Low carb for those of us who aren't hardcore enough for Bootcamp/Atkins induction etc

(680 Posts)
QueenStromba Fri 06-Jul-12 22:02:53

This is a thread for anyone who wants to eat fewer carbs but has either failed on plans than start out really low carb or just doesn't want to eat very low carb for whatever reason. I'm of the opinion that the high carb diet recommended by the government is the cause of obesity and related diseases and that any reduction in carbs will boost health.

While the Bootcamp threads are fantastic, I think a lot of people find it difficult to dive straight into eating very low levels of carbs which leads to giving up by day five. I did this myself when I first tried low carbing last April. I wasn't even trying to eat induction level carbs, just cut out the obviously high carb elements of my diet (rice, potatoes, pasta, bread etc) and I still nearly killed my housemates. It was about six months before I tried low carbing again and I went about it in a completely different way and have ended up eating induction level carbs through preference.

First I cut down my carb portions slightly in each meal, waited a week or two then cut down the portions even further so I was only eating about half the starch element that I had been in each meal. The next thing I did was completely remove the starch from one meal - I think it was breakfast I did first. I had been eating a poached egg on a slice of toast with a slice or two of lean bacon and some mushrooms or spinach - all I did was cut out the slice of toast and replace it with more veg or an extra egg depending on how hungry I was feeling. Once I was happy with that I started on dinner. Instead of rice I had cauliflower rice, instead of potato mash I had cauliflower, swede or celeriac mash and instead of noodles/pasta I had either shirataki noodles or thin ribbons of courgette. For the first while I still mixed in half a small portion of e.g. rice with my cauliflower rice. I normally made enough dinner to have leftovers for lunch the next day. I lost really well on that without worrying about how many carbs were in veg and I still had milk in my tea and berries with yoghurt. I also had a couple of beers a week and the odd slice of cake or whatever. I only went very low carb after doing a lot of reading and deciding that eating a diet very low in carbs and high in fat (including saturated fat) is the healthiest diet for us.

captainmummy Thu 12-Jul-12 18:08:30

Yeah love all those too, but nothing quite matches a nice new potato, hot from the pan, salted and dipped in chili.

sad

Although the butter on everything is a bonus! Tonight i had aubergine, thinly sliced and fried in butter/oil and rolled round feta. Was yum but feel a bit sick now - too much oil i think!

Definitely won't be hungry for a while!

hillyhilly Fri 13-Jul-12 08:27:27

Last night I had sirloin steak, griddled asparagus, roasted leek, courgette and aubergine and a large field mushroom --- yum yum yum and I lost another lb this morning!!

QueenStromba Fri 13-Jul-12 14:50:10

Today I didn't eat until lunch time (quite common for me) and then went to a steakhouse for lunch. I had garlic prawns for starter and shared a platter of fillet, sirloin, rib eye and rump steak with my DP along with peppercorn sauce, mushroom sauce and salad. I'm absolutely stuffed now so dinner will probably be late and light.

Osmiornica Fri 13-Jul-12 15:03:45

So how bad is black pudding? I quite like it with bacon and eggs but I know it can contain oats but surely not that much?

QueenStromba Fri 13-Jul-12 15:22:01

16-21g per hundred which is very high - bread is only about 40g per hundred.

Osmiornica Fri 13-Jul-12 18:55:39

Really? Oh dear. I bought some for the weekend. Looks like it's bacon and eggs (yet again!) sad

Osmiornica Fri 13-Jul-12 19:07:35

Sorry, should have said thank you in there .. thanks smile

Selky Sat 14-Jul-12 07:58:55

I haven't lost anything yet. sad

QueenStromba Sat 14-Jul-12 12:25:54

How long have you been doing it and can you run me through a typical day's meals Selky?

shouldbedoingtheironing Sun 15-Jul-12 21:13:20

I'd like to join too smile

Very chuffed after losing more than anticipated low carbing but I want to maintain the weight I am now without cutting out carbs completely. It works well for me as a way of eating as wheat doesn't agree with me at all but I can eat some in moderation like a slice of toast and poached egg for breakfast.

Problem for me (like others no doubt) is cooking meals that suit lower carb for me but also for family. Spag bol without the pasta works ok but harder for other meals!!

ZZZenAgain Sun 15-Jul-12 21:19:07

I am having a go at low carbing and it is working out well for me but I think I will try your gradual reduction method with dd. She does have a lot of carbs in her food and this would be a good way of turning that around a bit.

nappyaddict Mon 16-Jul-12 11:40:17

I was told that 60-80% of what you eat should consist of high water content foods - fruit, vegetables, juices, smoothies and soups. Only the remainder should be made up of eggs, meat, fish, rice, bread, potatoes, nuts, seeds, pulses and dairy.

Does that fit in with low carbing or not?

Osmiornica Mon 16-Jul-12 13:35:37

Not really as juices and fruit are high in carbs - the juices in particular unless they're veg juices. The veg is ok and soups depend on what's in them ie no spuds/thickeners. Not sure about smoothies as I don't know what goes in them (don't like them that much).

I'm finding this easier now o am going to start going lower on the carbs again. I'm no longer craving bread and haven't had any for ages.

quirkychick Mon 16-Jul-12 13:45:16

Ooh hello!
Can I join? I have been doing the eat more to lose weight thread using mfp and slowly cutting down the carbs. Using mfp to track carb/fat/protein.

I am now just eating a little oats with a protein porridge: protein shake, oats, flaxseed, greek yoghurt & berries for breakfast. Otherwise mostly fish/egg salads for lunch and meat/fish with veg for dinner. Nuts and occasional cheese/dark choc for snacks.

I looked at the bootcamp but ran away <wimp>.

ValentineBombshell Mon 16-Jul-12 20:36:39

Is there a website where you can get meal suggestions and recipes for lo-carbing? I am a carboholic and particularly in the evening I can undo a day's good work. This week I have cut out bread.

cuggles Mon 16-Jul-12 20:43:09

ooh - sounds like the perfect gang for me here...I have started WW, the genesis fasting diet, my own mix and match, SW you name it since January and whilst I have lost a few inches here and there I am stuck with about a stone to lose and a flipping great muffin top for which I did blame the DCs but since DS is now 14 months I have to get real. Was hoping to diet for holiday about 6 months away but it is now 7 weeks! Have just had Pizza and Garlic bread which confirms for me that wheat and I dont get on and so here we go. I did cut out bread for 9 months a few years ago and felt much better but it has crept up and up. Starting with breakfast...what is best - porridge??

Sprogged Mon 16-Jul-12 21:01:14

Hello, can I join too please? Dh has been paleo for couple months now, that's the same as low carbing isn't is? The weight's dropping off him but he doesn't eat til tea time at the weekends. Is there a list of dos and don't anywhere? For example, I have eggs for breakfast, but usually with a slice of gluten free toast. Is gluten free okay or would no toast at all be better? Thanks in anticipation x

shouldbedoingtheironing Mon 16-Jul-12 21:17:28

The low carb diet I was following allows a slice of toast for breakfast and an open sandwich for lunch although preferably not both on the same day and no carbs in the evening. This worked really well for me. Poached egg on toast is great stuff for breakfast! No porridge was allowed in this diet though cuggles!!

Sprogged Mon 16-Jul-12 21:50:46

Thanks shouldbedoingtheironing, love a bit of toast to mop up the yolk, yum, roll on breakfast smile

QueenStromba Mon 16-Jul-12 22:22:50

shouldbedoingtheironing: Maybe it's the food I normally cook, but I don't normally have any problem low carbing something but still making it acceptable for everyone else with a different accompanyment. Have you tried mashed cauliflower or celeriac as a replacement for mash, grated cauliflower as a replacement for rice and courgette cut in ribbons with a veg peeler as noodles/spaghetti? Celeriac is also brilliant instead of potato in chips and roast potatoes - I do a lot of meals that are chips/roasties and roast meat of some sort. For things like fish pie and shepherds pie, I normally just do cauliflower or celeriac mash for everyone - because this isn't a low calorie plan then it's ok for everyone.

ZZZenAgain: Good plan - I think that everyone could benefit from eating less carbs and John Briffa does recommend low carb even for children. I'm all belly and have been since I was a child and was borderline prediabetic at the age of 29 which had a lot to do with my genetics but probably just as much with the fact that my diet as a child was almost entirely carbohydrate.

Hi QuirkyChick smile I don't blame you for running away. The bootcamp rules are basically impossible to stick to - I can eat less than 20g of carbs a day most days but I can't follow the Bootcamp rules for more than 2-3 days!

ValentineBombshell: Theres a Bootcamp Recipe Thread which has a load of low carb recipes (few of which actually conform to the Bootcamp rules. I've put some of my own low carb recipes on there. I can also recommend this site. I've found that whenever I fancy a particular food which is a bit on the carby side if I google the name of the food and low carb then someone has come up with a recipe for it.

cuggles: Welcome to the thread. The best breakfast on a low carb diet is something egg based. If you're worried about time then it's possible to scramble 6 eggs in some butter in a minute or so in a large frying pan - this is my "really can't be arsed" breakfast for me and my DP. Leftover dinner from the previous night is also a good option. If you don't want to cut out carby food in all of your meals then going for porridge at breakfast with skimmed milk is the best choice - have a google for the Harcome Diet if you're interested in that. She suggests that it's fine to eat high carb, low fat meals and high fat, low carb meals but you have to leave 3-4 hours between meals and you can't have lots of fat and carbs in the same meal.

Hi Sprogged, welcome to the thread smile Paleo is a low/lower carb plan depending on your food choices. The mad strict low carbers would be shocked by the fact that you can have fruit and the occasional potato but it fits in nicely with my personal ethos of finding your own level of carbs that you would be happy sticking with for the rest of your life. I don't have a list of dos and don'ts that I recommend - I really do think that everyone should have a play around until they find out what works for them. No toast is best but gluten free toast is better than normal - I normally have a load of fried mushrooms with my eggs which I find really filling and have practically no carbs. If your DH is doing Paleo then you should get him to show you the ropes - it would probably be a nice thing for the two of you to do as a couple. Maybe you can get him to join the thread too!

QueenStromba Mon 16-Jul-12 22:27:46

Cross posted there! shouldbedoingtheironing - of a small amount starchy things at just one meal if you really need to have carbs is probably the best way of doing things because it will allow you to go into fat burning mode for say 15 hours of the day. I personally think that porridge is better than bread though because wheat is the work of the devil as far as I'm concerned.

captainmummy Tue 17-Jul-12 08:18:07

Are you a dietician QueenStompa? Nutritionist?

quirkychick Tue 17-Jul-12 08:28:11

valentinebombshell this website: www.marksdailyapple.com is a primal/paleo blog with loads of recipes. Also in the beginning bit he talks about slipping into this woe.

I will look at that website with recipes, thanks QueenStromba. And thanks for this thread, exactly what I am trying to do.

Creamtea1 Tue 17-Jul-12 08:57:35

I'm staying here, I get ignored on the other thread now anyway meh
So, talk to me about pork scratchings/crunch - I've been having real cravings for them and cannot find them anywhere. I don't know if it's specifically for them or whether it's something salty I am wanting?
Also, cannot get past my current weight - have been stuck for nearly 2 weeks now (yes have been good) - any ideas?

GibbsGirl Tue 17-Jul-12 09:42:01

Would like to join too. Just started reading up on this and am trying to cut down on carbs as it feels less harsh/dramatic than cutting out completely and we do love rice and pasta in this house. Had bacon and mushrooms for breakfast this morning, instead of toast or cereal though so will see when I feel hungry (usually at 10am!) Also love to bake - we always have cakes in the house, does the need for something sweet diappear and what about offering something to guests?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now