JILLIAN MICHAELS (Shred/Ripped and all the rest) Part 3: Bringing our A-game [cheesy smile]

(1000 Posts)

Here is a new thread for Jillian Michael devotees!

Whatever JM DVD you are doing, come and check in here...
Any Insanity and Turbofire lurkers, come and join too!

Hello to all from the old thread and big welcome to anyone new, come and join us smile

CHST Wed 21-Nov-12 21:12:29

those are static chops in 6w6p. In BR, you lunge and swing at the same time with a lot of force like you are trying to hit someone behind you.

CHST Wed 21-Nov-12 21:14:17

ginger don't mention those mince pies...I have heard before how yummy they are. I am not even eating anything christmassy till December!
notyummy that is really cool what the physio said!!! woot woot!
I really hope your back gets better soon

gingercat12 Thu 22-Nov-12 13:09:36

notyummy Hope you are slowly getting better.

CHST Lunge and swing at the same time?! shock Sometimes early in the morning I (nearly) fall over with the static lunges as well... blush I am not always 100% awake though.

CHST Thu 22-Nov-12 14:58:37

Killer abs arrived in the post! I have sort of previewed the 3 levels. Looks pretty fun actually...level 3 looks a bit crazy with some wierd moves. I notice how she has used a few insanity moves. Having looked at p90x, I see that about 80% of the things in Body Revolution are taken from p90x. It was quite surreal watching Tony Horton almost doing a carbon copy of body revolution in parts.
Still I will try level 1 tonight and get back to you!

gingercat12 Sat 24-Nov-12 14:01:30

CHST Killer abs and body revolution sounds fab. I might have to try them both. Next year I would like a compliment like * notyummy* - not very likely. Although I have just noticed in the mirror how much my body changed grin.
Yesterday I did my knee in, could not do lunges, so could not get past warm-up in killer buns. Did BFBM instead.

CHST Sat 24-Nov-12 15:04:55

Hi ginger! Glad to hear you are seeing changes!

I was going to kill myself yesterday with either an insanity workout or bob Harper but was feeling pretty meh so tried out the killer abs level 1. Pretty doable really but probably one of the harder level 1s I have done of her workouts. I did, however, do advanced version on everything by adding weight where possible. Might try level 2 in a bit if I feel like it.
Must say I hate this time of year...seem to be getting the munchies really really bad.

Greetings all!
I have been a terrible thread follower of late, I don't check in so much when I'm not exercising properly, which is silly as it would probably motivate me!

Well done you Insanity peeps. Those results look really impressive!

Ginger have you tried Heston's cauliflower cheese? It is amazeballs (my new favourite word!)

welcome to the thread aroom - well done for getting stuck in. smile

notyummy hope you're starting to see some improvement on your back. I've also been suffering this last week and together with a horrible cold I've barely done a thing this last week. I did do a L1 shred today and all seems okay though, fingers crossed...

may attempt a killer buns tomorrow - I'm certainly going to be avoiding going out as the weather is horrid!!!

enjoy the rest of the weekend

CHST Sat 24-Nov-12 20:05:40

hi threesteps ! Lovely to see you! Weather is indeed horrid!
Just did killer abs level 2..a step up from level 1 and first circuit particularly taxing on the abs. I thought I would note here for you all the exercises in the three levels. She seems to do a lot of combos in this dvd which I like but can be tricky to get used to.

LEVEL 1 LEVEL 2 LEVEL 3

Warm Up Warm Up Warm Up
march in place windmill skaters *plank step ups
*hip circles *jumping man *crescent pose floor taps
*mummy walk *halo squats *cardio sprints
alternating knee thrusts skips *plank step ups opposite leg
plunges crescent pose opposite leg

CIRCUIT 1 CIRCUIT 1 CIRCUIT 1
*inchworms *wide push ups *sledge hammers
*static sumo oblique *extended plank *knee tap jumps
crunch *chest press into fly into *backward lunge with
*crescent pose with headbanger in hollowman pass & jump
forward crunch *around the world hip heists *warrior 3 crunch
*roller boat *sumo boat *triangle pose rotation
*high knees with with static military press
torso rotation

CIRCUIT 2 CIRCUIT 2 CIRCUIT 2
*static lunge torso *diagonal touchdowns *ab hold to plank row, tricep
rotation *side lunges with fly kick back,down
*river dance *standing weighted *bear hops
*down dog knee to mountain climbers *superman pass
nose *good morning with press *sit ups with dumbell punch
*weighted triangle *alternating lunge chops *around the world
*jump rope drills

CIRCUIT 3 CIRCUIT 3 CIRCUIT 3
*star crunch to *push up into table *side lunge with rotation
reverse crunch *bicycles in boat and hop
*plank jack mogul *superman into pike *twisting lunge
combo *chaturanga to knee *single leg burpee with
*tornadoes thrusts push up
*bear walk to crab *side plank angel *side plank kick outs
*twists *hanging mountain
climbers

CIRCUIT 4 CIRCUIT 4 CIRCUIT 4
*ab hold knee to *side to side huffs *ab hold one arm,one leg fly
armpit circle to elbow *sit up stand ups *clapping mountain climbers
*dancing crab *reverse plank with *up and overs
*uneven table knee slams *hollow man press,fly, scoop
*ab hold to pike *three point burpee *squat thrust combo, bent
*carolina *scissor abs with leg straight leg

wow that took ages! Let me know if you want to know about a particular move! I can't wait to try level three. It looks really fun. I have enjoyed level 1 and 2 so far, will probably be up there with my favourites. I like how here dvds are different and not the same moves churned out dvd after dvd. She really has tried to innovate here by using the combos.
dumbell pass

CHST Sat 24-Nov-12 20:07:42

ok that looks different than how I did it! First exercise in the line is level 1, second level 2 and third level 3. Sorry it looks all mixed and mashed up. sad

CHST Sat 24-Nov-12 20:25:14

Ignore previous posts, I will write it again as it is a big blur!

Level 1
warm up
march in place, hip circles, mummy walk, alternating knee thrusts,plunges

circuit 1
inchworms, static sumo with oblique crunch, crescent pose with forward crunch, roller boat, high knees with torso rotation

circuit 2
static lunge with torso rotation, river dance, down dog knee to nose, weighted triangle stretch, jump rope drills

circuit 3
Star crunch to reverse crunch, plank jack mogul combo, tornadoes, bear walk into crab, twists

Circuit 4
ab hold knee to armpit, circle to elbow, dancing crab, uneven table, ab hold to pike, carolina

Level 2
warm up
windmill skaters, jumping man, halo squats, skips, snap kicks

circuit 1
wide push ups palms face outwards, extended plank, chest press into fly into headbanger in hollowman pose, around the world hip heists, sumo boat

circuit 2
diagonal touchdowns, alternating side lunge with fly, standing weighted mountain climbers, good mornings with press, alternating lunge chops

circuit 3
push up into table rotation, bicycles in boat pose, superman roll into pike crunch, chaturanga push ups into knee thrusts, side plank angels

circuit 4
side to side huffs, sit up stand ups (like cross legged rock n rolls), reverse plank with knee slams, three point burpees, scissor abs with dumbell pass

LEVEL 3
warm up
plank step ups, crescent pose floor taps, cardio sprints, plank step ups other leg, cresent pose floor taps other leg

circuit 1
sledge hammers, knee tap jumps, backward lunge with pass and plyo hop, warrior 3 crunch, triangle pose rotation with static military press

circuit 2
ab hold into plank row, tricep kick back pivot and down, bear hops, superman pass with weight, sit ups with dumbell punches, around the world

circuit 3
side lunge with rotation and hop, twisting lunge, single leg burpee with push up, side plank kick outs, hanging mountain climbers

circuit 4
ab hold one arm leg and one arm fly, clapping mountain climbers, up and overs, hollow man press, fly, scoop and release, squat thrust combo straight leg, bent leg

themaltesecat Sat 24-Nov-12 20:38:08

Hello, all! Thought I'd pop in as am a big JM fan. At the moment do NMTZ about three times a week, BFBM 3-4 times a week (seriously, people don't find that challenging? It kills me even after a month or two), bits of Body Revolution (mostly the nice wee cardio segments), Killer B&T maybe twice a week (love it! Loved seeing Natalie and Anita again, and it really makes my legs properly sore), 6wk6pack (which I like, but think it goes way too fast) and of course good old Shred (Level 2 is my favourite).

No one I know in real life knows who Jillian Michaels is so this is fantastic reading all your posts about her! I've come home! grin

gingercat12 Sat 24-Nov-12 20:57:50

themaltesecat I know what you mean about JM being unknown. DH was shocked to see her on a huge billboard on Times Square, and I saw a picture of her on a shop in Budapest as well. Welcome!

CHST Thanks for writing down the exercises. I like KB L2, as it is quite hard for me grin

Hello threestepsforward! Sad to hear you have a cold. So do I. I hate it. I am convinced I caught it the morning I did not exercise. Here is some hot tea for you brew

My brew and biscuit are prepared so I can enjoy the Killing III.

thanks gingercat - I have some revolting echinacea (sp?) and raspberry tea which I can just about stomach! Why do all these things taste so horrid lol?

it's just gone on for so long, and along with a grumbling lower back and personal life in disarray, the wheels have really come off this last week or two grin

No matter, I survived my L1 Shred yesterday and will do the same today, still don't feel brave enough to attempt anything harder! <kicks my own butt off sofa and into exercise gear>

Hi CHST (i think you are now officially "well hard"!) and welcome themalteasecat smile You have found the JM lurve thread!!

notyummy Mon 26-Nov-12 10:02:28

Still out here reading all about your explots. Kepp it up!

Back was getting better but I just couldn't do what I was told (which was basically no exercise AT ALL barring a few stretches and walking at a medium pace) and I have used the crosstrainer and done a short run. Cue my back regressing yesterday to being as bad as it was 3 weeks ago. Utterly infuriating and I am getting crabby with DH who is off out on 10 mile runs and busy hefting weights all over the place. Completely irrational I know. Am going for a walk today and then some very careful pilates. Trying to watch my diet as am convinced that change of lifestyle will lead to me being massive by Xmas if I am not careful. Quite depressed about it all tbh. Physio had mentioned swimming which bores me silly, but we took DD on Saturday. I didn't have much time, but DH played with her for a while whilst I did 15/20 lengths (lost count) and my back felt much worse afterwards so not sure if that ius going tobbe the answer.

Anyway. Will try and make next post less self pitying and all about me!

babbas Mon 26-Nov-12 10:10:21

Hi everyone. Have been feeling slightly off colour and only shredded once last week. Eeeek. But since cutting back exercise I have lost 3lbs which I can't believe. Have decided to jillian it 4 times s week instead of every day as still need to lose pounds. So back on l2 shred this week and going to try and do bfbm which I love. Next week will do killer bt for a week as I love this too and it hurts. An worried that I have become addicted to jillian. I really loves her.....

Hi babbas, well done on the weight loss, that's fantastic!!

notyummy, I'm so sorry you are having such a bad time with your back sad. You can sense the frustration (and pain) in your post. Re the swimming, that always hurts my back for some reason, even when it's not that bad at the time, so it may be wise to lay off that too if it's aggravating it?

I really really hope it starts improving soon. Sending healing woo vibes your way... x

Arcadie Mon 26-Nov-12 13:39:54

So I can just about do 30DS Level 3 now. (although travelling press ups are frankly ridiculous).

So I thought I'd have a go at 6W6P. Oh. my. Word. Even the warm up makes me hurt. And half of them I agree would be doable if you didn't have to try them at 50miles an hour. Seriously I thought I was going to put the weights through my window at one point. I will try it again tonight when I'm not having to compete with my 2 year old for floor space or suddenly finding I'm doing plank jacks with him "riding hossy" on me! Oh and my back is pretty sore today frm yesterday's efforts. that's ok right?

EarnestDullard Mon 26-Nov-12 14:05:16

Yay for level 3 Arcadie grin I think I'm going to wait till after Christmas before attempting the Shred. That way I'll be at least 12w post-childbirth. Till then I'll stick to running and maybe some lower impact DVDs if I can find the time. Also need to stop comsuming my own weight in chocolate hmm The run up to Christmas is a bad time to be trying to lose weight!

babbas Mon 26-Nov-12 21:14:13

Thanks threesteps. It's taken ages to lose anything.

Ernest I would wait a bit longer. I had my dd three years ago and still suffer, erm, pelvic floor ishoos when shredding. Especially when going from jumping jacks straight to floor for abs work. Tmi I know but I had to share!

OHforDUCKScake Tue 27-Nov-12 12:15:14

Wowzers! A whole thread dedicated to this, I had no idea!

Can I ask a question?

I started the shred dvd yesterday full of enthusiasm, and determined to do the 30 days. Except Ive fallen at the first hurdle, this morning my legs are so painful Im struggling to stand up, and walking like an idiot because its so sore. I was going to carry on regardless but when do saw the state of me ge said Id injure myself if I did it again in that state. confused

Is it normal to barely be able to walk forbthe pain, after day 1?

Did I do something wrong or do you all just power through the pain?

I cant even touch my leg without it hurting. <pathetic>

But Im determined to do this!

gingercat12 Tue 27-Nov-12 13:23:46

OHforDUCKScake Welcome! Have you done your knees in? Or what part of your leg is hurting?

babbas You are not on your with issues...

OHforDUCKScake Tue 27-Nov-12 13:29:28

Hi Ginger, thanks.

Its my muscles. The whole of my thighs from my knees to ny hips. Im ashamed to say I resorted to neurofen! I never take painkillers but I had housework to do and I could barely walk. blush

Arcadie Tue 27-Nov-12 14:02:14

OHforDUCKSsake Yes, that's perfectly normal. Do the shred again today and tomorrow. By Thursday it'll stop hurting and you'll already feel the benefit. I was almost bed bound after day 1 but nurofen yourself up and keep going.

OHforDUCKScake Tue 27-Nov-12 14:09:12

Ok great! I think Ive missed my window of oppotunity now though (I do it when the babys napping). Will try though, if not I'll do it tomorrow with no more days off. grin

Arcadie Tue 27-Nov-12 14:46:31

Well done you DUCKS. I find with the shred that if I do it pretty much every day ( even if I haven't got time to finish it) then the next day is MUCH easier. If I miss 2 days in a row it's not like starting again, but I'm noticeably worse for it.

I've just done my 2nd 6W6P. Agqain, easier second time already - but the speed is ridiculous. and don't even get me started on her "take a moment to contemplate" nonsense at the end. If I wanted an empowering life force motivational I'd be reading my Bible not sweating in my front room!

This thread is not accepting new messages.