Myfitnesspal.com support thread 5

(990 Posts)

A shiny new thread for existing users of mfp and for anyone new who would like to join us for support, bottom kicking and general chatting smile

Old thread here

Chopstheduck Thu 10-Jan-13 13:20:34

I don't tend to eat my exercise calories. (This is my first time with myfitnesspal, but I did used to use a similar site before.) I just kinda see exercise as cancelling out the calories I DID eat. At the gym I could burn 1000 cals, and I'd eat the 1500 or whatever I was allocated, so I lost weight pretty quickly! I lost 3 stone before, but moved gym, stopped exercising at all and slowly piled it all back on. sad Hoping to lose it again before the summer.

I think so long as you eat what you are supposed to, not eating the exercise cals won't be undereating.

BoraBora Thu 10-Jan-13 13:43:58

I hear you, but then burning eating 1200, and burning 500 in exercise and not eating them can't be good RE breastfeeding? If I wasn't breastfeeding it's be fine, but I'm really concerned as she's only 10 weeks old!

Chopstheduck Thu 10-Jan-13 13:46:43

I'm really not an expert in dieting while bfeeding but I would have thought you should be eating the 1200, and the 500 for bfeeding, but not the exercise cals.

Just seen you are ebf. Are you expressing during the night?

Chopstheduck Thu 10-Jan-13 13:48:55

i really sympathise too, I had a voracious appetite while bfeeding, and I'd find it really, really difficult to diet while feeding!

Dizzydora71 Thu 10-Jan-13 13:50:21

Been doing Mfp 3 days and already my portion size is being reduced . I'm feeling full quicker.

BoraBora Thu 10-Jan-13 14:11:22

No, she feeds two or three times at night - I don't express. Does that make a difference?

I guess I'll just have to stop eating exercise cals. Seems it would be easier to not eat BF cals and to not exercise!

Chopstheduck Thu 10-Jan-13 14:14:21

she is feeding from the breast or milk you expressed earlier in the day?

ebf - expressed breast feeding, yes? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? smile

BoraBora Thu 10-Jan-13 14:18:44

Ah, no - exclusive breast feeding smile

Chopstheduck Thu 10-Jan-13 14:33:08

ah I see - so you should be burning quite a lot of calories then. I'd just try to not eat the exercise calories.

I used to sit next to the fruit bowl feeding my twins and could demolish 2 or 3 pieces by the time they finished! Better than chocolate though, I suppose.

BoraBora Thu 10-Jan-13 14:50:01

I think if left to my own devices, I'd be eating about 2000 cals a day. I know that's loads, but honestly, I had my lunch at about 1:30pm (soup with two thick pieces of wholemeal bread) and I'm stomach rumblingly hungry now sad.

So I know I should go out this afternoon with the pushchair, but being hungry and tired, knowing that I wont even be able to eat the exercise cals means I just can't be bothered to. Its terrible. I don't know how to get over the hunger. I know 1700 is a lot, so why am I so hungry??

Chopstheduck Thu 10-Jan-13 15:47:48

Is there something else you would find more filling? I tend to eat shedloads of vegetables or salad when dieting to fill up. Things like fish with stir fried vegetables. You are hungry because you are feeding, no way could I have managed on 1700 while feeding. I had crab on a huge bed of samphire with coriander and chilli for lunch with a bread roll. I'm getting peckish now, might have a banana to tide me over.

smithy100 Thu 10-Jan-13 15:49:56

Not looking forward to the weekend alway rubbish and diet doesn't even get into week 2...any ideas for family dinner sat and sun night before we end up with take away. I might start my own wk end support thread anyone interested? smile)

Nooneelseisallowedafergus Thu 10-Jan-13 16:16:10

Borabora 2000 cal a day is not loads, it is normal esp if you are breastfeeding. Are you v overweight? It might be worth asking your gp some advice. I think if you are exercising and ebf you prob need to be eating all of the allowed calories, not missing out the ones gained by exercise iyswim.
I would ask someone prof to be on the safe side. Like I said before, eat little and often to stop your body going into 'starvation' mode and clinging on to every calorie you give it.

Weekipper Thu 10-Jan-13 16:28:39

BoraBora I totally see where you're coming from. I've got 12kg to go to magical goal weight or 8kg to get to prepregnant weight. My LO is 21wks so thought it was time to drop the weight. I went with MFP Suggestion of 1200 + 500 call for breastfeeding and I log all my activity so eat my cals from buggy walks etc. but I keep going way over my limit after dinner. Starving just now confused

Chopstheduck Thu 10-Jan-13 16:49:40

smithy100 - I struggle with weekends too!

DH and I are NFL (American football) fans, and usually make loads of american style junk food and sit down to watch the game. Last week it was corn dogs and wings! I'm planning pizza one day - make my own dough, roll it very very thin, top with tons of veg, not much cheese and serve with salad.

BoraBora Thu 10-Jan-13 17:03:10

Thanks every one for the support. If I was just being greedy I'd accept it (you know, that feeling you get after dinner when you're not hungry, you just want some chocolate - actually, I get that too!) but I'm hungry hungry! That'd be fine if I'd just lost a bit or
stayed the same, but putting 2lb on suggests something's not right. If I'd just stayed the same I'd say sod it, I'll lose weight when DD's a bit older, but I'm terrified that if I'm putting 2lbs on on a week where I'm starving, how the hell much would I put on when I'm not? hmm

My scales are a bit dodgy, it has to be said. Maybe ill try measurements.

I need to lose 2.5 stone to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight of 10.5 stone (I'm 5'8"). So a stone off would get me to a BMi of 25.

I haven't had a period since giving birth yet.

Chopstheduck Thu 10-Jan-13 17:06:16

If you that hungry all the time, it really doesn't sound right. My scales are dodgy, so I weigh every other day and sort of keep an eye on the averages! I can get a variation of 4lbs every time I weigh, so I pick the middle weight. Very annoying!

Nooneelseisallowedafergus Thu 10-Jan-13 17:37:54

Borabora, me again! Get the gp to check your thyroid function.

rockinmum Thu 10-Jan-13 17:59:21

Can I have some myfitnesspal friends please? My name on there is sezkamcc am determined to actually use it this time too. Starting couch to 5k in the gym on Monday and 30 day shred alongside it smile

WiseKneeHair Thu 10-Jan-13 21:17:50

Hi Newbies
Welcome and I've friend requested you on MFP.
BoraBora sorry you are struggling. I wonder if you need to eat MORE? I know it doesn't sound right, but you will need lots of extra calories whilst BF and if you have gone too low (and 1700 when BF is low), you may be going into starvation mode. The other thing is to look at what you are eating, I'm not an expect but obviously some things keep you fuller for longer. In general, protein is better for carbs for this.
Also, preserve because if you have been good this week, and continue to do so, chances are you will see a decent loss next week. Please don't give up and remember we are all here to support each other.

Confitdecanard Thu 10-Jan-13 21:33:50

Hi all, I'm loving mfp although craving some chocolate tonight! Borabora - I was really really hungry all the time when I was ebf. I also found lack of sleep made me really hungry. It's tough losing weight at the best of times so go easy on yourself.

karatekimmi Thu 10-Jan-13 21:45:11

Hi all,
Back to mfp now it's January!! Back to work in feb 8 months after having mini karate, and I need to not have to buy an entire new wardrobe!!!
I'm also shredding.

Feel free to add me, same nn as here!

Chopstheduck Fri 11-Jan-13 07:18:35

Morning ladies!

I'm wondering what everyone does for exercise. Before, I've always had the gym, and would cycle there, work out for 60-90 mins and cycle back (7 mile round trip). I REALLY don't want to fork out for the gym again. I've started the couch to 5k, I'm trying to cycle more instead of using the car, but I don't feel like I am doing enough!

mrsnec Fri 11-Jan-13 08:28:06

Chops, I'm no expert but couch to 5K and cycling sounds good enough to me!

clarkykitten Fri 11-Jan-13 11:14:24

Hiya, I am completely new to MFP, using as a way to maintain my current weight and to try and eat a bit more healthily (it really helps me to log the foods I've eaten to stop me pigging out!)

Can I just ask a really basic question? I have logged my breakfast (porridge made with skimmed milk, coffee with sk. milk and glass of pure o.j), and it has taken me over my sugar limit for the day already! So far every day that I have done MFP it has done this, so can I ask if everyone is the same? I eat home made foods, no biscuits/cakes at the moment, so don't understand why my sugar is so high/the sugar goal is so low? TIA smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now