Myfitnesspal.com support thread 5

(990 Posts)

A shiny new thread for existing users of mfp and for anyone new who would like to join us for support, bottom kicking and general chatting smile

Old thread here

Groovee Tue 08-Jan-13 08:49:20

Morning all

Finding eating hard as I am on antibiotics which need me to eat for each tablet which is 4 times a day. Finding it hard to have the right amount of food to stop me feeling bleurgh.

But not as hungry as I once was.

But how do you add people via their username? Mine is only letting me add emails or facebook.

mrsnec Tue 08-Jan-13 09:36:47

Hi, I've been on steroids for the past 2 weeks and have had the same problem. Taking them with milk and not water was the answer for me. Well done for staying on track. It's even harder when you're on medication or not at your best health wise I think.

I was hungry for most of the day for about 3 weeks when I first starting cutting my portions and snacks but from then your stomach and body is used to it. I now can't eat as much which helps me maintain weight,ayne better for those bothered by being hungry to reduce calories more slowly.

Go to email and when you get there it gives the option of username as well as email Groovee smile

WiseKneeHair Tue 08-Jan-13 14:04:35

May I join?

I've had the MFP app for a couple of years, but never added any friends or really used it.
I need to lose about 2.5 stone and have lost 2.5 lbs in the last week, so a start I guess grin
I'm also shredding and on a support thread on here for that, but think I need some eating support too.
My username on MFP is HappyKite. I don't have any friends at the moment sad, so if anyone would like to friend me, I would be delighted.
i'm going to go through this thread and copy all the names, so expect requests! hopes someone accepts my requests

Wise I haven't found how to add anyone, but feel free to add a fellow billy-no-mates! I'm TheLazyGirl on there grin

WiseKneeHair Tue 08-Jan-13 14:55:17

I've got 3 friends already grin
Thank you. don't know how to use the site yet, but I'll learn.
FOFF, I've sent a friends request.
I've been clicking on the find friends, then e-mail button, then at the top one of the options is "Find Members", if you click on that, one of the options is putting in the username you are looking for. I do think it's not particularly user friendly though.

OneTwoOrThree Tue 08-Jan-13 15:15:23

Nice to see it getting busy on here
- old faces, and new ones (feel free to add me on MFP - same name as here).

I've now done a full week and lost 4.5lbs so am delighted. Tough week ahead with two nights out (dinner and drinks). I don't get out much so want to have something nice and enjoy myself. I'm thinking about trying to 'save up' some calories from earlier days (like you can on WW) to offset the damage, as well as being semi-sensible when I'm out. Wish me luck!

I'm finding exercise difficult to fit in - not easy with two young kids and dark nights. I've been thinking about getting a fitbit, but not sure if they're any good. I think / hope it would encourage me to be more active with the kids (which would be good for then too!). Has anyone got one? Would you recommend it? Are they any good for 'proper' exercise (ie running) or are they more for 'general activity' (ie walking instead of taking car etc).

Groovee Tue 08-Jan-13 16:46:56

Thanks found it now x

damppatchnot Tue 08-Jan-13 21:56:37

I have been trying to lose the weight gained by having three kids in four years last one at aged 40 five years ago but as tall and naturally slim build
I have never been motivated.

I'm a choc/ fizzy drink addict and my father is terminally ill with bowel cancer

As I suffer with severe constipation I have really started to think about my health and found MFP which is changing my life. I currently weigh 12 stone and am 5 9. I liked to get to 10 stone but what has been remarkable has been seeing how unhealthy my eating was and just days into the plan
I'm already feeling changes ( especially bowel ones shock) and feel better for it

My calories are 1200 and I'm finding it easy so far!

DoubleMum Tue 08-Jan-13 22:12:18

Hi, may I join? I'm on the other thread on Chat too, and on MFP I have the same user name. Just started today and lots to lose.

damppatchnot Tue 08-Jan-13 22:16:36

Just sent you link double mum!

damppatchnot Tue 08-Jan-13 22:19:29

The only trouble I find with MFP is that after 3 meals a day and plenty water if I still have calories left I eat a bar of choc!

I suppose that's cheating grin

WiseKneeHair Tue 08-Jan-13 22:24:27

Well, day 1 of properly using MFP over. Thank you, you nest of vipers, for friending me.
I'm amazed at how little some of you eat! I managed to stay under my calories, but only after exercising grin

It's not cheating damppatchnot that's why I love calorie counting if you're sticking to your calorie limit it doesn't matter how you make them up. As long as your realistic about portion sizes of your 3 meals

damppatchnot Tue 08-Jan-13 22:48:55

Oooo great! Yes I had bran and banana breakie, grilled chicken salad for lunch, bag grapes and loads water and not that hungry at tea so dry fried too lean pieces bacon with a tomato and had on dry toast

Feel v full now and still under 1200 (well just 1 grin)

Fredstheteds Tue 08-Jan-13 23:25:20

Find it great way to track food

Morning
Thanks for the tips on when to excercise cinnamongrey. I am managing the daily bike commute after two weeks off and I will get out tonight for swim/gym when DP is cooking
Good luck all

lunar1 Wed 09-Jan-13 09:37:08

So glad ds1 is back to school today. 3 miles walked already for the school run and another 3 at pickup time.

Hope to get a workout done from the Davina app too

I agree with cinnamongreyhound about portion size.

When we started I got kitchen scales with weigh from 1gram, a set of cup measures and measuring spoons so I can weigh everything so we are eating the correct portion size.

OneTwoOrThree Wed 09-Jan-13 16:16:29

I posted yesterday about fitbits, wondering if I should get one... (thanks to those who replied on MFP). I just wanted to let you know that there is a deal on Groupon today for the fitbit one, in case any one else is thinking about getting one smile

Choccyjules Wed 09-Jan-13 18:11:14

Hello, new convert to MFP here, on day 8 of my, um, project!

Having been slightly dozy in denial about my start weight last week, my weigh-in today didn't look great. Should've been a pound more and let's face it, this stuff is hard work at the beginning so I need the encouragement. Does anyone know how to alter weights inputted, I can't seem to find a way? Thanks

JeewizzJen Wed 09-Jan-13 18:28:56

Hello everyone... can I join in please? I've just signed up to MFP. I've done WW in the past quite successfully (many years before having a baby!) but could do without spending the cash so thought I'd give this a try. Since having my son 18 months ago I've still not managed to shift the weight I gained from all the cake despite still breastfeeding all hours of the day it seems! I'm hoping to lose about 2 stone in all.

Was hoping to add some friends in MFP if people don't mind?

Welcome JeewizzJen and Choccyjules, mfp is a great way to lose weight and so far keep it off smile feel free to add me, same name as here. I have no idea how to remove weights you've already entered I'm afraid sad

Hiya all just a public information post for any 'restarters'! If you're frustrated because you're losing weight but it's not showing in the updates or on your profile, it may be because your original weigh-ins were lower than your current weight.

To track your current progress accurately, go to the website not the app, look at the weight chart. You can access a list of all your 'old' weigh-ins.

Delete the ones from your last time using MFP.

For me, it was because DH started using the app last June, I logged in to look around, entered my then current weight and promptly proceeded to ignore reality & scoff choccies for the next 6 months blush Once I'd deleted that single number, it tracked accurately for me again! Far more motivating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now