Couch to 5K - to infinity and beyond...

(1000 Posts)

A new thread for those of us who started in January 2012 and anyone starting now. Everyone welcome for support, encouragement and occasional arse kicking smile

scarletsalt Wed 20-Feb-13 14:30:43

Loving that playlist Ezza ! I am doing the nhs podcast with Laura (or Emma?!) so am going with cheesy motivational music, it does make me smile as I am running along!

I did week4 run 3 on Monday. Normally at the gym I do my running after 1 or 2 excercise classes, but monday was an extra session as I am on half term this week so hadnt done a class beforehand. And I found it easy ! Couldnt believe it when I had finished! I really ramped up the speed at the end as well. I honestly cannot believe how much better at running I have become in a month!

So its week 5 run 1 tonight, am not too worried about this one, not sure how they are expecting me to do 20 minutes non stop in 2 runs time though, eeeek!

frenchfancy Wed 20-Feb-13 16:55:55

You'll manage it scarlet. If I can do it anybody can.

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Thu 21-Feb-13 07:44:02

Is there an easy way (or website?) to find out how many beats per minute a song has? I don't seem to be very good at guessing, so listening and counting is a slow process!

Read back up thread scarletsalt, everyone worries! Take it steady and you'll do it!!

No idea about music, I run with whatever comes on shuffle and say yes to ones I know are good and skip anything too slow smile. Recently been running at training or with a friend so not much cause for music recently sad

Training last night was a killer!!!!! Did 2 mins fast, 4 mins at 5k pace (apparently supposed to not be ableto talk hmm), 8 mins at 10k pace then back down 8, 4 and 2 each with 2 mins recovery where I do my mum run wink. Training was 40 mins plus jog to it and back was 10.13k in 58 mins so I'm chuffed with that!

MegBusset Thu 21-Feb-13 14:50:29

Just checking in to say well done to all the novice runners. keep at it smile

I am on week 10 of couch-to-10k now, doing one 10k training run each weekend, plus a couple of 5ks during the week. I actually got out of bed at 7am today to run 5k before the kids got up. Running 10k seems reasonably achievable now; I don't think I would ever be brave enough to attempt a half marathon, but then I once thought that about running 5k!

pennygallops Fri 22-Feb-13 12:16:14

Well done on the training session cinnamon. Sounds tough going but very rewarding. I have started researching progression training and interval training - seem simple enough to have a go at. I'll ask for advice tomorrow at the parkrun.
Haven't been able to run much this week - I've been struck down by illness - firstly a tummy bug and now a mild cold. I'll see have a go at the parkrun tomorrow.
Have you done the 20mins yet scarletsalt. Once you have done that, you are a runner and I found I progressed rapidly from that point. It was a mental thing for me.

I did the w4r1 yesterday grin but couldn't post because internet in my building is still out sad. I keep finding it amazing how each week the runs get easier. All last week , including Wednesday, the 3 minute runs half killed me, but yesterday when the 3 minute runs were the short ones I found them ok. grin

jchocchip Sat 23-Feb-13 07:06:09

Hi everyone! My foot is still painful after a run. Bit better yesterday when I put ibruprofen gel on it. Must get to the doctor! Volunteering today at parkrun but will take my kit and try to run a lap or two at the end. Happy running smile

Well done NurseEzzzaChapel!

Hope your foot is better soon jchocchip, I barely notice mine now!

Abandoned my run after 8 mins last night then tried to run back so totalled 15 mins. I've got a cold and just couldn't catch my breath which in turn gave me a constant stitch! Have an endurance workshop at my club today and its snowing yay! Can't breath, snow on the ground so I decide to spend 3 hours outside training and listening to an ex-Olympic athlete hmm

BsshBossh Sat 23-Feb-13 11:18:21

Hope your cold gets better soon cinnamon.

W2R3 completed. Next run (week 3!) on Monday. So far I'm really enjoying it and have decided that if I find the runs hard I'll simply repeat a week (if a an work out how to repeat a week on my app).

Well done BsshBossh!! You'll be fine, the plan is well designed smile My c

Whoops!

Cold is better today, feel normal just bunged up. Did another interval session at workshop followed by a 5 min relay (did 60 shuttles, so 12 myself as 5 in team) and then a Pilates session which was really interesting and I'm hoping to try some at home!

pennygallops Sat 23-Feb-13 19:53:41

I too am full of cold cinnamon and I didn't sleep well. On opening the curtains I saw the snow coming down heavily, so decided to volunteer at the park run this morning. But my DS managed a very respectable 31.29 in a good covering of snow and with the snow continually falling.
Early night tonight - hopefully manage 5k tomorrow.

jchocchip Sat 23-Feb-13 20:34:33

We didn't have much snow although it was threatening to - could see small particles in the air. Enjoyed volunteering, and went for a run to the path across the golf course later so had a good day. foot is a niggle, but I find it hard to fit in a trip to the doc, silly appointments system means ringing up at 8.30 when I am already at work and don't usually take the car so difficult to get there. self medicating with the ibruprofen helped but it has gone on too long now.

Hope the snow goes away and we can all go out for a run smile

Well done for volunteering pennygallops and jchocchip! I've said I'll do the test run for the new park run in my town next week. They've trained today and want 20 people to run next week to make sure the volunteers know what they're doing. I've had my barcodes for months so will be good to put them to use!

Hope you're feeling better after an early night pennygallops. I'm babysitting until 12.30 so no early night for me :-(

pennygallops Sun 24-Feb-13 07:42:41

Hope your foot is better soon jchochop. I am going to go out for a tentative run later, haven't been for a run since last Monday and I'm itching to go. May have to carry my box of tissues at the same time.
New park run - that's very exciting cinnamon. Hope it goes well.
And to everyone else, happy running!

jchocchip Sun 24-Feb-13 09:07:55

Yay for new parkrun, how exciting smile

Phew! W4R2 done.

I found today hard, for two reasons: 1) my knee has been hurting me since Friday and 2) term has started so I found myself running around the track with a bunch of kids during their PE lesson. blush

Although the knee problem is likely to have something to do with me not being able to get a decent pair of runners until next week, I think the marathon shopping trip I did after my run on Friday would have had something to do with it: 8 hours of shopping for presents before I fly home, which involved a lot of walking. Even the bus rides weren't the gentle sit down they are in the UK, as seats on the buses here are rare and the drivers are maniacs behind the wheel so a bus ride is really good core stablity exercise! grin

My knee pain was entirely from a non running activity NurseEzzzaChapel! Shopping sounds like fun. I would offer you my dh who sorted my knee but its a bit of a trek smile. You seem to be romping through the plan, well done!

Did you get out pennygallops?

I didn't even attempt it yesterday as we had a nice family day (apart from dh going to work when I have the kids anyway) before back to school and the mayhem that comes with it! I'm working mon, tues and thurs evening this week so will only run weds and possibly fri if I feel up to it.

Chopstheduck Mon 25-Feb-13 07:44:00

Morning girls - I'm back!

Planning to go for a run today, but a bit nervous because I didn't manage to do anything while I was away. I didn't even look in the gym in the end. We were on the go everyday, and walking miles, and went skiing. So we were too tired and achy to even think about going to the gym!

Great to see everyone else is doing so well.

pennygallops Mon 25-Feb-13 09:22:52

I did get out... My DD has decided she wants to try the park run, so my DS and I took her to try the course. She managed one lap and decided it was enough. So I did a gentle 3K and decided to keep the parkrun just for my son and I.
It's nice to have a family day cinnamon.
Let us know how your run goes chopstheduck.

BsshBossh Mon 25-Feb-13 13:00:02

W3R1 completed smile

Welcome back Chopstheduck, glad you had a fun filled time smile

My dss is 11 and has been on one run with me on his bike and that was too much for him! I'm very impressed your children run with you!

Well done BsshBossh smile

Chopstheduck Mon 25-Feb-13 15:59:36

run was surprisingly ok, I managed the 3k I was aiming for, so happy with that!

Had my bodyshop party cancelled due to poorly host so I went for a lovely 8k run with my friend, 58 secs quicker than the last time we did the same route 9 days ago smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.