jchocchip Wed 23-Jan-13 07:38:53

Well done noone I must dust that dvd off if the snow continues...

WiseKneeHair Wed 23-Jan-13 08:57:32

Well done noone
I've been doing it throughout January and have definitely noticed a difference.
Lots of lovely losses around at the moment on MFP, which is great and very motivating.
I'm trying quinoa for lunch for the first time today. I'll report back later. grin

Chopstheduck Wed 23-Jan-13 09:20:41

Quinoa is niice, enjoy!

Morning all! I haven't tried quinoa either. Any fab recipes would be appreciated, I'm up for trying new stuff. I am finding this week hard with the snow, but trying to keep up the good behaviour! What is the shred that I keep hearing about on MN? It sounds frightening! confused

Chopstheduck Wed 23-Jan-13 11:05:27

the postie just delivered me 21 big bars of chocolate grin Milka bars with hazlenut, alpine milk, caremel cream, cream, happy cows (with white choc spots) and daim!

I gonna lock them up in the loft before they jump down my throat! grin

What a fab delivery to receive chops! I would love it if my postie turned up with a delivery of Hotel Chocolat salted caramels <<hopeful face emoticon>>

BoraBora Wed 23-Jan-13 14:22:38

I've just downloaded the NHS's change for life receipe app. It's bloody brilliant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now