JILLIAN MICHAELS (Shred/Ripped and all the rest) Part 3: Bringing our A-game [cheesy smile]

(1000 Posts)

Here is a new thread for Jillian Michael devotees!

Whatever JM DVD you are doing, come and check in here...
Any Insanity and Turbofire lurkers, come and join too!

Hello to all from the old thread and big welcome to anyone new, come and join us smile

gingercat12 Mon 14-Jan-13 12:43:17

Justheonemore I only ever do 30-40 minute work-outs during working days. We are all busy Moms. It works for me, but we are all different, and I still have a long way to go in terms of hard core fitness.

I needed to buy new T-shirts lately, as the old ones are fraying and much too big. Did you notice that you can only buy ones at he minute that leave nothing to the imagination. See-through and / or really tight. I ended up buying the Matalan ones, as they are at least cheap, but my God why do they think we all work in strip clubs? DH was kind and said I have a nice figure in them though blush. Thanks Jillian.

Gingercat, I hear you! I hate fitted stuff, and exercise gear in particular for just that reason. I therefore tend to exercise in old t-shirts and yoga type trousers!

Congrats on your 6W6P quest, your abs must be awesome <said in US accent!>

Justtheone I was also doing S&S until my back went wrong. You will definitely get results doing the levels individually. I think the aim is to work up to the full hour, but don't worry if you don't have the time. Your body will obviously change quicker doing both together, but will still change if you don't!

My excuse is lack of energy rather than time to do both levels together blush I will work up to that once I'm better again I hope...

Must get back to work, I'm still not back into the swing of it after xmas and keep getting sidetracked!

MissTFied Tue 15-Jan-13 00:02:27

Hello all,

Three steps - sorry to hear about your back, must be really frustrating.

Off work this week so I am trying to do extra Julian. Did BFBM followed by NMTZ! I am rather pleased with myself and parts of me are still buzzing even now. I realise where my weaknesses lie though and that's with strength. I enjoy NMTZ, but it def challenges me more than BFBM. Will have to up my game there.

Still have RI30 to conquer, but it's not grabbing me as much as the above. I will finish it though.

Well, showing off done wink. Night night all!

themaltesecat Tue 15-Jan-13 03:31:28

MissT, there I was feeling all smug about getting up at sparrowfart to do NMTZ, and you've gone and done that AND BFBM. Might have to work it in before bed somehow... imagine how imagine out bodies would be if we did both every day?!

themaltesecat Tue 15-Jan-13 03:43:21

Whoops, shouldn't post after birthday lunch champagne. grin That should read, "imagine how amazing our bodies." I'm in New Zealand, by the way, hence the odd timings of my posts. Where's everyone else from?

threesteps hope your back is better! It is a horrible, powerless losing your fitness while nursing a nasty, debilitating injury.

gingercat YES about the exercise tops! Charity shops all the way for old men's t-shirts, I say.

PeggyO Tue 15-Jan-13 07:47:30

Sorry to hear about your back, threesteps - how frustrating for you. It's so tough being unable to exercise because of an injury.

gingercat, well done on all of your 6W6P-ing. I have been sideplanking with a weight! Only 1kg but I am still pleased, as my balance has always been a weak point for me. Tomorrow I am moving up to L2 6W6P after 10 days at L1 hmm I still plan to do the whole 6 weeks but since I have heard about how hard L2 is, I figured it might make more sense to move up now and give myself plenty of time to get to grips with it!

NoWay, good luck with your Shredding! You could probably drop a couple of sessions a week after you've completed the Shred, but if you want to maintain / improve the fitness that you've gained while Shredding you would need to try and keep up with that level of exercise as far as possible. You never know, you might want to keep going - lots of us have found exercise becomes quite addictive!

MissTFied, congratulations on doing BFBM and NMTZ - it's quite the double whammy!

CHST Tue 15-Jan-13 19:10:10

threesteps sorry to hear about your back...hope it heals soon!
MissT that is some feat doing NMTZ and BFBM together wow!
Peggy well done on the side planking and weights..sounds like your balance is improving!
themaltese am v jealous at your location. Sw england for me!

I started Chalene Extreme yesterday and really enjoyed it...it is slower paced than Jillian focusing more on form, high weights low reps. It has three weight days, a cardio day and an ab and stretch day I think so 5 days a week mostly 30 ish mins though the cardio is 45. Today was a rest day so I felt really antsy not doing anything. However with this sort of training, it is important to allow the muscles to recover so I will try and remember that!

MissTFied Tue 15-Jan-13 23:18:00

Hey you guys! wink. Cheers for the comments!
Just did NMTZ today with my new 2kg weights and yoga mat. My triceps are sooooo pathetic. The first circuit is my worst!
Peggy O - I love L2 in 6W6P, I much prefer it to L1. Hope you enjoy it too.
Themaltese - you ought to feel smug, posting as you are from NZ, guzzling champagne! grin Good for you though, getting up early. Not into that malarkey at all!

Went on a rare trip to the cinema this evening and wasted 2 1/2 hrs on Les Miserables. Oh when I think of all the Julian's I could have conquered in that time!

PeggyO Wed 16-Jan-13 15:58:15

Hello everyone - hope we are all wrapped up warm today! I went for a run earlier and it was so so cold. It definitely motivated me to keep running just so that I could warm up a bit and defrost my poor icicle fingers...

After my run I tackled L2 6W6P for the first time! I enjoyed it, and it wasn't as bad as I had feared. It felt like much more of a cardio workout than L1 which I liked. I didn't feel like I was really able to give it my all because I was trying to work out how to do some of the moves - what is with those lunge and passes?! I dropped my weight at one point trying to do those! Because of my balance issues the t-kicks were the biggest challenge for me. I'm already looking forward to doing it again tomorrow and am hoping that I will be able to get my head round all the new moves a bit more.

MissTFied, my arms are definitely my weak point too. I really want to start doing more strength training after 6W6P. CHST, Chalene Extreme sounds like exactly the kind of thing I want to do, but it looks like it's only available on Region 1 DVD. Boo...

Happy exercising all!

CHST Wed 16-Jan-13 18:10:25

Peggy does your dvd/blu ray player not play region 1? Some do, you can check online to see which. I use our second tv which does (the one in the living room doesn't. I also use my laptop sometimes though am a bit worried as you can only switch between region 1 and 2 so many times

MissTFied Wed 16-Jan-13 21:21:48

PeggyO - very impressed with your run then 6W6P. I know what you mean with those pendulum lunges. As I'm not very co-ordinated, they seemed impossible to me at first and I got huge bruises by bashing myself with my weight, but I got there in the end!

My goal is to have lovely lean, toned arms for this summer. I've always hidden them and suffered the heat, but this year I think I'm actually looking forward to summer coming. I WILL get those arms, I WILL!

Afternoon everyone!

MissT you will definitely have those lovely arms by the summer if you keep going at the rate you're going, it's brilliant to read! (Did you enjoy Les Mis? I don't really like musicals but this one has had so much hype, interesting to know if you enjoyed it...)

Well done Peggy for embarking on L2 6W6P, that is my worst level of my worst DVD lol! I haven't done it much as the weights were flying everywhere and I couldn't keep up!

Hello to everyone else smile.

Well my back feels OK today so will tentatively restart my exercise. Think I'll do a L1 Shred to start off, see how it goes, and then back into S&S tomorrow!

The good news is my dog is so much better!! He raced around on the walk like a puppy and is now zonked out in his bed smile It's early days as i have to make sure the bleeding doesn't start again, but so far so very good!

Have a good day everyone x

MissTFied Thu 17-Jan-13 16:55:12

Hi everyone,

I did another day of L3 RI30 today and didn't mind it at all. Cool down seemed to come quickly, which is always a good thing.

Three steps - thanks for the encouragement and good to know you are back in the game grin.
Les Mis wasn't my cup of tea. If you don't like musicals, then I doubt you'd be able to suffer 2 1/2 hrs of non-stop singing. I esp disliked the half-singing half-talking between the songs. We were bored, which was a shame 'cos we don't get out much! Although saying that, I'm determined to see Django Unchained in order to have a good cinema experience this year.
I was thinking about how your dog is doing, pleased to hear he is ok.

CHST - I've been looking into Chalean Extreme. Hmmm. It looks rather impressive. Maybe, maybe! I find looking forward to future DVDs exciting, though as yet I've not deviated from Julian. Would be interested to hear your updates as you progress.

PeggyO Thu 17-Jan-13 19:05:14

How was your Shred threesteps? Hope your back doesn't ping again! I'm so glad to hear your dog is feeling better.

CHST, good point, I had just assumed that my TV/DVD wouldn't play them! Some not-very-comprehensive googling suggests that it might after all...

Congrats on your RI30 MissTFied! I enjoyed L3. I also love planning future exercise programmes / DVDs, to such a degree that I sometimes wonder what on earth has happened to me...

L2 6W6P update- managed the pendulum lunges better today but dropped my weight at the end of the sledgehammers blush I laughed out loud at the bit where Jillian cheerily yells at Basheera and Maddie, 'I'm always watching you...it's just like a horror movie!'

MissT, it sounds like one to avoid for me then! I really don't like musicals, every time they start singing I think 'why the f**k have you started singing?' lol I can just about handle Grease, but only just! Well done with Ripped, L3 is a corker!

Yay well done Peggy! I thought exactly the same the few times I've done L2, when Julian goes "Maaaa-deee" - there's something very horror about it grin

I have a confession - I didn't do any JM today blush

The doc put me on some meds on Monday and I'm having rather bizarre side effects (can be expected apparently) - giddy, spaced out etc. so I've felt a bit scared to exercise! There's no reason I shouldn't really, I'm just being a bit of a wuss!

So I've decided to let myself off the hook this week and start again at the weekend when I'll hopefully be more acclimatised. At least now dog is on the mend I'm getting some exercise taking him out smile

So "Could Do Better" on my report card but I'm trying not to be too cross with myself!

Will check in again at the weekend with a more impressive progress report!

MissTFied Thu 17-Jan-13 21:15:40

Oh threesteps! No JM today? shock Poor you. Enjoy your rest if you can. I remember being on some morning sickness pills and feeling spaced out. Quite enjoyed it wink, same with the gas and air.

You do know you'll have to do double sessions at the weekend, don't you?! L1 followed by L2 of S&S on Sat and Sun.

SHE IS ALWAYS WATCHING YOU <hard manic laughter>

CHST Thu 17-Jan-13 21:50:13

did the cardio and ab segment today..in summary there are 3x weight work a week, 2 cardio, 1 ab and one short yoga over 5 days. The weight workouts are 30ish mins, one cardio is 45 mins, abs is 10 mins, other cardio is 25 ish mins and the stretch 20ish so never looking at a super long work out so I like that.
The cardio today was interesting. You'd recognise some moves from turbofire but it was like a section of 1-2 min cardio as intense as you could make it (I didnt find it too intense due to having done insanity I think) and then a strength section of the same length to bring the heart rate down. I only used 2kg on these bits and struggled! Was high reps low weight though and fast on some of it. I was aching a lot after yesterdays weights and also I sanded down the floors in the dining room which didnt help! I enjoyed it a lot though and used a band to go around my legs to do some of the cardio for more resistance. It certainly makes it harder. I love Chalene though, she is so motivating and easy to follow.
I looked at my arms today and can see a difference after only 4 days. I had good arms to start with but can already see definition and I have a v at the top of my arms that I have always wanted. I think I am going to really enjoy this as it is a good balance of weights and cardio, especially as I wanted to cut down the cardio generally in my workouts.

MissT you will definitely get those arms!

MissTFied Thu 17-Jan-13 22:49:13

Sounds very tempting CHST! Get you and your V arms! envy
Does this mean that after doing all of these beachbody workouts Jillian is too tame for you? Is there no going back?
Are you following the diet plan?
Good to hear you are aching. I made myself do NMTZ this eve just to feel the buzz of my muscles. Mmmmm. Feel all warm and fuzzy! [oddbod]

fadingblonde Fri 18-Jan-13 08:46:09

hi, just checking in, name changed from ellie. I've only been lurking on the thread over xmas/new year as I got a chest infection and did next to no Jillian. I think notyummy said not to exercise if symptoms were below the neck.

Tried doing shred L1 last week and felt like a beginner again. Walking sideway down the stairs the next day! This week I've done 3 BFBM but think I need to try NMTZ as upper body strength is definitely my weak spot. Struggling with 1.3kg weights at the moment. Or I might do 6w6p as I was two weeks into level 1 and I don't like to leave things unfinished. I'm getting a bit ocd about these workouts!

CHST Fri 18-Jan-13 09:14:42

welcome fading OCD is good!!!! Personally I'd go for NMTZ as it mixes things up...BFBM is cardio and 6w6p too. I was struggling with 1kg weight when I first started!
MissT they say any workout after insanity is easy and that is true. I definitely do not work up anywhere near of a sweat as I used to. I bought her killer abs dvd and found none of the 3 levels challenging. Killer buns and thighs feels a lot easier too. The only thing I find difficult is certain cardio sections still like a couple of circuits in BFBM and there is a cardio circuit level 2 KB with the star jumps.
I LOVE beachbody stuff though...Turbofire is very heavily cardio based which helped me reach my goal weight and Insanity and Body Revolution have helped me tone up...there are tonnes of push ups in Insanity so those sort of exercises have really helped strengthen my core. I really want to work on increasing my weight which I hope Chalean will help me do.
I do think that with doing half an hour of a Jillian workout, I have more in the tank so to speak whereas with insanity you are like finished after a workout and have nothing left at all

fadingblonde Fri 18-Jan-13 14:58:47

I've just done NMTZ's and it was perfectly painful, that was with 1.3 kg weights, a few months ago I could do it with 2.3kgs....I felt a bit pathetic when I was struggling to mash a potato afterwards!

CHST Fri 18-Jan-13 18:02:52

don't be disheartened fading I have days sometimes I also don't do as well. Maybe you can try again another day? I also find working out at different times of the day gives me different results...I suck if I work out too late at night..morning is best time for me

Well I was shamed into getting stuck back in today <hard stare at MissT channelling Julian grin>

I felt fine so I did my trusty L1 Shred to see how it went and it was fine. No back twinges and no falling over, result! Back to S&S tomorrow, hurrah...

Hey fadingblonde smile I think that using any weight for some most of the NMTZ strength stuff is a feat. My worst are the push outs with the lunge, they kill me! Well done for getting back into it...

CHST you are going great guns! Love hearing the reports on Charlene. I think I will revisit Turbo when I've gone through S&S properly... Does her Extreme do those 1 minute blasts like on Turbofire?

Will check in over weekend but have a great one everyone smile

PeggyO Fri 18-Jan-13 18:51:50

threesteps, definitely a good plan not to start waving weights around while feeling giddy... Hope you are able to get back to it soon.

fading, I am super-OCD about workouts too! Well done on doing NMTZ, and don't worry about the weights - you will build back up in no time I'm sure. I often use heavier weights on the first run through each circuit in NMTZ and then go lighter if I'm struggling on the second time through. It's the second lot of surrenders that kills me every time!

CHST, how amazing to see results so quickly. The Beachbody workouts sound seriously hardcore - I am a little in awe of you! I have thought about doing Insanity before but have always chickened out. Also, I don't want to drop my running but I'm not sure I could fit in 2/3 runs a week as well as an intense programme like that. But on the other hand I would really like a new challenge!

MissTFied, I love that muscle buzz. I am a little addicted to muscle soreness now too - I think I am a weirdo hmm

Speaking of soreness, now that I am nearly 3 weeks into 6W6P I can definitely say that I haven't felt it much in my abs at all! Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant workout, but most of my soreness has been in my legs. Am I doing something wrong?!

PeggyO Fri 18-Jan-13 18:53:12

Ooh, cross-posted with you threesteps. You are back on the Jillian horse - hooray!

This thread is not accepting new messages.