JILLIAN MICHAELS (Shred/Ripped and all the rest) Part 3: Bringing our A-game [cheesy smile]

(1000 Posts)

Here is a new thread for Jillian Michael devotees!

Whatever JM DVD you are doing, come and check in here...
Any Insanity and Turbofire lurkers, come and join too!

Hello to all from the old thread and big welcome to anyone new, come and join us smile

addictedismoving Sat 05-Jan-13 08:23:56

morning all, I could do with a huge kick up the backside! I only managed to do the warm up yesterday as I was hurting so much I thought it would be more benificial to have a rest day than push my body too far (underlying medical condition worsens with stress, which there is lots of atm, so I know that was the right decision)

So got up do level 1 of 6w6p got through the warm up and a couple of exercises, could barely breathe so stopped to take an inhaler, have a drink, changed a few nappies and now I'm sat on mumsnet with cbeebies on the tv. thinking, I'll just start again o n monday.

I need to do today or I wont do monday (tomorrow planned rest day) please someone get tpough and tell me to get off my backside and exercise, it will do me good, help my medical condition and help me loose this flabby tummy that having 2 children in 2 years has created.

its a stupid vicious cycle, the cfs (even tho is is mostly under controll atm) makes me shattered, good vigorous exercise helps but I just dont have the energy to start.

right now I've complained and moned I will start (right after mike the night finishes, there would be hell to pay if I did it before then. and the baby needs feeding and a nap, so right after that.

Morning all!

Some more feedback on L2 S&S: Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow grin

I felt some aching last night but boy this morning I feel it! It obviously does something then! MissT did you try L2 or just L1? L2 definitely worth a go if you haven't... I know exactly what you mean about JM being magic, I keep thinking that too!

Welcome Diabolo, to the JM appreciation club smile

Good to see you McPie, hope you get back into gym class zone soon.

Addicted, boy you sound like you have a lot on your plate at the moment. I know we all usually say 'push through the pain' yadda yadda, but I reckon you know your body best and if it doesn't feel up to it, I wouldn't push it. Could you maybe take it easy today and use the sunday rest day to exercise instead?

addictedismoving Sat 05-Jan-13 09:54:59

I did it! I didnt start again tho as I just couldnt face the warm up again so I started from where I left off, didnt do all of it on the 2nd time through, but I got to the end, I can relax tomorrow guilt free!

PeggyO Sat 05-Jan-13 19:56:37

Hello fellow Jillian-ers! I have posted once or twice before but thought it was time to de-lurk and join you properly.

I have been Jillianing for a while - first Shredding, then incorporating a bit of BFBM and NMTZ. In October last year I did Ripped in 30 all the way through, and in the run up to Christmas I did Jillian's 30 Day Slimdown programme (which is a combination of Shred, BFBM,and NMTZ.)

My New Year's challenge is to complete 6W6P! I had tried Level 1 a couple of times before, but it never really 'clicked' somehow. I'm now on day 3 of week 1, level 1 and starting to really enjoy it - I love (and hate all at the same time!) the spider planks and burpees. At the moment I am mainly following Jillian but need to do the modified Maddie version of the side planks, which are my nemesis. I'm aiming to be following Basheera for the whole workout by week 3!

Congratulations addicted on going back to your workout today! I totally understand where you are coming from as I feel really guilty and cross with myself if I miss a workout.

gingercat12 Sat 05-Jan-13 20:51:22

Well done addicted! You inspired me to get going today grin

PeggyO I am doing 6W6P for the second time, but I share your pain. L1 seemed just too boring for me for 3 weeks (although I persevered), so at the moment I do one week of L1 and then one week of L2, and so on.

A shiny new pair of handweights arrived into our house. Hurray! They are 3 kgs, so not huge, but a step up from my usual 2 kgs. They are also half the size of my 2kg weights, so a lot more ergonomic. John Lewis was a little bit confused, and charged us much less then we thought they should. I was desperate to try them out tonight, so currently I can't use my arms very well and my abs are screaming.

Desperately trying to get new sports bras as well, last year's are just too big. Sadly you can see into the changing room in our local sportsdirect and a bloke was standing in front of my cubicle talking to his girlfriend throughout my time there, and I could not do up the M&S sports bra without help - which is no good. In the end I managed to get one.

My exercise shorts have strings, so they do not actually fall off, but it would be good to get a bargain in the sales. So far John Lewis's own seemed the best. Very comfy (Nike in everything but name), and only £9. Unfortunately even size 12 was too big for me (which is weird, as I am size 14).

Anyone else kitting themselves out for the new year?

MissTFied Sun 06-Jan-13 02:00:35

Addicted - good for you! I can tell by your post you feel so much better for doing it. If you lose heart with 6W6P, then why not just stop it (for now!) and do the 30DS? I think there is less chance of 30DS becoming a chore.

I did 6W6P for 5 weeks, then moved onto RI30. I may try to carry on with it alongside, but I realised I will need to shift the layer of stomach fat first before I have any chance of a 6 pack showing through. They may well be there for all I know, but the fat is doing a good job of hiding it!

Threesteps - yes I did L2 after L1 (well I got up to when it said 30 mins had gone by on the DVD player, so I almost did it). I must admit I didn't like those side-travelling walking push-up things. Couldn't really get to grips with same arm same leg.

My current plan is to complete RI30, then maybe a good blast of BFBM, then KB&T.

PeggyO Sun 06-Jan-13 08:25:43

gingercat, mixing up the levels sounds like a good idea - I am determined to follow through the plan this time round but I suspect I will follow your lead next time.

I got a pair of jogging capris in the M&S sale, which were £17.50 reduced to £6! Unlike my last pair they don't have a chunky zip just above the bum which means I can comfortably do mat work in them. I really need some new sports bras too but am putting it off as they seem to be so expensive! A new Decathlon has just opened near me so I may go and see if they have any sportswear bargains soon.

Rest day today - phew! Yesterday I went for a run and followed it up with L1 6W6P. Doing both wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I do feel like I have earned my rest today...

gypsyfloss Sun 06-Jan-13 08:43:11

Just catching up, been 6w6p'ing on alternate days. Great to see so much enthusiasm for Jillianing or Julian grin. My trick will be keeping it all going when the 5.30 alarm calls start again tomorrow.

Threesteps hope your dog continues to do ok.We've got a lab and a pointer x and they've had weird tummy stuff going on for the last few months, so I know what a worry they can be.x

McPie Sun 06-Jan-13 12:11:37

I found that I felt the ab sections in NMTZ more than doing the whole of 6w6p plus I get the benefit of all that arm work too. Classes start back tomorrow but I will be working NMTZ in where I can as my stomach and arms are my worst areas.

gingercat12 Sun 06-Jan-13 15:09:23

McPie You should namechange soon with souch weightloss! NMTZ sounds fab.

gypsyfloss I am dreading tomorrow as well. I was telling DH there is absolutely no way I can get up at 5.50 on Monday.

addictedismoving Sun 06-Jan-13 15:16:39

missT its not the workout, its everything. Its partly depression and not wanting to do anything, and its partly CFS/ME meaning I cant do much. The exercise helps with both conditions, but doesnt help with the energy levels. I want to do it and am really looking forward to doing it tomorow, but tomrrow morning, I will be exausted and wont want to do it, although I'll really want to at the same time iyswim. Its why dh is doing it with me, so we can push eachother to keep going. and also why I have joined in with this group, its easy to miss a workout when its just me, but when I have this in my 'threads i'm on' reminding me and making me feel guilty and when I have dh pushing me (in a loving friendly way) to do more, I have less chance of failing.

anyway gingercat, i also need some new sprots bras the ones I have are a back size 36 and I'm now wearing a back size 32!

gypsyfloss Sun 06-Jan-13 15:34:44

I know gingercat . My DH goes to the gym at that time so I have no excuse really...other than a warm bed smile

Wow this thread is so busy it's great! Welcome to all new-joiners smile

Gypsyfloss - lab and pointer...lovely!! My boy's had tummy problems (bleeding) since I first got him 10 years ago, but we've mostly been able to manage it until recently. I'm estimating he's already lost 25% of his tranfusion blood but am keeping on, it's so hard - you veer from feeling hopeful to hopeless in the blink of an eye sad

Hmm, exercise gear. I look mainly worzel gummidge. It's whatever scrappy t-shirt and track suit bums come to hand. Not v pleasing to the eye I would have thought grin

Well L2 S&S has taken me right back to the first days of Shred in terms of aching! I've done 1 day of L1 and 2 days of L2 so far. I'll do another of one of the levels today but certainly not the 2 together at this point, I just couldn't, although maybe I could??? I need Julian in my sitting room to crack the whip!

MissT do you mean the one where you do a plank jack and press up at the same time? God that one floors me literally The other I hate is the hip heist into press up...bloody ow!

Addicted seriously well done you for keeping on despite how you're feeling. Use this thread to stay motivated, we'll be here smile

Have an hour to make up my mind...have a good evening everyone smile

gypsyfloss Sun 06-Jan-13 17:45:58

Go for it threesteps smile you do double so I don't have to grin
Our rescue pointer came with tummy probs and has pancreatic insufficiency , requiring enzyme supplements on her food. They only diagnosed this after a long period of weight loss, bleeding , lethargy etc and even now new vets are surprised she has it as it's more common in German shepherds . The rescue place were are at the end of the road with ideas for her and the enzymes were tried on the off chance, with great success. Sorry, off on a slight tangent there!

I copped out of 6w6p and did l2 shred instead. Think I need a new challenge , am bored now. Perhaps I'll have to check out S&S ...if I feel brave enough grin

Hi gypsyfloss, that's really interesting, thank you smile I'll look into the enzymes as I haven't heard of that - mine has been on antibiotics for forever. But their conditions sound very similar. Mine's also a rescue and the very famous rescue centre never once mentioned any problems to me although they must have been aware as he had them from the outset. I don't mind though cos i luffs him grin Thanks again (and sorry for thread derailment everyone!!)

I wish I could say I did the double, but it was just L1 S&S for today. I'm enjoying it though and added some more weights into the mix.

My plan is to continue through next week, building to a double whammy next weekend. I like a target grin

Hope everyone's doing well x

gypsyfloss Sun 06-Jan-13 18:21:52

threesteps we knew what we taking on with ours but the downside is that she's not insured for the condition and the enzymes are getting harder to source due a manufacturing problem. They're currently 50 quid/mth compared to 27 for 2-3 mths supply . Good job we love her smile

Gypsyfloss I have sent you a PM smile x

MissTFied Sun 06-Jan-13 21:32:14

Hello everyone,

Today I thought I'd try L2 of RI30 as I found L1 not challenging enough. Pleased I did, and I also added on BFBM! I loved having a good sweat! I thought I have come so far since starting Julian in October with 30DS that doing L1 was a step backwards.

Addicted - we'll be on here to help you where we can. Your DH sounds like a good 'un to be doing it with you.

Threesteps - I'm rubbish at remembering the names of these moves, but the one I meant was where you start in plank, do a press up, then move sideways
using the same arm and leg, another press up, then another sideways move etc until you die. I prob did it wrong as it takes me a few goes to get the moves. I'm quite uncoordinated. The more you talk about S&S, the more attractive it is becoming to me, especially as you are aching. Is the time flying with it though? it just seemed quite long to me.

I have the most fabulous workout gear - a sports bra, tatty headband, and PANTS! I look the dogs (which is why I love doing this at home)! Poor DC and DP! I just get so hot in bottoms.

gypsyfloss Sun 06-Jan-13 22:26:15

threesteps got it, sent long replysmile

PeggyO Mon 07-Jan-13 07:50:57

Good morning everyone! I'm back at work today so it was my first early morning exercise session in quite some time. My alarm went off at 5.15 and I was so tempted to stay in bed, but I just kept telling myself how brilliant I would feel when I was all done and heading for the shower!

Did L1 6W6P for the 4th time, and it's definitely getting easier. It probably helps that I now remember the whole routine, so I can psych myself up for the tough bits rather than getting to them and thinking 'she wants me to do what?!' I followed it up with a 20 minute arm workout on Youtube.

gypsyfloss, gingercat and any other early risers, hope it wasn't too painful this morning!

MissTFied, I agree that L1 of RI30 is a little too easy if you've already done Shred. Although I think L2 is much harder than any of the Shred levels - is that the one with duck walks and bear crawls? That combo was always a killer for me!

gypsyfloss Mon 07-Jan-13 08:07:59

Oh peggy I feel very guilty now! My elbow was sore , got a pinched nerve, so my alarm didn't go till 6 an then I opted to rest it grin . I am exceptionally impressed with your dedication though. I will be joining you on Weds I promise smile

Morning all!

Gypsyfloss thanks so much for PM, really v helpful smile Hope your elbow gets better soon...

PeggyO respect to you! I always admire the early morning exercisers. I couldn't do that at all! I think the earliest I've done was 9am and that was a struggle!

MissT, ah yes those travelling plank things are 'orrible. The small exercise area I have seems to make them easier though...
You may not feel the aches as much as me from S&S as I have a feeling they are mainly because I slacked off in the month up to christmas. But, even so, I'm enjoying S&S, particularly L2 - it seems to be quite intensive on the buns which is always a good thing!
Main aches have been backs of thighs, bum, arms and chest, ah, pretty much everywhere then grin

Plan to do L2 later today and alternate the levels through the week until the double helping at the weekend...

Have a good day everyone

addictedismoving Mon 07-Jan-13 10:06:00

I did today, with dd1 joining in too, well attempting to she led on her back and kicked her legs alot then did a bit of jumping! (shes 2!)

Just a quick question, doing the second round of burpies I felt a bot of a 'pop' on the left hand side of my abdomen. I tried to carry on but it just felt really uncomfortable so I did alot of stretches and left it for today. it still does feel uncomfortable, no pain just uncomfortable. normal or not? if normal I will finish this evening.

x-posted with you addicted!

Hmm not sure, but it sounds like it could be a muscle strain? Stretching was a good idea. Perhaps you could see how you feel later? I think discomfort in terms of effort is always good, but perhaps not so much if it's a specific part of the body.

Sorry, that's probably not much help! See what others suggest...

addictedismoving Mon 07-Jan-13 10:21:39

three thats what I thought, a muscle strain, I will finish off later then. I agree discomfort is always good, it was just the sudden feeling of the pop and the localised area that had me wondering.

This thread is not accepting new messages.