Threads in this topic will auto-delete after 90 days.

Myfitnesspal.com support thread 5

(990 Posts)

A shiny new thread for existing users of mfp and for anyone new who would like to join us for support, bottom kicking and general chatting smile

Old thread here

Doogle2 Sun 20-Jan-13 12:01:17

Is everyone weighing in on a Sunday? I have my first weigh in tomorrow morning. I am concerned that I have probably only lost a couple of pound and everyone else has lost loads in their first week envy

mrsnec Sun 20-Jan-13 12:41:13

Well you wont know until you get on the scales!lots of people lose loads in the first week. It's a very individual thing. I've been doing this about a month and never lost more than 2LB in a week and I've got quite a bit to lose. Everyone keeps telling me slow and steady and they're right. But you may be surprised! I've lost about 11LB in total and don't feel any different but thats just me. I'll keep going though! Best of luck.

Dizzydora71 Sun 20-Jan-13 17:15:01

Hi everyone had second weigh in today and I've lost 3.5 pounds in total I've lost 8lbs in two weeks. Hoping everyone else is staying focused and good luck :-) xx

Doogle2 Sun 20-Jan-13 19:38:08

Well done Dizzy smile

Natbulmer Sun 20-Jan-13 20:04:07

Hi everyone! I'm Natalie and I'm a SAHM of one. I'm using MFP as part of my new years resolution to lose weight, the motivation being that I'm sick of not being able to buy nice clothes, being unhealthy, being unfit and basically shortening my life span. Got a long way to go but I'm fairly determined! Lost 7lbs so far and weighing in first thing in the morning. Feel free to add me! grin

WiseKneeHair Sun 20-Jan-13 21:46:26

Well done Dizzy, that's great going.
Doogle some people haven't lost at all in the first week, but did when they preserved. Some have lost mega amounts. Did you measure yourself as well? Sometimes when you don't lose weight, you lose inches. I lost 2.5 lbs both my first and second week. I am due to weigh again on Tuesday and am not expecting to lose that much this week.
Welcome Natbulmer well done with the 7lbs, I'll add you on MFP.

BoraBora Sun 20-Jan-13 21:59:13

Grr, does anyone else hate not being able to change the day your week starts in MFP? I like to weigh in on a Friday morning, have my treat meals over the weekend and balance the books over the course if the week. So hard to do when MFP runs Monday to Sunday!

WiseKneeHair Sun 20-Jan-13 22:04:08

It doesn't bother me, tbh.
I guess you'll have to start well and give ourself some leeway for the weekend. Might his work better, if you get into the habit of thinking, right I've got this many extra calories left for the weekend, how shall I spend them? Rather than trying to play catch up all week.

BoraBora Sun 20-Jan-13 22:31:59

I've tried it in the past and it doesn't work as well tbh. I find it keeps me on the straight and narrow during the week, plus I then know what I've got to make to, rather than having to pre-calculate to see whether I can "afford" something. Takes some of the joie de vie of of it for me smile

Doogle2 Mon 21-Jan-13 07:51:03

First weigh this morning. Lost 2lb. Not a mega amount but going in the right direction. Spinning class this afternoon!
Good luck to all those weighing in today.

MrsBucketxx Mon 21-Jan-13 08:03:12

Does anyone know what hppens when you reach your goal weight?

You wont be needing to cut so many calories no?

OneTwoOrThree Mon 21-Jan-13 08:17:31

MrsBucket - if you adjust your MFP settings to maintain your weight it will give you an increased calorie allowance. I like to know what this figure is, so that if I have a 'naughty' day I can take some comfort that although I was over on cals for weight lossI may well not have eaten enough to go into the weight gain zone grin

I assume that as we all lose weight the calories required to maintain our lighter bodies will reduce too. Hopefully not by too much!

Yes it does OneTwoOrThree, mine is now 1760 a day. I have it set to lightly active which would give you more than sedentary. I think it's interesting considering the amount for a woman is always stated at 2000, this means I would gain reasonably quickly with an extra 250 calories a day if I was eating at the governments recommended level!

MrsBucketxx Mon 21-Jan-13 08:47:11

I have got 7 pounds left to lose, I'm on hardly anything and its quiet tough, I'm sticking with it though.

Perhaps decrease your weekly loss a little so its not so tough?

WiseKneeHair Mon 21-Jan-13 09:59:03

Ell done doogle 2 lbs is a great, healthy weight to lose.
MrsBucket when I lost weight last time with SW, my last 1/2 stone took me ages. I would lose about 0.5lbs every other week!

2000 calories is a lot isn't it! My daily target is 1420 calories and I usually come in under that. All depends on activities though. My Mother keeps telling me I should fast two days a week. hmm

WiseKneeHair Mon 21-Jan-13 10:10:33

I've just looked at what MFP says I should eat to maintain and it is 1850 calories! It seems a lot, but is quite reassuring. I've not been anywhere near that even when I've gone over.
Little why on earth should you fast twice a week? Sounds utterly unsustainable to me.

My Mother is obsessed with my weight and phoned me yesterday to tell me some article in the Daily Wail was about two day fasting and it works and if I want to lose weight I should do it. She gets cross with me not being interested in these fad diets, but I think I'm doing it the right way. It is frustrating and upsetting at times.

karatekimmi Mon 21-Jan-13 10:37:33

There was some guy on bbc breakfast who had done this and had a book to sell I think there is a thread with people who do this.

I'm sure it would get results, but how does it work long-term? I'm not good with anything that is a diet. I have to make sure I am active, keep to my calories (or under) on MFP and it is slower, but more sensible IMO. The way my Mother carries on though you would think I'm massive, I just need to lose 1-1.5 stone and tone up. DH thinks I look great the way I am, bless him.

DoubleMum Mon 21-Jan-13 13:02:57

Isn't Heston Blumenthal doing the 2 days fast thingy?

Must have talked it up, but the chap who has a book to plug is doing a live MN chat this week.

Elainey1609 Mon 21-Jan-13 14:11:44

Hi ya everyone
Well doe for all ur weight losses youare doing great
Welcome to all the newbies, this really does work well and fewl free to add me my user name is Elainey1609

littleabruzzenbear I think ur doing it the right way aswell...most of rhe fad diets do work to start with its the maintainig thats hardr..the way ur doing it the weighg will stay off

Well done dizzydora another weight loss thats fantatsic

doogle2 that is a great weight loss to start with...remember slow and steady wins the race .

Had my second weigh in this morning 2lb loss very pleased...thanx for the support again on mfl couldnt do it without you

Hope you are all enjoying the snow days. Have a good positive week

Ambassadoryouarespoilingme Mon 21-Jan-13 14:19:55

hi, please can I join you?
I've been MFP'ing for a while now, and my name on there is MissusOh. I reckon I have about 2 stone to lose to be in the right levels for BMI. I lost 1.5 stone last year low carbing, but I don't find it easy to sustain LC long term, along with cooking for small kids and a ravenous husband who needs a carb-laden meal at the end of the day.
I need a bit of encouragement to keep on the straight and narrow, even though I know I feel much better when I eat clean and lose pounds. With two kids who don't sleep too well, i find the hunger levels the next day are much worse.
Am trying to eat fairly LC but with a few little treats,within the 1250 cals I get on MFP. Any tips for meal ideas are much appreciated.
MissusOh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now